• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Empire (Marvel) |OT| Hail Hydrox

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

aFUcKgU.png

dEY6ARn.png

TIMELINE
After the Avengers vs. X-Men battle, Captain America assembles a team of both humans and X-Men in order to help improve the public perception of Mutants. Red Skull, going after Mutants, steals Professor Xs body and cuts out his brain and eats it to harass Xavier's telepathic abilities.
During a battle with an enemy called the Iron Nail, the Super-Soldier Serum within Rogers's body was neutralized, causing him to age rapidly to match his chronological age of over 90 years. No longer able to take part in field missions but retaining his sharp mind, Rogers decided to take on a role as mission coordinator, organizing the Avengers' plans of attack from the mansion, while appointing Sam Wilson as his official "replacement" as Captain America.
During the Avengers: Standoff!, Steve Rogers learns from Rick Jones that S.H.I.E.L.D. has established Pleasant Hill, a gated community where they use Kobik to transform villains into ordinary citizens. When Rogers is brought to Pleasant Hill, he confronts Maria Hill about the Kobik project. During an attempt to reason with Kobik, Rogers is attacked by Crossbones. Before Rogers can be killed, Kobik uses her abilities to restore him back to his prime.

In Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, the final panel apparently revealed that Rogers has been a Hydra double-agent since his early youth. This is subsequently revealed to be the result of Kobik's restoration of Rogers' youth, as she had been taught by the Red Skull that Hydra was good for the world and Kobik changed reality so that Rogers would be the greatest man he could be, believing Hydra to be good, Kobik permanently altered reality so that Rogers had always been a member of Hydra. It is revealed in later issues that Kobik affected the entire Marvel Universe with her changes: that Rogers' memories are real ones, not fake ones.

Post Standoff, Winter Soldier reestablishes the Thunderbolts with Kobik in tow.

During Civil War II, with the discovery of new Inhuman Ulysses who has the ability to "predict" the future, Rogers was set out to prevent Ulysses from learning of his true plans and allegiance. Rogers did this by forcing certain predictions on him, such as anonymously providing Bruce Banner with new gamma research to provoke a vision that would drive Hawkeye to kill Banner, although this plan has apparently backfired with a recent vision showing the new Spider-Man standing over the dead Steve Rogers. After that vision sets off the final fight between Iron Man and Captain Marvel which resulted in Iron Man knocked to a coma.

Post War, Rogers has been given the command of SHIELD after Maria Hill was revoked command post Standoff. However, Rogers has also been housing Chitauri pods in order to lure swarms of Chitauri to Earth, as the creatures want to instinctively find a queen and would destroy anything in their path.

After pressure from the public and the beating of former New Warrior, Rage, Sam Wilson relinquishes the title of being Captain America.

The Thunderbolts are later found by Baron Zemo and forces some of them to rejoin the Masters of Evil with him, Madam Hydra and Steve. Bucky later is sent to the past, Quantum Leap style where Kobik reveals that she think HYDRA are the good guys and wants Bucky to join.

After the Uncanny Avengers defeat Red Skull and called Beast to cut out the Xavier portions of his brain, Red Skull is depowered and Rogers detains him only to reveal he no longer works to accomplish Red Skull's vision of HYDRA and kills him.

NOTE: These are tie ins don't aren't required to read but help add a extra viewpoint to the event. Also, these are the start of the storylines.

Avengers #7
All-New Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1
Amazing Spider-Man #29
Captain America: Sam Wilson #22
Captain America: Steve Rogers #17
Champions #10
Deadpool #31
Doctor Strange #21
Mighty Captain Marvel #5
Occupy Avengers #8
Secret Warriors #1
U.S.Avengers #6
Ultimates 2 #7
Uncanny Avengers #24
X-Men Blue #7
X-Men Gold #7

ONE SHOTS/MINI SERIES
Secret Empire: Brave New World #1-5
Secret Empire: Underground #1*
Secret Empire: United #1*
Secret Empire: Uprising #1

*Set between 3-4

NOTE: KEEP ALL POLITICAL TALK AWAY FROM HERE AND KEEP ALL NICK SPENCER TALK AWAY FROM HERE.
THIS THREAD IS ONLY ABOUT THE EVENT ITSELF.

Sandfox

Nice OP

I expect this event to be well written and drawn. The one thing I like about the setup is how pretty much every notable hero and a ton of villains have roles in this story.

They did a good job in making Steve such a terryfing villain, its great because most of the time he acts exactly like normal Steve, everything he does in other books you see him in take on a very sinister tone, he was even the only good part of CW2.

Sandfox

They did a good job in making Steve such a terryfing villain, its great because most of the time he acts exactly like normal Steve, everything he does in other books you see him in take on a very sinister tone, he was even the only good part of CW2.
Yeah, Spencer used Steve's master tactician skills to make him a legit threat. His new Hydra team has a great lineup of villains as well.

El Topo

To them, it's to prevent another Secret Invasion or alien invasion.

I get that, but given all the shit that Earth has been through it seems kind of weird this is where they draw the line, not to mention the commentary on refugees.
No offense, but those superheroes are assholes.

jph139

I've been enjoying his "friendly but secretly evil" persona, but seeing him cut loose in The Oath was legitimately spooky. Looking forward to see him go full villain, no mercy, all-in. Should get some good spiteful monologues out of it.

mreddie

I get that, but given all the shit that Earth has been through it seems kind of weird this is where they draw the line, not to mention the commentary on refugees.
No offense, but those superheroes are assholes.

Some aren't even aware the wall is happening. Plus, SWORD is no more so they need something.

THAT SAID, you are spot on about being a commentary on refugees and people wanting to be safe yet being dicks to others.

Dalek

The spoiler about issue 0 is pretty crazy.

I'm a Spencer fan-I know he's divisive but I like his writing. Morning Glories is fantastic.

How does the whole "space wall to keep the Chitauri and refugees out" thing play into this?

Basically Steve is using the fear of this happening to grant more power to SHIELD's authority. And since he's director of SHIELD...

TTOOLL

I'm currently reading only Old Man Logan from Marvel but I'm quite interested in this. I believe I'll have no problems reading only this event thanks to OP's summary, right?

Also, when does it start, this week?

mreddie

I'm currently reading only Old Man Logan from Marvel but I'm quite interested in this. I believe I'll have no problems reading only this event thanks to OP's summary, right?

Also, when does it start, this week?

0 is tomorrow, Summary addresses the key plot points (the how, why and when), I may have missed something but the key pieces are there.

Kurdel

Banned
Secret Empire #0 is out and it was pretty fucking good.

Seeing it all come to a head is great.

I totally called the
planetary shield locking Captain Marvel out of the earth. That was such a perfect moment.

I think the CA Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Thunderbolts and UA will be essential tie ins. Since they've all been apart of the setup to SE.

Aceun

What a great start. Steve's plan all comes to a head and man is it amaze.

The setup beforehand with the opening salvos is also fantastic.

USAvengers was the weakest for me, but that's because I don't follow any of those characters. Still it's one of the last few control points Steve puts in place.

Thunderbolts let us know what happens to Kobik and Bucky prior to the start.

SteveCap issue shows just how far the reality warping hole goes.

And Secret Empire Zero is just glorious.

Deadly

Damn that was some good stuff. Cap just owning everyone. That line to Carol, so good.

How does this even end? They would gain control back but man it's interesting where Captain America's character will go after this.

El Topo

Basically Steve is using the fear of this happening to grant more power to SHIELD's authority. And since he's director of SHIELD...
THAT SAID, you are spot on about being a commentary on refugees and people wanting to be safe yet being dicks to others.

That's not my issue. My problem is that, within the few comics I've read where this was addressed, I got the impression that I'm not *supposed* to dislike these superheroes for this decision, barring Captain America.
There is a self awareness in the comics, but I don't think it goes very far. Then again, we'll see.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think the CA Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Thunderbolts and UA will be essential tie ins. Since they've all been apart of the setup to SE.

Thunderbolts is done.

Just follow the standard rule for every event: Read the books written by whoever is writing the event, anything else is optional. Only read the other tie in's if you'd have read them anyways.

caliph95

So the thing about Hydra Cap coming from the original timeline seems like a convoluted way to fix the paradox as fix the plot holes for the whole Hydra Cap mess

TTOOLL

Damn that was some good stuff. Cap just owning everyone. That line to Carol, so good.

How does this even end? They would gain control back but man it's interesting where Captain America's character will go after this.

It was amazing! I also kept thinking about who is going to antagonize Cap, Tony? Again?

PSqueak

Banned
It is revealed in later issues that Kobik affected the entire Marvel Universe with her changes: that Rogers' memories are real ones, not fake ones.

I hate every word on that sentence.

Loved issue 0 and the horrific yet mesmerizing way all these dominoes fell.

Spencer has been using all that fairly recent Hickman mythology, but I really didn't expect
Shield to be part of this Hydra's backstory. I assume that was Newton with Nostradamus and Kraken.
As someone who loved all the world building done in Secret Warriors and Shield, I'm curious to see how this all fits together, including these last two Shield issues, that should still come out.

People shouldn't sweat too much the Inception stuff done with the Cosmic Cube and all the "what is true? What was changed?" mind fuck. The way I see it, the point is that it doesn't really matter if Steve was always a member of HYDRA and everyone failed to remember it. Much like the "is Secret Wars a reboot?" debates, all that matters is the story being told. Someday, this will all be rolled back one way or another, but what matters is the ride there.

Sandfox

This story is crazy, especially when you throw in what happens in Thunderbolts and the Captain America solo.
The Bob reveal was really smart and not who I was expecting at all.

Civil War 2 showed cap being killed on the steps of the Capitol Building in DC by Miles Morales.

This was in a future "vision" by the inhuman Ulysses and Cap is fully aware that this is going to happen to him.

That being said Ulysses got less accurate as he got more powerful so there's some wiggle room.

Did they ever address why so many of Earth's heroes are super cool with it? Because that seemed pretty...uh....yeah.

They explain this earlier in the Captain America: Steve Rogers book.

Cap and/or Hydra stole a batch of eggs containing a Chitauri queen. The Chitauri have been consistently invading for some time now, with earth's heroes barely fending off the last wave thanks to Quasar...who is powerful but inexperienced.

The shield was viewed as the only viable way to stop these invasions, along with all the other invasions they didn't see coming.

Steve with that masterstroke, I don't know how he comes back from this without some cop out reality warping. The question of if Cap being Hydra is the "original reality" shouldn't be answered IMO.

caliph95

Steve with that masterstroke, I don't know how he comes back from this without some cop out reality warping. The question of if Cap being Hydra is the "original reality" shouldn't be answered IMO.
Honestly i think the whole original reality thing is Kobik's doing, like it fixes the paradox and plot wholes with the whole hydra thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom