• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

RIP

He was the one who made Nintendo who they are now. Dammit, I really hope we got another person like him, because Nintendo lost someone great

from @joffocakes on Twitter

BUhLy5iCIAAoTnm.jpg:large

That's me! I'm upset it's so blurry; had to do it in paint at work so chose a wee low res image and it got all messy after the upload. Ah well.

I'm sad. He had a bigger involvement in my childhood than my own Da.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
The world and the industry has lost a great character, visionary, and pioneer.

So long you crazy magnificent bastard.

radcliff

I owe and thank you for my childhood memories and, presently, for the majority of my free time. Your contributions to this great hobby can't possibly to be calculated or measured.

RIP

RIP and condolences to his friends and family. Nintendo is my favorite gaming company and he was key to who they are and their success. Thank-you Mr. Yamauchi.

Meesh

RIP, this industry wouldn't be the same without his influence.

I saw Famitsu reporting it was pneumonia.
Holy...pneumonia is hard to recover from at that age no doubt. And if you're already had it youre susceptible to getting it again. Anyways he'll be sorely missed as the father of Nintendo.

Nicktendo86

The pimp hand has finally been laid to rest.

Very sad news, has hit me harder than I thought it would. The industry simply wouldn't be here in this form today if it were not for this man. RIP.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
RIP Yamauchi-san. Nintendo would not be where it is today without his leadership.

However it has to be said that the reason a majority of third parties won't make games for Nintendo consoles are because of Yamauchi's hardline tactics back in the NES and Super NES period.

Theorymon

Rest In Piece my man. Yamauchi may have argubly been one of the reasons Nintendo has such poor third party support today, but Nintendo would have either died or stayed a small card company without him. I bet few people would have the balls to keep attempting to enter industries, and keep failing until they hit gold like Yamauchi!

It's just hit me that the games industry is starting to get old enough to the point where soon, we are really gonna start losing the pioneers :(. I'll have to figure out a proper way to pay my respects. Maybe its time to reread Game Over again...

I wasn't really all that knowledgeable about the people inside Nintendo during his time so I don't exactly know everything about Yamauchi, regardless though I hope him and his family can find peace. R.I.P

Jinjo

You should know dutch jokes are always kind of rough. Was kinda expecting to have this joke at least ones. That said i dont find it very funny.

I know we do our morbid jokes. But still, did not expect it from an official news station. As you said, not very funny.

My respects to the man and I apologise on behalf of my fellow countrymen for this tasteless joke.

Very sad it was apparently pneumonia, that claims a lot of elderly people. Yamauchi was brilliant, a visionary legend and Nintendo wouldn't be what it is today without him, this is sad news to wake up to. Time to re-read some of those biography pieces in the OP.

Josh7289

Rest in peace.

I was just reading the chapter about him in Nintendo Magic: Winning the Videogame Wars last night. Nintendo would not have seen nearly the same level of success it's enjoyed if it weren't for him and his intuition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom