• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

So what's more valuable atm?

Battlefury or Dragonclaw Hook?

I assume it is the Hook since Battlefury is still accessible via the headset. The prices on the steam market are basically at parity.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just lost a game we should totally have in hand because we were stuck with the most godawful Sand King I have ever seen. Early on SIlencer and Tree were chasing me down and he was following along behind them and all I needed was a stun to get away safely and he had the mana and it was off CD and he used Sandstorm instead.

He took Caustic Finale first

Throughout the entire game he was off pushing a lane while the enemy team hunted us down 5v4

he constantly kept trying to Epicenter the enemy team by himself, with diasasterous results.

And he didn't say anything. All he did was check his ping all game

Go Away

If you don't want to play a team game where the team tries to co-ordinate (and all of the rest of us were) then stop playing Dota. This isn't because he sucked, this is because he didn't communicate and nothing gets my blood boiling quite like that

Kade

Sooo many people choosing a random character and having no idea what to do lol. And a lot of people speaking spanish on the NA servers -_-

You're going to see a lot of non-English speakers and people who aren't in North America queuing in English and US-West/East. It's annoying but it's getting better thanks to chat wheel commands being displayed in whatever language your client is. Also, Mexico is in North America.

Im still a newbiw but finding so hard to survive as Lina against stealthy characters, even with some wards or dust =/ they hit HARD!

yeah anyone that can deal massive amounts of damage early game, tend to be easy to kill, stay behind your tank/durable and learn how to land that stun when your opponent is moving

Pudge is better because he can hook people without putting himself in a position to be disabled and he does damage while he disables them and he is incredibly tanky if he snowballs. Batrider has some stuff that's better about him too but don't discount Pudge.

CS: GO gifts are the best currency ever on Dota 2 Lounge. I just traded 2 CS GO for every Lina set and 1 for Cluckles.

Batrider has been consistently the most picked/banned hero in professional Dota for the last year or so in spite of the cavalcade of nerfs they've hit him with, while nobody (not even Dendi) plays Pudge anymore.

I think we can discount him.

Guys any strategy against Abbadon? It seems like he has high armor and can heal insane amounts of health. Cant get him 1v1 as Lina and sometimes even 2v1. Thanks :)

So we are getting some kind of new cinematic tonight? I was disappointed we didnt get one for the games official launch so this is nice. Hopefully the quality is as good as the TF2 cinematics, but more serious considering the different tone of the 2 games.

Skab

So we are getting some kind of new cinematic tonight? I was disappointed we didnt get one for the games official launch so this is nice. Hopefully the quality is as good as the TF2 cinematics, but more serious considering the different tone of the 2 games.

Wait, what. Is this true?

Haunted

Catching your carry just on the edge of chronosphere a second after he activated bkb.

Feels bad man.

Sooo many people choosing a random character and having no idea what to do lol. And a lot of people speaking spanish on the NA servers -_-
Hey, that's me!

So just played a really intense match with Alchi and had solo lane against Gyrocopter in the beginning...Is that supposed to be a lane that I should win? Gyro would just stun and flak cannon me when I tried to harass...I gave up two deaths to that..tried harassing with unstable concoction in the beginning but I just didn't do enough damage...

So just played a really intense match with Alchi and had solo lane against Gyrocopter in the beginning...Is that supposed to be a lane that I should win? Gyro would just stun and flak cannon me when I tried to harass...I gave up two deaths to that..tried harassing with unstable concoction in the beginning but I just didn't do enough damage...

If his stun is hitting you and leaves you in range for his barrage/flak, you're too far forward. Use Acid Spray to harass, but careful not to push the wave too much.

Übermatik;71817701 said:
If his stun is hitting you and leaves you in range for his barrage/flak, you're too far forward. Use Acid Spray to harass, but careful not to push the wave too much.

