• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

I hope it gets a 4.5. I want the game to be good, but the game comes across as a bloated, focus tested, big budget video game that is not Resident Evil in practice, but only by name.

Beth Cyra

Depends on how you feel. Everything has been spoiled though.

Already? Damn.

I want to know what the extra outfits are, I really hope Chris got something better then the Zebra shit.

Sadly unmarked spoilers means I'm waiting haha. Though I hate spoiler threads where you have to mark so I certainly prefer this way regardless.

xtianmarq

How awful would it be to go into the spoiler thread

Unless you want pretty major spoilers, I'd stay out of there. I spoiled myself on some things I'd rather not know a few months ago by visiting that thread but I haven't been in there recently....I'm sure things are massively spoiled by now.

Also, BE VERY WARY of visiting YouTube unless you want spoiled. Major things like story elements, etc are starting to pop up in thumbnails and titles; Capcom was blocking most of these vids but some are still making it through.

Hey frankman... sorry that was so weird. I don't think it's your mic cause I heard you at first. And I tested mine in the XMB and it seemed fine.

Must have been a server issue or whatever, because the lag during that was horrendous... everything was warping around and guys were falling over like 4 - 5 seconds after I shot them. Just really weird unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm going to take the PS3 back to NY with me and use my normal PS3 Bluetooth mic. I'm usually much more methodical though, It was frustrating to muddle through the controls semi-blindly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
8 am pacific on Monday. The 360 version is one game disc, with a separate disc with additional languages.

That is certainly an opinion that a person could have.
That don't even make sense, what do you do install the desired language or something?

Bladenic

A 4.5? Hmmm.

Also that checkpoint ammo thing sounds pretty harsh punishment for dying. Why would they do that? RE4 and 5 didn't. Hell, I just finished the original Ratchet and Clank game in the Collection and that game did do that, and boy was it annoying as heck, especially for the final boss.

Bladenic

NZfh0.jpg

iYG0N.jpg

NQvBj.jpg

Are any of those avatars available?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I guess I just kinda like being punished for dying lol

Also, if the final game has as much ammo as the demo, it really won't be missed, there was A LOT of ammo.

What if the checkpoint is at a boss and there's no way to acquire ammo?

Another tweet by VanOrd suggests that is a possibility.

Lucent

I noticed Amazon is now offering $10 credit with ordering the game. I think I'm just gonna go this route because Best Buy has kind of screwed me over with the Borderlands 2 DLC/bonuses and I'm gonna have to do something to get those from them so I'm just gonna order RE6 from Amazon and have it delivered to me. Should be here shortly after I get home from school. Glad I only have two classes that day.

meta4

To illustrate what I didn't like about the demo with my first playuthrough and why I did a complete 180 with another try several days after I made two videos (sorry for the not so good quality) showing how you can play the game in two clearly different ways.

How I didn't like it :

http://youtu.be/n7pwHJzw4zw

How it feels like Resident Evil again :

http://youtu.be/T6TJGwk-_sw

I think you are trying too hard to convince yourself that it is not bad.

So I popped in RE5 last night after not playing it for years.

My mind was blown at how much better it looks than RE6. Everything is just so much more crisp and clear.

RE6 is an ugly blurred mess in comparison.

~Kinggi~

Banned

My mind was blown at how much better it looks than RE6. Everything is just so much more crisp and clear.

It seems as if they updated the MT engine to be able to better handle different lighting scenarios with some complex transparencies, but have sacrificed overall visual fidelity, at least on aging consoles. Re 5 definitely has a sharper, and cleaner picture with a smoother experience and nicer textures.

I think you are trying too hard to convince yourself that it is not bad.

Why would I do that ?
When playing like in the first video I didn't enjoy the game but while playing like in the second, I enjoyed it a lot. I don't care if the game is considered bad or not, If it entertains me a lot like RER and RE5 have done, I would love it the same.

A lot of people said that RE5 was bad, same thing with RER. While they are not exempt of major defaults, the core gameplay is still really enjoyable and you only can find it with this series. At first, I thought capcom dissed completely this trademark but it still there. You just not forced to play like that anymore because they removed the run button and added a free camera.

The ammo thing is bullshit, the guy whose been streaming was playing on pro and multiple times would 'restart' to gain ammo again. Am pretty sure thats what he was doing anyway.

Based on some of the bullshit I've seen in the stream I could easily see a reviewer giving it a 4.5

especially if they have a low tolerance for *minor boss related spoiler*
really tedious boss fights that wear out their welcome

Agree, from what I've seen Chris does have a single chapter that gets a 9...the rest is pretty much a 3. Whilst the rest of the game just looks tedious; but I haven't seen enough. There is some truly AWFUL stuff though and the gameplay (for me) seems kind of broken.

The level design is truly terrible, there has been no thought into updating the level design to take into account new game mechanics. Instead its Resident Evil in automatic

Meanwhile the visuals are really quite poor; faces are good but there were some very very low textures in places (RE4 level (in places)) and some bad examples of parts of characters sticking through walls and stuff.

Some might enjoy it, others will hate it I suspect. Be interesting to see how views stack up.

Gbraga

It seems as if they updated the MT engine to be able to better handle different lighting scenarios with some complex transparencies, but have sacrificed overall visual fidelity, at least on aging consoles. Re 5 definitely has a sharper, and cleaner picture with a smoother experience and nicer textures.

Agreed, RE6 on PC will most likely look fantastic since it will have the MT Framework updates but without having to sacrifice the overall IQ.

AlexBasch

Eh. In RE5 I always had a big overload of ammo, even carrying a little amount of weapons I always gathered shitloads of ammo, I can understand people disliking the checkpoint thing, but it's not like you ran out of bullets in RE5 either. :/

The ammo thing is bullshit, the guy whose been streaming was playing on pro and multiple times would 'restart' to gain ammo again. Am pretty sure thats what he was doing anyway.
If people want to play the game in that, awful way, more power to them. I plan on doing it legit at least.

I'm assuming if you actually run out of ammo, you're doing something wrong.
I plan on doing melee stuff rather than using ammo at all. :p

Teknoman

I think turning off the crosshairs cripples the shooting mechanics, but people seem to enjoy that as well.

And two disks on 360 apparently.

Laser sight all day, every day :D Doesnt really hurt the shooting mechanics since I can still pull off headshots just fine. Plus RE with an actual crosshair looks strange imo.

It probably takes a 3 point hit for not being what the reviewer thinks a Resident Evil game should be.

Seems fair.

Or maybe because it's simply not a well made game? RE5 was not what a RE game should have been and it still reviewed well.

RE6 on the other hand seems to have a laundry list of problems.....whether it’s from level design to the overall unpolished feel.

ironcreed

Banned
4.5 is broken game territory. The game is quirky and has a rough camera, but it does not feel broken to the point of being unplayable in the demo. Like I said, Gamespot has briefly put up reviews before and they always pan out to be the same, but perhaps it is a glitch this one time. Either way, I am still sticking with the game.

It would be GS being GS, usually representing the most negative of reactions. Like Zelda SS, my GOTY last year, many people agree with the low GS score. There will be plenty that agree with an extreme score of 4.5, just read the reaction to the demo, people said the demo was some crime against humanity.

Teknoman

Yeah I usually dont complain about reviews... but if this ends up going the way of God Hand or that one Paper Mario review...then again reviews are just opinions in the end. If the majority were horrible, then thats another story.

According to Gamespot review scale:

4.0-4.5: Poor
Games that just don't work right and maybe didn't spend enough time in production tend to fall in to this category. They simply lack the cohesion and quality that make other games fun.

Even with having just played either demo, whatever issues with the camera or non-survival horror feeling, its nowhere near a 4.

ironcreed

Banned
I think the reviews are going to cover the spectrum and be all over the place. It's actually already starting to look that way, even though early reviews have a tendency to be on the high side.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Actually if I can chime in for a second, I don't think the issue exactly is its quality. I'll see if I can explain this.

This game is not a bad game, but it's not going to be a game everyone wants or likes. The opposite is true as well, for others this is going to be a game that they will really enjoy.

But I want to address a few things first.

I hope it gets a 4.5. I want the game to be good, but the game comes across as a bloated, focus tested, big budget video game that is not Resident Evil in practice, but only by name.

This is partially true. Not in the way everyone expects, but this game draws a lot of inspiration from all sorts of games. The older Resident Evil games are some of them, but they pull from everything from Mirror's Edge to Metal Gear Solid to, yes, Call of Duty. The game changes its pacing a lot, and while it definitely has some very RE moments, the whole game isn't like that.

What if the checkpoint is at a boss and there's no way to acquire ammo?

Another tweet by VanOrd suggests that is a possibility.

If you guys mean how much ammo you have when you die, it is checkpoint ammo. However, the game is designed so that there's alternatives in mind. I'll get to how the game is designed in a moment, but whenever you need ammo there is always some form of alternative way to do it that may be a bit harder, or thing you can do to obtain ammo.

Yes and no. And this is both artistically and technically. There are some areas graphically that Resident Evil 5 is much better, but others that Resident Evil 6 is much better. What I can say is that I felt the strongest areas graphically of Resident Evil 6 were stronger than the greatest areas of Resident Evil 5 graphically, but that will depend on the person. I also liked the art direction in RE6 much more than RE5.

The level design is truly terrible, there has been no thought into updating the level design to take into account new game mechanics. Instead its Resident Evil in automatic

I respect most of your post and your opinion, but I want to drag this point out for a second.

The level design is all over the place. I don't know what you saw, but there are some chapters where I was extremely impressed with how they designed the stage, and others where it looked poor. The thing about Resident Evil 6 is that each chapter is different from one another, even in the same campaign. I don't know why but it almost feels like each chapter is it's own miniature game as opposed to each campaign. There are some chapters I was really impressed by, and others I was let down by. Some stages and bosses utilize the games mechanics extremely well, but other stages seem to be designed differently and you apply the mechanics in a different way than you're adjusted to.

It's really hard to talk about this without spoilers, but I cannot agree when people say the level design is truly terrible. I can agree that some of it is, but I also thought some of it was absolutely brilliant. And the reason is because each chapter is so different from each other.

I know its not perfect, but 4.5 out of 10? No way. Thats just like when Game Informer gave Paper Mario TTYD a 3 or something.

I don't think the review is wrong, nor do I think it is right. The game has confirmed what I suspected, this will be an INCREDIBLY polarizing experience. Some people are jumping on the low score as a 'I told you so,' meanwhile neglecting high or mid-range scores, but I am going to say this one last time:

Reviews will be polarizing as hell, bet on it.

Or maybe because it's simply not a well made game? RE5 was not what a RE game should have been and it still reviewed well.

RE6 on the other hand seems to have a laundry list of problems.....whether it’s from level design to the overall unpolished feel.

This game has a lot of good reviews, and like other reviews, neither right or wrong. But I disagree whole-heartily when you say it is unpolished. they fixed up the tearing and framerate issues dramatically in the final build, and besides some graphical clipping, there has not been much found at all in terms of glitches (there is one or two things such as the Ustanak melee glitch in the demo, but I actually don't know if that's in the final game or not. Should try it sometime).

GS gave ORC a 4.5. If they give RE6 a 4.5 it better be a broken game, which from everything I have heard it is not. This is where GS scoring just blows my mind, i know they try to say you cant compare scores across games, but then what is the point of scores. If they give RE6 the same score as ORC they better absolutely believe RE6 is as bad as ORC.

Teknoman

GS gave ORC a 4.5. If they give RE6 a 4.5 it better be a broken game, which from everything I have heard it is not. This is where GS scoring just blows my mind, i know they try to say you cant compare scores across games, but then what is the point of scores. If they give RE6 the same score as ORC they better absolutely believe RE6 is as bad as ORC.

Thats just impossible. ORC had horrible gun sound effects, bad gunshot feed back, everything felt too bullet spongy, explosions that would have an effect on you even if you were around the corner, and more problems i'm sure i'm forgetting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think there's a big misunderstanding here!

When you die in Resident Evil 6, you have as much ammo as you had at the checkpoint, not how much ammo you had when you died. Where were people getting this idea? There's a reason the guy streaming would die with no ammo, and then when he continued he started at the checkpoint with the ammo he had before he entered the area he died at.

WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think there's a big misunderstanding here!

When you die in Resident Evil 6, you have as much ammo as you had at the checkpoint, not how much ammo you had when you died. Where were people getting this idea? There's a reason the guy streaming would die with no ammo, and then when he continued he started at the checkpoint with the ammo he had before he entered the area he died at.

Who to believe, dude in a gaming forum or the head dude at GS... dude in gaming forum for sure. Not shocking that they would get that wrong but how do you get that wrong? Maybe it depends on difficulty or some strange skill.

web01

No one should be surprised by 4.5 after the shitfest that was the demo they should be questioning the high review scores that are most likely paid off.

Top Bottom