• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

BaasRed

Banned
There's no way this doesn't end up being a massive trainwreck.

Like, I'm fully expecting a Pat vs Rich shouting match, at the very least.

2YStiRO.png

I CANNOT WAIT

@MUWANdo

Banned
W:"[...]but who's not there?"
M:"Nintendo"
W:"That's because they're skipping E3."
M:*annoyed*"They're not skipping E3."
W:"Nintendo to skip E3 press conference again in 2017."
M:"You mean the same thing they've done for the last couple years?"

Yes, Matt, the same thing they've done the last couple years - skip E3 press conference. Doing a direct is not them having a conference at E3. You don't have to always get miffed by anything that carries the slight possibility of potentially maybe being seen as a negative for Nintendo.

Nintendo angle aside, I imagine he was annoyed because they had the exact same discussion about the exact non-topic last year and have similar discussions about different topics at least once a week, ie "Woolie (mis)reads a headline only to find out it's not actually what he thought it was".

It's a regular occurrence (more so now that Liam's not there) and I don't get why it's still happening, week in week out. Read that shit before the podcast, dude.

K.Sabot

Disappointed the clemps spoilercast is 100% nuts and bolts and 0% thematic discussion.

For all the things yoko taro cares about in his stories, I feel like the hard sci-fi questions / answers / endings / where the story goes is his lowest priority. And his statements about life / the importance of games is his real intention to take away.

Even though none of the people involved ever played any other Yoko Taro game, I think the Waypoint Nier Automata Spoilercast got it right.

edit: they got to layer 1 of the themes in the game at least.

Does L.A. Noire really get praised for its faces? Because to me it looks really bad. Best I can describe it is it's like watching video of a face being projected onto a doll. The uncanny valley of it is just so stilted and jarring. I guess from a technical standpoint it's impressive. But from an aesthetic one it'd almost have been better to make them look less animated.

MrHoot

Disappointed the clemps spoilercast is 100% nuts and bolts and 0% thematic discussion.

For all the things yoko taro cares about in his stories, I feel like the hard sci-fi questions / answers / endings / where the story goes is his lowest priority. And his statements about life / the importance of games is his real intention to take away.

Even though none of the people involved ever played any other Yoko Taro game, I think the Waypoint Nier Automata Spoilercast got it right.

edit: they got to layer 1 of the themes in the game at least.

If I'm honest, I am surprised people expected different from Clemps.

I watched all his vids and I enjoy them a lot, but an analyst he ain't. He sticks to pure mechanics and surface-level spectator for the most part. His drakengard and Nier vids are the closest thing he comes to giving insight, and even then it's just paraphrasing Taro, not an actual analysis (and author's intent is often different from what you can analyze from it)

Mostly sad Pat didn't dig through further, what with his even small background in psychology (although I guess philosophy is another boat)

daevious

There's no way this doesn't end up being a massive trainwreck.

Like, I'm fully expecting a Pat vs Rich shouting match, at the very least.

2YStiRO.png

They say that if you put two Louis C.K clones in a room together the resulting meltdown would leave enough salt-induced fallout to last a century.

Anung

Un Rama
Does L.A. Noire really get praised for its faces? Because to me it looks really bad. Best I can describe it is it's like watching video of a face being projected onto a doll. The uncanny valley of it is just so stilted and jarring. I guess from a technical standpoint it's impressive. But from an aesthetic one it'd almost have been better to make them look less animated.

Didn't do much for me either. Forbidden Siren basically did the same thing a generation earlier so it's implementation didn't wow me so much. Plus if you look at it from any certain angles it just looks like shit. It looks doubly bad because the faces are so over animated and the bodies are so rigid.

So about $60 for a whole live pig.

Yeah... that's still really cheap for a living animal. Pigs go for about 125-250 base.

Today's pigs are bred much larger but with leaner meat. But a 1940's pig would be about $105 in today's money. At least if I did the math right. We need Eli in here to confirm (but GAF didn't like his email address).

Got to the Nintendo is having another Nintendo Direct this year instead of a press conference bit on the podcast.

You guys jumped on Matt for nothing. It was more of a Woolie not reading further than the headline thing again. Nintendo has skipped on press conferences for years.

Got to the Nintendo is having another Nintendo Direct this year instead of a press conference bit on the podcast.

You guys jumped on Matt for nothing. It was more of a Woolie not reading further than the headline thing again. Nintendo has skipped on press conferences for years.

It'd be nothing if it was a one time thing but Nintendo can't be mentioned without him preparing to get defensive and rather than taking the lead to correct the story he chooses to get sarcastic and grouchy. It's one of the times I miss Liam most because he knew how to correct a story and promote it into actual content to be discussed rather than just torpedoing it with awkwardness.

Watching the DS3 DLC and I don't know if its down to Pat but it looks really shit. Like they just went fuck it we'll just put in the most annoying things we can think of.

Watching the DS3 DLC and I don't know if its down to Pat but it looks really shit. Like they just went fuck it we'll just put in the most annoying things we can think of.

The bosses are good. The levels... uh, look neat.

The actual level design is kind of meh. I've seen far more people play it the way Pat has than not, and if I were to lay it out on a whiteboard, I would be making the argument that it was flat-out designed to be played that way, particularly The Dreg Heap.

The Ringed Knights are the only decent normal enemies they added, and they're not exactly treading new ground.

The items are mostly boring, other than Woolsworth's Twinswords.

Gestahl

Nah, what's there is great and most of it is fair if you don't act like a spaz (Judicator giants respawning is some dumb bullshit, though it's never an inconvenience). My issue is that the Ringed City itself and the last part of the DLC should have been fleshed out a lot more. If Pat hadn't got lost on stairs for 30 minutes and didn't choke on the optional boss he probably could have finished it with time to spare.

I love how Paige can't handle the fact that someone on Twitter told her What Remains of Edith Finch is a good choice for her because it doesn't have literally every kind of gameplay she sucks at (shooting, those shadow puzzles) and that the RE7 shadow puzzle fiasco wiped out all her street cred.

Some jackass lawyer on reddit conducted an AMA, twitter bomb, and youtube comment chain against Woolie trying to point out why he was wrong for the video.

I have no issue with woolie. Like him a lot. But people were taking this seriously and its heart breaking seeing people's lives destroyed over it. It happens way more than people realize. Not trying to overreact. Sorry if it looks that way!

Ignoring the fact that Woolie never once said this was sound legal advice in any form and also if you're taking legal advice from anyone on the internet, you've fucked up. In fact even in the video description, Woolie says:

As an irrelevant youtuber with no legal authority who's opinion does not matter, I think you should obey the law. Make your own inspired IP. We live in a timeline spoiled for choice with incredible new IPs with inspired mechanics. It's the safest/best route for new game devs to take. But if you've decided to take the risk of making a fan game & I can't convince you otherwise: Learn from cancelled fangames of the past.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Eww. Kinda makes me feel glad he's gone but that also makes me feel bad. :(

There should be some context for this. Liam is playing on the hardest difficulty and literally made every wrong decision in the beginning of the game to make it waaaaaaaaaay tougher than it should have been. I give him a lot of leeways to grind here.

Top Bottom