I was more worried about the stun. ..If I run too far back, it does way too much damage and I feel like I have to abandon the lane...if I stay too close, I'm open for him to attack. I suppose I could've hugged the tower and it would've been ok? I didn't put any points into acid spray so that's something I will definitely keep in mind but I was worried about pushing the lane if I used it.Just kinda mentally replaying it in my mind right now (I was trying to rush midas in the beginning but I suppose that further exacerbated the situation- abandoned midas and went to build treads after like my first death). I ended up carrying the game hard for the most part (stupid mistakes at the end- opening myself to Doom- my itemization was probably not ideal for endgame as I needed to be more tanky). But laning seems to be a common issue with me. I mean thankfully Alchi can contribute with a solid stun early midgame because otherwise I would've been shutdown big time.

Match- 248281757 for those of you that are curious (75 min long match though)

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
God damn you people, I leave for a few days and look what happens, you talked shit on bloodseeker.

Hero is awesome, don't kid yourselves into thinking otherwise. Yes, you can escape him if he 1v1 ganks someone at full hp, but that's not too big of a problem. He's a skirmisher more than anything that is a dominating force as the laning phase breaks down and you transition into mid game. Sure other heroes can fill this role as well, but BS has strengths that the others don't.

Early in the game when heroes don't have the HP to mitigate it, or if you get far enough ahead of them, rupture essentially functions as a 1000 range root, absolutely brutal. TP to a lane, rupture an enemy out of the fog with your teammates coming in to help, very hard to deal with. Combine this with the most spammable dispel/silence in the game and he is an early game offensive machine, capable of the same sort of lockdown you see from a qop or storm with orchid, just without the instant cast.

Going in further, a big problem with early/mid game, gank centric heroes, pudge especially in my experience, is that they can have problems getting out with their lives after a kill. In higher level games people are going to be teleporting in to counter a lot of the time and the ganking hero is going to get nailed with a lot of spells on the rebound looking for that return kill. BS gets a big heal if he manages to get the hero kill, allowing him to stay in the fight against the counter gank and continue contributing with his silence if nothing else. His E gives him a ton of MS to get in and out of the fight and a bunch of armor thanks to recent changes (6 at level 4) which lets you face tank a lot of right clicks as well. His ability to get in and stay in during those 2-4 hero skirmishes early on is pretty impressive.

Looking more at his E, that vision of low HP heroes is awesome during all points in the game. You can pick off low HP heroes trying to escape a fight, see people getting low jungling early on, and it makes ganking heroes that can invis much much easier combined with a dust, because how many times have you got them low only to have them get away with next to no HP when dust wears off? You're pretty much immune to juking as well, combine this with phase boots and good luck getting away.

And even after all of this BS brings yet more to the table with his ability to semi carry. Decent stat gains combined with a built in steroid if you choose to use it that way can make for a right clicking machine, something that a lot of proposed "better gankers" can't transition to.

Go rupture an anti-mage and tell me this hero isn't fucking awesome.

beat korok with BS get at me he's the best

+1 Procarbine

Bloodseeker so underrated.

Bloodseeker is one of my favourite laning characters, he has to snowball to make it worth it but the fact he can gain hp on denies is ridiculous. I currently really like him as a hard counter to Weaver solo lanes. Though I think if your opponent picks up blademail it can hurt him a lot.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Bloodseeker is one of my favourite laning characters, he has to snowball to make it worth it but the fact he can gain hp on denies is ridiculous. I currently really like him as a hard counter to Weaver solo lanes. Though I think if your opponent picks up blademail it can hurt him a lot.

No he doesn't really, his skills are very powerful on their own when used in conjunction with your team. And he's not all that good against weaver in lane, he only gets really good against him once he picks up rupture. Blademail hurts anyone that does good burst, but at least seeker can mitigate it with that heal.

Sibylus

Banned
I've gone from hating Bloodseeker to loving him with all the buffs he's received patch after patch. Even without a ton of farm, he can be pretty useful in a utility role.

Hylian7

Apparently /d2g/ Ocelots bowed out of the tournament, so the high bracket game isn't happening tonight. There will be matches tomorrow though.

