• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

Pimpwerx

I think it's reasonable to expect that if I plug my controller into console X, it's not going to control console Y wirelessly in the next room. This is a fault of the DS4.
That's not reasonable at all. Bluetooth has been around over a decade and people have experienced all kinds of wonkiness in that time. It's not at all reasonable to assume a device being used in a way it was not intended would operate trouble free. It's not the ds4's fault idiots are trying advance applications without understanding what they're doing. How about buddy leaving his system on to download when he can do so in standby? He could then notice when the system turned on and investigated the situation. Dude needs to take responsibility for his own fuckup. PEACE.

Rafterman

Banned
While I can understand how annoying this must be for people, I don't really see why Sony have to sort out their fuck-ups for them.

This.

On the other hand, Origin for the PC does something that every digital service should do...24 hour game guarantees. If you buy a game on their service and you don't like it you can get a full refund within 24 hours of purchase. Steam should have had this a long time ago, and so should all the rest.

Pimpwerx

Have you ever returned something to a store after deciding you didn't want it?
Yes. Did I stumble into the store somehow and buy it by mistake? I'm all for changing digital return policies, but as long as they're the way they are, idiocy shouldn't be one of reasons for a return. Given my druthers, I'd love a lenient return policy like I get from Amazon, but PSN hasn't been that for everyone. Plus, people just need to learn some damn responsibility. Stupidity gets peddled around as consumer rights too often these days. PEACE.

I and obviously a lot of other people in this thread expected it. It's connected by two forms of communication. Why would one shut off when the other is in use? Makes no sense.

Other electronic devices do not act this way. For example, my wired/wireless mouse will, when given the chance to use either wired or wireless connections (sometimes on different computers), always prioritize the wired connection. That would make the DS4 alone in this kind of behavior.

bootski

assuming the content hasn't been accessed and the request for a refund was made in a timely manner, why WOULDN'T sony refund them the sale? the situation isn't likely to happen often at all and it's an opportunity for a goodwill gesture. not to mention that from the consumer side, i wouldn't expect my controller to control 2 systems at the same time either.

level44

Other electronic devices do not act this way. For example, my wired/wireless mouse will, when given the chance to use either wired or wireless connections (sometimes on different computers), always prioritize the wired connection. That would make the DS4 alone in this kind of behavior.

It seems some devices do and some don't.
Still the consumers fault for assuming. It would take just one button press on the remote to check.

I completely sympathize, but Sony have no guarantee that people would not abuse a good-will refund gesture. Especially for downloading something digitally, saying you promise to delete the content after a refund probably will not cut it.
Is anyone saying that? If Nintendo, who are in the digital stone age can revoke digital purchases* Sony can too.

*-I know of two situations. Art Style: Base 10 for having no left handed controls (it is played in the DS in book style so is left uncontrolable) someone got a refund and The Last Ninja 3 being completely broken meant you could request a refund (this took an embarrassing amount of time to get resolved as it was clear nobody had played the game past the first level as a 100% chance of a soft lock is pretty hard to miss). In both cases as soon as you connect to the shop the games are deleted and you are refunded.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

So what's this guy returning?

I guess now Sony's going to have to put out a patch that stops the DS4 from working with a PS3, to protect gamers from their own stupidity.

_hekk05

Banned

You don't see much of ridiculously lax return policies outside of America, and maybe some parts of europe? 30 days or more return window of an opened, non-faulty product? Lol I wish we had that here. Possibilities of abuse everywhere.

He will probably get his refund if he escalates enough and don't piss off the guy on the phone lol. Just has to work harder. Many people have gotten refunds from Sony in the past.

jimi_dini

It's a design flaw sure but it only manifests on, what I'm assuming isn't authorized use from Sony.

It could've easily be patched out sure, but why should Sony be obligated to clean this up when the device isn't even officially supported on the PS3. This is the same kind of issue that used to happen with unlicensed controllers on PS1/N64/DC that had subpar functionality.

Sony's own knowledge base says that it is supported.

