• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

ekim

Ok if that turns out to be true, then how Orbis > Durango if tlfop difference is around 0.600 differente? Just because Durango has more ram? makes no sense.

Flops is the number of single floating point operations. It's not related that much to Ram.

Orayn

Hype. Both systems sounding good. Both systems sounding affordable but relatively powerful.

I like that Sony's machine is geared towards gaming first and other functions second.

Random idea with no real basis: Any chance the additional bespoke module is included for BC?

It's not impossible, I guess. There have been PCs and laptops that use a Cell CPU as a co-processor in the way the article described. Not sure what they'd do about the PS3's RAM or GPU, though...

panty

4GB GDDR5... please be true, pretty please. Also trying to contain my hype.. but..

i1LZf2n02wb1s.gif

...but will it have backwards compatibilty to run PS3 and at least PSX games?

I have a PS3 already and I'm not looking to buy the next Playstation to play PS3 games. No one should care.

Globox_82

Banned
Actually he said aegies says that CPU in orbis is different. I don't know what ta balivveee anymoaaaahh

I am sure if you ask aegis Orbis has Atari 520 cpu. two days ago he said he has no clue on ps4, now all of a sudden he know everything about cpu? ok...

His question is how will the added ram translate to more power when there's a 600 GFlop deficit.

yup...waiting for a spin reply

what's up with you people and concern about advertising?

since when has the public given a damn about seeing ads saying console x has this much ram and console y has this much. since when has ms or sony even run a dumb ad like that? THEY DONT. they run ads that focus on games, price, and exclusive titles (aka games).

that's all you'll see. you're not going to see a M$ ad saying "we have 8gb of ram vs 4gb on the ps4" because the general public does not give a damn about that. it's over their heads. you'd have to have a boneheaded head of marketing to approve a dumb ad like that because it doesn't work people.

you won't even see them say "this game runs better on ours" in an ad either because publishers won't allow that. they won't allow them to slander their own game.

so let's calm down about adverts and tech specs.

Good point, and lets not forget that other things might ship in each of the boxes that may make a huge difference from each other.

Specs, techs, smes, etc. It's how they are advertised, priced and packaged is what matters most.

JaggedSac

It might be overkill today but it might be playing it safe for the future. If they are going to go the whole hog with a more or less universal software compatibility with windows rt, they'll probably want their main TV box to offer a good experience on that end for some years to come.

Again though, this is just for argument's sake. I don't know what the plan is.

Agree to disagree :)

That´s exactly what i have been saying. And if Durango´s OS and software feature obliterate Orbis then Sony will have very little maneuverability to do, and will be fucked feature wise. It´s very short sighted of Sony to only put 512MB of RAM to the OS. Very short sighted.

However, it's also true the opposite. If Durango will have an overbloated OS, then the PS4 will have more power available for games and will feature better graphics, and PS4 games will look superior in comparinson with Xbox720 games. This is why I don't think these rumors of Durango having an overbloated OS are true.

Karak

Good point, and lets not forget that other things might ship in each of the boxes that may make a huge difference from each other.

Specs, techs, smes, etc. It's how they are advertised, priced and packaged is what matters most.

Mainly those comments are hear because the people who are ingrained in these forums are technical fans as well. So its not too strange to see those posts.
But of course the rest of the world is different.

thuway

yup...waiting for a spin reply

If developers are happy and are applauding Microsoft's design choices, I think you don't have to worry too much. The crop of rumors from early last year have suggested Microsoft had the power edge, but this isn't what is important. It will be mostly similar.

Globox_82

Banned
If developers are happy and are applauding Microsoft's design choices, I think you don't have to worry too much. The crop of rumors from early last year have suggested Microsoft had the power edge, but this isn't what is important. It will be mostly similar.

0.600 tflops, far from similar.

They do, some in this thread are just too blind to see it. I don't know why people think MS is stupid, software is their business. You really think MS would reserve 3GB for simple shit that the 360 already does?? I'm 100% sure they will have new features and capabilities that no one in this thread has even thought of yet.

You know, some want just play games with their gaming consoles, and don`t care for "services" and "features". We have other devices for that.

Shocker, and 3 GB reserved are a waste of resources for those gamers.

RedSwirl

I really hope that the next gen consoles will be able to produce 1080p games that still look what many on GAF consider "next gen." I'll accept 720p if it's necessary for a game to run at 60 frames per second, but that's it.

Durango is clearly a trojan horse to get the Windows 8 ecosystem in the living room.

Going to be interesting to see how that goes.

What's ironic is that depending on what Steambox manufacturers end up doing (if those manufacturers even exist that is), they could end up serving the same purpose, just to a different end.

If the Durango specs are true I think MS are competing against the rumoured Apple iOS TV more than they are Sony.

