• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

ChanMan

YO peeps.

Felt this thread would be the best place to ask.

I've never played a Persona game before and will be feeling a old school RPG after completing Zelda and Nier.

Will I be lost if I jump into the series with Persona 5?

You won't be lost at all, they are all standalone games with this series with a few light references from previous games.

Just got my copy, and man what a beginning didn't expect the game to open up like that.

Swiggins

YO peeps.

I've never played a Persona game before and will be feeling a old school RPG after completing Zelda and Nier.

Nope, just be ready for a wholly different experience from any other RPG you've ever played...shit's gonna get weird and waifuy.

YO peeps.

Just jump in. You're are the absolute perfect candidate for the game.

wapplew

YO peeps.

Game does really great job easing player into all the mechanics while keeping you engage. Like FF, Persona story is new every time.
Just join the hype train.

Remind guys, did Persona 4 had auto text feature? It's been a while since I played the game, but I kinda dislike having to click x everytime to move up the dialogue in P5.

Remind guys, did Persona 4 had auto text feature? It's been a while since I played the game, but I kinda dislike having to click x everytime to move up the dialogue in P5.
P5 has it as well but it's in the config menu this time, rather than being in the corner at all times like in P4G.

Sorian

Banned
Called around to all my local mom and pops again, most of them sound willing to sell it and yet none have actually gotten the shipment in with it yet.

Ugh.

I just read about "homophobia" whatever that implies in this game. Maybe someone can explain this

Ehh, when I saw the scene I knew someone was going to take issue. I'll spoiler tag it
it's basically some NPC's at night that approach Ryuji and he's disgusted cause they're trying to hit on him.. some old guys in bad make up
unless people are talking about something else.

I tagged but it's a scene with a random npc at night.

Shizuka

Ehh, when I saw the scene I knew someone was going to take issue. I'll spoiler tag it
it's basically some NPC's at night that approach Ryuji and he's disgusted cause they're trying to hit on him.. some old guys in bad make up
unless people are talking about something else.

I tagged but it's a scene with a random npc at night.

Are there any other LGBT characters in the game?

I've only scratched the surface in my game, but the positive LGBT representation moves forward, although you'd need a quantum microscope to measure it.

This is apparently offset by some significantly tone-deaf joke NPCs.

:/

I guess it's at least not an inexplicable clear step back, like ME:A.

I'm just over 4 hours in and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's real fucking dark, too, and not just anime dark like P3. Like, strap yourselves in, kiddos. If you thought P4 was overly cheery about its issues then this has you covered.

As for the LGBT stuff, it's about what I expected after how awful P4 and its spinoffs were about it. Atlus just aren't there yet and it blows a big one.

I'm just over 4 hours in and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's real fucking dark, too, and not just anime dark like P3. Like, strap yourselves in, kiddos. If you thought P4 was overly cheery about its issues then this has you covered.

As for the LGBT stuff, it's about what I expected after how awful P4 and its spinoffs were about it. Atlus just aren't there yet and it blows a big one.

The country as a whole isn't there.

The country as a whole isn't there.

Very true, but outliers prove that no one should get a free pass. Yoko Taro has respectfully written LGBT people as major or even main characters in Nier, for example, and that really gives me hope Japan isn't a completely lost cause yet. We just need more of that and less of this.

Very true, but outliers prove that no one should get a free pass. Yoko Taro has respectfully written LGBT people as major or even main characters in Nier, for example, and that really gives me hope Japan isn't a completely lost cause yet. We just need more of that and less of this.

No lies detected, a little bit more of education on the subject could avoid this.

Aurizen

So out of curiosity how difficult is it to get money in this game? I want to be able to grind and get good money so I can buy strongest weapons.

Ken

So out of curiosity how difficult is it to get money in this game? I want to be able to grind and get good money so I can buy strongest weapons.

Not too hard which helps since there's definitely a lot of money sinks.

There's a coop that'll help you earn a lot of money, as well as a 99luck trick. I didn't do the latter.

The washed-up politician has an early coop bonus that lets you bargain for money from negotiations multiple times. If you rank it up again though it changes it to just increasing the amount you get so it ends up yielding less money overall.

The Guardian review mentions that each case feels like a ten hour chunk of game, much like a multi-season TV show. Could I theoretically break the game up this way? I cannot see myself playing a 100 game straight through. I'd need breaks.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The Guardian review mentions that each case feels like a ten hour chunk of game, much like a multi-season TV show. Could I theoretically break the game up this way? I cannot see myself playing a 100 game straight through. I'd need breaks.

The calendar structure makes it really flexible on how you can break the game up.
Really depends on how good your memory is. But honestly just doing 2 weeks at a time will make for decent gameplay sittings of course adjusting depending on times where you spend more time dungeon crawling/or times where it's more focused on boosting stats instead of experiencing Confidant stories.

wapplew

Pretty accurate.
Usually few days of linear story lead into the case, after that you are free to do whatever until deadline of the case.

There are guides already on GameFAQsand since they are based on the Japanese version if you don't understand Japanese they don't contain spoilers xD
afd.jpg_large

ViciousDS

Banned
am I the only one who loves the fact that the persona games include such a nice variety of game difficulties?

I love playing every persona game on the lowest such as Safety to get a feel for everything and then NG+ on a harder one to really test my knowledge.

I hate games in this day and age that don't include a narrative difficulty basically.

I actually think Zelda needed one, I know a lot of folks who love the new Zelda but just can't do it due to the fact that its a much more challenging experience compared to any Zelda they basically have made. Zelda should have had an easy mode where weapons rarely broke, and you couldn't get one shorted by mobs.

Popped the game in tonight for a couple minutes and god damn the art style in this game is so fucking slick, menus are so badass as well. Going to really dive in this weekend.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
am I the only one who loves the fact that the persona games include such a nice variety of game difficulties?

I love playing every persona game on the lowest such as Safety to get a feel for everything and then NG+ on a harder one to really test my knowledge.

I hate games in this day and age that don't include a narrative difficulty basically.

I actually think Zelda needed one, I know a lot of folks who love the new Zelda but just can't do it due to the fact that its a much more challenging experience compared to any Zelda they basically have made. Zelda should have had an easy mode where weapons rarely broke, and you couldn't get one shorted by mobs.

Popped the game in tonight for a couple minutes and god damn the art style in this game is so fucking slick, menus are so badass as well. Going to really dive in this weekend.

Yeah that's nice. I will say though I was disappointed by Challenge mode the dlc difficulty. Too easy not balanced against the opness you can have. :-/ was hoping for something SMT4 dlc like.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah that's nice. I will say though I was disappointed by Challenge mode the dlc difficulty. Too easy not balanced against the opness you can have. :-/ was hoping for something SMT4 dlc like.

I'm not normally one to play on the hardest difficulty ever, unless I seriously want to platinum a game for that one damn trophy. But I can see why folks want it to be as challenging as possible.

Question: are the animated cutscenes subtitled??? I read the eurogamer.es review and they said that the cutscenes don't have subtitles.

artsi

Question: are the animated cutscenes subtitled??? I read the eurogamer.es review and they said that the cutscenes don't have subtitles.

They are in Japanese version at least, but they're off by default, you need to enable cutscene subtitles from settings first.

The calendar structure makes it really flexible on how you can break the game up.
Really depends on how good your memory is. But honestly just doing 2 weeks at a time will make for decent gameplay sittings of course adjusting depending on times where you spend more time dungeon crawling/or times where it's more focused on boosting stats instead of experiencing Confidant stories.
There's also a story summary somewhere in the options menu, so you can refer to that if you forget stuff.

Hard to believe Persona 5 is almost here.

The game ended up being just like Square's major titles that take forever to come out that I'm honestly shocked we've finally made it. I don't know what to do with myself.

HMD

There were some questionable camera angles in a scene, I hope those weren't intentional just because a female character is involved. Because so far the game has been respectful and the sexist humor from P4 was toned down.

Ken

There were some questionable camera angles in a scene, I hope those weren't intentional just because a female character is involved. Because so far the game has been respectful and the sexist humor from P4 was toned down.

na, there is definitely intentional fanservicey stuff involving female characters but not that much (like 1 or 2)

Top Bottom