• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mass Effect 3 Kinect-compatible? [BioWare At Microsoft E3 Rehearsal]

Don't get the hate. There are some awesome possibilities.

In particular voice recognition for squad commands and scanning round planets with hand gestures. I'd definitely be up for both.

mujun

Monty Mole said:

In particular voice recognition for squad commands and scanning round planets with hand gestures. I'd definitely be up for both.

Yeah, it'd be great for the mini games. I probably wouldn't bother as I have to set mine up. I also don't see how it would detract from the experience of people who don't play it with Kinect.

elfinke

Chinner said:
is it compatible with a story by any chance???

I lol'd.

Not sure what to make of this. The possibilities of course, are wonderful. The recent track record of Bioware however...

As long as I don't have to crouch to er, crouch, I'm ok with this.

Don

Yoshichan said:
He's the dude that represents Mass Effect. It's an advertisement tool, they confirmed that in an interview.

soundscream said:
Because the vast majority use male Shepard and like it or not he is the face of the franchise.

Yea, I guess, but he's still just a default character design in a game that uses character creator for the main character.

I just remembered the Mass Effect 2 Collectors Edition with the N7 emblem which looked far better than the regular covers:

BfLKy.jpg

Samara

I've ask my friends what the hell is kinect. Ive never seen one or see how it works...yes I live under a rock bla bla. If its anything like Heavy Rain, I dont want it.

Amir0x said:
Thank god I have an insane PC

Even if you didn't are you afraid Microsoft would send a SWAT team crashing into your home and force you to play with a kinect sensor?

As long as its a add on feature I dont see why people would be freaking out.

alphaNoid

Banned
soundscream said:
Even if you didn't are you afraid Microsoft would send a SWAT team crashing into your home and force you to play with a kinect sensor?

Because they want to freak out.. if the thread says Kinect, they come.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd be surprised if this had voice command something resembling EndWar. Other than that, not really looking forward to the motion thingy.

Prine

Banned
Navigating star maps with your hands would incredible and certainly add to the games sense of immersion. I can just imagine spinning planets with my fingers.

DO IT BIOWARE!

Struct09

Samara said:
I've ask my friends what the hell is kinect. Ive never seen one or see how it works...yes I live under a rock bla bla. If its anything like Heavy Rain, I dont want it.

Probably not for you then, Kinect and Heavy Rain are basically the same thing

Vire

Samara said:

My grandmother knows about it. Are you trolling?

Amir0x

Banned
soundscream said:

No of course not. I just don't want to spend one cent supporting any product that is even tangentially related to Kinect. I did play Mass Effect 1 and 2 on 360. I even have my character save on the 360. But I'm going to play them on PC and start over to avoid it. The device is that regressive. Gotta vote with your dollar, after all.

bananas

Banned
Amir0x said:
No of course not. I just don't want to spend one cent supporting any product that is even tangentially related to Kinect. I did play Mass Effect 1 and 2 on 360. I even have my character save on the 360. But I'm going to play them on PC and start over to avoid it. The device is that regressive. Gotta vote with your dollar, after all.
8pMtm.gif

boundedseven said:
Moving your hands slowly over nothing, bending the nothing over nothing and start hipthrusting.

And then.... All over your floor!

Fixed that for you.

szaromir

Banned
Amir0x said:
This would be understandable if Mass Effect wasn't already so streamlined. The shooting mechanics are extremely basic in ME2 and there's nothing outside them. The rage is unjustified.

Amir0x

Banned
szaromir said:
This would be understandable if Mass Effect wasn't already so streamlined.
The shooting mechanics are extremely basic in ME2 and there's nothing outside them.

However basic or not basic the game is has absolutely zero to do with what I said.

szaromir said:
The rage is unjustified.

Do you see rage? No. You just see me not wanting to spend even a penny buying any product with the word "Kinect" on it. Kinect is one of the worst gaming devices ever conceived so the only logical thing is to vote with your dollar.

Monty Mole said:

I don't really get the hate when this is something optional, not a requirement

Arnie

Amir0x said:
By the time this game comes out I'll likely have a gaming PC built for BF3 so I'll probably be joining you in the switch after playing the first two games on 360. I would've carried on my character but when I switched to my slim my save data was lost, shame really.

Don't know why everyone keeps saying it'll just be minigames though, Bioware have specifically said they wouldn't just use Kinect for minigames and that they'd only introduce it for beneficial tasks. Oh well, I guess people just like being ignorant.

Amir0x

Banned
Arnie said:
By the time this game comes out I'll likely have a gaming PC built for BF3 so I'll probably be joining you in the switch after playing the first two games on 360. I would've carried on my character but when I switched to my slim my save data was lost, shame really.

Don't know why everyone keeps saying it'll just be minigames though, Bioware have specifically said they wouldn't just use Kinect for minigames and that they'd only introduce it for beneficial tasks. Oh well, I guess people just like being ignorant.

Well I think no matter what it'll be optional. They're not going to force anyone to use Kinect. So whether it's mini-games are full on rail control, it'll be optional at least for those who sadly only have a 360.

TUROK

Well, I have a Kinect that's gathering dust, so I welcome this. Who knows, maybe it'll be cool.

Arnie

Amir0x said:
Well I think no matter what it'll be optional. They're not going to force anyone to use Kinect. So whether it's mini-games are full on rail control, it'll be optional at least for those who sadly only have a 360.
Aye, whatever task it does perform it'll definitely be optional, I'm just making the point that they've said it won't just be mini games like 'dancing shephard'.

While I understand your dislike for it, I do think there would be a certain charm to shaking your head during a conversation to cut a person off. Whilst the idea of a whole game based around Kinect isn't one that particularly excites me, these little touches are things I can think of that would improve the experience in my opinion.

Doesn't matter what they use it for though because I simply cannot use Kinect because of space, although it doesn't look exactly like it's for me anyway judging on the software currently out for it.

Amir0x said:

I can feel the regression already.

Seriously, man, your stance might've had some merit initially, but now you're really turning it into a farce. I'd like to think you're better than that.

I finished ME on PC and I also have the PC version of ME2, although I haven't touched it yet. I'll play ME3 there as well, to finish the story with my Renegade character, but I'll also start a Paragon playthrough of the whole trilogy on Xbox 360. That was always my plan and potential Kinect support just sweetens the deal. Good times all around.

Amir0x

Banned
Arnie said:
Aye, whatever task it does perform it'll definitely be optional, I'm just making the point that they've said it won't just be mini games like 'dancing shephard'.

While I understand your dislike for it, I do think there would be a certain charm to shaking your head during a conversation to cut a person off. Whilst the idea of a whole game based around Kinect isn't one that particularly excites me, these little touches are things I can think of that would improve the experience in my opinion.

Doesn't matter what they use it for though because I simply cannot use Kinect because of space, although it doesn't look exactly like it's for me anyway judging on the software currently out for it.

pressing a button is faster, more efficient and more reliable. So no I don't think your example would improve anything as far as I'm concerned. That's just more gimmickry.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Seriously, man, your stance might've had some merit initially, but now you're really turning it into a farce. I'd like to think you're better than that.

omg Kinect warrior Citadel thinks my stance is a farce i think I have to go lol in the corner :(

If InaudibleWhispa and Kafel comes in and tells me it's a farce I'm in REAL trouble with the Kinect crowd!

Linkified

Amir0x, I don't if this thread is the right place per se. If on the 6th it was announced that the Playstation version also had Move support would you be equally disappointed or is this more of a Kinect taking time/effort/money resources away from the game developers to add useless feature sets into games?

Amir0x

Banned
Linkified said:
Amir0x, I don't if this thread is the right place per se. If on the 6th it was announced that the Playstation version also had Move support would you be equally disappointed or is this more of a Kinect taking time/effort/money resources away from the game developers to add useless feature sets into games?

I never played the PS version, but there is not equivalence here. MOVE is far more capable for hardcore games and far more responsive for hardcore games than Kinect will ever be (as is Wiimote). If it was FORCED I'd be mad, but for something like Move I'd just ignore it (if I ever did play a multiplatform game on PS3 other than L.A. Noire and FFXIII, which is just LOL in of itself).

szaromir

Banned
Amir0x said:
However basic or not basic the game is has absolutely zero to do with what I said.

Do you see rage? No. You just see me not wanting to spend even a penny buying any product with the word "Kinect" on it. Kinect is one of the worst gaming devices ever conceived so the only logical thing is to vote with your dollar.
Your Kinect bashing has some merit, but overall strongly reminds me of DrinkyCrow's hatred toward Nintendo hardware - completely misses the point.
I am seriously baffled that you oppose Kinect in the age when script galleries and semi-automated controls (like automated platforming in Uncharted) are becoming so popular in AAA games anyway. Kinect won't make these games any worse than they already are.

TheOddOne

Amir0x said:
I never played the PS version, but there is not equivalence here. MOVE is far more capable for hardcore games and far more responsive for hardcore games than Kinect will ever be (as is Wiimote). If it was FORCED I'd be mad, but for something like Move I'd just ignore it (if I ever did play a multiplatform game on PS3 other than L.A. Noire and FFXIII, which is just LOL in of itself).
Well by your logic, you could just avoid the Kinect integration. Its not like its forcing you to use it.

TUROK

TheOddOne said:
Well by your logic, you could just avoid the Kinect integration. Its not like its forcing you to use it.
No, but paying for something that has the word "Kinect" in it, even just the letter K, will bring an end to hardcore gaming as we know it. You know, kind of like how the Wii did a few years back.

Given the extensive in-game stat-keeping Bioware did for ME2, it's more than likely they can tell if you are playing with Kinect or not. "Boycotting" Kinect-optional games is utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but Amirox is somehow not alone on this one; I saw someone express the same sentiment in the MS E3 thread. It's up to MS and other devs to prove that these optional modes and control schemes are actually useful and fun, no amount of hope/hate months before these games launch is going to change that. Thus far we have one game (CoE) where hands-on impressions seem to agree that it is genuinely, "better with Kinect", as an owner I can only hope there are more to follow.

Amir0x

Banned
TheOddOne said:

I am. By buying Mass Effect 3 on PC.

szaromir said:
Your Kinect bashing has some merit, but overall strongly reminds me of DrinkyCrow's hatred toward Nintendo hardware - completely misses the point.

What is the point? I'm always amused when people say this. The point of any control is to be the most precise/accurate, efficient and reliable as can be. There's no other ideal that is even worth visiting for a millisecond.

Drinky Crow likes to stir water, and people looove to claim I'm doing the same, but my opinions are genuine. I say them because I care about the state of the industry and am genuinely concerned about what such a gigantic step back in controls getting popular means for gaming. In my view, it only bodes ill for the quality of future titles.

szaromir said:
I am seriously baffled that you oppose Kinect in the age when script galleries and semi-automated controls (like automated platforming in Uncharted) are becoming so popular in AAA games anyway. Kinect won't make these games any worse than they already are.

As jett and some others can tell you, I am one of the people who went into Uncharted 1 and 2 topics and shit on the automated platforming. I am extremely consistent. But those games do other things well, including controlling pretty damn well, and it's only possible with a controller. Still, overall I've never thought they were classic games. I've had massive problems with both titles and said so.

But, I do heavily disagree with your final comment. I do think Kinect would make these games infinitely worse.

Try that type of game on Kinect and it'd either have some gimmickry voice implementation or laggy on rail gameplay.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Paracelsus said:
What if you can have full-body tracking with True Kinect (PC)?
Let's have lunch!

And people, Amir0x has rationality in his reasoning. I know some are so enamored and some just can't see why Kinect does not make most games better but everyone is entitled to their opinion. As he said, vote with your dollars. More people will probably buy it on 360 but not for the Kinect gimmick. Userbase speaks too.

TheOddOne

Amir0x said:
I am. By buying Mass Effect 3 on PC.
I'm not trying to sell you on buying it on the 360, but your logic kind of baffles me. Imagine the PC version getting the Kinect features, will you then boycott that version too? -- I doubt you will, because you know you'll play the core game fine without those integrations. Then whats the difference between boycotting the 360 and the PC version then? Seems kind of petty to not play a version, that gives you the option to you use, just because its got Kinect features.

Imagine somebody boycotting Bayonetta just for having a casual mode, I would shake my head and tell them thats a petty reason not to play a game. The core game is still there and you can always choose to avoid the casual mode. I'm not knocking your opinion Amir0x, you've always had strong opinions and been consistant. We might not always agree, but atleast I can have a cival discussion with you.

Top Bottom