• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's still some random stuff we know about that hasn't been officially announced yet, like F1 All-Stars. We probably have all the "major" announcements for launch window, but we'll still probably see less significant titles announced yet (PES2013, Deca Sports 4, NFSMW, eShop stuff, etc).

AniHawk

Then it was Bayonetta 2 the game that made ShockingAlberto go from "I will get Wii U sometime" to "I need it now!"?

D;

i don't think so. if i remember correctly in the reveal thread, he was as caught off-guard as everyone else. he's probably talking about something else, but i've been wrong once before.

Hiltz

There's still some random stuff we know about that hasn't been officially announced yet, like F1 All-Stars. We probably have all the "major" announcements for launch window, but we'll still probably see less significant titles announced yet (PES2013, Deca Sports 4, NFSMW, eShop stuff, etc).

Ubisoft at least confirmed that Ghost Recon Online is still planned for Wii U. With the PC version now released, then they should be working on the console port now.

Drago

Probably just saving some things for October ND

God, I hope so. Bayonetta and MH3U are cool and all but Japanese support for Wii U is pretty barren from 3rd parties other than Namco. I'd really like to know if theres more in the works than what was revealed at the conference.

A simple yes or no would be sufficient for me.

If yes, hopefully Konami and Capcom are on board.

Yeah, after the ,,omg bayonetta'' hype settled the Japanese support seems rather bad. Worse than Western support actually, which is in fact pretty terrible.
However, if they build a relationship with P* in the same vein as Tecmo then the console has already fulfilled its purpose lol, no need for dudebro shooters and animu fantasy if that happens.
Also, Monster Hunter can probably hold my attention until they finally reveal actual big budget productions from the 1st party. (Still stupid they don't even show a glimpse of that)

Kacho

God, I hope so. Bayonetta and MH3U are cool and all but Japanese support for Wii U is pretty barren from 3rd parties other than Namco. I'd really like to know if theres more in the works than what was revealed at the conference.

Oh, without a doubt. Nintendo will be their usual selves as far keeping a tight lid on things, but they will be extremely aggressive this generation with Japanese support.

Edit: To expand on that. Rather than having one large dump once a year at E3, I believe they'll have some nice announcements that are spread out quarterly.

DjRoomba

Banned
What does anyone think about the chance of one more megaton title announcement for launch window. It would send Wii U hype into fever pitch and IMO the pinnacle of marketing hype nirvana; a perfect conclusion to their efforts , thus. I don't think it beyond Nintendo, they've made announcements out of no where before. It feels so right that I'm tempted to put money on it.

launch window is final man. Not gonna happen

unless GTAV ships in the window. MEGATON!!!!!!

Hobby

What do you guys expect from the next Nintendo direct?
Nintendo Network and OS fully detailed, misc. system features, launch lineup fully finalized, possibly new game announcements (both Wii U and 3DS), 3DS stuff, etc.

Yeah. We will probably hear Japanese 3rd party stuff here and there, but nothing too major for a while.
What's your take on Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen?

Also, I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but Nintendo's Japanese site's game release schedule is more comprehensive than the NA site. Highlights:

Pikmin 3: Spring 2013
Wii Fit U: Spring 2013
Game & Wario: beginning of 2013
The Wonderful 101: TBA

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/index.html

NA site for comparison:
http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide?system=wii u&age=18&page=1&view=grid&sort=&source=

Sadist

i don't think so. if i remember correctly in the reveal thread, he was as caught off-guard as everyone else. he's probably talking about something else, but i've been wrong once before.
Nope you're right. SA was told Bayonetta 2 was canceled so it wasn't that game.

DrWong

I'm curious to know how Project CARS will look on Wii U.

And I think there will be at least another important game announced around the next dedicated ND, just to keep the hype... on par. Nintendo should have enough backed stuff to do so, first or third party.

And I missed this thread.

Ty.

Do you know if there is a microphone jack on the gamepad or console?

nintendo-wii-u-controller-bottom-edge_slideshow_main1.jpg

I can't see anything on the bottom, and can't find any good pictures from the top.

EDIT: Nevermind, there was one posted in this very thread:

black4.jpg

It looks like a 3DS-style proprietary mic jack.

