• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unintentional Sexual Tension in Fiction

fr0st

Banned
folgers-brother-sister-commercial-matthew-alan-explained.jpg
Lol

Not sure if unintentional. It always felt to me like Guts was the only thing that Griffith actually loved.

The Golden Age Arc is basically a story of how Griffith goes all Nice Guy™ because Guts spurned his interests, so Griffith goes on a tirade and gets all the Hawks slaughtered because they're all a bunch bitches who led him on.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I always thought there was some weird sexual tension between the actors who played father and daughter in the first season of Suburgatory, but that seemed to go away as the show went on.

Maybe it was just me imagining thinga.

tKzc.jpg

Suburgatory.
This is what I was gonna post. It definitely wasn't just you. In fact, it was a common misconception in the show's early days. I believe even the writers quickly became aware of that lingering sentiment. Fortunately it seemed like they were able to course correct a bit as the show went on, and the characters started having more clearly defined parent-child interactions.

I remember this one talk show interview with Jane Levy that got awkward real quick when the host assumed her and Jeremy Sisto were playing a couple on the show lol

Blizzard

Banned
Utter nonsense by the way. In the books he never expresses any remote interest in her like that, while you can see the Ron and Hermione relationship being foreshadowed from nearly their first interaction. In fact in the book of Goblet of Fire when it's just Harry and her hanging out while Ron is pissed at him for a few months, he all but says in the narration that he finds her kind of boring and just misses Ron's company.

I feel like that whole idea is just people shipping the actors from the movies, or worse, just projecting themselves onto the Hermione character and expecting a traditional "hero and most prominent female are love interests" format. It's absolute tripe as far as the books go.

Now Harry and Luna Lovegood in the films, on the other hand. That was some unintentional romantic writing that was not present in the books. Much more so than their actual intended romantic writing for him and Ginny.
I mean, you can disagree with the actual author if you want, but I thought she was talking about even the books when she said Harry and Hermione would work better.

I also dislike Ron's character even from the books.

Replicant

tKzc.jpg

Suburgatory.

Not only you.

This is what happens when you cast a hot, still relatively young guy as the dad whilst the daughter is also looking hot and mature as well despite being cast as a high school girl.

I mean, look at that picture. It looks like a college girl and her hot university Professor having BBQ together.

Re6 is sexual tension the game, idk if its all intentional

Obvs intentional. Chris/Pier, Helena/Leon/Ada, Jake/Sherry, and so on.

g11

a lot of people thought Winnie and Gloria were going to fuck at one point in the last season of Fargo

I feel like that was intentional.

Also you...you guys are weird. Y'all need either a lot more or a lot less...something. The amount of incestuous shipping here is disconcerting.

Now Harry and Luna Lovegood in the films, on the other hand. That was some unintentional romantic writing that was not present in the books. Much more so than their actual intended romantic writing for him and Ginny.

!!!!!!!!!!!

In the books, Harry/Hermione doesn't really make sense. I think JKR did a good job making their relationship feel purely like a brother/sister one. I'm not sure why she made those later comments because they don't make sense at all with how Harry/Hermione were written. (edit: Adding on to your point, whenever Harry and Ron were upset with one another, Harry was clearly distressed, unhappy, and bored with Hermione being his sole friend. The one time it was Hermione with whom he was unhappy with, he seems unaffected. I'm pretty sure a point is even made by Hagrid at how disappointed he is by how little Harry cares that he abandoned her)

In the movie...maybe not. Daniel Radcliffe/Emma Watson just had great chemistry. Plus Emma Watson ended up being by far the most attractive one of the kids whereas I'm pretty sure Hermione wasn't supposed to be in the books, and it seemed strange that Harry had this super attractive friend he got along with super well...but there wasn't even a hint of either of them feeling something more.

(But I do think part of it was intentional because I remember when I was watching the livestream of the final film's premiere, the hosts were like "ALL THE ANSWERS WILL FINALLY BE ANSWERED! WHO LIVES? WHO DIES? WHO WILL WIN? DOES HERMIONE GET TOGETHER WITH HARRY OR RON?")

But they obviously weren't going to ditch the super popular Ron/Hermione. So I wish they went with Harry/Luna instead, just for the films. The Harry/Luna scenes in the fifth movie were some of the few good scenes in that film. They had better chemistry than Harry/Ginny did in all 8 movies. I remember even my friends, who only watched the films, said after the 5th movie that they thought the movie was hinting at the two of them getting together in the next films.

Eylos

Banned
Chrono trigger
Chrono and Marle - intentional
Chrono and Ayla - intentional
Glenn and Cyrus - unintentional
Robot and Luca - maybe intentional?

Ff7

Cloud with Barret, yuffie, aerith, tifa, zack, sephiroth, jessie - intentional

Barret and dyne - unintentional

I guess ?

AniHawk

doug funnie and roger klotz in doug. roger really gives doug a lot of attention in the first two seasons. then he goes for the next best thing in trying to date judy, strikes out, and basically vanishes from the bully role for the rest of the series. after that, doug basically stops paying attention to shit roger says too and pays a lot more attention to patti.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Also, pretty sure they decided to make the awkward chemistry of Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter into a plot point on Dexter.
There's nothing "I'm pretty sure" about it. Debra wanted to fuck Dexter, was falling in love with him, and came back to the crime scene to tell him that lol.

Edit: dammit, sorry guys.

!!!!!!!!!!!

In the books, Harry/Hermione doesn't really make sense. I think JKR did a good job making their relationship feel purely like a brother/sister one. I'm not sure why she made those later comments because they don't make sense at all with how Harry/Hermione were written. (edit: Adding on to your point, whenever Harry and Ron were upset with one another, Harry was clearly distressed, unhappy, and bored with Hermione being his sole friend. The one time it was Hermione with whom he was unhappy with, he seems unaffected. I'm pretty sure a point is even made by Hagrid at how disappointed he is by how little Harry cares that he abandoned her)

In the movie...maybe not. Daniel Radcliffe/Emma Watson just had great chemistry. Plus Emma Watson ended up being by far the most attractive one of the kids whereas I'm pretty sure Hermione wasn't supposed to be in the books, and it seemed strange that Harry had this super attractive friend he got along with super well...but there wasn't even a hint of either of them feeling something more.

(But I do think part of it was intentional because I remember when I was watching the livestream of the final film's premiere, the hosts were like "ALL THE ANSWERS WILL FINALLY BE ANSWERED! WHO LIVES? WHO DIES? WHO WILL WIN? DOES HERMIONE GET TOGETHER WITH HARRY OR RON?")

But they obviously weren't going to ditch the super popular Ron/Hermione. So I wish they went with Harry/Luna instead, just for the films. The Harry/Luna scenes in the fifth movie were some of the few good scenes in that film. They had better chemistry than Harry/Ginny did in all 8 movies. I remember even my friends, who only watched the films, said after the 5th movie that they thought the movie was hinting at the two of them getting together in the next films.

Literally anyone would be a more interesting choice than Ginny. She is a nothing character.

Luna, Cho, Pavarti, anyone would be better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
!!!!!!!!!!!

By the Fourth book Rowling had already decided which way she was going to go, so taking anything past that as evidence is silly. If anything you want to be looking at the first three books, where it could have gone either way.

Book four is very clear about Ron and Hermione liking each other but being too immature/afraid to do anything about it. Before that, not so much.

My issue with the Ron and Hermonie pairing is that, like Han and Leia, that relationship would not work.

They constantly get into fights and shouting matches together in the books and enter periods of not speaking to one another. Their personalities clash.

Top Bottom