• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Splatoon 2 include the original game's campaign?

Jofamo

I'm sitting at work, listening to the original Splatoon OST on youtube, and I'm reminded of just how surprisingly fun the campaign in the original game was. I real pleasure to play through. And that amazing final boss. Just great stuff.

I know that Splatoon was a huge success for Nintendo, and the attach rate was high, but it was still limited by the poor install base of the Wii U.

So far, the Switch is doing pretty well, and will hopefully far outsell what the Wii U managed to achieve. Splatoon 2 is on the horizon, and looks to be just as much fun, if not even better than the original. The recent testfire weekend went down a treat for pretty much everyone who got involved.

I know that Splatoon 2 will also have a dedicated single player campaign with a new story (and I'm looking forward to that a tonne), but for everyone buying Splatoon 2 who didn't pick up the original, would including the original campaign be worthwhile?

It looks like Splatoon 2 is at least slightly based on the assets and engine of the original, so I wonder how much work it would take to include it. I personally think it would be a great idea.

EDIT: Splatoon 2 will have it's own single player story. Confirmed. That isn't in doubt. My question is whether they should include the original game's campaign as a bonus, for those who never played it.

I don't think that'll be necessary. It's Splatoon 2 after all, not "Splatoon 1+2".
But I wouldn't mind it having some or all of the tracks from Splatoon 1 in multiplayer mode.

Why would it? What other sequel includes the original's single player? Not to mention in the in game world this takes place years later and it wouldn't even make thematic sense to include the original

LiK

I still haven't finished it. I thought it was decent but some parts annoyed me. It would be nice for them to include it as a bonus.

Ridley327

While I have my doubts that the new single player mode will have a final boss as joyfully insane as DJ Octavio, I've already had that experience and would rather them do something totally brand new.

No. It's a sequel not the first game. And it doesn't matter who played it or not. They can release Splatoon 1 on the eshop if they want.

DrArchon

As long as it wouldn't preclude them from making the new campaign just as good if not better. I wouldn't mind playing through it again.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nope. For anyone that wants to play Splatoon, the game will still exist after Splatoon 2 is released. They can play it there.

I wouldn't complain if it was included as a bonus, but it's a sequel so probably not.

I agree though that the original single player campaign is a ton of fun and highly underrated.

I kinda assumed that we would be getting a new campaign with this one. I agree that the first campaign is great, though, not just as far as game design, but it's a good way to practice the Splatoon mechanics for online play.

faridmon

Yes, because I am not gonna buy a whole new system to play the previous one. and I assume a lot of the new players feel the same.

Berordn

While DJ Octavio was superb, the rest was just so-so. It'd be a great bonus if they added it, but if the campaign from 2 is going to expand on it properly it really wouldn't do much to the overall package.

The best case scenario would involve 2's campaign starting with a playable flashback of Octavio's fight before jumping into the new events of two years later.

Why would it? What other sequel includes the original's single player? Not to mention in the in game world this takes place years later and it wouldn't even make thematic sense to include the original

Rayman Legends.

I didn't have a Wii U so I'd be in the camp that would love to see stuff like this, but I know it's not terribly likely.

Servbot24

Banned
Why would it? What's the precedent for something like this?

I mean if you're asking if I want extra stuff, sure, I'll take it. But no one asks for Call of Duty to have the campaign from last year, that would just be weird. A new game should be a new game.

Reallink

I can't think of any other 'sequel' in the history of videogames that is more of a straight asset lift or looks more like a DLC/expansion of the first game than Splatoon 2 though. You couldn't even tell 2 screenshots apart.

Meh it wasn't that great to be honest bunch of trial stages kinda thrown together. The bosses were decent. I'm expecting something much better this time around for 2.

Jofamo

I don't know how some of you got to the conclusion that I wanted the entire original game to be ported, or that I didn't want Splatoon 2 to be a sequel. I outlined my reasons why I think it'd be a good idea, in the same way that releasing Mario Kart 8 on Switch is a good idea - millions of potential Switch buyers never touched the original games.

Of course I want the single player in Splatoon 2 to be as full featured as possible. I don't see how including the original campaign would automatically compromise that, other than potential development time (which again I touched on).

Yes, Splatoon 2 is a sequel. Yes, it should stand on it's own. But the original Splatoon is in a unique position. It's a game that sold well for the console, but still failed to reach millions of people. The relatively short campaign of Splatoon is probably not worth purchasing a whole console to play.

If it's included as a bonus in Splatoon 2, for those who want to play it (and why wouldn't you?), I don't see why it's an automatic 'no' to some people.

EDIT: And to clarify, seeing as there seems to be some confusion. Splatoon 2 has been confirmed to have it's own, full featured single player campaign. I'm not suggesting that gets removed, or replaced in any way.

soultron

Banned
As someone who didn't get a chance to play S1, I really hope so. It looked really inventive, from what I saw of it, and the boss battles looked really intriguing.

S1 campaign + new S2 stuff would be pretty cool.

No, I think it should have its own expanded one. Otherwise why call it Splatoon 2? If its going to be so similar to the first one then they should've just called it Splatoon Deluxe or whatever. Since it's a sequel I'm hoping they add a ton of new content, especially since visually the game looks pretty much identical.

Absolutely not because the way Splatoon is structured is that the story campaign and the multiplayer is happening simultaneously.

Hence why you use the same avatar for both. How when you complete the story mode objective the plaza has the
giant zap fish you obtained
. How you can find blueprints to take to Sheldon and he'll say they're from his grandfather.

The story mode in Splatoon 2 is known to take two years later, what happened two years ago? The game launch and over a year worth of splatfests.

That player character, Agent 3, would be 16 and not the same size as the playable characters in Splatoon 2.

What I expect to happen is your Splatoon 2's avatar to be Agent 4 and throughout story mode there'll be refrences to Agent 3 and how Captain Cuddlefish humorously can't remember anything specific about them.

Hari Seldon

I'm fine with them porting games to the e-shop using 3rd party studios or whatever, as long as it doesn't interfere with making new games for the switch.

I can't think of any other 'sequel' in the history of videogames that is more of a straight asset lift or looks more like a DLC/expansion of the first game than Splatoon 2 though. You couldn't even tell 2 screenshots apart.

LOL, fuck off with this shit.

Gitaroo

I say yes, it was short and fun and a lot of people have missed out on it going by the low WiiU userbase. No body is going to buy a WiiU now just to play the splatoon 1 campaign at this point. They should do it like Bayonetta 2, bundle with first game if you buy early, reward early adopters. The more added value to Splatoon 2 is always welcome. Unless they are not going to have a new campaign for part 2 I don't even see why people would say no to this.

Top Bottom