• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Anne

So, let me ask the higher end level players this: If you were getting Gold medals in damage and eliminations, that meant you were playing D.Va wrong because she was supposed to be the DM bot protecting her team.

That didn't mean you were playing D.Va wrong. No matter what character you are playing, medals generally can't tell you whether or not you are playing the hero right or wrong. Playing D.Va correctly often got you golds before because she also shat damage along with having DM.

ricelord

So, let me ask the higher end level players this: If you were getting Gold medals in damage and eliminations, that meant you were playing D.Va wrong because she was supposed to be the DM bot protecting her team.

How about if you have Gold Damage and Elims now? Are you doing your job properly and you should be getting more damage done than actual DPS's, or are you supposed to split your duty between DMing and damaging?

with the new dva its not possible for her to protect her team and her self.

Veelk

Banned
That didn't mean you were playing D.Va wrong. No matter what character you are playing, medals generally can't tell you whether or not you are playing the hero right or wrong. Playing D.Va correctly often got you golds before because she also shat damage along with having DM.

My point was that DM botting was the advised strategy up to this point. Does this still apply? Because I feel too big and fat with my huge crit box to freely dive the enemy team, but I'm also limited in how I can protect my team.

Or is this how it's supposed to be, because now I feel I have to make a ton on the fly decisions. Do I go for the Zen sticking just a tad outside the team, or do I block what damage I can? And whether I make the right call means I save or doom the game.

That's what I'm asking. Now that D.Va can only DM for 2 seconds...waht now?

randome

Worst thing about gold is that as soon as I seem to get into a win streak we get a leaver. It’s happened 3 times tonight lol. Omfgggg

D.Va feels so awkward to control now, might take a while to get used to her. Also good luck doing stuff like cancelling boost while using DM on a controller. And not having any animation on DM feels so janky.

I did notice they made crosshair outlines a lot darker. That's neat.

randome

So many frustrating matches tonight, kept getting grouped up with shitty Widow mains.

New Mercy is pretty fun though.

For me it’s always getting stuck with shitty widows and playing against incredible ones. My favorite is when we dont initially have a widow but the other team has a good widow, then someone from our team switches to widow and sucks lol.

Azoor

I'm glad I've gotten used to playing Mercy in the PTR, it's very critical who you rez and when.

I'm still making bad rez timings from time to time, but I strive to get better.

How about if you have Gold Damage and Elims now? Are you doing your job properly and you should be getting more damage done than actual DPS's, or are you supposed to split your duty between DMing and damaging?

new dva will not out elim or damage a dps whos not a brain dead piece of trash. still make use of DM

Recommend not playing on PC in the next couple of hours until the servers stable out in NA. Blues and I had some D/Cs in the games we played together.

SoulUnison

Banned
I swear to whatever higher power your subscribe to, EVERY SINGLE Team Deathmatch game I got into today had a Widowmaker that seemed to actively avoid being anywhere near the team while also getting maybe 1 lucky kill for every 5 or 6 times they had their face grinded off.
Most of the time there'd also be a Hanzo, valiantly trying to take down tanks in 1 v 2/3/4 battles.

Then me, as Mercy, saying things like "Maybe 2 snipers won't work against a D.Va, guys."
"STFU, I have gold elims."
*Our team loses match*
"I HAVE GOLD ELIMS!"

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Played a bunch of matches and it feels like the Mercy changes were a pretty significant buff? She gets way more Rezzes per game now and can actually help sustain/fend off a push through her chain beam.

_Legacy_

I might jump back in, with the Mercy changes and all. Seems like a good time to get back into Overwatch.

I assume trolls still be trollin' and throwers still throwing. Is it as prevalent as before? I would imagine nothing much has changed on that front...

Cappa

Banned
I might jump back in, with the Mercy changes and all. Seems like a good time to get back into Overwatch.

I assume trolls still be trollin' and throwers still throwing. Is it as prevalent as before? I would imagine nothing much has changed on that front...

Nope, reporting does jack shit as well. Still plenty of throwers.

On the bright side, Torb on attack at least isnt throwing anymore.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Played the new D.va for about three hours and it's just not working.
She can't protect anyone or herself.
Her hitbox is too big for her to be any kind of backline brawler - this has been known since release. I don't know why people pretend that playstyle is "intended"
Her rockets do damage... If you manage to land them all into one target. I literally plugged the whole pack into an enemy D.va with no consumed by DM and she was down maybe 250 health.
All the wins I've had I felt that I contributed the least possible, at most mildly annoying the enemy widow or zen.