That's like having Nintendo say on their website: Madcatz controller is supported on Wii U. Partially, but still supported. And then the controller fucks up the Wii U. And in that case, it would be Nintendo's fault.

A user googles "DualShock 4 PS3". Finds Sony's official knowledge base article. Follows it. They didn't mention about DS4 still communicating with PS4, even when being connected to PS3 or PC. They also didn't mention to turn off PS4. It's simply a fuck up on Sony's side. They didn't think about it, otherwise it would have been mentioned somewhere.

I completely sympathize, but Sony have no guarantee that people would not abuse a good-will refund gesture. Especially for downloading something digitally, saying you promise to delete the content after a refund probably will not cut it.

Wait, so Sony has no ability to revoke a license? At least they should definitely know if the game was played, because at least on PS3 that console sends out such information to Sony. If Internet connectivity is not available, it will save them locally and send that data out at a later point.

How does it work when disabling PS3s then? They definitely have to revoke licenses. Which means they could do that, check if the user's PS4 is online and that the licenses were sucessfully revoked and then refund the money. And when the user has already played the game, simply not refund. That would be absolutely fair for both sides.

How do you accidentally purchase a game ?

Serious question

By not looking at your screen while randomly smacking buttons. This is in no way Sonys fault and they certainly don't have to offer any kind of refund on the case.

People set up DS4 to work wireless with PS4, compalin when it works with PS4..... Didn't they notice the PS4 turn on?

_hekk05

Banned
Wait, so Sony has no ability to revoke a license? At least they should definitely know if the game was played, because at least on PS3 that console sends out such information to Sony. If Internet connectivity is not available, it will save them locally and send that data out at a later point.

How does it work when disabling PS3s then? They definitely have to revoke licenses. Which means they could do that, check if the user's PS4 is online and that the licenses were sucessfully revoked and then refund the money. And when the user has already played the game, simply not refund. That would be absolutely fair for both sides.

He's not saying they don't have the ability to, but that they are wary of abuses of the system, which is why sometimes they choose not to.

I thought you could download with 1 account, switch to another account, play it, switch back and ask for a refund? Or am I thinking too much

Raonak

Banned
assuming the content hasn't been accessed and the request for a refund was made in a timely manner, why WOULDN'T sony refund them the sale? the situation isn't likely to happen often at all and it's an opportunity for a goodwill gesture. not to mention that from the consumer side, i wouldn't expect my controller to control 2 systems at the same time either.

problem is that there's no easily way to verify whether a user has used the content or not.
I could easily buy something, (such as MGSV Demo), quickly finish it, bullshit my way into a refund by saying I accidently bought it. there's no real way to seperate a real case from a fake one. And sony want to avoid that. Especially since it's a reproducable error, and one that can't be really be fixed.

problem is that there's no easily way to verify whether a user has used the content or not.
How about trophies? The PS4 also tracks games you play for 'Whats New' at the very least. I'm going to assume even more is being tracked.

Just get the user to put their console online if needed so that the data is sent to PSN.

How about trophies? The PS4 also tracks games you play for 'Whats New' at the very least. I'm going to assume even more is being tracked.

Just get the user to put their console online if needed so that the data is sent to PSN.

I've played hours of Don't Starve without receiving a trophy. Allowing for refunds because you bought something on accident just something that opens up too many opportunities for abuse for something that is an edge case.

Triple U

Banned
Sony's own knowledge base says that it is supported.

That's like having Nintendo say on their website: Madcatz controller is supported on Wii U. Partially, but still supported. And then the controller fucks up the Wii U. And in that case, it would be Nintendo's fault.

A user googles "DualShock 4 PS3". Finds Sony's official knowledge base article. Follows it. They didn't mention about DS4 still communicating with PS4, even when being connected to PS3 or PC. They also didn't mention to turn off PS4. It's simply a fuck up on Sony's side. They didn't think about it, otherwise it would have been mentioned somewhere.
That article has been posted and addressed. Saying that the device will work on PS3 does not equal official support, PS3 supports most any generic input device, to include the DS4.

It says that the bluetooth on DS4 is incompatabile with the one on PS3. Which implicitly means that the PS3 can't take ownership of the DS4's radio. Why? Because it isn't officially supported.

I don't see why Sony should refund them. And why would someone want to use the DS4 on the PS3?

Because the DS3 is horrible compared to the DS4? I definitely can understand why. What I don't understand is why you would leave your PS4 on while using the DS4 and expect the it wouldn't do stuff on the PS4 when using it.

Chatin

My consoles are hidden from plain sight, so without my tv switched to the PS4 feed, I would have no idea that my PS4 had been switched on and was navigating the menus, and it is not a realistic expectation that everyone would expect a DS4 to simultaneously control two systems. The fact that I was able to play Lightning Returns on my PS3 reassured me that the control was synced to the PS3 (and would not be controlling my PS4 on the side).

If Sony chooses not to refund accidental purchases caused by this then that is an issue to be sorted by Sony and the accidental purchaser. The accidental purchaser is not an idiot for expecting a controller to only control one console.

-Amon-

If Sony chooses not to refund accidental purchases caused by this then that is an issue to be sorted by Sony and the accidental purchaser. The accidental purchaser is not an idiot for expecting a controller to only control one console.

My guess is that sony has no way to know if a purchase was accidentally made for this cause or not.

My guess is that sony has no way to know if a purchase was accidentally made for this cause or not.
Even if the person is lying about it being by mistake, good customer service should always be important. They should just assume that it was like that. Refusing a refund is ridiculous.

If someone didn't want something they bought by accident, they should get a refund, it's not a matter of 'being stupid' or not, they didn't want to purchase anything, so they should have to deal with that.

Of course, they could issue a claim with their credit card, but that could get messy.

My consoles are hidden from plain sight, so without my tv switched to the PS4 feed, I would have no idea that my PS4 had been switched on and was navigating the menus, and it is not a realistic expectation that everyone would expect a DS4 to simultaneously control two systems. The fact that I was able to play Lightning Returns on my PS3 reassured me that the control was synced to the PS3 (and would not be controlling my PS4 on the side).

Has Sony made any statements as for the DS4 being officially supported by the PS3? If not then is not safe to presume that it was only synced to the PS3. If not then it is safe to presume that it is being used unofficially by the PS3 and any consequence of that is on you.

Refusing a refund in this case is stupid.
It's clear that the purchase was accidental, so you should give a refund. That's just basic courtesy to a customer.
Hiding behind terms and conditions of use, or the fact that the purchase was made by inputs from the user doesn't make it less of a dick move.

Sony should make their store have some sort of protection against accidental purchases. Just making users enter a pin or password for 'real money' transactions would solve the problem.

As an aside, can you set up some sort of simple security system on PS4?
I'm thinking of buying one and don't want my son buying stuff 'accidentally'. I know I can use account passwords, but I don't want to have to enter my (secure >10 letter mixed-case/number/symbol) password every time I switch the console on.
Am I just going to have to not store any credit card details on PSN or is there a better way?

It's clear that the purchase was accidental, so you should give a refund. That's just basic courtesy to a customer.
Hiding behind terms and conditions of use, or the fact that the purchase was made by inputs from the user doesn't make it less of a dick move.

Sony should make their store have some sort of protection against accidental purchases. Just making users enter a pin or password for 'real money' transactions would solve the problem.

I'm thinking of buying one and don't want my son buying stuff 'accidentally'. I know I can use account passwords, but I don't want to have to enter my (secure >10 letter mixed-case/number/symbol) password every time I switch the console on.
Am I just going to have to not store any credit card details on PSN or is there a better way?
It's really not.

They do, it's called a password.

Yes you can. I have it setup to ask for password for every purchase.

Did it the moment i bought the vita, to double protect it if stolen.

Chatin

Has Sony made any statements as for the DS4 being officially supported by the PS3? If not then is not safe to presume that it was only synced to the PS3. If not then it is safe to presume that it is being used unofficially by the PS3 and any consequence of that is on you.
This was not in relation to whether or not Sony is obligated to provide a refund. It is in response to the expectation that someone would just know that their controller was controlling two consoles simultaneously despite any previous experience of this same scenario.

Did the DS3 do the same while being used with a PC?

Furthermore, if Sony is willing to acknowledge that the DS4 can be used with a PS3 (and they have), thn it is only good customer relations to provide a warning that the DS4 will remain synced to the PS4 during this time and precautions should be taken.

Am I going out of my mind or are people in this thread actually defending a no refund policy?

I have no words.

I'm with you.

It's amazing (in a bad way) how many people excuse anti-consumer practices like this over supporting a fellow forum member that has made a 60$ mistake that in any other market would be refunded without problems. Corporatist fanboy-ism at its worst...

I'm with you.

It's amazing (in a bad way) how many people excuse anti-consumer practices like this over supporting a fellow forum member that has made a 60$ mistake that in any other market would be refunded without problems. Corporatist fanboy-ism at its worst...

I'm not sure you know what Anti-consumer means. Sony not fixing people stupid, user error related fuckups is not "anti-consumer".

Always offer refunds when the situations are reasonable. It's good customer service which is ultimately good business.

The defense force for a "no refunds" policy is pretty baffling. I know some people have a preference to shy away from and shield themselves from anything negative about their favorite brands and companies (such is the nature of the kind of insecurity that tends to infect the minds of many gamers), but there's really no excuse for not being pro-consumer about these sorts of refund scenarios. And there for damn sure isn't an excuse for consumers to pitch a tent on top of anti-consumer policies unless you own shares.

Do better, people.

Thanks for this. It is comforting to know there are still people like you in these forums...

Realize the consumer was negligent but not malicious, I'm sure they can look at a customers transaction history this isn't a trend, offer the refund, and revoke the license, get it over with.

Just say, "Sorry about about your mistake, here's your refund. Just don't do it again..." and call it a day.

I'm not sure you know what Anti-consumer means. Sony not fixing people stupid, user error related fuckups is not "anti-consumer".

"Stupid, user error related fuckups" happen. When it's clear the buyer is not abusing policies and that he doesn't really want the product forcing him to "suck it up" is a a very stupid way of alienating a consumer forever and creating bad image.

I'm pretty sure you've done some of those "fuckups" in your life before (devices that didn't work for your use case, clothes that weren't your size after all, duplicate orders at Amazon...) and didn't have any trouble returning the item back after them.

The lack of this common-practice consumer policies on digital distribution channels (Steam, PSN, Xbox Live...) in the year 2014 when it has been shown is perfectly possible (Android store, Origin...) is as baffling as having regular consumers defending it...

I have play alot of games on my PS3 with the DS4, while my PS4 was on standby. Not one time have pressing the PS button turned on the system and started controlling both systems.

I have had my PS4 turned on while check something on my PS3 and it have never controlled both. I don't why or how this is happening but if it is true, I am sorry.

As for refunds, I don't know. It sucks.

linkboy

I have play alot of games on my PS3 with the DS4, while my PS4 was on standby. Not one time have pressing the PS button turned on the system and started controlling both systems.

I have had my PS4 turned on while check something on my PS3 and it have never controlled both. I don't why or how this is happening but if it is true, I am sorry.

As for refunds, I don't know. It sucks.

If a DS4 is hooked up to a PS3 (or PC) and not a PS4, it becomes a standard generic USB controller, which is why it won't turn on a PS4.

However, if you sync one up to a PS4 and then hook it up to a PS3 (or PC), the wireless connection to the PS4 doesn't disconnect since...

A) The PS4 is the only device the DS4 connects to over a wireless connection.

B) The DS4/PS4 connection is the primary connection.

The reason you can control both is because the PS3 accepts standard USB protocols. When the DS4 is plugged into it, the PS3 detects a standard USB controller and acts accordingly. The PS3 has no idea there is already a wireless connection established because it...

A) Has no idea what a PS4 is and can't connect to it's Bluetooth protocol

B) Doesn't see a Dual Shock, it sees a generic wired controller.

As for the return, Sony should go ahead and do it, couldn't hurt.

Top Bottom