Haunted

Apparently /d2g/ Ocelots bowed out of the tournament, so the high bracket game isn't happening tonight. There will be matches tomorrow though.
Shame. I was watching (also looked at the GAF game in your archive) and you're doing a good job explaining the picks and analysing strategies at the start and then there's solid play-by-playing the actual action - really enjoyed your casting! :)

Aselith

Batrider has been consistently the most picked/banned hero in professional Dota for the last year or so in spite of the cavalcade of nerfs they've hit him with, while nobody (not even Dendi) plays Pudge anymore.

I think we can discount him.

I don't think so. Professional dota revolves around different things than pub dota. Batrider is excellent for pro dota because once you grab someone they're grabbed until the end of the ult even if he gets stunned and he has better mobility. On the pub side, you don't have to worry as much about people tp'ing in immediately. He's very good at killing solo heroes quickly in a way that batrider is not but since the pro scene is focused around team ganking, Batrider is much better suited in that scene. He's faster and he has a stronger disable if he's being used to disable for teammates rather than expecting to do the damage.

I don't think that means he's the better hero. He's just better suited for use in that scene.

And frankly any hero is likely to hit the pro meta at some point. Someone will use a strat that needs Pudge and suddenly he'll be FOTM.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ok I gotta rant.

I NEVER had big problems with matchmaking. I mean sure sometimes you get the match that is completely stacked in the enemies favor but whatever.

Today though.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I am playing on my smurf account, NO not to "own noobs", but to teach other gaffers. So I am constantly helping them, naturally not playing my best, but I am ok with that.

Well, my smurf has 5 wins, my teammates all have 5 or less wins.

Our enemies?

350 wins
200 wins
100 wins

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK? Of course we get obliterated every lane. Yes the enemy has the occasional 1 win guy, but just 2 of the others can carry the whole team. Most of these guys were also in a stack, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Gonna post this in the dev forum, because this is not fun for anyone.

Inversive

Ok I gotta rant.

I NEVER had big problems with matchmaking. I mean sure sometimes you get the match that is completely stacked in the enemies favor but whatever.

Today though.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I am playing on my smurf account, NO not to "own noobs", but to teach other players. So I am constantly helping them, naturally not playing my best, but I am ok with that.

Our enemies?

350 wins
200 wins
100 wins

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK? Of course we get obliterated every lane. Yes the enemy has the occasional 1 win guy, but just 2 of the others can carry the whole team. Most of these guys were also in a stack, which makes it even more ridiculous.

i have ran into this before but playing on my normal account, I had 400 wins but my team mates had 10-20 and the enemy had 400-800 wins (lol). Basically MM is shit and smurfs fuck it up even more. Don't smurf :D
yes we got stomped into the ground.

InflictedOwned

Neo Member
Ok I gotta rant.

Today though.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I am playing on my smurf account, NO not to "own noobs", but to teach other players. So I am constantly helping them, naturally not playing my best, but I am ok with that.

Our enemies?

350 wins
200 wins
100 wins

Yeah, I'm not really sure what's up with new people being placed against people with tons of experience. There was a bit in the latest patch notes about
players getting match against others with a large disparity in games played, but it still happened to me today. Had a guy on my team with 12 wins when everyone else in the game had at least 300. Pretty frustrating, to say the least.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ok I gotta rant.

Today though.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I am playing on my smurf account, NO not to "own noobs", but to teach other gaffers. So I am constantly helping them, naturally not playing my best, but I am ok with that.

Our enemies?

350 wins
200 wins
100 wins

Working as intended. Valve's MM algorithm does pretty well at pulling people into their appropriate tiers after as little as 5 games, and if you were partied with other players why wouldn't you expect to get queued against other parties?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
i have ran into this before but playing on my normal account, I had 400 wins but my team mates had 10-20 and the enemy had 400-800 wins (lol). Basically MM is shit and smurfs fuck it up even more. Don't smurf :D

But I shouldn't be matched up against these people. I am not playing to win on my smurf account. I am not picking carries and bashing new players heads in. I make a lot of mistakes because I am constantly watching other players and talking. Hell, I died to neutrals 2 times because I wasn't paying attention to my hero.