I've been thinking this for a while. The all-purpose set-top-box might end up being the next front in the Google/Amazon/Apple device war, and Microsoft wants to get ahead.

You know, some want just play games with their gaming consoles, and don`t care for "services" and "features". We have other devices for that.

So? Some people like using their consoles for other services, so you want MS to just abandon those peopel?

Elios83

To be fair 1.8 teraflops compared to 1.2 teraflops is a significant gap if true. No optimization/customization can make up for such a difference. So Orbis will have the edge in GPU centric games assuming that's true and final.

I am sure if you ask aegis Orbis has Atari 520 cpu. two days ago he said he has no clue on ps4, now all of a sudden he know everything about cpu? ok...

You seem to have a real hardon for that guy. Maybe you should just put him on ignore if his posts rile you so much.

Sky Chief

Are there any rumors regarding launch lineups for next-gen? Shouldn't we at least have something by now?

A few guesses just based on games we've seen so far:

Watch Dogs
MGS GZ/PP/V

A lot of big Sony dev teams have been quiet for quite a while but who knows what will be at launch and what will be the second wave.

Globox_82

Banned
You seem to have a real hardon for that guy. Maybe you should just put him on ignore if his posts rile you so much.

not really, I don't mind the guy at all. I just said IF he all of a sudden knows about Orbis CPU (whoever said it earlier) while 2 days ago saying he knows almost nothing on Orbis. That is a bit strange. But hey you can have your hardon and never ask any questions, just believe everything.

smr00

Banned

Shocker, you are in the minority thus you don't matter.

More people use these services and feathers than not so why would they remove them? Because 0.1% of the install base throws a tantrum?

So the way I'm reading this and processing this in my mind says....

The only thing holding back the development of "next gen games " was the existence of the ps3/360, and developers developing with them in mind while ignoring the existing PC hardware abilities.

Not really sure if I want these Orbis/Durango now. I don't see a need to replace my i5/570/12GB Current setup.

Sky Chief

IIRC he said he had some fairly credible rumors but didn't have enough certainty yet to share not that he had no clue

KAL2006

Banned

Oh sheeeeet. In that case all a next gen console needs is 512MB RAM reserved for OS. Vita pretty much does everything I want. Multitasking is great, I can have a game running while I open the store, web browser, listen to music, cross chat, or even open another games LiveArea to view leaderboards. The cool thing is it's instant (unlike PS3), The only thing Vita cannot do is run a video or a video application like Netflix or YouTube while running a game, but I am sure they can do this and more if the double the #RAM from 256MB to 512MB.

nib95

Banned
Shocker, you are in the minority thus you don't matter.

More people use these services and feathers than not so why would they remove them? Because 0.1% of the install base throws a tantrum?

What are you talking about lol. 512MB is more than enough for the features you speak of and considerably more than used for the 360, PS3 and Vita. In other words, the PS4 could have more features than has ever been used or seen in a console thus far.

The 3gb is extreme, but it's use will likely be for stuff that no one knows about or uses yet. But you can't say whether people will or won't use them yet because you don't even know what they are.

Elios83

I have an answer but won't elaborate on that.
Short :
Custom silicon

Don't delude yourself into thinking that there are magical devices that can make up for such a power difference. There can be optimizations that increase efficiency and separate modules which are intended to be used to offload certain tasks but raw performance is still a fundamental metric and 1.8tf vs 1.2tf means that there is a clear advantage in GPU perfomance.

Globox_82

Banned
I have an answer but won't elaborate on that.
Short :
Custom silicon

bro just stop.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that there are magical devices that can make up for such a power difference. There can be optimizations that increase efficiency and separate modules which are intended to be used to offload certain tasks but raw performance is still a fundamental metric and 1.8tf vs 1.2tf means that there is a clear advantage in GPU perfomance.

well said.

this is why something doesn't add up with these rumors. there is no way ms gives that much advantage to sony.'

IIRC he said he had some fairly credible rumors but didn't have enough certainty yet to share not that he had no clue

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46202619&postcount=931

ok.

Damn we got pretend insiders?

yeah, nothing new i guess. while i believe a few people in here (like lherre for example, which has proved in the past to be a reliable source of information) actually know what's up, others are only parroting what they're hearing from other forums and 4th hand information that's doesn't seem to be up to date, or missing information altogether.

coldfoot

Banned
Guys, MS are experts on OS's and they'd be fools if they reserved more than 1 GB for all OS functions including Kinect. Look at what they can accomplish in 32MB in the 360. This whole 3GB talk is crazy.
Think about it, if the 720 is B/C with the 360, you'd be able to fit an entire game into memory, no loading times ever.

Top Bottom