• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS puts invasive ads for Forza 7 in FH3

gamz

Honestly, the ad makes sense in context of the game. If they showed a Coke commercial or some shit like that would be shitty. They are pushing their family of games for their intended audience.

I noticed recently there are ads for FIFA 18 in FIFA 17. Fortunately they just sort of play without sound in specific menus -- it's not like you have to watch skip through them or anything.

Does anyone remember when WipEout HD added full-on commercials into the loading screens? That quickly got patched out if I recall.

watdaeff4

I haven't bought the latest CoD games, but I know that even the old ones on 360 would advertise the newest one once it came out.

I even jumped into MW2 the other night on 360 and I saw a MW3 prompt. Halo has been doing it for a while too if memory serves.

To me that's not a lot of examples. And one of those is another MS franchise.

I don't think it's as bad as Sony putting an auto playing ad on the PSN store. If I don't press down as soon as the store loads, the ad starts playing. That one actually irritates me. I agree that it would be better to have no ads in any games, but this one doesn't seem too egregious to me.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Xbox is the Hulu of consoles. I'm a Gold subscriber. Why the fuck am I seeing ads on the dashboard and in games?

I really don't see any problem with devs putting ads for their future content in their existing content. I don't get how it is somehow invasive. What are they invading exactly?

What if we lived in a world where a sizable portion of any games playerbase aren't keeping track of game releases as closely as we might think? What if those players don't consume coverage of games in the same way? Wouldn't an in-game announcement actually be kinda neat?

This is nothing new. For example Samsung have ads in their smart tvs. I'm so used to ads I don't bother. And this is ms having ads about another forza game. What's wrong with that? Don't see the problem.

Hawk269

I just loaded FH3, the video played, I hit "A" to skip it, then the menu to pre-order came up and I hit "A" again. I would say it took an extra 3 seconds of pressing "A" twice and I was done with it...but yeah it was so INVASIVE.

Keinning

So this is the reason gaf is going to use to shit on F7 after all the positive gamescom impressions? Smart.

The ad is annoying indeed, but hardly the end of the world. Would be miles worse if it were for Halo Wars 2 or Office365 like someone mentioned already. Adversizing a Forza game to Forza owners on a skippable ad (which so far hasnt repeated for me after skipping it once), sorry, not gonna lift my pitchfork for that, too much hassle

Lothars

Honestly, the ad makes sense in context of the game. If they showed a Coke commercial or some shit like that would be shitty. They are pushing their family of games for their intended audience.
It doesn't though, Most people won't preorder and it's invasive and annoying. I could care less about any of the mainline forza games anymore and stuff like this doesn't help. Stuff like this is shitty for them to do no matter the company that does it.

Montresor

I found this weird when I encountered this but definitely not invasive. That seems like an exaggeration to me. When I loaded and saw the video I was hyped thinking it was playing an introductory cutscene for the new dlc I had just bought. Turned out to be a trailer for Forza 7 which it let me skip... i found it harmless. *shrug*

Shin-Ra

I just loaded FH3, the video played, I hit "A" to skip it, then the menu to pre-order came up and I hit "A" again. I would say it took an extra 3 seconds of pressing "A" twice and I was done with it...but yeah it was so INVASIVE.
Sounds like the kind of ads you'd see in a free demo or freemium app, not a full-price game.

bitbydeath

Another thread shiting on MS, something's got to give.

giphy.gif

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
To me that's not a lot of examples. And one of those is another MS franchise.

CoD was the first one that came to mind.

I know there's been others. But they don't jump out at me mainly because they don't bother me. I only remembered CoD because I played MW2 last week.

Didn't Deus Ex do something advertising a Square game or something during a loading screen recently?

Edit. yep

Its a bit weird but its one time and I know a lot of people who play games and know absolutely nothing about upcoming games, I'm sure for them knowing about FM7 would be nice. If it came up every time I played (I play every week for forzathon) it would be fucking annoying, but a one time thing... eh, I can give it a pass.

Shin-Ra

If you don't pay for XBLG apparently it also forces an ad when you resume a suspended game.