Thraktor

How sure are we that F1 RaceStars and NFS:MW and soforth are actually coming to the console? It seems bizarre that less than two months from launch they wouldn't be able to say "yeah, the game's coming to Wii U". Granted, Nintendo's entire reveal strategy for the console has been pretty bizarre, but I'm still not holding out hope of any as-yet unannounced games to appear in the launch window.

majik13

Consider for a moment that there's a rumor of Nintendo offering a larger revenue cut on downloadable games.
Also consider that part of this rumor is that 3rd parties make significantly more money on download sales than retail packages thanks in part to this added revenue cut.
And lastly, consider the idea that 3rd-parties would never give Nintendo a point of sale entirely to themselves with no software visibility from 3rd-parties. EVER.

wait, what am I considering? I am not trying to argue anything or make a point. I am just stating facts. Great if that rumor is true, but not really sure what it has to with the original comment.

How sure are we that F1 RaceStars and NFS:MW and soforth are actually coming to the console? It seems bizarre that less than two months from launch they wouldn't be able to say "yeah, the game's coming to Wii U". Granted, Nintendo's entire reveal strategy for the console has been pretty bizarre, but I'm still not holding out hope of any as-yet unannounced games to appear in the launch window.
Both were leaked via retailer listings, which also leaked games that have been officially announced since (like Warriors Orochi 3 or Game Party). F1 had some *wink*wink* comments from a dev on GAF too I believe.

It's also over 2 months for Europe and closer to 3 for Japan at this point. We probably have 1-2 more Nintendo Directs yet before it out in all 3 regions.

Daschysta

A simple yes or no would be sufficient for me.

If yes, hopefully Konami and Capcom are on board.

Of course more is in the works, we know that the vast majority of stuff that has been announced is coming out before March 2013, there is obviously stuff already in development that is coming out later than that date, but you can't expect announcements until closer to release given Ninty's strat. Hell, the already announced lineup should be enough for a very, very successful launch.

Konami, I wouldn't be too hopeful for beyond maybe some ports, they seem to be really receding lately outside of MGS, although I kindof hold out hope for a late port of Revengeance, perhaps with Nintendo's support given Ninty being the pub with the closest relationship to platinum currently.

I'm most interested to see if Nintendo's efforts to convince publishers to revive lapsed IP's with Nintendo's support as exclusive hardware has bourne any fruit.

Squenix/Capcom/Konami/Namco and really any of the iconic Japanese 3rd parties have so many good IP's that haven't seen a new game developed for years and years, to the point where they would seem like new IP to most people while appealing to enthusiast gamers that still have fond memories of their earlier games.

Good to hear confirmation of Nintendo staff working on Bayonetta too, it is nothing but good news, Nintendo clearly respects Platinums talent, and they are a Japanese developer, so I doubt Nintendo is meddling creatively to any great extent so much as they are offering advice and assistance with the hardware itself, and ensuring that the game is as polished and optimized for the Wii-U as Nintendo's own first party stuff.

The greater the extent of Nintendo's involvement and investment the greater the extent of advertising and promotion Nintendo will throw behind it as well.

If Bayonetta and W-101 sell well enough I wouldn't be suprised to see the relationship deepen to a great extent, and I don't believe that it is some impossibility that Nintendo will bring them on as a second party either. Afterall people mention that they don't "like" to acquire developers, bringing up talent leak at Retro (which has largely been replentished by new hires anyhow), however I believe that Nintendo is largely referring to Western developers, who don't have as much harmony with Nintendo's corporate structure, which is much more involved and hands on than Western ones. Afterall, Nintendo did acquire Monolithsoft last gen, which is a bigger studio than Platinum if i'm not mistaken, and they had a "tryout" period of releasing exclusive stuff/ bromancing with Nintendo as well, just like Platinum.

Furthermore I doubt Platinum themselves would be against such an arrangement. Nintendo clearly trusts them to do new stuff, afterall W101 is a brand new IP, and Bayonetta is an original Platinum IP too. Monolithsoft also hasn't been stuck on Nintendo Franchises either. For the most part Nintendo makes these kinds of partnerships/ acquires studios to do things they CAN'T or DON'T do themselves. Nintendo wouldn't team up with an outside developer, or buy a studio just to work on Mario/Zelda/ other franchises that EAD does best anyhow. They'd get platinum to fill a hole in their lineup, 3D action games/Niche stuff etc... Just like they acquired Monolithsoft to be their big time JRPG studio, who proceeded to release and All-time Great RPG under Nintendo's guidance and management of their talent, Platinum would see their stock significantly rise as well, as a premiere studio.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I doubt Nintendo is doing much on the design side of Bayonetta 2, beyond making sure the game actually gets finished, but they probably have software engineers giving tips on how to stabilise the game on the Wii U. Hopefully they very heavily optimise the Platinum Engine for the Wii U. The engine is hit-and-miss on the PS3 and the Wii U will have similar issues.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do you really believe the Platinum engine will have problems when the Wii U has more ram, faster reading speeds on the optical drive, and a newer GPU?

