• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

video I put together for the local BMW dealer! http://www.gatewaybmw.com/gs-challenge-video/

Very entertaining :D

Some day if I live in an area that has better off road opportunities and I have the time/money I'll have to give it a go.

Of course. I've got a triple stacker sitting next to me right now waiting to get thrown down the hatch :p
Not to mention getting IV'd dilaudid every 4 hours when I was in!

Oh and I've got gloves now btw, I actually had them ordered but they didn't get in until after my accident. My luck.

Nice to hear. Heal up :)

Anybody ever removed decals using a hair dryer and de-slov-it / goo gone? I have a few FZ6 decals and the wear your helmet / only use petrol blah blah blah decals I want to remove.

Goo Gone works quite well to get the residue off, but I think on the thank stickers I've removed I've had to peel away with fingernails slowly and annoyingly. Too scared to try a razor. I didn't try a hair dryer like you said...that probably works much better :)

I got my much-needed tires put on and I finished putting the wheels back on the bike tonight. Cannot wait to get everything in order so I can finally get back out there. I haven't used Pirellis before, so these will be interesting to compare to the Power Pures and Q2s (they are the Diablo Rosso Corsas).I've only done several hundred miles this season so far :(

Goo Gone works quite well to get the residue off, but I think on the thank stickers I've removed I've had to peel away with fingernails slowly and annoyingly. Too scared to try a razor. I didn't try a hair dryer like you said...that probably works much better :)
Hair dryer and goo gone worked a treat!

Good lord the Supertech R boots are the best ever. They're very easy to get on and off, though still very secure (just clever). The amount of protection is excellent. That said, they are extremely comfortable. I don't actually have to wear long socks. The inner boot is pretty plush despite all its armor. There is a nice amount of foot movement allowed, which is cited as being another safety feature - slowing down the nature movement, which will allow for enough movement to help protect parts of the leg that would have leverage put on them in a twist, but not moving so much so that the foot is at risk. They fit well with my suit, also (Vortices never did, sadly). The inside edges are all smooth. Absolutely zero snag on any part of my rearsets. Sidis being spartan boots with all manner of adjusters, armor, and other crap outside really liked to snag on my shit. Absolute win on the part of Alpinestars with these.

ravien56

Good lord the Supertech R boots are the best ever. They're very easy to get on and off, though still very secure (just clever). The amount of protection is excellent. That said, they are extremely comfortable. I don't actually have to wear long socks. The inner boot is pretty plush despite all its armor. There is a nice amount of foot movement allowed, which is cited as being another safety feature - slowing down the nature movement, which will allow for enough movement to help protect parts of the leg that would have leverage put on them in a twist, but not moving so much so that the foot is at risk. They fit well with my suit, also (Vortices never did, sadly). The inside edges are all smooth. Absolutely zero snag on any part of my rearsets. Sidis being spartan boots with all manner of adjusters, armor, and other crap outside really liked to snag on my shit. Absolute win on the part of Alpinestars with these.
Any pics?

Any pics?

I had them on last page, but I'll just quote the review I posted up on the R1-Forum.

Alpinestars SuperTech R

6965407036_290bc7863f_c.jpg

Where to start? I needed to get a new set of boots. My boot history is Sidi Vertigo > Sidi Vortice > A* SuperTech R. Why leave Sidi? They do make some fine boots no doubt. I decided to sell my Vertigos when I realized I needed to size down, plus they survived a crash on the street when I was hit by a car. They were perfectly usable. These were made of leather.

I used the Vortices from early 09 (about when I bought my R1) up until a couple months ago. As it turns out, one of the boots suffered badly in this incident in August of last year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiUwh9rDGog The Lorica (which the Vortice and now all Sidi boots are made entirely of) wore almost entirely through on one boot on top of the foot. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I felt they should have held up better given I got hit going a little faster with the Vertigos, plus I was actually hit. Could just be bad luck. Either way, the Vortices had some features I didn't end up caring for. All of its vents (luckily the boot is perforated) eventually just stop moving. They get gunked up over time I imagine, and ~3 years of use take a toll. Secondly, they were pretty bad (OK very bad) to tuck a 1 piece into, even with the larger adjusters. Finally, ever since switching to aftermarket rearsets, the Sidis snag like a mofo. They seemed fond of the heel guard in particular. Sidis are generally pretty comfy boots, but they still feel like a motorcycle boot. Due to their design I'd have to wear tall socks (not so with the A*).

