• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis Preview (Destructoid): "Ever Oasis Isn't What I Thought It Would Be"

Linkura

You realize you can try out a demo right now and see for yourself, right? A man's impressions based on what he thought a game would be and being in a gameplay genre he did not put much stock into does not mean that his experience will be the same as everyone else's.

The demo is extremely short and covers an area just a few hours in. It's not really indicative of the rest of the game from my understanding. Hell, 90% of the demo is combat, which supposedly isn't the focus of the full game.

Doorman

The demo itself is short and pretty adventuring-heavy if you just stick to what the game directly tells you to do, but delving through some of the menus and features in town gives you a further idea of what to expect in the main game. You can sort through the various available shops, add little town embellishments that help draw in specific customers or boost the effectiveness of certain neighboring stores, and other such stuff that adds a slightly more strategic element to town construction. The shops you do have can be restocked, though it didn't look to me like you get any royalties from Noot-shopping in the demo. You can even check out the garden a little, though I didn't personally try to plant anything. I get the game starting kind of slowly being a drag if the action is what you plan to focus on, but as long as it's lengthy enough overall I don't think that will be a huge deal. I got some real Legend of Mana vibes from playing through the demo with the amount of homestead customization and such (much like the gardening, monster-raising, weapon tempering, golem-creating and so on you could do in that game), though in Ever Oasis it looks to be both more streamlined and more necessary.

I'm really looking forward to having this as a change of pace in between faster and frenetic bouts of ARMS.

Didn't know there was a demo for this. Played through some of it and I must say it gives me the same kinda vibes as Dragon Quest Builders, which is a good thing. I think it could really use a jump button and a run button. I do like how you can switch which party member you control though. Probably will pick this up.

Top Bottom