• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Splatoon 2 include the original game's campaign?

How is that elitist?

Everyone spent the last few years with their heads up their butts, trashing the Wii U, calling it a doomed garbage flop. Meanwhile, great games like Splatoon came out and the system really delivered some of the most fun games I've ever played.

Now that the Wii U is dead everyone is whining that they didn't get to play the games. Too bad, so sad. They should have supported Nintendo and purchased the game/system when it was released.

Should Breath of the Wild have included Skyward Sword? Should Street Fighter V include Street Fighter IV? No. The games are sequels, not ports.

I don't think anyone is saying that Nintendo is or should feel obligated to do this but it would be cool to get that campaign on Switch somehow because not enough people experienced it. While I'm certainly not one of those people that are like "they just copy and pasted Splatoon 1"; Splatoon 2 is clearly an evolution of the first game (which is all it needs to be).

They would only need to port over the Splatoon 1 campaign because I feel confident in saying that going from Splatoon 2 PVP back to Splatoon 1 PVP probably would not be a great time. It's like the Left 4 Dead games. If Splatoon 1 is Left 4 Dead then Splatoon 2 is Left 4 Dead 2. L4D2 was slightly better looking than L4D1 (much like how Splatoon 2 is slightly better looking than Splatoon 1) and mechanically L4D2 is the same as the first game but better (with additions like melee combat) making the first game difficult for many to go back to. Having said that, Valve eventually patched the PC version of L4D2 to add the first game's characters and stages to L4D2 for free, so you could use those great new mechanics in the classic L4D stages which were still great even with the new mechanics that weren't designed with the first game in mind but they meshed with the game just fine.

The point I'm making is that including SFIV in SFV wouldn't really make sense because they don't have the same roster, the same feel or the same art style and including Skyward Sword with Breath of the Wild wouldn't make sense because of the radically different design philosophies the two games have. Splatoon 2 is a natural evolution of Splatoon 1 and thus remaking the Splatoon 1 campaign in the Splatoon 2 engine and releasing it as Splatoon 2 dlc would be great! (that was a mouthful...)

I can't think of any other 'sequel' in the history of videogames that is more of a straight asset lift or looks more like a DLC/expansion of the first game than Splatoon 2 though. You couldn't even tell 2 screenshots apart.

NES_Super_Mario_Bros.png

NES_01.gif

1355d1227273859-left-4-dead-screenshots-hl2-2008-11-21-14-32-13-01.jpg

Left-4-Dead-3-System-Requirements.jpg

call-of-duty-system-requirements.png

2022713-resistance_domination.jpg

Nonsense. There are plenty of sequels that look more similar than Splatoon and Splatoon 2. The fact Splatoon 2 is tailored for a different console is a pretty big justification and it'll be packed with brand new content including a new campaign. It'll be very easy to tell the final product apart from the first game, even the test fire had visual and gameplay refinements.

To highlight the character model improvements just look at the spawn scene:

Same art style for sure but there are some clear improvements and this is a build several months from launch. The Inkling's heads for instance look a lot more slippery on Switch whereas Wii U just has light reflections. Textures and lighting have also seen a significant upgrade.

HardRojo

The difference there is, I have absolutely no idea how Nintendo can make Mario Kart better right now. MK8 has everything you would want, and with Deluxe including all the DLC, no way Nintendo makes a better MK9 in just a short 3 years.

Same with Smash. I am expecting a Smash Deluxe version, but it would be funny how they call that one on Switch since it was just called Smash Bros. Wii U and didn't have a specific name or number on it.

Super Smash Bros. for Switch and they'll make damn sure you know it includes all of the DLC.
Yeah I have no interest at all in re-buying MK8 for the Switch. I hope that the opportunity cost of porting this game is not preventing them from working on the sequel.
You really think the cost of this port would be anywhere near that of a full blown new entry in the series?

tsab

The difference there is, I have absolutely no idea how Nintendo can make Mario Kart better right now. MK8 has everything you would want, and with Deluxe including all the DLC, no way Nintendo makes a better MK9 in just a short 3 years.

Same with Smash. I am expecting a Smash Deluxe version, but it would be funny how they call that one on Switch since it was just called Smash Bros. Wii U and didn't have a specific name or number on it.

It was called Super Smash Bros for(4) Wii U / Super Smash Bros for(4) 3DS
So maybe Super Smash Bros for Switch?

You really think the cost of this port would be anywhere near that of a full blown new entry in the series?

Opportunity cost is not the same thing as financial cost. In this case, it means it might not be worth releasing a Mario Kart 9 on switch because people are already happy with the full priced retail offering they already have in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

eXistor

Nah. Honeslty, I kinda wish they'd drop the campaign altogether and make a single player spin-off. The campaign in 1 was okay at best, but I can see a full-on action adventure game working like a charm.

Hari Seldon

Every port takes developer resources. I don't know if they farmed the port out or not, but if you own the game then it is better for you if all developer resources are being spent on a new game that you can enjoy. I don't really care that much, but I understand the frustration of people who supported the WiiU (like I did) seeing all of this port begging because fundamentally that is taking away developer resources from people who actually supported Nintendo last gen.

Banned
Yes. For two reasons:

1) Despite selling 5 million copies on an install base of 13.6 million, there are still so many owners of Nintendo hardware who didn't play it (when looking at 3DS install base vs Wii U)

2) I never owned the first but the game and its campaign are highly regarded. So I want it for selfish reasons lol.

HardRojo

Opportunity cost is not the same thing as financial cost.

I know, but in this case the opportunity cost would be what? The few people working on the port who could be working on a hypothetical new entry along with the reduced budget? Who's to say a sequel isn't already in pre production? They wouldn't need a whole studio for that yet. There's no comparison, really.

Do like Rayman Legends where you remaster a few of the older stages. Maybe with new mechanics.
Lower development cost while creating more content.

Neff

It should have a new, expanded campaign. It was great in the first game but I thought and do think that they could do some extraordinary things with the concept if they gave it more love.

The only things which need to carry over from the first game are of course the MP stages and weapons, and ideally the music too.

HardRojo

Every port takes developer resources. I don't know if they farmed the port out or not, but if you own the game then it is better for you if all developer resources are being spent on a new game that you can enjoy. I don't really care that much, but I understand the frustration of people who supported the WiiU (like I did) seeing all of this port begging because fundamentally that is taking away developer resources from people who actually supported Nintendo last gen.

Look at it this way: If Nintendo were to leave titles like Smash and Mario Kart on the Wii U, they would effectively be sunk costs. By porting them over to the Switch, Nintendo can actually take advantage of said costs and maybe even turn a bigger profit that could fund the sequel people want. It's a win/win situation considering the Switch is off to a great start and these titles could see some increased exposure, they need it.

Eusis

Should Halo 3 have included the Halo 2 campaign? I don't think it should be expected at all.
I actually realized the closest analogue to my thought process is Halo 1 and 2, in that I wanted to skip Halo 1 entirely in favor of the online MP of the sequel, and similarly here I wanted to wait for the new game as by the time I was thinking to get Splatoon it was still nearly full price and it'd look like the scene would probably move to Switch.

But Switch is also more convenient for me to play, and price is a lot more stubborn on dropping with Nintendo games; I ultimately got Halo 1 for $10. Will that happen with Splatoon 1? Although being able to buy the original campaign for $10 would be a nice compromise situation.

For the life of me, I cannot understand everyone in this thread crapping on this idea. If it doesn't affect the new campaign or multiplayer maps, why wouldn't you want it included? Splatoon isn't available on the Switch, nor is the Switch BC with the Wii U. How is it a bad thing to include the original campaign, playable on a new system that has a handheld mode, especially if it doesn't increase the cost of the package. Bayonetta did this, and I didn't hear anyone complain. I mean, if you don't want it, don't play that portion of the game, but at least allow the rest of us who didn't originally play the game on the Wii U the chance to experience it!

The people dismissing this idea come across as butthurt fans who don't want people experiencing the first campaign without paying for it, just like they did.

HardRojo

For the life of me, I cannot understand everyone in this thread capping on this idea. If it doesn't affect the new campaign or multiplayer maps, why wouldn't you want it included? Splatoon isn't available on the Switch, nor is the Switch BC with the Wii U. How is it a bad thing to include the original campaign, playable on a new system that has a handheld mode, especially if it doesn't increase the cost of the package. Bayonetta did this, and I didn't hear anyone complain. I mean, if you don't want it, don't play that portion of the game, but at least allow the rest of us who didn't originally play the game on the Wii U the chance to experience it!

The people dismissing this idea come across as butthurt fans who don't want people experiencing the first campaign without paying for it, just like they did.

Someone actually said something similar as the reason they didn't want the first campagin in the sequel. It's really mind-boggling lol.

Hari Seldon

Look at it this way: If Nintendo were to leave titles like Smash and Mario Kart on the Wii U, they would effectively be sunk costs. By porting them over to the Switch, Nintendo can actually take advantage of said costs and maybe even turn a bigger profit that could fund the sequel people want. It's a win/win situation considering the Switch is off to a great start and these titles could see some increased exposure, they need it.

Yeah it probably does make great financial sense. But as a WiiU owner I want new games and not old games. If you don't own a WiiU, then a sequel or a port is still a new game to you.

For the life of me, I cannot understand everyone in this thread capping on this idea. If it doesn't affect the new campaign or multiplayer maps, why wouldn't you want it included? Splatoon isn't available on the Switch, nor is the Switch BC with the Wii U. How is it a bad thing to include the original campaign, playable on a new system that has a handheld mode, especially if it doesn't increase the cost of the package. Bayonetta did this, and I didn't hear anyone complain. I mean, if you don't want it, don't play that portion of the game, but at least allow the rest of us who didn't originally play the game on the Wii U the chance to experience it!

It's not that I don't want it included, it's that I see no reason why it would be.

KtSlime

I can't think of any other 'sequel' in the history of videogames that is more of a straight asset lift or looks more like a DLC/expansion of the first game than Splatoon 2 though. You couldn't even tell 2 screenshots apart.

Pokémon Gold/Silver? Call of Duty? Super Mario Bros 2? The list can go on, but I don't think it really matters, if the story is different, and gameplay improved, so what if they reuse some models/textures.

Geg

Yes. For two reasons:

1) Despite selling 5 million copies on an install base of 13.6 million, there are still so many owners of Nintendo hardware who didn't play it (when looking at 3DS install base vs Wii U)

2) I never owned the first but the game and its campaign are highly regarded. So I want it for selfish reasons lol.

Honestly I think most of the single player campaign is pretty standard, it's just that the final boss is excellent.

OmegaFax

I think the game should try its best to stand on its own teniticles.

The game I tried over the weekend doesn't feel overly different from the Wii U game I played nearly two years ago. It does seem like it's built on the same tech. Adapting the original campaign and possibly expanding Amiibo support to have levels adjusted for weapons in Splatoon 2 wouldn't be a reaching request.

I'm probably going to miss those loading screen minigames. The music warping can do in the sequel isn't the same.

It's still a wait and see whether calling this game a sequel is purely a marketing decision. Otherwise including the original game with these editions puts it into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe territory. Seems like they wanted to avoid that with Splatoon.

B00TE

If they had a way to quickly bring it over, it's something I wish more people could play. The campaign was super good. I'd certainly replay it again.

HardRojo

Yeah it probably does make great financial sense. But as a WiiU owner I want new games and not old games. If you don't own a WiiU, then a sequel or a port is still a new game to you.

You're falling for the Remaster = 1 less new game being developed fallacy. Just because one title is being remastered or ported over, it doesn't that you're being stripped of a new game you would have otherwise gotten. People kept bringing this up at the start of this gen when both PS4 and XBO received numerous ports and remasters, but they kept receiving new games too.
Pokémon Gold/Silver? Call of Duty? Super Mario Bros 2? The list can go on, but I don't think it really matters, if the story is different, and gameplay improved, so what if they reuse some models/textures.
I don't get this. I already mentioned that no one should actually expect the first campaign to be available in the sequel, but why would it be so bad for you if newcomers actually were able to play said campaign in Splatoon 2? That's the point I don't get, why would it matter to you? You're still getting the full Splatoon 2 experience.

atr0cious

The game I tried over the weekend doesn't feel overly different from the Wii U game I played nearly two years ago. It does seem like it's built on the same tech. Adapting the original campaign and possibly expanding Amiibo support to have levels adjusted for weapons in Splatoon 2 wouldn't be a reaching request.

