• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Scher

Alright, I don't know how useful this information will be to everyone. Since some people were talking about Bladewing/Frostwing feathers and preventing the feathers from growing back, I decided to experiment with the fights to make sure I fully understood how the Bladewing/Frostwing fights work. Here's what I've concluded based on the fights.

Whether Bladewing/Frostwing is in their second (grounded) phase is completely dependent on how many feathers are broken. Once half of the feathers are broken, they will go into their second phase regardless of health. This meant that I was able to push them into second phase really early in the fight when they had only lost a fifth of their health by focusing only on the wings. This also meant that avoiding their wings kept them from entering the second phase until after they had lost most of their health. They stay in the second phase until the rest of the feathers have been broken, at which point they go back to using their original moveset.

It's after that point that they seem to randomly try and grow feathers back, regardless of whether or not you've already interrupted them before. They'll start clawing at the ground and you'll see a bunch of rocks popping up from the ground when they are trying to grow back wings. When they do that, you can stop them with your special attack. It also seems that you can just keep enraging them and they'll never try to grow the feathers back. At least, that's what seemed to happen on the low rank fight I did. I was able to do enough damage to keep enraging Bladewing. Took him from about half health to dead without any attempts to grow the feathers back.

I hope my observations aren't redundant or anything, and I hope it's of some help to others. Also, as I said earlier, feel free to correct me if any of my observations are wrong.

ramyeon

Destroying part is what bow user do, though they only do shit against trashmob. I wonder if there should a boss that could summon more grunts beside manhunter just to screwed up bow user.
I know that, I'm talking about encouraging teamwork because as it stands there isn't really much of it in Toukiden. You all just kind of do your thing and pummel the Oni. In MH now users can also break any parts, except to cut parts like tails they need to use their close range melee attack which is really weak. I just wish there were more limitations on each weapon that made it more important to have a mix in each party.

Speaking of teamwork I really miss capture quests from MH strangely enough.

Just finished chapter 2 .. man fighting a boss alone is quite different from when you're with a team.

It's really annoying to keep the boss occupied when you're trying to clean those parts on the ground.

I know that, I'm talking about encouraging teamwork because as it stands there isn't really much of it in Toukiden. You all just kind of do your thing and pummel the Oni. In MH now users can also break any parts, except to cut parts like tails they need to use their close range melee attack which is really weak. I just wish there were more limitations on each weapon that made it more important to have a mix in each party.

Speaking of teamwork I really miss capture quests from MH strangely enough.

I miss powderstone and wyvern egg carry quests.

YES, I LOVED THOSE. SUE ME.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I miss powderstone and wyvern egg carry quests.

YES, I LOVED THOSE. SUE ME.

Holy crap, so did I. Those were really intense. I was always so scared that I'd hit the "drop" button instead of the "turn in" button when you're at the red chest to turn it in. I wished you could just place it on the ground and fight that rathian, while trying to manuever around the egg so as to not destroy it, that woulda been cool, but also having a rathian or rathalos or conga or kut ku charging at me, as I made a run toward the exit was intense.

Speaking of MH did anyone play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? I played through the wii version and I bought 3U but didn't play much of it, although i really liked online on it. The whole being able to type on the wii pad, or speaking through the mic on the gamepad was so convinient and made it so much enjoyable. I also liked freeing up my HUD and keeping the map on the gamepad, that was cool.

Anyway, I really wished they'd let you type on Toukiden. Even during a game, that would make the game much more enjoyable fo shizzles.

Sorry Toukiden Gaf, I been away for a couple of weeks and now I am back. I got a few friends requests from you guys and they are all accepted. I am also downloading the game right now. So, give me time to catch up because I know you guys are leaps ahead. Again sorry guys.

Ogawa-san

Man, Windshredder in 7min is one miserable mission... 7min of watching it run away from you, NPCs ignoring the boss to fight small oni and a blitzer ramming your unsuspecting ass for good measure.

I guess the way to go is taking four people with DCP mitamas to chain Stupor it and hit while you can...

wilflare

there needs to be a faster way to
(1) get Haku (lol I'm using them up faster than getting them)
(2) level up Mitama (are we supposed to just spend Haku at Shikimi's?)
(3) get those weapons of choice lol

Seil

there needs to be a faster way to
(1) get Haku (lol I'm using them up faster than getting them)
(2) level up Mitama (are we supposed to just spend Haku at Shikimi's?)
(3) get those weapons of choice lol

1) For haku, bosses that regen parts(parts that can be purified at least) are good since you get haku from purification. Also chapter/phase 6+ seem much better in general for haku, both as rewards and for items to sell.

2) Money is indeed probably the best route for leveling Mitama if you're intent on getting them up for use. Though until you finish chapter 5 you can't reach level 10, and it's really not that big of a deal until then imo.

wilflare

1) For haku, bosses that regen parts(parts that can be purified at least) are good since you get haku from purification. Also chapter/phase 6+ seem much better in general for haku, both as rewards and for items to sell.

