• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unintentional Sexual Tension in Fiction

Rezbit

1hQDpxk.gif

Lmao, what a thread dude.

Jules

Neo Member
I always thought there was some weird sexual tension between the actors who played father and daughter in the first season of Suburgatory, but that seemed to go away as the show went on.

Maybe it was just me imagining thinga.

I got this too. It was weird.

Ithil

They had so much more chemistry in the dance scene than Hermione and Ron.

If I recall correctly, even J. K. Rowling admitted years later that Hermione/Harry would have probably made more sense, and Hermione/Ron would likely need marital counseling.

Utter nonsense by the way. In the books he never expresses any remote interest in her like that, while you can see the Ron and Hermione relationship being foreshadowed from nearly their first interaction. In fact in the book of Goblet of Fire when it's just Harry and her hanging out while Ron is pissed at him for a few months, he all but says in the narration that he finds her kind of boring and just misses Ron's company.

I feel like that whole idea is just people shipping the actors from the movies, or worse, just projecting themselves onto the Hermione character and expecting a traditional "hero and most prominent female are love interests" format. It's absolute tripe as far as the books go.

Now Harry and Luna Lovegood in the films, on the other hand. That was some unintentional romantic writing that was not present in the books. Much more so than their actual intended romantic writing for him and Ginny.

Honestly, I say this without trying to be edgy or whatever, but I cannot watch the Sam Frodo scenes without cringing, laughing, or turning away from the screen.

They're SO over the top it gets ridiculous. Like fuck and get it over with fellahs.

I totally agree. I get that Sam is loyal to Frodo but it gets really old really quick.

Ithil

No way this was endgame before season 4

They were clearly setting it up in Season 3 when they quite suddenly shifted to Korra spending much more time with her than she did with the others, whereas they had been pretty distant before that. Which makes sense as Season 3 and 4 were practically made at the same time.

Fitz and Mack from Agents of Shield, S2 to be specific.
I never got this. I will never get it. Ever. Like, there's zero sexual energy there. It's very clearly a big bro/little bro relationship.

Are people really that desperate?
Blade and his mom.

tumblr_nwagal8PTT1tse85no2_1280.jpg

Maybe intentional?
That shit always weirded me out. I can't work past the idea that Blade's mom wants to fuck his brains out.
They were clearly setting it up in Season 3 when they quite suddenly shifted to Korra spending much more time with her than she did with the others, whereas they had been pretty distant before that. Which makes sense as Season 3 and 4 were practically made at the same time.

It wasn't clear at the time. It was really subtle. Retroactively, now, we can say that of course they wanted each other since the very beginning since we know what to look for. At the time? It seemed like a random fan pairing just like a billion others.
Angel and Spike
Never outright confirmed, but there is a piece of dialogue that heavily suggests that they did, at one point, bang each other. I'll try and find it.

Savitar

No way this was endgame before season 4

No way this was planned until the very end and considering how even the fans were down on the show they did a move they thought would semi help redeem the show.

And it worked.

Well it made the ending note worthy due to that. It's become the only thing the show is known for, other than being a disappointment and the station screwing everything.

DemWalls

I didn't know this commercial, and for a moment I thought this was real. I was laughing my ass off.

Faithful to the book, frankly. Although it's a product of a different time when male/male relationships could get physically touchy and emotive without being remotely sexual.

True. And while in the movies they just come out as best buddies and never reach the level of tension that's present between Sam and Frodo, Merry and Pippin are totally gay in the book. Way more than the other couple, actually, from what I remember.

Vectorman

Banned
Claire and Peter on Heroes. The actors' chemistry was so good I guess that they dated in real life for a bit lol. Course they had to make Claire Nathan's daughter so that was hilariously awkward.

LotusHD

Banned
I never got this. I will never get it. Ever. Like, there's zero sexual energy there. It's very clearly a big bro/little bro relationship.

Are people really that desperate?

Lol desperate? I just noticed it, never cared for it myself, Jemma is the one for that guy.

Top Bottom