• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Splatoon 2 include the original game's campaign?

No.

It should be its own game. While it could happen, I'd rather the time be spent on new levels. Unlike multiplayer, i have no attachment to the single player mode.

No. Didn't want a Wii U? Too bad, you missed out.

Yes, pretty much this. It's a weird idea to have an entire sequel cater to those who missed out on the original by just tossing in some/all the original game's content. Nah, we need to move forward, it's a sequel. So a new narrative and new content just makes sense to me.

If they're numbering it they at very least should have a new campaign. Especially when the first one was just a polished tutorial.

Several of the single-player levels take place in multiplayer maps that may not return.

Also several parts are tied to specials that are no longer used.

For example those levels where the missiles are sent at you, the sound waves and the squif Amiibo had several Kraken challenges.

Finally one Sunken Scroll directly refrences the Wii U and other controllers.

None deal breakers but when added to WHAT I wrote earlier it seems weird.

Also that campaign wasn't amazing. It was a solid 5-6 hours of fun with a lot of repeating objectives and an very, very good final boss.

Jofamo

I know reading the OP is sometimes difficult and time consuming, but really?

I acknowledge that Splatoon 2 will have a dedicated single player, one which I'm very much looking forward to, right here;

I know that Splatoon 2 will also have a dedicated single player campaign with a new story (and I'm looking forward to that a tonne), but for everyone buying Splatoon 2 who didn't pick up the original, would including the original campaign be worthwhile?

It's been confirmed. It's happening. I'm looking forward to it happening. I still think it should also include the original games campaign, for the millions of people purchasing Splatoon 2 who didn't buy the original.

There's some genuine hostility in here at the suggestion. What's up with that?

No. Didn't want a Wii U? Too bad, you missed out.

What kind of comment is this? There's no need to be so elitist about owning a Wii U and buying the original. Why the hell would you want to stop people having an easier time accessing a really enjoyable, short campaign?

jstripes

Banned
Sure, as an add-on I guess. The Wii U install base was pretty small, so there's not that many people who got to play the original.

Why would it? What other sequel includes the original's single player? Not to mention in the in game world this takes place years later and it wouldn't even make thematic sense to include the original

Dissidia and Theatrhythm both did it! (Both Square Enix games).

Rayman Legends did it
sort of
!

It's not necessarily unprecedented!

I think it's a great idea, especially if its with updated Splatoon 2 mechanics or expanded on in some way.

I wouldn't mind that. Never owned a wii u but have a Switch so that would be a cool bonus but I also want Splatoon 2 to be its own great game.

What kind of comment is this? There's no need to be so elitist about owning a Wii U and buying the original. Why the hell would you want to stop people having an easier time accessing a really enjoyable, short campaign?

How is that elitist?

Everyone spent the last few years with their heads up their butts, trashing the Wii U, calling it a doomed garbage flop. Meanwhile, great games like Splatoon came out and the system really delivered some of the most fun games I've ever played.

Now that the Wii U is dead everyone is whining that they didn't get to play the games. Too bad, so sad. They should have supported Nintendo and purchased the game/system when it was released.

Should Breath of the Wild have included Skyward Sword? Should Street Fighter V include Street Fighter IV? No. The games are sequels, not ports.

phanphare

Banned

it's not really elitist to suggest that someone should buy a Wii U if they really want to play something on Wii U

Santar

What Splatoon 2 really needs is bots, would've bought the first one if it'd had bots.
And I don't mean a crippled mode where you don't unlock stuff when you're playing against bots.

jstripes

Banned
How is that elitist?

Everyone spent the last few years with their heads up their butts, trashing the Wii U, calling it a doomed garbage flop. Meanwhile, great games like Splatoon came out and the system really delivered some of the most fun games I've ever played.

Now that the Wii U is dead everyone is whining that they didn't get to play the games. Too bad, so sad. They should have supported Nintendo and purchased the game/system when it was released.

Should Breath of the Wild have included Skyward Sword? Should Street Fighter V include Street Fighter IV? No. The games are sequels, not ports.

That's some mighty fine gatekeeping right there. By that respect we don't deserve Mario Kart 8 Deluxe either.

What Splatoon 2 really needs is bots, would've bought the first one if it'd had bots.
And I don't mean a crippled mode where you don't unlock stuff when you're playing against bots.

Devil's advocate, but why should you be able to farm bots to get all the unlocks instead of actually having to compete and participate in the community?

marrec

Banned

Wait, why though?

The matchmaking was great and there was never any problems finding a match.

random25

I think not. Just let Splatoon 2 have its own unique content and Splatoon 1 be it's own too. The best solution is for Nintendo to port the first game down the line, though I can't see it happening anytime soon as it may divide player base.

hatchx

Banned
I'd love to see the first campaign included, OP. Why the hell not?

It might be neat if they updated or remixed it somehow. I remember when Rogue Squadron 3 included the entire campaign from RS2, but allowed for co-operative play.

I hope they include some new modes in this one outside the campaign and online battles. A horde mode, challenge mode, or co-operative missions would be great.

soultron

Banned
lol @ petty MFs saying people who didn't buy a Wii U don't deserve for S1's campaign to be included in S2.

So glad I picked up a Nintendo system again so I can be in your company.

phanphare

Banned
That's some mighty fine gatekeeping right there. By that respect we don't deserve Mario Kart 8 Deluxe either.

imagine Mario Kart 8D doesn't exist and they went straight to Mario Kart 9

should they include all of the content in 8?

that's a better way to look at it

jstripes

Banned
imagine Mario Kart 8D doesn't exist and they went straight to Mario Kart 9

should they include all of the content in 8?

that's a better way to look at it

As DLC? If it's inexpensive enough for Nintendo to do, why not?

Look at it from Nintendo's perspective: Sales of Wii U titles were restricted by Wii U's relatively small install base. If the Switch outperforms the Wii U and brings new players into the fold, Nintendo can get this content out to customers who may have missed it and bring in more revenue too.

Anyone saying we "don't deserve it" because we didn't buy a Wii U is doing pure gatekeeping.

Zemm

Depends if it'll take any resources away from Splatoon 2. If it will (and it would), then no they shouldn't and no one should expect them too in the first place really.

Mafro

Nope. It's a full sequel (despite some people still saying otherwise) and I think it's a bit dumb wanting it included just because you didn't own a Wii U.

Santar

Devil's advocate, but why should you be able to farm bots to get all the unlocks instead of actually having to compete and participate in the community?
Why should it matter if I unlock stuff by playing against bots or real humans? Just disable unlocks on easy or have a scaling system for for unlocks based on difficulty. I'm not into online multiplayer, why should I not be able to enjoy the progression and unlicks by playing offline?

phanphare

Banned

Look at it from Nintendo's perspective: Sales of Wii U titles were restricted by Wii U's relatively small install base. If the Switch outperforms the Wii U and brings new players into the fold, Nintendo can get this content out to customers who may have missed it and bring in more revenue too.

Anyone saying we "don't deserve it" because we didn't buy a Wii U is doing pure gatekeeping.

I'm just bringing up expectations. it's not that people "don't deserve it" or whatever bullshit it's that Nintendo didn't make Splatoon 1 Deluxe, they're making Splatoon 2. so with that come certain expectations of what to expect and what not to expect. if they want to release the first campaign as DLC that's totally cool but I certainly am not expecting that and don't think anyone should. it's not gate keeping to suggest that if you want a game for a certain piece of hardware you have to buy the game and that certain piece of hardware, it's reality. if you want to play as Snake in Smash Bros you're gonna need Brawl and a Wii. that's just how it is.

jstripes

Banned
I'm just bringing up expectations. it's not that people "don't deserve it" or whatever bullshit it's that Nintendo didn't make Splatoon 1 Deluxe, they're making Splatoon 2. so with that come certain expectations of what to expect and what not to expect. if they want to release the first campaign as DLC that's totally cool but I certainly am not expecting that and don't think anyone should. it's not gate keeping to suggest that if you want a game for a certain piece of hardware you have to buy the game and that certain piece of hardware, it's reality. if you want to play as Snake in Smash Bros you're gonna need Brawl and a Wii. that's just how it is.

But if there's demand for it, and if it's little more than a simple asset port, I'm saying there's no reason they can't release it later on.

I'm not expecting them to do it, but there is an elitist attitude going around that Switch owners don't deserve it.

J@hranimo

Banned
No, because the campaign is good in its own right to stand with Splatoon 1.

Now they could bring back some level ideas for this game and remix them. That'd be cool.

phanphare

Banned
But if there's demand for it, and if it's little more than a simple asset port, I'm saying there's no reason they can't release it later on.

I'm not expecting them to do it, but there is an elitist attitude going around that Switch owners don't deserve it.

I think you're focusing too hard on one comment, most people are just being realistic

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've never understood the "Well Nintendo should port Wii U games to the Switch because nobody bought the Wii U" sentiment in the first place.

I didn't buy a Playstation 3, I think Sony should port all their games to the Switch so I can play them. Oh you're saying I should buy a Playstation 3 if I want to play those games? Huh.

Sendou

I think by large people want to see as many Wii U games ported to Switch as possible no matter whether they owned Wii U or not. Literally no downsides to this if we assume they're outsourcing these ports smartly. What I personally can't understand is some of the downplaying when it comes to Splatoon 2 when we don't even have full picture of the game. Basically the "it's just port of Splatoon 1" narrative of which "why can't they just include all of Splatoon 1's content" is just extension to. Like they will rerelease Splatoon 1 at some point but why does it have to be 2 years from launch? I don't understand this.

So at least from my view I would like them to focus on delivering enough new content for it to feel fresh for people that played the first game instead of putting resources towards rehashing the content from the first game too much. It's not even something there is examples of in the past. Certainly not with Nintendo and 2 years between the launch of the two games.

Would be interesting to see them offer it as DLC- IIRC Persona 4 Arena Ultimax did the same thing for the original P4A's campaign.

If they do it at all it should be entirely separate from Splatoon 2, kinda like what they did with the 3DS Kirby minigames later on. Mostly for space and resource reasons. Make it like 10 bucks by itself, maybe expand it a bit.

HardRojo

I've never understood the "Well Nintendo should port Wii U games to the Switch because nobody bought the Wii U" sentiment in the first place.

I didn't buy a Playstation 3, I think Sony should port all their games to the Switch so I can play them. Oh you're saying I should buy a Playstation 3 if I want to play those games? Huh.
I know you really like to defend Nintendo but at least bring up a valid analogy. PS3 sold a decent amount, whereas the Wii U barely lived past its childhood years, and for good reason. Nintendo fucked up bigtime with that console.
Regarding this topic, I said that no one should really expect Splatoon 2 to include the original game's campaign, but it would be a nice bonus for newcomers if they were to do that, the mode has already been developed FFS. How anyone (besides the stupid "You didn't get a Wii U? Well too bad for you!" argument some people are bringing up) would disagree with that I can't understand. As I said, the Wii U didn't fire up the charts, so it would make total sense for Nintendo to give new life to titles with a wider reach such as Smash Bros. and Mario Kart in their latest console, which by the way, seems to be doing fine since release.

Yep, it is a pretty stupid point even if you were to see it from a business' point of view. Why limit the audience of a game that's already been developed? Take advantage of those otherwise sunk costs.

tsab

I would love to replay it.
If I were Nintendo I would offer it as unlockable via amiibos or dlc. Or maybe an arranged/remixed version

Fandangox

Majora's Mask?

A better example is Mario Galaxy 2.

I really wonder if the whole port thing was because of the rumors, I remember people noticing all the differences from the first Splatoon as early as the first Switch footage for the game was shown on the reveal.

lol @ petty MFs saying people who didn't buy a Wii U don't deserve for S1's campaign to be included in S2.

So glad I picked up a Nintendo system again so I can be in your company.

There are petty people that own every console. Not sure what your point is.

First of all, quite a few games have included the previous in them. Famously Pokemon. You can play most of Rayman Origins in Rayman Legends, and other examples have already been given.

We already know Splatoon 2 is a full sequel and will have it's own single player, this has nothing to do with that. It's a request to have the first game's campaign added as a bonus. I'd love to unlock the first game's single player after say, finishing the sequel's single player. It would be one heck of an extra.

The difference there is, I have absolutely no idea how Nintendo can make Mario Kart better right now. MK8 has everything you would want, and with Deluxe including all the DLC, no way Nintendo makes a better MK9 in just a short 3 years.

Same with Smash. I am expecting a Smash Deluxe version, but it would be funny how they call that one on Switch since it was just called Smash Bros. Wii U and didn't have a specific name or number on it.

Top Bottom