• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ads on PS4 - it'shappening.gif

I don't even bother with the What's New section anymore, to be honest. Do you guys check it a lot?

they need give us incentive to go and check the wall. simple updates that show trophies and who started playing a random game? who cares.

I would go and check it out if I was getting more out of it, things that might make people check it more include: gaming news, a way for friends to review games, new retail releases, new indie releases, new DLC releases, PS+ discounts, PS+ free games, friends that are streaming, friends that are playing a game you own.

TyrantII

"Omg, no one wants social media stuff for their gaming console. Stupid Sony"

"Omg, you should all care that there's ads in your social media feed on your console. Stupid Sony!"

As long as it sticks to the social feed and stays around the 1/20th it seems to be... Who the hell cares? Supposedly no one goes there anyways, as I've been told social media stuff and gaming are just a fad.

Nymphae

Banned
Not seeing the big deal here. I never look at the What's New tab, and if I did, I can handle a non intrusive ad like what people have posted here.

genbatzu

Can someone take a picture of what the OP is talking about?

this, just with ps4 interface:

everything marked with "PlayStation®" is a kind of advertisment. but as far as I've seen only advertisement for stuff you can find in the Playstation Network Store
img_1931qha26.png
img_19300uzj1.png

tbh I'm totally ok with this kind of ad. on the App-Version you even have to tap on it, to see the actual advertisement xD

I don't mind it too much... but it really should be an option to turn off if we're paying for PS+ now. Maybe if they had another tab or section that didn't interfere with the FB style whats new tab... something like a Sony tab or Promotions etc. It's annoying to see... i thought it was shit my friends were promoting at first. It's kid of disguised as such.

I'm used to it from being on 360 for years. Was never a big deal to me. If I'm not going to power on and go right to disk then I expect this. Just keep it out of my games.

Portugeezer

I'm used to it from being on 360 for years. Was never a big deal to me. If I'm not going to power on and go right to disk then I expect this. Just keep it out of my games.

This. Was never a problem for me, it's more about the principle for some people "hey, I pay for XBL (now PS+), I shouldn't have ads!"

Magnus

I know I should be philosophically against ads while being a paid PS+ member.

But not only do I not care. I actually enjoy them. I like being advertised to.

I'm broken. ;(

What's New is basically a worthless mess. There's very little sense in showing every single time someone adds a friend or starts playing a game, and almost never does it show screenshots or game videos correctly. I never bother to look at it.

Oh, in the what's new section that I never go to. So since the system starts up highlighting the game in the disc tray (the way it's supposed to be) I never see it.

I always go into the Store on Tuesdays to see what is really new.

I can spend weeks never clicking on the "What' s New" button and never seeing those ads

Lots of drama in here

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm ok with this as long as it is under the "what's new" tab, and not in the dashboard itself.

Actually i would like it if the ad for the trailer would actually bring me to the trailer instead of the facebook page of the movie.
It does, clicking on the hobbit ad plays the trailer
I don't mind this, atleast its in an appropriate place

The abhorrence some people have for ads kind of surprises me. I mean, it's one thing for commercials to constantly interrupt your TV show, but I can't really manage to bend myself out of shape because I might happen to see an ad for a movie out of the corner of my eye in the 2 seconds it takes me tap over and start a game. Who gives a shit?

Hasn't this been the case for the What's New section since it was added to the PS3? It's a What's New section...it is going to tell you things that are new.

The good news is it is entirely optional part of the PS3/4 interface and you can actually avoid seeing anything there and still have 100% functionality of your system. The feature is literally to tell you what is new. Whether that be friend's activity, a new game release, or new movie release.

Valnen

Not an entry for a trailer to promote a recent theatrical movie release I absolutely don't care about.

That's like the whole point of the what's new tab, to show you content you may or may not be interested in. Seemed pretty obvious to me. Don't want "ads"? Don't go to the what's new tab. Simple!

level44

It was the same for PS3's What's New section.

What am I missing?
At least they are not shoved in your face like the xbones interface.

Chabbles

Weren't those adds on ps3?

Yep.

When you boot up your PS3 it lands on the "singstar" ad, and directly above that is the "store" tab (image below)

image.jpg

Scroll over 2 tabs to the right, you get the "Whats new" tab. (image below)

image.jpg

If anything, the PS4 has less ads.

jsip

Banned
The more terrifying and honestly perplexing situation here is that we now know there are users who visit the "What's New" section of the UI. What's next, pouring molten aluminum down ant hills? You humans disgust me.

level44

The more terrifying and honestly perplexing situation here is that we now know there are users who visit the "What's New" section of the UI. What's next, pouring molten aluminum down ant hills? You humans disgust me.

Wow, really?

The end result is pretty awesome though...

Angelcurio

While i find them to be fairly unobtrusive, i don't like the fact that they are quite bigger than the rest of the info you can see under the what's new tab. Everything has the same size, with the sole exception of the ads, which have double the size.

This doesn't bother me since I didn't even realize where the "What's New" section was until I accidentally went too far to the left of the UI.

They're already on the PS Store.

The What's New section has always advertised PS Store products even on the PS3 there is nothing "New" about it

Edit: On top of that you'd have to literarly go to the icon to see it

Personally don't mind the ads in the social section (whats new).. at least they aren't shoved down your throat at every opportunity (360)

ShapeGSX

BbXiJG4CUAE1Bre.jpg:large

It's already here...

However having the services prelisted under the TV/Services catergory of the XMB is no different then the dedicated Netflix buttons on TV remotes now days... They are there to say "Hey just to let you know we have apps for these 3rd party video services you maybe subscribed to"

Is it annoying that they are undeleteable? Sure, but they are A. not taking up any space on the system and B. shoving you toward using said services or putting them behind a paywall (ala XBL Gold)

"Hey just to let you know we have apps for these 3rd party video services you maybe subscribed to"

Yeah, and that's an ad. Not all of the video apps show up there. And that's probably because the other companies didn't pay to put them there.

This is akin to putting games in your library list that you don't actually own and aren't actually installed on your system.

Tsundere

Banned

Those make it a lot simpler for the non-tech-savvy people to access the more 'popular' apps. Bypassing the whole Playstation store experience and enabling them to load it directly from the PDM. Honestly, I downloaded all of them right away.

chadskin

That's like the whole point of the what's new tab, to show you content you may or may not be interested in. Seemed pretty obvious to me. Don't want "ads"? Don't go to the what's new tab. Simple!

I was expecting something more like the Activity feed from Steam. Which What's New basically is, plus the ads though.

The What's New section has always advertised PS Store products even on the PS3 there is nothing "New" about it

Edit: On top of that you'd have to literarly go to the icon to see it

Try downloading that Hobbit movie from the PS Store...

Did Sony change something with video shares or have I just not been paying attention?

Just uploaded to Facebook just now and it looks like it posted two different shares for the same video. One with no description and another one with a long ass description that is basically a link to the PS Store to buy the game...wtf?

Happens sometimes if you've liked the game and you've shared a vid of it.

Top Bottom