I know many here (and everywhere) swear by Sidis, and that's fine. Personal preference certainly plays a big role here.

So, let's start with where the Supertech R is different than the Vortice. Sidi tends to keep the inside of the boot mostly clean, and outside is where all the armor, adjusters, etc. are placed. They are out in plain view, ready for the rider to adjust the boot. If there is something Sidis have over all others, it is their adjustability and the ability to tighten so many different points on the foot/lower leg. Sidis also have more easily replaceable parts (soles, sliders, adjusters, and about anything else that is fastened on).

The SuperTech R (as you can see in the photo) is a pretty smooth-looking boot. It has various sliders and a bit of external armor, but overall it looks fairly tame protection-wise. That is because you cannot see inside when it's being worn. The SuperTech R has an inner boot with a bit more armor and it utilizes a comfortable, breathable mesh-like material.

6997641462_6a462ab4d9_c.jpg

The neon-colored laces can be rapidly tightened and then cinched down. Finally, they are secured by wrapping around the leg and there is a handy velcro attachment to keep them out of the way. Ultimately, the tightening/fitting process only takes a couple seconds the foot is in the boot. From there you can zip the boots up and then use a ratchet-like system to tighten them. Compared to the procedure required to put on the Vortices, it will take about 1/4 of the time overall, maybe less.

The boots have excellent dexterity and feel. Any time you reposition your foot on the pegs you can really tell a big difference. It doesn't feel like my foot has a solid, molded object around it that does not want to move. It feels quite a bit like wearing leather steel toe work boots that have been broken in a bit. The traction from the sole is very good and I felt no slipping. Oh, and the suit problem is non-existent - my Spidi JP3 tucks in very nicely and it feels fine.

As for sizing, I wore 43 EU in the Vortice, but for these 42 EU was perfect.

I very, very highly recommend these boots.

Damaged

Went to the practice day for the British Superbike championship today to see Nori Haga riding:

Always stuns me just how fast these guys are, just scary good

//B1G

Banned
Awesome shot. It's amazing to think about being in control of such a powerful machine at those high speeds and it being nimble enough to navigate through courses like that.

Progress report on the hand:

t8Oo

Went to the practice day for the British Superbike championship today to see Nori Haga riding:

Haga is awesome. I actually saw him back in the nineties on our Dutch TT Assen track, back when my dad worked for Yamaha. Haga's been around for a very long time.

Damaged

Haga on the R1 eh. That should be fun :p

Haga is awesome. I actually saw him back in the nineties on our Dutch TT Assen track, back when my dad worked for Yamaha. Haga's been around for a very long time.

Yeah, been a fan of his for a long time and this is the first time i have had a chance to see him ride in person. Awesome stuff

Awesome shot. It's amazing to think about being in control of such a powerful machine at those high speeds and it being nimble enough to navigate through courses like that.

t8Oo

Healing up well :)

Dear 2-wheel GAF, I hope there are some mechanically minded folk who can give me some advice. Today when trying to fit a tax disc holder (the joys of UK vehicle ownership) I was tightening the bolt, and as my luck today would have it, it snapped.

So... I ended up having to drill the bolt out, this now means to fit the tax disc holder where I want it, I have to put a nut on the back of the bolt to secure it (because I had to drill the tread from the fitting).

2012-05-06142946.jpg

I'm sort of worried that the chain might catch the bolt, it doesn't look particularly close in the picture, to give an idea of how close it is, I can't get my finger between the end of the bolt and the chain.

Do you guys think there's much chance of the chain catching it, (I'm not sure there is a great deal of side side movement on a chain) and if it did catch, is it likely to cause problems or do you think the chain would come out on top?