Frankly, she's straight up trash because of how inconsistent she is.
Guess it's time to dust off the hammer...

Cappa

Banned
Her hitbox is too big for her to be any kind of backline brawler - this has been known since release. I don't know why people pretend that playstyle is "intended"
Her rockets do damage... If you manage to land them all into one target. I literally plugged the whole pack into an enemy D.va with no consumed by DM and she was down maybe 250 health.
All the wins I've had I felt that I contributed the least possible, at most mildly annoying the enemy widow or zen.

Just out of curiousity, what rank are you? Yesterday (low diamond) people in all my games were talking about how overpowered she is now lol

Im 50/50 personally so basically meh to the changes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Just out of curiousity, what rank are you? Yesterday (low diamond) people in all my games were talking about how overpowered she is now lol

Im 50/50 personally so basically meh to the changes.

Gold. I can see where she could be powerful, but she's not consistent as a tank as she used to be. It's entirely possible that her effectiveness may increase with better team coordination.

She's more appropriate for hit-and-run-style attacks on out-of position targets now. The rockets by themselves are pretty weak, but boost into someone's face holding down fire and 'E' and the combined damage is pretty hefty.

LiK

DVa sounds like burst damage rather than being a DPS blackhole now. Looking forward to trying her out. No interest in playing Mercy unless I wanna mess around in QP or Arcade.

paperlynx

Not a big fan of the D.Va changes, rockets are quite useful if you dive on someone so she works quite well with winston but she doesn't feel like a tank now

Pooya

I think d.va would have been fine if rockets didn't have a huuuuge delay considering how hard it is to land these, this is not mei's alt fire. It's not very fun using them, the visual/sound effects and the delay make it feel like poop to use. Unlike all the other abilities in the game, it feels unpolished and somewhat out of place. Her controls are kinda ruined too, to cancel boost, you have to press it again or melee now. It doesn't feel as fluid as before, maybe I get used to it but it's still worse than before.

My first trip to junkertown was almost a complete disaster, took healer on attack, we had a three stack covering tanks and DPS and I was feeling optimistic.
4 minutes of barely any progress later I wondered just what was going wrong, the three stack rage quit, three newcomers take their place and we finally pushed that payload, ohhhhhh

In general I like new Mercy, she feels a lot more engaging though my handle on Valkyrie is still trash.
D.Va is throwing me for a loop because of how to cancel her boost now and I can't make use of these rockets to save my life right now.

Chance

I've always just used melee to cancel D.Va boost for the boop-melee combo. It's weird to me that everyone's having trouble with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/7189bq/im_gaining_insane_sr_with_new_mercy/

pls tell me why I should play other heroes and not just holding rez on CD when I manage to instalock mercy?

Yeah Eevee was talking about this yesterday, he was gaining 26 on average and losing 18.

Don't know his rank but he was number ~150 in top500, usually the gains there aren't that high.

Broken af

I've always just used melee to cancel D.Va boost for the boop-melee combo. It's weird to me that everyone's having trouble with it.

I used the shooting button. rip

If you punch sometimes you boop them a bit too far from you, I like to stop right in their faces so I can do more damage with the primary fire.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/7189bq/im_gaining_insane_sr_with_new_mercy/

pls tell me why I should play other heroes and not just holding rez on CD when I manage to instalock mercy?

Honestly, if you care about your SR, you shouldn't be playing competitive for at least a week after a new patch! Partly because the stat-based SR bonuses and penalties are all out of whack, but mostly because the games tend to be coinflip clusterfucks as people are trying out the updated characters or not realising they've been changed.

paperlynx

SR gains with Mercy have always been a bit broken, now it's completely bust...every game has a Mercy just spamming res as soon as they can

Nooooooooooo, what the hell have they done to my D.Va?! Her defense matrix goes away in a flash, it's totally useless now. Some added missile ability does not make up for such an extreme nerf.

I didn't complain when they nerfed her before, but this is just taking the piss now. This is the pain people must feel when their treasured main is revamped for the worse.

Top Bottom