No, but I believe the Platinum Engine has, for most part, performed best on PC-similar console hardware balance/architecture like the Xbox 360. Deferring tasks to the CPU was an issue with the PS3, and deferring tasks to the GPU will be an issue with the Wii U. Granted, Bayonetta's shitful PS3 port was because SEGA did it, not Platinum, and Vanquish performed admirably. But my point is that this is new hardware, with new problems, problems that the Platinum Engine has not dealt with before.

I hope (and assume) Nintendo and Platinum will spend plenty of time meticulously optimising the engine for the Wii U, so the game does not suffer current-gen-portitis, given it is primarily a current generation engine.

AniHawk

No, but I believe the Platinum Engine has, for most part, performed best on PC-similar console hardware balance/architecture like the Xbox 360. Deferring tasks to the CPU was an issue with the PS3, and deferring tasks to the GPU will be an issue with the Wii U. Granted, Bayonetta's shitful PS3 port was because SEGA did it, not Platinum, and Vanquish performed admirably. But my point is that this is new hardware, with new problems, problems that the Platinum Engine has not dealt with before.

I hope (and assume) Nintendo and Platinum will spend plenty of time meticulously optimising the engine for the Wii U, so the game does not suffer current-gen-portitis, given it is primarily a current generation engine.

is wonderful 101 running on the platinum engine?

EatChildren

is wonderful 101 running on the platinum engine?

I would assume so. Bayonetta, Vanquish, and (probably?) Anarchy Reigns all run on the Platinum Engine. MadWorld I have no idea.

But yeah, TW101 performing well should be a good sign, though I figure it was built from the ground up for the Wii U.

Chaplain

Ty for your response.

This is what I am hoping for as well.

ugoo18

OZzjF.jpg

:D

Totally broken game, but it's fun and interesting and has nice artwork. Not much point playing it after you've turned 12 though :) Still, I'll never part with my copy.

I also played a lot of Hero Quest. Solid game and only fairly recently surpassed by Descent.

Nostremitus and CrunchyB are my 2 new favorite people lol, i loved this game so much when i still had it.

netBuff

isnt that just a clip on slot for the port in the middle, sort of like the slots around the wiimote nunchuck port, that the motion plus add on uses.

I'm very sure these are copper contacts for charging the gamepad in a cradle, not clips grabbing the connector.

What does anyone think about the chance of one more megaton title announcement for launch window. It would send Wii U hype into fever pitch and IMO the pinnacle of marketing hype nirvana; a perfect conclusion to their efforts , thus. I don't think it beyond Nintendo, they've made announcements out of no where before. It feels so right that I'm tempted to put money on it.

You know, there is only one game that would just absolutely blow my mind. That would be a Nintendo published Ganbare Goemon game developed by Konami. There is no way in hell it's happening, but mystical Ninja Starring Goemon was one of my favorite N64 games. The bird demo has always reminded me of the bird flying at the beginning of that game.

Realistically... I have no idea other than NFS... Borderlands with the physX effects on a console?

Nostremitus and CrunchyB are my 2 new favorite people lol, i loved this game so much when i still had it.

I had a lot of fun with it, I'd start worrying when the dark lord character got near me. It was always weird playing with an invisible player who was controlled entirely by the roll of the die.

I haven't seen this question answered and I try to keep up with the threads (Kinda hard to keep up with all of them). Has it been confirmed if Nintendo TVii will work with any DVR or if it's only TiVo? If not, is that something that could change with an update?

Drago

So I have 11,000 Gamestop reward points, and I can use 10,000 points to get $10 off anything in store (basically $50 NintendoLand)

should I do it?!?

Lucent

Really hoping Best Buy can fulfill allocations since I reserved my deluxe version in store.

Same. This is what I did. I reserved it the day after it was announced. I went in yesterday and checked the kiosk. Can't even see it on the pre-order list now.

Hobby

Going to repost this from the summary thread, as well.

Iwata was asked during an interview with Nikkei if Nintendo would be able to profit this fiscal year, to which Iwata replied that given (Wii U's) manufacturing costs will be at its highest during this FY, in addition to low diffusion of (Wii U) during this FY, earnings will be rough.

However, he expects diffusion of Wii U and its software sales to increase next FY and onward, thus, in a total sense, they'll be able to earn a healthy revenue.

Nikkei's editor speculates that Wii U likely isn't being sold at a lost, but for the time being, manufacturing costs are high, and, for the most part, profits will be pretty much nil.

任天堂の岩田社長が、日経でWii Uについてコメントしています。

これによると、2万6250円と3万1500円という販売価格で利益を生み出せるのかと聞かれた岩田社長は、「今年度は製造原価も一番高く、普及台数が少ないため収益面では厳しい」とコメントしています。

ただ、「来期以降はゲーム機本体の普及だけでなく、ゲームソフトの販売数も増える。ソフトの販売と併せ、全体で健全な収益を得られるようになる見通し」になっているとのことです。

よって、Wii Uのハードは、おそらく赤字で販売されているわけではないと思われるものの、しばらくの間は、製造原価が高く、利益がほとんどないようです。

Source:
http://ga-m.com/n/wii-u-seizou-genka-rieki/
http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASHD13036_T10C12A9000000/

BY2K

Membero Americo
So they are not selling the Wii U at a loss, but it's really goddamn close. The profit they are going to make from each Wii U sold is going to be small as heck.

CrunchyB

I had a lot of fun with it, I'd start worrying when the dark lord character got near me. It was always weird playing with an invisible player who was controlled entirely by the roll of the die.

There was a minor tactical element to it. You would roll the die and move x number of steps. But sometimes this would bring you to one of the Dark Knight spots on the board. So you either took the risk of the DK appearing and sending you to a dungeon, or moved a smaller amount of steps. Great fun!

The most broken thing was the whirlpool opening/closing mechanic. Once it became clear a player had both a treasure and the key, the other players would constantly open/close the board, making it impossible for him to finish. Oh god, I played the game one time in college with some friends and we harassed the "winning" player until he quit the game in disgust :D

Drago

Do it if you really want NintendoLand........

What about ZombiU or NSMBU?

Already preordered NSMBU, and I'm going to avoid ZombiU for now due to me being wary of new Ubisoft IPs and the fact that I'm a total wuss with horror. :x

Everything else I wanted was preordered on NewEgg already at $10 off, so I can preorder the last game I was interested in (Nintendo Land) for $10 off as well (promo code didn't work for it (or any other Nintendo published WiiU thing) on NewEgg for whatever reason)

Terrell

So they are not selling the Wii U at a loss, but it's really goddamn close. The profit they are going to make from each Wii U sold is going to be small as heck.

Well, the quote doesn't even say that they aren't selling at a loss. All that was said is that manufacturing costs are high and they'll be limited in stock. They could actually be taking a teeny-tiny loss on the hardware ala the Gamecube.

Hmm, makes me wonder how much the 360/PS3 successors will cost even if sold at a loss.

It's best not to think about it. Sony fans have been working themselves into delusions about production efficiency and "off-the-shelf parts" (as if Sony's building a custom PC) to calm their fears of another repeat to keep up with Microsoft, whom MS fans naturally assumes will bite the bullet cost-wise again with absolutely zero consequences, just cuz they're nice guys.

So I have 11,000 Gamestop reward points, and I can use 10,000 points to get $10 off anything in store (basically $50 NintendoLand)

should I do it?!?

Should have pre-ordered the deluxe and gotten it at $50 anyway.

Seriously though, that's up to you. Do you think you'll like it? Have you demoed it?

Personally I preordered the deluxe because I was planning on getting Nintendoland anyway after playing it. That was my deciding factor....

Already preordered NSMBU, and I'm going to avoid ZombiU for now due to me being wary of new Ubisoft IPs and the fact that I'm a total wuss with horror. :x

Everything else I wanted was preordered on NewEgg already at $10 off, so I can preorder the last game I was interested in (Nintendo Land) for $10 off as well (promo code didn't work for it (or any other Nintendo published WiiU thing) on NewEgg for whatever reason)

Ok, then your choice is clear.

Hobby

Well, the quote doesn't even say that they aren't selling at a loss. All that was said is that manufacturing costs are high and they'll be limited in stock. They could actually be taking a teeny-tiny loss on the hardware ala the Gamecube.
Right. Iwata was speaking from an earnings standpoint. They could actually be making a profit on Wii U hardware, but in a total sense, they're not really making a profit on Wii U.

Drago

Should have pre-ordered the deluxe and gotten it at $50 anyway.

Seriously though, that's up to you. Do you think you'll like it? Have you demoed it?

Personally I preordered the deluxe because I was planning on getting Nintendoland anyway after playing it. That was my deciding factor....
I skipped the Deluxe set for petty color-related reasons. At least my copy of NintendoLand copy definitely comes in a box! :p

I haven't yet played it, but what I've seen looks fun (Takamaru and Balloon Fight especially) and I have people to play it with. Plus, it will probably be a great showcase for the GamePad. I'm not super interested in the game, but I might as well get it now as it will probably take a while for a price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom