• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English boys protest during heat wave by wearing skirts

90ºF ~ 32.2ºC.

That's hot. It's not "OMG I'M MELTING!" hot sure, but it's hot. Especially in a country/island that is not particularly known for those sort of temps.

Almost every single person in england has been "OMG I'M MELTING" most of this week, its nit just how hot it is is also hiw horribly humid it is

Almost every single person in england has been "OMG I'M MELTING" most of this week, its nit just how hot it is is also hiw horribly humid it is

Yep. It's been bloody awful.

May not be hot in America at that temperature, but that's because everything has AC.

We don't tend to have AC as commonplace, and our buildings are typically designed to retain heat.

I had to run around my house closing windows, unless I wanted my house to be a sweatbox in the evening (it still was...).

Stupid policy anyway. In a place of learning, you'd want the kids to be as comfortable as possible.

And then there's always the PE teacher who walks around in shorts all year anyway.

Hyun Sai

Yeah, where I live 90° is common business, and we had no problem wearing jeans.

But I can imagine in England it must be tough.

A business partner in France told me it was around 98° in the afternoon.

If I lived in a place where it only got hot for a couple of weeks a year... I'd still get an air conditioner. I'd get a crappy, noisy, energy-inefficient one, but I'd still get something. Crappy AC's aren't that expensive.

If I lived in a place where it only got hot for a couple of weeks a year... I'd still get an air conditioner. I'd get a crappy, noisy, energy-inefficient one, but I'd still get something. Crappy AC's aren't that expensive.

It's not even a couple of weeks.

It's literally just a few sporadic days here and there over the summer season.

I am going to keep an eye on the long range weather though, and as soon as I see something above 30 predicted... I'm hiding away for a few days.

The local BBC news article stated that the school had said that the pupils could "loosen their tie a little" as a way to solve the issue. Yes, showing about 1cm of skin on your neck will supposedly solve the problem of being stuck in stuffy classrooms with no airflow, 30+ degrees temperatures. high humidity, sun pouring in through the windows and being stuck in black trousers all day long - in a country that is not used to temperatures over 20. Generally shows how the headteachers are so obsessed with terrible rules that they place it over the health of the students.

UK school dress code is just a general trainwreck, in primary school shorts and trainers are perfectly fine, move up to middle school and suddenly they are prohibited, jump up to high school the rules get so strict that you get in trouble even if it's for health related and you have a note from the headteacher - except certain pupils openly flout the rules without any pushback because double standards. Meanwhile the teachers wear whatever they like.

kyser73

This story - or one like it - usually comes around when there's a hot spell lasting more than a couple of days in the UK.

It's as much a summer tradition as the headline 'Phew! watts Scorcha!', an article about 'bikini babes by the beach' and exam result/uni clearing stories illustrated with pictures of attractive middle class girls, usually something like:

'Jemima's Jumping for Joy at A-Level Achievement'

(A-Levels are the pre-Uni exams you sit at 18).

Still, marks the head out as one of the 'My house, my rules' types who will happily exclude kids for minor behavioural/school code infractions.

The local BBC news article stated that the school had said that the pupils could "loosen their tie a little" as a way to solve the issue. Yes, showing about 1cm of skin on your neck will supposedly solve the problem of being stuck in stuffy classrooms with no airflow, 30+ degrees temperatures. high humidity, sun pouring in through the windows and being stuck in black trousers all day long - in a country that is not used to temperatures over 20. Generally shows how the headteachers are so obsessed with terrible rules that they place it over the health of the students.

UK school dress code is just a general trainwreck, in primary school shorts and trainers are perfectly fine, move up to middle school and suddenly they are prohibited, jump up to high school the rules get so strict that you get in trouble even if it's for health related and you have a note from the headteacher - except certain pupils openly flout the rules without any pushback because double standards. Meanwhile the teachers wear whatever they like.

Here school uniforms only exist to break the spirit of each child and give every school's four or five nazi-minded industry failure teachers an excuse to behave like dictators.

