• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful World of Switch Joy Con Mods

Spotted on Reddit

fg.png

2.jpg

http://www.colorware.com/p-763-colorware-joy-con-classic.aspx
I'm definitely tempted.

TI82

Banned
Does colorware only sell the preassembled (very expensive for me unfortunately) or do they also sell shells? Or does anywhere else sell shells?

Also just saw these on an etsy page, wow these are insanely cool.

il_570xN.1216882610_j1fp.jpg

rrs

The colored buttons look great, although I'd most likely get mine on the neons.

Along with the subject of mods, I'm tempted to put some gel stuff on the plastic controller base handles so it doesn't hurt to use for a long time in splat

The colorware ones look amazing, but those prices are way too high for me. I'd like to add colored buttons to the grey joycons though.

Mobius 1

My second set has arrived:

1KPbPuMl.jpg

I had to balance out my nostalgia for the American SNES theme with my longstanding desire to actually have a Super Famicom.

Jgvk4JQl.jpg

Like the SNES set, these look better disconnected from the actual unit (unless I get that painted as well...), but they still strike a chord in me.

A5GcYYml.jpg

I'm done blowing cash (gained from selling my childhood videogame collection mind you) on Joy Cons for the summer, but eventually I'd like to get something that looks better on the Switch itself. That Gamecube set looks pretty sweet...

olnq7QOl.jpg

This is beautiful.

JP

L5AW7q8_d.jpg

This does things to me.

I also bought a New 3DS just for the colored buttons.
Can I just confirm which buttons you used for this? I have a UK version of this...
...am I correct in thinking that there was only one type of new 3DS with buttons of that colour and I can then but the joy con buttons in the new 3DS? I have the neon red/blue joy cons and I don't want to paint them, I've not been able to find any but does anybody here have a photo of these buttons on the neon red joy con?

HotHamBoy

AstHZBakQ8BcAkWND2UgBJ.jpg

Not sure if anyone is selling it yet though.

I will buy a Switch when I can easily obtain this.

Like, fucking how is the ability to play local MP with shitty little compromised controllers better than having a proper D-Pad for 2D games, especially virtual console and fighters?

Maximo

Current d-buttons aren't really bad at all, been playing a lot of Cave Story and Shovel Knight with them.

Yeeeeeah I mean sure they are not bad but as the other poster said Switch is a non purchase without a proper Dpad from Nintendo or a good Third party, with the ammount of games I play that require a good dpad its a priority for me.

Yeeeeeah I mean sure they are not bad but as the other poster said Switch is a non purchase without a proper Dpad from Nintendo or a good Third party, with the ammount of games I play that require a good dpad its a priority for me.
There's always the pro controller

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My second set has arrived:

1KPbPuMl.jpg

I had to balance out my nostalgia for the American SNES theme with my longstanding desire to actually have a Super Famicom.

Jgvk4JQl.jpg

Like the SNES set, these look better disconnected from the actual unit (unless I get that painted as well...), but they still strike a chord in me.

A5GcYYml.jpg

I'm done blowing cash (gained from selling my childhood videogame collection mind you) on Joy Cons for the summer, but eventually I'd like to get something that looks better on the Switch itself. That Gamecube set looks pretty sweet...

olnq7QOl.jpg
Where did you buy these?!?

I had ordered the ColorWare NES classic Joy-Cons a week ago and I was just checking the website again in anticipation. Guess what? They are sold out. I wonder how many they ended up making? I sent an email to find out for bragging rights!!

Looks like I snagged 390 of 400 on the ColorWare NES Classic Joy-Cons. That was close, I almost missed out.

Also, where are you guys ordering these colored buttons from again to mod onto the Joy-Cons?

EricB

Now this Chinese company is selling premade/painted joycon shells. No doubt a bit of work to assemble, but a cheaper option for those looking for some cool custom joycons.

Pic from Amazon.jp:

61VxACIwNqL._SL1500_.jpg

EricB

I had ordered the ColorWare NES classic Joy-Cons a week ago and I was just checking the website again in anticipation. Guess what? They are sold out. I wonder how many they ended up making? I sent an email to find out for bragging rights!!

XLTeam (see Etsy, would link but my previous link was removed) is now offering a version of these. They are a bit cheaper ($180) and they look quite similar:
il_570xN.1298840931_kq2g.jpg

Looks like I snagged 390 of 400 on the ColorWare NES Classic Joy-Cons. That was close, I almost missed out.

Also, where are you guys ordering these colored buttons from again to mod onto the Joy-Cons?

They are readily available on ebay. Just search for "New 3ds buttons." Bear in mind that it is not as simple as just putting the new buttons in; they need to be modified first.

Where did you buy these?!?

XLTeam's page on Etsy.

Red

Now this Chinese company is selling premade/painted joycon shells. No doubt a bit of work to assemble, but a cheaper option for those looking for some cool custom joycons.

Pic from Amazon.jp:

61VxACIwNqL._SL1500_.jpg
That's all I want. No superfluous graphics or lettering. Just colored buttons.

DarkJC

After buying my first pair of coloured joy-con (my system came with the grey ones) I have this inexplicable urge to collect all the colours.

Haven't stepped off the deep end into modded ones yet, but damn, this is the first time I've been hooked on controller colours.

Some of the mods here are amazing!

Mr_Moogle

I will buy a Switch when I can easily obtain this.

Like, fucking how is the ability to play local MP with shitty little compromised controllers better than having a proper D-Pad for 2D games, especially virtual console and fighters?

It's probably the one major gripe I have with the system. You'd think Nintendo, the company that invented the D-Pad would understand just how much better it is for 2D games than four individual buttons.

Then there's other times like the Gamecube where they remembered to include a D-pad but toally botched it's implementation.

Oh well at least the pro controller has a decent D-pad.

How great do the SNES coloured buttons look? I think I would rather have a grey Switch with coloured buttons than the Neon Switch.

Metfanant

they look well made, but wayyyyy more then i would ever spend on joycons...but different strokes for different folks...its cool if you're happy with the purchase

EricB

Any place I can get some nice looking green shells? Want to set my son's switch up with green joycons (its his favorite color)

Check the Amazon link in the post above this one. They have several colors of shells available, including green. Bear in mind that no one here has vouched for their quality (or ease of installation) yet.

Is there a way to paint those transparent chinese ones and make them look like atomic purple?

Also, that kickstarter looks super shady.

Chairhome

kgM0TyKl.jpg

I switched mine. Bought them from Amazon. Only right shown cause I had trouble getting one screw out of the left one. Eventually was able to switch it out after a friend had a better screwdriver.

The switch is relatively easy if you have a goof triwing screwdriver. I stripped one of the screws pretty badly with my $5 triwing screwdriver. My friend was able to get it out with an 'ifixit' screwdriver. After opening it its pretty easy.

The build quality of the replacement buttons and casing is good. One of the buttons was a little tight, but after pressing it about 100 times after install it worked well. The only other issue is the ZL button feels a little different, but I'm unsure if that was my fault during the install. But buy with confidence, I guess.

How easy would it be, for someone with no experience whatsoever, to remove their original joycon shells and replace them with the transparent ones.

Top Bottom