It's bad. The PS4 is my main system but I got the Xbox One for 4K disc playback and a few games. The amount of ads shoved in your face is embarrassing. I don't pay for Live so I'm hit with an ad (to pay for Live) before I resume playback of my game I want to play. I really wish you could disable it.

Also again to the Hawk269 quote before, if you mashed A you'd skip the video ad but then choose Buy Now on the banner selection screen. They've deliberately swapped the skip/get out button so you have to consciously react to each screen.

Melchiah

Although playing the ad when you started the game is pretty bad, most games do this with the message of the day splash screen advertising the next game. It's also pretty par for the course to advertise a game's own expansion in the game. Of all the games littered with micro transactions today to say feels like a mobile game I feel Horizon 3 is a lot farther from it than a lot of titles atm.

I've only seen that with mobile games, like Plants Vs. Zombies, and Destiny. It was unacceptable there as well, since I had paid for them, and wasn't going to get the sequels, let alone everything else PvsZ pushed to me. Luckily, the invasive popup ads can be blocked by playing PvsZ offline.

EDIT:
If you don't pay for XBLG apparently it also forces an ad when you resume a suspended game.

Also again to the Hawk269 quote before, if you mashed A you'd skip the video ad but then choose Buy Now on the banner selection screen. They've deliberately swapped the skip/get out button so you have to consciously react to each screen.

I'd be infuriated, if that's what I had to do every time I return to the game.

Rellik

Reminds me of when every banner, poster, billboard etc in Skate turned into a massive bright ass yellow Simpsons ad. I turned the game off until they were gone.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The people dismissing this with a 'who cares' because it is skippable make me fucking sad.
How about a tiny bit of pushback to prevent our 70$ games from turning into an ad-ridden mobile-tier freemium experience. It playing plain video ads is unacceptable.

I can already envision the threads next year when the ads aren't skippable anymore. 'Dude it's just 30 seconds, you'll live, just go make a sandwich lmao'.
Fuck.

theWB27

This complaint about businesses running a business is out of hand. Not to mention they're showing you a game you clearly could be interested in since it's the sister series.

People want another example....nba2k does this. They display the next game on the scorers table during the game. Oh the horror.

The people dismissing this with a 'who cares' because it is skippable make me fucking sad.
How about a tiny bit of pushback to prevent our 70$ games from turning into an ad-ridden mobile-tier freemium experience. It playing plain video ads is unacceptable.

I can already envision the threads next year when the ads aren't skippable anymore. 'Dude it's just 30 seconds, you'll live, just go make a sandwich lmao'.
Fuck.

Yall have been warning about the ad/dlc apocalypse since the horse armor. Always a slippery slope.

RPGam3r

I mean this would be upsetting I guess if I hadn't experienced decades of trailers being put into movies I purchased, or even youtube showing me some ads before/during unless I pay for Red, or TV in general throwing commercials my way... that it has taken games so long to catch up is far more odd to me than a game showing you some ad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ads in the middle of gameplay are garbage, trailers in the middle of gameplay? Even more garbage. I actually remember Sony having a patent for this very thing at one point during last gen, glad to see they never included it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Fuck.

Slippery slope is considered a fallacy for a reason, my friend.

Just another one of GAF's bi weekly shit on Xbox threads.

I used to be actively upset at logging into my Xbox 360 midway last generation because it used to open to a page that was like 80% advertisements, so this doesn't exactly shock me. I was really glad when they eventually scaled the ad splash down on first login page in the Xbox 360 UI, but it felt like there was a solid 2 or so years where it felt like I couldn't be connected to Xbox Live without it actively trying to sell me something.

kevin1025

Banned
Slippery slope is considered a fallacy for a reason, my friend.

Just another one of GAF's bi weekly shit on Xbox threads.

I don't see it as shitting on Microsoft. I think that just shrugging off ads on paid games is a little too easy.

What if you get a Call of Duty ad every time you boot up Destiny 2, not when the splash screens are up, but after you load into the game? That's what this is like. Next time you open Battlefield 1, there's Battlefront II.

Ads in full price games is a little gross. It could have been a little window in the main menu.

Top Bottom