• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor has been cut from JL

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
61aHuRCwqfL._SY355_.jpg

You guys want some other juicy leaks?

Lex Luthor has been entirely cut.

Henry Allen has been entirely cut.

Deathstroke has been entirely cut.

Darkseid has been entirely cut.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

Wonder Woman is present when Steppenwolf steals the Amazons' Mother Box from Themyscira and vows revenge. This was included to set up Steppenwolf's new death scene.

Additional scene of Alfred picking up Batman in Amnesty Bay after Aquaman rejects him.

Additional scene of Flash and Cyborg discussing their backgrounds on their way to the Parademons' nest and developing a bond.

Minor dialogue additions throughout.

The Harvester subplot was entirely added in reshoots, restructuring the third act which was originally just an alien invasion.

Superman's subplot is altered. Rather than flee from Metropolis due to self-doubt, he does it to see Lois and Martha and let them know he's fine before immediately joining the battle.

Additional scene of Superman meeting Alfred before heading to Venezuela.

Additional scene of Superman saving Metropolis from the Harvester's effects and reassuring the people that everything will be fine.

Cyborg's subplot is altered. Rather than doubt himself and be reassured by Batman, Cyborg is the one who rallies the League using a football metaphor that later inspires the team's name.

Additional scene of Cyborg and Silas watching Cyborg's old college football games together.

Steppenwolf's demisse is changed. Originally he'd be beamed back to Apokolips by Cyborg and executed by Darkseid for faiIing to conquer Earth. Now Wonder Woman will punch him into the Harvester's beam and disintegrate him.

it's from 4chan, just like the article's source.

Cipherr

I hated him. So this is a good development for me. All it really says was that this shit was a mess because of the way BvS was handled initially. But we knew that already so, onward.

Ninjimbo

Whedon sucks if he cuts out one of the best parts of BvS. Maybe his scenes might not fit in JL, but I have trouble believing Lex wouldn't be anything short of awesome in a JL story. I would love to see his reaction to seeing all the metahumans he's been researching coming together.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's a damn shame the state some of these movies have left their universe in. The fact they have to shy away from using Lex Luthor, or their garbage version of the Joker...

If the tone of some of these movies weren't so wildly fucked, we could have had an amazing DC Universe on film...

DaveH

So he's a staunch supporter of the "3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead" principle?
We know he is, which is why Kahina is killed. That said, it doesn't need to be Lex's disposition, it might be Mercy's.

How were Lex's plans foiled in Superman The Movie and Superman Returns? In those cases, neither Eve Teschmacher nor Kitty Kowalski could stomach Lex's most heinous acts and set Superman free or loses the Kryptonian tech on purpose, respectively.

In BvS, Lex doesn't leave Mercy's conscience, doubts, or hesitation in play and accordingly he's actually able to kill Superman unlike his predecessors.

We know he is, which is why Kahina is killed. That said, it doesn't need to be Lex's disposition, it might be Mercy's.

How were Lex's plans foiled in Superman The Movie and Superman Returns? In those cases, neither Eve Teschmacher nor Kitty Kowalski could stomach Lex's most heinous acts and set Superman free or loses the Kryptonian tech on purpose, respectively.

In BvS, Lex doesn't leave Mercy's conscience, doubts, or hesitation in play and accordingly he's actually able to kill Superman unlike his predecessors.

So...Lex killed Mercy because his last two movie girlfriends foiled his plans and he didn't want his assistant to follow in their footsteps and get cold feet at the 11th hour?

Alienous

You guys want some other juicy leaks?

Lex Luthor has been entirely cut.

Henry Allen has been entirely cut.

Deathstroke has been entirely cut.

Darkseid has been entirely cut.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

Wonder Woman is present when Steppenwolf steals the Amazons' Mother Box from Themyscira and vows revenge. This was included to set up Steppenwolf's new death scene.

Additional scene of Alfred picking up Batman in Amnesty Bay after Aquaman rejects him.

Additional scene of Flash and Cyborg discussing their backgrounds on their way to the Parademons' nest and developing a bond.

Minor dialogue additions throughout.

The Harvester subplot was entirely added in reshoots, restructuring the third act which was originally just an alien invasion.

Superman's subplot is altered. Rather than flee from Metropolis due to self-doubt, he does it to see Lois and Martha and let them know he's fine before immediately joining the battle.

Additional scene of Superman meeting Alfred before heading to Venezuela.

Additional scene of Superman saving Metropolis from the Harvester's effects and reassuring the people that everything will be fine.

Cyborg's subplot is altered. Rather than doubt himself and be reassured by Batman, Cyborg is the one who rallies the League using a football metaphor that later inspires the team's name.

Additional scene of Cyborg and Silas watching Cyborg's old college football games together.

Steppenwolf's demisse is changed. Originally he'd be beamed back to Apokolips by Cyborg and executed by Darkseid for faiIing to conquer Earth. Now Wonder Woman will punch him into the Harvester's beam and disintegrate him.

it's from 4chan, just like the article's source.

I wouldn't be surprised if Justice League had patch notes like this.

Doesn't sound exciting enough to be fake.

I actually didn't think he was that bad. But that's because there were things much worse about that movie.
You can "repair" Lex by making him older and more intimidating and less annoying. You can't do that shit with the Joker.

DaveH

So...Lex killed Mercy because his last two movie girlfriends foiled his plans and he didn't want his assistant to follow in their footsteps and get cold feet at the 11th hour?
Don't be silly. Those are obviously illustrations but you can use them as guideposts for the filmmakers trying to avoid an old pattern for a new Lex.

In story, we have no evidence that Mercy has ever been personally involved in Lex killing anyone. If Lex leaves Mercy to live and if she was not a part of his bombing plan (which she couldn't be given that Lex kills her with it), what happens afterwards? She realizes she's the only one who can tie Lex to the bombing directly and she has to debate what to do with that information. Keep quiet? Give it to the authorities? Try and reassure Lex of her loyalty? This action differs from ordinary criminal enterprise in that she had a hands-on role in delivering the bomb to Keefe's home, even if unknowingly at the time.

It is completely sane for a Lex like this to remove those options and alternatives.

No one ever really stops to points how fucking awful the DCEU's villains are.

Ego > Piss Jar
Vulture > Hunka Hunka

Dat fanboy insecurity. Plenty of people have pointed out how shit the joker (and hell I'll say the entire suicide squad tbh aside from deadshot) and lex have been.

With that said I hope this is not true. I wanna see Eisenbergs lex again but more restrained (I hope)

kikiribu

No Jesse Eisenberg and Jared Leto anymore is a good thing. This news is orgasmic to my ears, eyes, and overall well-being

ad hominem, instead of the merit of the argument. got it.

What merit? Going by your post, we have just as much evidence that Mercy has personally been involved in Lex murdering people as we have that she hasn't.

Which is to say, none.

Hell, for all we know, body disposal could be a regular part of her work routine.

WinFonda

GOOD

that's a Lex Luthor that should have never been

writing deserves as much of the blame as Eisenberg

get your characters right DC

WinFonda

someone asked me awhile back to pick a Lex Luthor that "wasn't Cranston" because he's apparently too old or some nonsense

but it made me think, and my answer was

124002451_a_p.jpg

i really think it's an inspired choice

DaveH

What merit? Going by your post, we have just as much evidence that Mercy has personally been involved in Lex murdering people as we have that she hasn't.

Which is to say, none.

Hell, for all we know, body disposal could be a regular part of her work routine.

"Ok so why kill his assistant? That was just stupid and impractical."

"Here is a practical reason."
[FACT 1: Mercy only witness tying Lex to Keefe; FACT 2: Mercy wasn't aware of bombing plan, which how she can be killed by it; FACT 3: Lex doesn't want the public to blame him for the bombing, which is why he uses Keefe as a patsy.]

"That's a reach. I have no evidence to discount that reason, but I have a position that it's stupid and impractical so I'm going to insist that Mercy was a bagwoman to support my position. Nevermind the fact Knyazev clearly played that role. Nevermind that Mercy wasn't in on the bomb from the beginning. Nevermind Lex silencing other conspirators. Nope, Mercy's a cold blooded killer because I say so and it supports my position."

Eisenberg was an inspired choice too, if he actually played it like he did Zuckerberg in Social Network. A detached genius so high on his own kool aid.

the actor was never the problem here imo, it was the direction.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
someone asked me awhile back to pick a Lex Luthor that "wasn't Cranston" because he's apparently too old or some nonsense

but it made me think, and my answer was

124002451_a_p.jpg

i really think it's an inspired choice

This is what put us in this situation in the first place.
Fuck this inspired choice bullshit.
How about just look at the god damn comicbook/animated shows that are the reason you are making these goddamn movies in the first place, and just recreate those characters.

Directors want their own version of a character? Fine, do that shit in your own movie, the one where you can create your own entire world. Do not ruin the one someone more talented has dreamed up and millions have grown to love.

a916

Eisenberg was an inspired choice too, if he actually played it like he did Zuckerberg in Social Network. A detached genius so high on his own kool aid.

the actor was never the problem here imo, it was the direction.

A lot of people will fail to grasp this nuanced take.

I wholly agree with you.

MisterHero

I hope there's a Snyder cut of JL someday. The movie that comes out this year will probably be watered down as hell, if the rumors are true

I hope there's a Snyder cut of JL someday. The movie that comes out this year will probably be watered down as hell, if the rumors are true

hopefully it doesn't take as long as the Donner Cut of Superman 2 to come out.

I'm a big fan of the DC characters thanks to the animated series back in the day, but ever since Whedon signed on and all these rumors of the changes its done a number on deflating my hype here.

at least give me a cool batman and flash action scene. Snyder is damn good at superpowers and action choreography. but at this point I'm expecting everything in between the action scenes to be a tonally inconsistent mess.

WinFonda

This is what put us in this situation in the first place.
Fuck this inspired choice bullshit.
How about just look at the god damn comicbook/animated shows that are the reason you are making these goddamn movies in the first place, and just recreate those characters.

Directors want their own version of a character? Fine, do that shit in your own movie, the one where you can create your own entire world. Do not ruin the one someone more talented has dreamed up and millions have grown to love.
and Matt Damon is incapable of pulling off the Lex Luthor as portrayed in the comics because...?

Bleepey

Well he's a Petty Egotistical Sociopath with Daddy issues. Hackman Lex was this, Smallville Lex was this and Eisenburg Lex was this. I believe that people are taking their dislike of the Actor out on the Character when the Actor played Lex Perfectly. That is Who Lex Luthor is Not the Suave Business Man but the Petty Jealous Asshole who has to have it his way or No-way. Lex would rather destroy the World then have Superman be apart of it because that's how he rolls. That's why he's Superman's Arch-nemesis.

Eisenberg played a rich, socioipathtic, scheming, Machiavellian, puppetmaster that manipulates other superheroes, the press and governments for not only financial gain, but because he feels Superman is God made manifest he manipulates everyone to kill Superman .#NotMyLex

Pizza

I went into BvS expecting to hate Lex Jr but left LOVING him. He seemed smart as hell but lost his mind the minute superman showed up, I liked his whole deal and thought it was a neat forshadowing of the Injustice route they were going

It blows that they're dropping everything now. I think he could have been great if his arc was done

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
and Matt Damon is incapable of pulling off the Lex Luthor as portrayed in the comics because...?

Same reason Eisenberg can't.
Same reason Christopher Reeve pulled off the best superman.
When you look at an actor, the actor should match the character in looks as much as possible. This isn't being childish and disregarding an actor's skills. It's about bringing the character to life.
Might as well cast Paul Giamatti has Batman. He's a better actor than Matt Damon or most of these folks. He'd be able to bring Bruce Wayne's persona to life.

"Ok so why kill his assistant? That was just stupid and impractical."

"Here is a practical reason."
[FACT 1: Mercy only witness tying Lex to Keefe; FACT 2: Mercy wasn't aware of bombing plan, which how she can be killed by it; FACT 3: Lex doesn't want the public to blame him for the bombing, which is why he uses Keefe as a patsy.]

"That's a reach. I have no evidence to discount that reason, but I have a position that it's stupid and impractical so I'm going to insist that Mercy was a bagwoman to support my position. Nevermind the fact Knyazev clearly played that role. Nevermind that Mercy wasn't in on the bomb from the beginning. Nevermind Lex silencing other conspirators. Nope, Mercy's a cold blooded killer because I say so and it supports my position."

Dude.

Look, I get why a movie villain trying to create an elaborate smear campaign might want to cover their tracks by killing off co-conspirators. But we're never given a reason to think Lex wouldn't trust Mercy, his personal assistant, with all of this information, so why kill her?

For a corporate CEO, it seems impractical from a business perspective, at the very least. That's all.

Top Bottom