There is no reason for the MM to assume that I am some kind of pro. Nor anyone in my party. It is setting us up against high level stacks, just because we are a stack as well. That's completely bullshit.

These are 600 hours of experience players against 10 hours. Ridiculous to the max. And not only is this shitty for me, but how does Valve expect new players to have fun, when they are not even facing at least smurfs. They can see that they are matched against people with 40 times the experience. If my first games looked like this, I don't know if I would have kept playing.
Working as intended. Valve's MM algorithm does pretty well at pulling people into their appropriate tiers after as little as 5 games, and if you were partied with other players why wouldn't you expect to get queued against other parties?

It is in NO WAY working as intended. Cut the bullshit. We are a stack of 3 people who have 5 wins each. 2 of these people are genuinly new. They play heroes they have never played, they don't lasthit perfectly, they don't deny perfectly. As am I. As I said right now. I am not playing my best. not even close. I am playing barely better than someone who played 50 games maybe. I am not carrying these games. For what it's worth there is no way MM should place me against these people.

5 people on my team have less than 10 wins. No smurfs except for me. And it places us against a stack where 3 of the people have over 100 wins? One of them over 400? Tell me how that is in any way fair or "intended". And I expect to play against stacks of 2 or 3 or even 5. But players who are at least somewhat close. I don't care if they have 20 wins more, or even 50. Hell even if there is one guy with over a 100 wins in there, I wouldn't mind that much. But setting a stack of new players against a stack of veterans is simply in no way a good matchmaking system.

sixghost

But I shouldn't be matched up against these people. I am not playing to win on my smurf account. I am not picking carries and bashing new players heads in. I make a lot of mistakes because I am constantly watching other players and talking. Hell, I died to neutrals 2 times because I wasn't paying attention to my hero.

There is no reason for the MM to assume that I am some kind of pro. Nor anyone in my party. It is setting us up against high level stacks, just because we are a stack as well. That's completely bullshit.

These are 600 hours of experience players against 10 hours. Ridiculous to the max. And not only is this shitty for me, but how does Valve expect new players to have fun, when they are not even facing at least smurfs. They can see that they are matched against people with 40 times the experience. If my first games looked like this, I don't know if I would have kept playing.

It is in NO WAY working as intended. Cut the bullshit. We are a stack of 3 people who have 5 wins each. 2 of these people are genuinly new. They play heroes they have never played, they don't lasthit perfectly, they don't deny perfectly. As am I. As I said right now. I am not playing my best. not even close. I am playing barely better than someone who played 50 games maybe. I am not carrying these games. For what it's worth there is no way MM should place me against these people.

5 people on my team have less than 10 wins. No smurfs except for me. And it places us against a stack where 3 of the people have over 100 wins? One of them over 400? Tell me how that is in any way fair or "intended". And I expect to play against stacks of 2 or 3 or even 5. But players who are at least somewhat close. I don't care if they have 20 wins more, or even 50. Hell even if there is one guy with over a 100 wins in there, I wouldn't mind that much. But setting a stack of new players against a stack of veterans is simply in no way a good matchmaking system.
Were you crushing the other teams in the previous games? Did you know all the people on your team? Maybe you got matched up with a couple other smurfs.

It's hard to criticize the matchmaking too much when people are messing around with it by creating new accounts.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Were you crushing the other teams in the previous games? Did you know all the people on your team? Maybe you got matched up with a couple other smurfs.

It's hard to criticize the matchmaking too much when people are messing around with it by creating new accounts.

The first game I was a 5 stack with 4 completely new people. I was never "crushing" anyone with this account beforehand. Yes I won 2 games, but I take little credit in that. Teammates in the other games, where we were a 3 stack were new. And if they were smurfs, they were the most horrible smurf players ever. It's safe to assume everyone on my team was new except for me, and again I say I didn't try to carry these games or anything.

This is a game I was playing:
Dire:

Radiant:

I mean... really?

Sibylus

Banned
The problem with using a smurf at all is that you're not going to be dialing down your skill by playing a support or the like, any experience you've gleaned is going to elevate the success of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom