• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Durante

Did you end up backing/ordering it?
Two of my colleagues will get it so the thirst for higher definition is real. I already spent too much money on tech this year so I will wait a bit.
I'm currently sitting on an early bird 5k (HMD-only of course).

It's "cheap" enough that I won't feel too bad shelling out again if something better comes around late 2018 or early 2019.
... that said, with all the positive buzz about the public demonstrations of the PIMAX lately I'm a bit tempted to upgrade to the 8k. We'll see if I can hold out until the end of the KS :p

I really appreciate that at least one company is just building whatever is technically possible while letting others worry about the elusive mass market.

derFeef

Yeah it's really tempting. I am not using my Vive a lot - the SDE and low fov is really bothering me more and more. The Deluxe Audio Strap at least brought some comfort and ease of use.

Mascot

Yeah it's really tempting. I am not using my Vive a lot - the SDE and low fov is really bothering me more and more. The Deluxe Audio Strap at least brought some comfort and ease of use.

You're into sim racing though, aren't you? It's all I've ever used my Rift for and it's like digital crack for me. I need my daily fix and can't even imagine ever going back to 2D for sim racing.

derFeef

You're into sim racing though, aren't you? It's all I've ever used my Rift for and it's like digital crack for me. I need my daily fix and can't even imagine ever going back to 2D for sim racing.

I tried the first Pcars and my VR experience with it was pretty awful, ranging from getting nauseaous because of performance problems, to feeling like a giant when standing still, to feeling like a dwarf while driving.

Mascot

I tried the first Pcars and my VR experience with it was pretty awful, ranging from getting nauseaous because of performance problems, to feeling like a giant when standing still, to feeling like a dwarf while driving.

Weird! I don't understand those scaling issues you had but pCARS wasn't very well optimised, apparently. pCARS 2 is supposed to be a lot better (I had ~3hrs in it and it seemed great before refunding due to other non-VR bugs) but I generally play Assetto Corsa in VR now. It's pretty undemanding and runs great, although the VR aspect isn't fully integrated (eg headset off for menus). I love it out on the track though. It's pretty incredible racing in VR - I feel real presence, scale, and immersion. It put me as close as is virtually possible to being in a real performance car on a real track against real opponents. 2D feels like a game by comparison, VR feels like really being there. Give it a go if you have the chance - VR and sim racing mesh perfectly together, especially if you have a cockpit, wheel & pedals.

The second day I had a rift I played the free version of project cars and it made me feel really sick. Performance was terrible and I kept skidding out. I now play Dirt Rally without any issues but it did take me a couple of weeks playing other VR games to get to that point.

wamberz1

======
Played Insanity VR today (free on steam) and it was better than I what I expected although it was really short.

You're exploring the mind of a "patient" which is dream/nightmare like made up of the patients house floating in space. What I found really cool was the demonic enemies, normally they are invisible with a spotlight like aura that moves about the environment to indicate they are nearby. Aslong as you don't make any noise they won't be a threat. If you make a sound like dropping or walking into something, several closed eyes floating above you will begin to open and if they open completely the demon/ghosts come and kill you. If you stay quiet for a bit the eyes will close so its a nice way to incorporate a stealth meter into the game.

The worst aspect are the controls. There's no way to turn around using the controller so expect your wires to be twisted by the end of it. However, the locomotion system is an odd choice. You hold down the trackpad (or grab button on oculus) and then move your arms back and forth (as if you are walking) to travel forward. The speed changes based on the speed/distance your arms move. Its an interesting way to move but its clunky.

It probably lasts about 30 minutes, although expect to die a couple of times just getting used to the way stealth/enemies work (game over takes you back to the start of the game).

Sounds interesting and hell it's free, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

But those reviews talking vaguely about the ending are a bit... ominous. My curiosity is peaked.

Lakuza

Sounds interesting and hell it's free, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

But those reviews talking vaguely about the ending are a bit... ominous. My curiosity is peaked.

Yeah the ending is really disturbing so people who can't handle horror and gore in general should avoid this.

SomTervo

Yeah what the hell kind of developer is this?

"We tried running our game on both dev kits but it crashed on both so I guess we can't be on Playstation"

There's something else going on there. Their entire game crashing due to lack of resources in open world settings sounds like poor optimization at best, or poor coding at worst, more than the resources. There's a lot of VR PC rigs out there, which aren't significantly more powerful than something like the PS4 Pro.

The crashing is worrying but honestly even a PS4 Pro is such a different beast to a VR-ready PC. It's not an easy thing to do, it shouldn't be underestimated.

jack....

The Gallery: Episode 2 is out on Steam now. I just got my Kickstarter backer key. Pretty excited for this. The first episode is still one of the best VR experiences I've had.

Reallink

It's "cheap" enough that I won't feel too bad shelling out again if something better comes around late 2018 or early 2019.
... that said, with all the positive buzz about the public demonstrations of the PIMAX lately I'm a bit tempted to upgrade to the 8k. We'll see if I can hold out until the end of the KS :p

I really appreciate that at least one company is just building whatever is technically possible while letting others worry about the elusive mass market.

My hang up is I do not trust this company (particularly in an effectively zero oversight Kickstarter) to ship anything approaching retail quality hardware. While they will most likely ship you something that "works", my suspicion is the display calibrations will be very poor (compared to Vive/Oculus) among other common QC issues (IPD/Strap mechanisms failing, dead pixels, dust on the screen, etc...). Personal conjecture, I expect LG has upgraded their HMD to dual 14XX x 14XX (maybe 16XX) and will ship with Knuckles and Lighthouse 2.0 within the first half of next year.

Tain

My thanks to everyone that submitted videos of your game for Raster Stadium in 2MD! They worked out beautifully.
Here's a couple shots, but obviously it's much more impressive in motion.

From the top,
There Came an Echo
Horizon Vanguard
Honey Rose

Looking great!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
They still planning 5 or 6 EPs? I guess they intend to sell a $100+ bundle when/if it's complete. Good luck.

5 or 6 episodes? Damn, I thought it was only three.

This is one of the best kickstarters I've invested in. I think I put $20 in, and I get every episode.

TheRed

Weird! I don't understand those scaling issues you had but pCARS wasn't very well optimised, apparently. pCARS 2 is supposed to be a lot better (I had ~3hrs in it and it seemed great before refunding due to other non-VR bugs) but I generally play Assetto Corsa in VR now. It's pretty undemanding and runs great, although the VR aspect isn't fully integrated (eg headset off for menus). I love it out on the track though. It's pretty incredible racing in VR - I feel real presence, scale, and immersion. It put me as close as is virtually possible to being in a real performance car on a real track against real opponents. 2D feels like a game by comparison, VR feels like really being there. Give it a go if you have the chance - VR and sim racing mesh perfectly together, especially if you have a cockpit, wheel & pedals.
I agree Assetto Corsa has been my favorite VR thing to play and I play it a lot. It runs very well and with supersampling can look very nice and clear in the headset. I got Project Cars 2 and am also loving but it is still a decent amount more demanding to run smooth than AC. Very good experience though and the menus all work in VR. Much much better than PC1 which was horrible to me in VR.

Both are awesome purchases. I love VR sim racing.

There's something else going on there. Their entire game crashing due to lack of resources in open world settings sounds like poor optimization at best, or poor coding at worst, more than the resources. There's a lot of VR PC rigs out there, which aren't significantly more powerful than something like the PS4 Pro.

Hello! To clarify, the issue with the release of our game on PSVR is 100% due to optimization. We spent about 1 year developing and optimizing the game for HTC Vive & Oculus Rift, and the game was in development before PSVR was released to the public so from the start we wanted to offer the highest possible quality and gameplay at the time.

Optimization for PSVR has its own dedicated timeline in our studio, and may or may not be polished by the time the PC version of the game is ready. But we are not neglecting the port due to hardware issues :)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hello! To clarify, the issue with the release of our game on PSVR is 100% due to optimization. We spent about 1 year developing and optimizing the game for HTC Vive & Oculus Rift, and the game was in development before PSVR was released to the public so from the start we wanted to offer the highest possible quality and gameplay at the time.

Optimization for PSVR has its own dedicated timeline in our studio, and may or may not be polished by the time the PC version of the game is ready. But we are not neglecting the port due to hardware issues :)

So its still doable on PSVR but will require a lengthy optimization period i guess

ArtHands

i think they posted a facebook video showing project cars 2 on the headset. Looks amazing through the lens

Durante

My hang up is I do not trust this company (particularly in an effectively zero oversight Kickstarter) to ship anything approaching retail quality hardware. While they will most likely ship you something that "works", my suspicion is the display calibrations will be very poor (compared to Vive/Oculus) among other common QC issues (IPD/Strap mechanisms failing, dead pixels, dust on the screen, etc...). Personal conjecture, I expect LG has upgraded their HMD to dual 14XX x 14XX (maybe 16XX) and will ship with Knuckles and Lighthouse 2.0 within the first half of next year.
Personally, I don't need "retail quality hardware", I just need something that works.

And none of the bigger players seem all that interested in delivering an enthusiast-level HMD soon.

i think they posted a facebook video showing project cars 2 on the headset. Looks amazing through the lens
Yeah, I posted that in the PIMAX thread.

Personally, I don't need "retail quality hardware", I just need something that works.

And none of the bigger players seem all that interested in delivering an enthusiast-level HMD soon.

Yeah, I posted that in the PIMAX thread.

I was on the verge of picking it up, based on their previous products, which while severely lacking in many areas, had at least "good enough" quality, I'm not all that concerned. However without a lighthouse system, it just makes more sense for me to wait at this point. I enjoy my Oculus, but a few things like the FOV, resolution, god rays, somewhat finicky tracking/excessive hardware are enough to make me step up. Especially the FOV part as my glasses don't fit, even with a specially designed interface, so the FOV for me is even lower than the normal 110°. Also the knuckle controllers are an absolute must have for me. I genuinely think the rift controllers are significantly better than the Vive controllers currently, so that's a pretty big determining factor for me too.

Really excited to hear your impressions once it arrives though, it's a great option to have on the table going forward.

Lakuza

My thanks to everyone that submitted videos of your game for Raster Stadium in 2MD! They worked out beautifully.
Here’s a couple shots, but obviously it’s much more impressive in motion.

From the top,
There Came an Echo
Horizon Vanguard
Honey Rose

love the idea of showing other games on there :D

Yeah that's odd. No one should expect things to run smoothly out of the box.

The person you are quoting fabricated his quote, it is not a true quote. Be careful as this is how words get twisted.

We knew our game wouldn't work on the devkits. We didn't give up on Playstation when it did not work, we on-boarded an entire team dedicated to optimizing our game for it instead. And we are hard at work as we speak doing just that :)

Lakuza

Not sure if that has been posted yet but Marvel powers united will be getting a demo next month :)

Jason Rubin interview with gamespot said:
What do you have to say to our GameSpot readers who run the gamut from somewhat interested in VR to not interested in it at all?

Two different answers. If you're interested, go play a demo somewhere. We're about to launch a demo in November for Marvel Powers United.

source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-jason-rubin-remains-optimistic-about-vr-and/1100-6454152/

ArtHands

Yeah that’s odd. No one should expect things to run smoothly out of the box.

The dev didn’t say they can’t be on Playstation VR or how they expected the game to run smoothly out of the box. More like Seeking Dawn is too huge for the PSVR to be handled without ease so they need lots of optimization to put it on PSVR

Not sure if that has been posted yet but Marvel powers united will be getting a demo next month :)

source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-jason-rubin-remains-optimistic-about-vr-and/1100-6454152/

Great to hear that. Hopefully the game plays well. The roster is rather weak without much big names. No spider-man, captain america etc

I'm getting slowly hyped for this.

Great to hear that. Hopefully the game plays well. The roster is rather weak without much big names. No spider-man, captain america etc

Pretty sure they're not done announcing characters. I'd be surprised if it doesn't have both of them + Iron Man by the time they're done.

Today is the last chance to get Echo Arena for free. Tomorrow they start charging for it. It is a zero gravity online multiplayer sports game where you throw frisbees and punch people in the head. I have played 10 or so games and it is very good. Get it now whilst it is free even if you do not plan on playing it immediately.

It definitely makes a lot more sense given the context, not exactly that simple to drop a bunch of code into a different/modified API. Thanks for the response.

wamberz1

Tried artificial locomotion instead of teleportation in Arizona sunshine for the first time yesterday. I had heard about it causing nausea but thought "Naw man, I'm tough, I can take it."

They weren't kidding. I had to lay down after about 20 minutes.

Lakuza

Tried artificial locomotion instead of teleportation in Arizona sunshine for the first time yesterday. I had heard about it causing nausea but thought "Naw man, I'm tough, I can take it."

They weren't kidding. I had to lay down after about 20 minutes.

its something you might be able to get used to over time in that case (vr legs) since you were able to play it for 20 mins, especially if its your first time using normal locomotion. If it gives you the option for it, it might help enabling snap turning instead of smooth rotation, which can cause some to feel uncomfortable even if they can handle normal locomotion.

My first experience with locomotion was with minecraft on gear vr which I could play for only about 20 mins at a time before my stomach felt a little weird, but since then I can play normal locomotion just fine (although I choose snap turning if given the option since with room scale I dont need smooth rotation.

Yeah locomotion-caused nausea is no joke, and it's not a "power through it" kind of thing. I've used VR regularly since day 1 and I'm barely any more tolerant of it. I'm envious of those that aren't affected by it.

derFeef

Yeah locomotion-caused nausea is no joke, and it's not a "power through it" kind of thing. I've used VR regularly since day 1 and I'm barely any more tolerant of it. I'm envious of those that aren't affected by it.

Yep. Still not used to it - it knocks me out for at least an hour, usually two.

Lakuza

"vr legs" won't apply to everyone, remember seeing some research on reddit where it said something like a certain percent of people who can't handle locomotion at first , will remain that way unfortunately.
But for the other percent it is a thing.

But i agree that you shouldnt power through it. Take a break every time you feel ill and resume later on or the next day until you start to feel the symptons again. rinse and repeat and sessions will get longer if vr legs work on you.

I have had some success with ginger chews, although I think they taste awful. It's weird though, they prevent the worst of the symptoms (the feeling that I'm going to vomit + the world is spinning), but I still get some innocuous symptoms like a sweaty upper lip.

"vr legs" won't apply to everyone, remember seeing some research on reddit where it said something like a certain percent of people who can't handle locomotion at first , will remain that way unfortunately.
But for the other percent it is a thing.

I adapt to it, but when I played Talos as the first game with that kind of movement I've played in a few months I was back to square 1 almost. Seems like it needs to be continually reinforced for me.

Hey VR friends, what is the preferred cover for Oculus Rift? Not a fan of the foam one it comes with and I thought I remember reading that one of them sort of helps with GodRay reduction.

wamberz1

I'll think I'll able to develop VR legs if I try - I don't get motion sickness easily, like from spinning or vehicles, so this was quite a surprise. Will give ginger chews a shot since I already own some.

I'm watching some videos/reading some articles now about all the different types of locomotion there are and it's fascinating. Now I wanna give RIPmotion a try.

I had never experienced motion sickness in my life until VR, which hit me like a freight train. It can literally incapacitate me if I do a VR roller coaster.

Top Bottom