This story - or one like it - usually comes around when there's a hot spell lasting more than a couple of days in the UK.

You'd think that if this story happens every year, someone would eventually wake up and actually realize that forcing kids to wear long pants in un-airconditioned buildings on hot summer days is stupid.

FLAguy954

That's a really dumb dress code, shorts are comfy and easy to wear.

Yup. I went to a school that required uniform (tale-end of elementary and middle school) and they had multiple clothing colors and options for both genders, including shorts.

More men should wear skirts in general. >_>

Dress codes can be really shitty. Girls regularly get taken out of classes for wearing shirts that show too much shoulder or whatever, thus missing out on instruction time. Boys are expected to bake instead of having sensible clothing alternatives.

Thorgal

back at my school they had a very strict dress code that to this day i call unfair .

During hot weather like this girls where allowed to wear a skirt provided it stretched below the knees .

the boys on the other hand where prohibited from wearing shorts , forcing us to keep wearing our Jeans at all times , buckets of sweat pouring down our legs be damned .

Fuchsdh

From what I seen working in public schools 1-3 years ago the kids with the best fitting clothes were treated better than those in baggy hand-me-downs. And in the case of shoes brands definitely continue to matter.

My experience with AmeriCorps is that poor kids actually place even more importance on social signifiers like nice shoes and the like than my own upbringing in a wealthy area, which is all kids of screwed up.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I wish I could wear skirts without funny looks. It sounds great.
To bad I don't have Scottish ancestry or I would sport a kilt.

I get to live the dream! I'm of Scottish ancestry, and am travelling to Scotland in July to get married, and I'll be wearing a traditional kilt of my clan's tartan.

I'll be wearing that thing all over the fuckin' place when I get back to the States!

Is it REALLY that hard to grasp that people who live in different climates have minor difficulties adapting to freakish weather variants, and that these minor difficulties don't exist in countries where these variants don't occur in the same way?

So many 'lol omg if they lived in the desert then they'd be moaning'
yeah, no shit.

daviyoung

Banned
Yeah, where I live 90° is common business, and we had no problem wearing jeans.

But I can imagine in England it must be tough.

A business partner in France told me it was around 98° in the afternoon.

Jeans are made for hot weather. Cowboys wore them in the desert heat.

MGrant

Meanwhile, we have heat indexes up to 43C (110F) where I am right now. Teachers still can't wear shorts, and the AC system of my school is weak as hell because people in Taiwan are acclimated to the fires of a burning hell.

andycapps

These threads always make me so confused over people that don't have air conditioning. Exists in the US as well on the coasts, but in the states I've lived in it's a given. I wouldn't consider a house or apartment that didn't have it.

Interesting story, hopefully the school changes their policy since they don't have AC.

These threads always make me so confused over people that don't have air conditioning. Exists in the US as well on the coasts, but in the states I've lived in it's a given. I wouldn't consider a house or apartment that didn't have it.

Interesting story, hopefully the school changes their policy since they don't have AC.
Hard to put air conditioning in buildings that are hundreds of years old and its super expensive.

I remember having heat stroke at school because I was forced to wear my uniform, which was like normal English uniform except that I was forced to wear a blazer and if I didn't I'd get detention every day until I wore it.

Our school systems are a joke when it comes to uniforms, I'm all for uniforms, but every school I've ever been to as a kid never had a Summer or Winter uniform schedule, it was just always black shoes, trousers, white shirt, tie and blazer.

It doesn't help that the black always drew in the heat, but that didn't make a difference, even when teachers could just wear shirts when ever they wanted and female teachers came in summer dresses. It's a fucking joke.

EDIT: Seriously, people complaining saying "That's not hot" is ridiculous. If you weren't born in this country and grew up to It's climate, you wouldn't understand what we think is hot. Everyone isn't born feeling the same climate in every country.

Takyon

EDIT: Seriously, people complaining saying "That's not hot" is ridiculous. If you weren't born in this country and grew up to It's climate, you wouldn't understand what we think is hot. Everyone isn't born feeling the same climate in every country.

Weather+gauge_4c1973_4940188.png

Mohonky

We had to pants and ties etc every day of the year here in Australia at the private school I went to. I dont see what the big deal is. If you get a job later as a professional, your expected to wear the same thing.

I really dont see what the big deal is.

Try working in the sun in a heavy cotton trousers and long sleeve shirt; shorts and a shirt arent an option in construction. Roll your sleeves up and it can be instant dismissal.

moggio

Banned
We had to pants and ties etc every day of the year here in Australia at the private school I went to. I dont see what the big deal is. If you get a job later as a professional, your expected to wear the same thing.

Try working in the sun in a heavy cotton trousers and long sleeve shirt; shorts and a shirt arent an option in construction. Roll your sleeves up and it can be instant dismissal.

Private school programmed you well.

Hot is hot, man, and not every individual deals with heat the same way. People shouldn't be forced into being immensely uncomfortable because of social norms or for any other bullshit reason.

Good on the klds.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
As a Canadian I'd say that's almost entirely accurate.

As a Canadian I'd say it's not.

I've lived in Ontario and the interior of BC and regularly get summer days over 30c,then factor in humidity.

People don't seem to get that while we can get crazy cold winters we also get ferocious (and humid as fuck) summers. Canadians can handle all that shit!!

As a Canadian I'd say it's not.

I've lived in Ontario and the interior of BC and regularly get summer days over 30c,then factor in humidity.

People don't seem to get that while we can get crazy cold winters we also get ferocious (and humid as fuck) summers. Canadians can handle all that shit!!

I have family from California who refuse to come to Canada during summer. Too humid in the summer and way too cold in the winter.

Thewonandonly

Is it REALLY that hard to grasp that people who live in different climates have minor difficulties adapting to freakish weather variants, and that these minor difficulties don't exist in countries where these variants don't occur in the same way?

So many 'lol omg if they lived in the desert then they'd be moaning'
yeah, no shit.
Hahah right like right now it's 100 in Utah and I'm in my car on break in pants. I feel fine a little hot but besides that I'm Gucci, but I understand that I'm use to hot. This people aren't so I feel there pain because being hot fucking sucks....

Now who has the toughest climate to live in im going to go Iowa because In the summer it's fucking hot and it's humid so right when I step off the plane I feel like I got out of the shower. While in the winter my tits instantly cut two holes in my sweater when I walked out ;)

AlexBasch

”One of the five boys did get in trouble — because it was too short."
Bet he looked great in it and somebody got jealous. :)

Also, I live in a northern area of my country. I can understand and joke about how people from CDMX might find 25C a scorching inferno, but I wouldn't go "NAH, YOU'RE MAKING A HUGE DEAL OUTTA THIS", specially when folks from Chihuahua or Sonora are basically human torches.

Man, I would have been kicked out of my job a long time ago. I always roll up my sleeves since I like the look of it and how hot my office gets. :(

Rock up for work in a pair of shorts at the majority of office environments and let me know how that goes for you.

You first described construction work, the dress code for which is generally enforced strictly for safety reasons, as exposed skin + heavy tools is a non-starter for a lot of heavy jobs.
Every single office environment I have worked in, including countries like Japan, relaxed their dress code from the Victorian Era in an effort to cut back on electricity costs, since running the A/C for 15 hours every day during the hot season proved too high a price to pay to retain some sexist bullshit WWII era standards of what constituted 'office attire.'
My current work environment is 100% okay with summer garb, including shorts and short sleeves. Not everyone should expect this from their work environment, but the only thing keeping such traditions in place is a book somewhere full of stupid, backwards 'because we say so' regulations that serve no productivity or safety goals, and I would not underestimate their fragility. The school should change. Most offices should change. Scoffing at the idea sounds...kinda dumb.

Top Bottom