I'm probably going to miss those loading screen minigames. The music warping can do in the sequel isn't the same.

It's still a wait and see whether calling this game a sequel is purely a marketing decision. Otherwise including the original game with these editions puts it into Mario Kart 8 Deluxe territory. Seems like they wanted to avoid that with Splatoon.
You didn't play the game much if you can't tell the game is different. Like seriously, almost everything is changed, from movement to mechanics.

spekkeh

Banned
Meh I still haven't finished the main campaign. I try to push on because apparently the end boss is fantastic, but it just has too many annoying niggles. You keep having to look for the next level, and while the game is a fantastic shooter (or 'zoner') it's a pretty mediocre platformer. And then all the narrow platforms and pits just don't add a lot of fun to the games. Of course every time you fall into a pit three times because it didnt register your jump, you have to start all over because fuck you we still live in the 1980s.

I think everybody was just amazed that a budget multiplayer shooter also turned out to have a very inventive single player, and there also were a lot of things to like in the campaign. So for the sequel I just want them to focus on what worked and now deliver a campaign that doesn't annoy you every five minutes.

It's not that I don't want it included, it's that I see no reason why it would be.

Because the Switch is going to outsell the Wii U in its first year alone. The increased userbase will have not played the original. Including the original campaign not only increases the value of the package of the sequel, but as I previously said, allows many who passed on the game the first time for whatever reason the chance to experience the glory of the campaign that all who did experience it rave about!

What reason do you have for not wanting people to experience the first game? This is as much a Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2 situation as anything. Odds are, most of the Switch owners won't have played the original, nor do they have an ability to do such. Who is it hurting to allow more people to experience the original campaign?!?

No, just a new campaign would be fine. I feel like that if they add the first one, it'll show a lack of confidence in their second campaign. It should be bigger and better.

As much as Andromeda should have included the Mass Effect 1-3 campaigns, but it's pretty unreasonable to ask the developer/publisher to do that.

Because the Switch is going to outsell the Wii U in its first year alone. The increased userbase will have not played the original. Including the original campaign not only increases the value of the package of the sequel, but as I previously said, allows many who passed on the game the first time for whatever reason the chance to experience the glory of the campaign that all who did experience it rave about!

What reason do you have for not wanting people to experience the first game? This is as much a Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2 situation as anything. Odds are, most of the Switch owners won't have played the original, nor do they have an ability to do such. Who is it hurting to allow more people to experience the original campaign?!?
I think you're missing the point, no one here doesn't want people to experience the first game, it's just very unrealistic to expect this from the developers. Goldenroad put it pretty well:
As much as Andromeda should have included the Mass Effect 1-3 campaigns, but it's pretty unreasonable to ask the developer/publisher to do that.

The fact Splatoon 2 is a sequel doesn't really matter, I'm sure many people played Call of Duty 4 without playing Call of Duty 3.

phanphare

Banned

this is really the most important thing from my perspective. Nintendo needs to do everything they can do to make the sequel look as fresh as possible. not including the first campaign would aid in that effort. if they want to release it as DLC after the Splatoon 2 content rollout is done that'd probably be the best way to go about it.

Peltz

So you've never played....

Mega Man 2-6
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Majora's Mask
Metal Slug 2-5
etc.

Listen, I agree the game doesn't yet feel like a full-on sequel yet based on that testfire . But the reason isn't due to similar assets. It's due to the similar gameplay without much to differentiate it compared to the first game.

That can certainly change depending on the stuff we haven't seen yet.

spekkeh

Banned

TANSTAAFL.

It will hurt the people who have bought the first game, because it will come back in elevated price or less effort in the rest of the package.

The fact Splatoon 2 is a sequel doesn't really matter, I'm sure many people played Call of Duty 4 without playing Call of Duty 3.

Let's be real, here: no one bought COD4 for the campaign.

Also, you can't compare Splatoon/Spla2n to ME/2/3/Andromeda. The campaign in Splatoon is like 10 hours long, tops, and is only a piece of the whole game. ME/2/3 are about 100 hours long, and the campaign is 90% of the content. Giant difference here. Besides, if you own an X1 or PC, you have access to play ME/2/3 on your platform of choice. There is no way to play Splatoon on Switch. None. Nada.

Which required no effort from Microsoft, they just bundled in some BC games. It was also a limited time deal to try and entice people to buy the new Gears games.

I also notice you keep ignoring my Bayonetta comparison, or others' Rayman Legends comparisons. Is it commonplace to do this? Of course not. However, it isn't unheard of, and least of all, not from games on Nintendo's hardware!

Eusis

Uhhh, new engine, and massive games where the SP was the draw (and only component)?

Part of why people want this is also because it MIGHT be relatively easy. Lift the old campaign out, and transfer to the updated gameplay engine. Mass Effect had more straight up incompatible changes and was just too damn big to work, the Splatoon campaign is, presumably, a much smaller slice of that pie, and I kind of expect most MP maps to be retained.
Let's be real, here: no one bought COD4 for the campaign.
Bullshit, if anything it was probably THE one time people were really excited to go through a CoD campaign, before MP drowned it all out. But no one really cared about the CoD3 campaign and it wasn't even the same developer.

Protome

Between this and the people complaining Destiny 2 won't carry over your Destiny character progression, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a contingent of people on Neogaf who have never played a sequel before.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
On the surface yah, but I hope not, just so they can drive the message that it is a sequel.

Wouldn't want to give the ammo to trolls that keep insisting this is a port.

Bayonetta 1+2 on Wii U is a 2 games bundle and you can purchase Bayonetta 1 separately. What this topic is saying to include the first game's campaign into the core game of Splatoon 2, while still being a single title. So its vastly different.

phanphare

Banned
I also notice you keep ignoring my Bayonetta comparison, or others' Rayman Legends comparisons. Is it commonplace to do this? Of course not. However, it isn't unheard of, and least of all, not from games on Nintendo's hardware!

the original Bayonetta wasn't on Nintendo hardware so that's a bit different

it's the reason why people bitched (rightfully so) that Wii U got Mass Effect 3 and not the trilogy because the first two games weren't available on Nintendo hardware

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The final boss is really the only thing worth carrying over. The core levels were merely alright, but short and breezy and mostly unmemorable. Imagine most of them would be reinterpreted or re utilized anyway in the sequel campaign.

KtSlime

You're falling for the Remaster = 1 less new game being developed fallacy. Just because one title is being remastered or ported over, it doesn't that you're being stripped of a new game you would have otherwise gotten. People kept bringing this up at the start of this gen when both PS4 and XBO received numerous ports and remasters, but they kept receiving new games too.

I don't get this. I already mentioned that no one should actually expect the first campaign to be available in the sequel, but why would it be so bad for you if newcomers actually were able to play said campaign in Splatoon 2? That's the point I don't get, why would it matter to you? You're still getting the full Splatoon 2 experience.

I never owned a Wii U, so I did not get many chances to play Splatoon, and never the single player so it would be nice to play that campaign. So no I don't think it is bad per se, but why is this treatment expected for Splatoon, but not say, Battle Field 2, or any/every other sequel?

Should every sequel be expected to contain the original game? How do we determine which games should and should not contain the original game? Should it be only series that didn't have a release on the current platform? Or games that are low on content? Perhaps it should only be limited to certain genres? Shooters should have all back content, how about fighters, RPGs?

I wish consoles were better at being backwards compatible, or having access to past games in their older sibling console's library. That would be the optimal situation.

If Nintendo does include the previous campaign, I will be grateful, but I think I will also always wonder if they skimped on content, even if they didn't. I imagine others would think so too.

Let's treat sequels as sequels and enhanced ports with bonus content as such.

Top Bottom