Dougald

Dear 2-wheel GAF, I hope there are some mechanically minded folk who can give me some advice. Today when trying to fit a tax disc holder (the joys of UK vehicle ownership) I was tightening the bolt, and as my luck today would have it, it snapped.

So... I ended up having to drill the bolt out, this now means to fit the tax disc holder where I want it, I have to put a nut on the back of the bolt to secure it (because I had to drill the tread from the fitting).

[/IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh25/kyleofsak/2012-05-06142946.jpg[/IMG]

I'm sort of worried that the chain might catch the bolt, it doesn't look particularly close in the picture, to give an idea of how close it is, I can't get my finger between the end of the bolt and the chain.

Do you guys think there's much chance of the chain catching it, (I'm not sure there is a great deal of side side movement on a chain) and if it did catch, is it likely to cause problems or do you think the chain would come out on top?

I'm by no means a mechanical expert but I did strip a thread on my front forks where my mudguard attaches. A friend of mine gave me a hand and what we did was drill out the hole (which it sounds like you have done), then tap the hole using a tapping kit. Then, we inserted a helicoil into the newly tapped hole (as this was now too big), so that I could safely screw the bolt back in.

It's probably a neater solution, but not as easy!

StuKen

My new bike. DL650 Vstrom. The old GS500F was getting a bit rough around the edges after 5 years of abuse so it was time for an upgrade. Nice going from a gutless parallel to a v twin, loads of grunt. Guess its time to do a bit of dirt trail riding once summer hits.

I'm by no means a mechanical expert but I did strip a thread on my front forks where my mudguard attaches. A friend of mine gave me a hand and what we did was drill out the hole (which it sounds like you have done), then tap the hole using a tapping kit. Then, we inserted a helicoil into the newly tapped hole (as this was now too big), so that I could safely screw the bolt back in.

It's probably a neater solution, but not as easy!
That does sound like a better way to sort it. I'll maybe give this a go.

ravien56

Finally got my m2 and looking to get a ninja 400 delivered by next week. I took my dads 2009 Yamaha fz6 for a ride this weekend and I loved how much power it had compared to the bikes that were available for training. Which leads me to ask you guys:

Would the ninja 400 still be a blast to ride? I barely pushed the fz6 and felt it had a lot of low end power.

My new bike. DL650 Vstrom. The old GS500F was getting a bit rough around the edges after 5 years of abuse so it was time for an upgrade. Nice going from a gutless parallel to a v twin, loads of grunt. Guess its time to do a bit of dirt trail riding once summer hits.

Awesome, nice pick-up.

Dougald

Just booked my Eurotunnel tickets for the Summer, in just over 3 months I'll be riding my Bonneville through France, Monaco and the Alps! I can't wait!

Just booked my Eurotunnel tickets for the Summer, in just over 3 months I'll be riding my Bonneville through France, Monaco and the Alps! I can't wait!

So jealous. Looks like my plans to get a brand new bike aren't going to pan out. Not sure if I want to lower my expectations or wait until next year.

Dougald

Hm, tough one really. Miss the whole summer of riding, or join us on a bike you're not so happy with. Is there a reason you can't get what you want until next year? I know when I bought my bike I ended up just breaking my budget, because I knew if I got something else I would only regret it until I traded up anyway.

NJ Shlice

Can someone tell me what 'type' of bike this is. I know the brand-name is Harley but if I were to look for others like this, what would I search for?

k7ioL.jpg

*EDIT. Looks like the Iron 883. 2012

12-iron-883-bs.jpg

daw840

Can someone tell me what 'type' of bike this is. I know the brand-name is Harley but if I were to look for others like this, what would I search for?

k7ioL.jpg

*EDIT. Looks like the Iron 883. 2012

12-iron-883-bs.jpg

I guess it would be considered a "standard cruiser" type bike if you wanted to put a label on it. You're not going to find many (any?) bikes that are real similar to the sporty.

Hm, tough one really. Miss the whole summer of riding, or join us on a bike you're not so happy with. Is there a reason you can't get what you want until next year? I know when I bought my bike I ended up just breaking my budget, because I knew if I got something else I would only regret it until I traded up anyway.

Some unexpected costs and the girlfriend wanted to go on a road trip, so that came out of my savings, which put me in a position with not being comfortable if I bought the bike. I didn't think it would be tough, but my other concern is that I won't be able to find my bike new next year. I mean, I tried buying the 2010 model last year and no one had it in stock. Worried the 2012 model will be the same.

k7ioL.jpg

Yep it's an Iron 883; it's the only H-D sportster with matte-black wheel spokes up front. It's also one sexy bike and I may end up buying one this afternoon (against some GAF advice) because I have no impulse control.

I just hope I'm not too tall for it at 6'. Maybe I'll post a pic of me on one and ask you folks if I look like a dingus.

Note: Only a monster would buy it in a color other than black denim.

Yep it's an Iron 883; it's the only H-D sportster with matte-black wheel spokes up front. It's also one sexy bike and I may end up buying one this afternoon (against some GAF advice) because I have no impulse control.

I just hope I'm not too tall for it at 6'. Maybe I'll post a pic of me on one and ask you folks if I look like a dingus.

Note: Only a monster would buy it in a color other than black denim.

I don't know man, that dark shade of blue looks pretty hot.

Beautiful bike by the way. My only objection would be, and it could be an uninformed one, is that it's not a 'real' Harley because it doesn't have the huge transmission separate from the rest of the engine. But who cares really. That blue one is pretty much what I would want a Harley to look like. No bullshit, nice, short and clean.

/edit: fuck, now I want one too.

daw840

They do look cool, but I just don't think I could ride it. They are quite underpowered. If you put the 1200 kit on it though it would be cool.

I haven't ridden the 883, but I did take the Buell XB9S for a spin (when I was close to buying one last month).

How do those compare in terms of power?

I don't know man, that dark shade of blue looks pretty hot.

Beautiful bike by the way. My only objection would be, and it could be an uninformed one, is that it's not a 'real' Harley because it doesn't have the huge transmission separate from the rest of the engine. But who cares really. That blue one is pretty much what I would want a Harley to look like. No bullshit, nice, short and clean.

/edit: fuck, now I want one too.

Actually all the colors look pretty good on it, I just think the black works best with the overall look. And because it's not a "real" Harley is why it's the only Harley I want; I really like the no-frills, simple but stylish look.

I was actually at an H-D dealership over the weekend looking at some Nightsters (they had no Irons) and saw that the Nightster, which is a 1200, weighs 3 pounds less than the Iron 883. They also have the same exact external dimensions, it's very confusing.

daw840

That's my guess. Less metal in the block of the 1200 vs the 883 because it's got a bigger bore....3 pounds still seems like a lot though.

Hey GAF, my girlfriends brother and I just finished our motorcycle class over the weekend. I had a blast. Driving a motorcycle is an amazing experience. I also had a great time learning in the class room. It was great. I'm hoping to get a bike by the end of this month. Just thought I'd share my excitement. :)

t8Oo

Did you injure both hands? The first picture looked like it was your left hand and the second looks like your right.

Either way, glad you're healing up.

//B1G

Banned
Did you injure both hands? The first picture looked like it was your left hand and the second looks like your right.

Either way, glad you're healing up.
Haha no, I'm not sure how it got all crossed up. Just my left hand.

And thats badass, Fallout! Good choice getting the better version haha

Hey GAF, my girlfriends brother and I just finished our motorcycle class over the weekend. I had a blast. Driving a motorcycle is an amazing experience. I also had a great time learning in the class room. It was great. I'm hoping to get a bike by the end of this month. Just thought I'd share my excitement. :)

Cool, be sure to report back here once you've gotten your hands on a bike. Or if you need advice on what to get :p.

Looking good there, Fallout.

Yeah thanks. It does look better than in the shitty phone pics.

Top Bottom