2) Money is indeed probably the best route for leveling Mitama if you're intent on getting them up for use. Though until you finish chapter 5 you can't reach level 10, and it's really not that big of a deal until then imo.

maybe that's where I'm doing it totally wrong
I'm still in Chapter 4 land and I'm trying to move ahead too much
- finishing every quest
- levelling Tree Shrine/Offering Box/Shop to the max T_T

Seil

maybe that's where I'm doing it totally wrong
I'm still in Chapter 4 land and I'm trying to move ahead too much
- finishing every quest
- levelling Tree Shrine/Offering Box/Shop to the max T_T

I also did every quest through 5(haven't done the solo mission in 5 though). Also always do the tree shrine so it's been maxed for a while. Working on the offering box, but just like 1k at a time right now, will probably start throwing at least 2k soon. Always check the shop to buy pool cards and sell on occasion. Gold rank, not sure if there's anything higher but gold was really easy.

I've only gotten to like phase 3 in MP though, debating whether I want to work on it some or try to finish up SP first.

I took it pretty easy on armor upgrades and mitama leveling, though. I've been using Crimson armor since that became available. After reaching chapter 6, I reset one of my mitama and got it to 10 and leveled two others to 9 and 10. Level 10 makes Spirit so much nicer with Renewal and Devour combo.

wilflare

I also did every quest through 5(haven't done the solo mission in 5 though). Also always do the tree shrine so it's been maxed for a while. Working on the offering box, but just like 1k at a time right now, will probably start throwing at least 2k soon. Always check the shop to buy pool cards and sell on occasion. Gold rank, not sure if there's anything higher but gold was really easy.

I've only gotten to like phase 3 in MP though, debating whether I want to work on it some or try to finish up SP first.

I took it pretty easy on armor upgrades and mitama leveling, though. I've been using Crimson armor since that became available. After reaching chapter 6, I reset one of my mitama and got it to 10 and leveled two others to 9 and 10. Level 10 makes Spirit so much nicer with Renewal and Devour combo.

hmm why did you reset? :O those hard-earned Haku...

Seil

hmm why did you reset? :O those hard-earned Haku...

I had deleted Abe no Seimei's Devour ability because it was essentially useless at the time. It maxes the spirit gauge when you hit with Pursuit, but under normal circumstances the spirit gauge returns to 0 when you leave the stance. Since you lose your target when you use a skill, that extra charge is useless outside of heals.

However, at level 10 he gains Renewal which lets you keep your spirit gauge charge when out of the stance. This makes Devour extremely useful since you can hit with a Pursuit, target again and instantly unleash an Eruption or Fountain. So, I had to reset him to go back for Devour x.x

wilflare

I had deleted Abe no Seimei's Devour ability because it was essentially useless at the time. It maxes the spirit gauge when you hit with Pursuit, but under normal circumstances the spirit gauge returns to 0 when you leave the stance. Since you lose your target when you use a skill, that extra charge is useless outside of heals.

However, at level 10 he gains Renewal which lets you keep your spirit gauge charge when out of the stance. This makes Devour extremely useful since you can hit with a Pursuit, target again and instantly unleash an Eruption or Fountain. So, I had to reset him to go back for Devour x.x

ouch.. how long did it take to go back to Level 10 lol

Seil

ouch.. how long did it take to go back to Level 10 lol

No time since I had the haku. Wasn't super cheap, but since Abe no Seimei's one of the early Mitama it wasn't that bad.

Anyone know where I can get a Sundrop? Is there an item list I can consult?

They're from the tree shrine. Not sure if any Phase 6+ maps have them or not, but the tree shrine can definitely give them. Just like Midnight Pellicles and the like.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

But don't you have to hit the body part again? Doesn't it lose the target once you use pursuit?

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Yes you do, that's what they mean by target again. It still saves you having to charge up the spirit meter again though.

Hmmm Well I guess SPT isnt my cup of tea. If the target didn't dissapear, it would be far more appealing for me, but I guess that would make it OP.

Seil

Hmmm Well I guess SPT isnt my cup of tea. If the target didn't dissapear, it would be far more appealing for me, but I guess that would make it OP.

For bow users, losing the target doesn't really mean much. Lock onto the part you want, quick square shot and you're golden. Also fountain just requires you hit them anywhere since it's not targeting a specific part.

That said, playstyle and weapon choice vary and thus so do Mitama preferences.

For bow users, losing the target doesn't really mean much. Lock onto the part you want, quick square shot and you're golden. Also fountain just requires you hit them anywhere since it's not targeting a specific part.

That said, playstyle and weapon choice vary and thus so do Mitama preferences.

This is definitely true and important. In the demo I rocked an attack mitama with my gauntlets since I assumed that'd be the highest damage. Now I definitely feel like speed mitama are the highest damage potential with my playstyle.

Scher

UA6rALyl.jpg

You know what makes a fun solo fight? A boss that spends most of its time charging across the room at low health.

Scher

Dammit, that's awesome! What's your setup?

I'm mostly just built to outlast stuff. Using a defense mitama with Tranquility, increased Shield stock and Protection (Lv.3). I have Swordsmanship and Expert Destroyer for breaking parts, and I have Devastation for increased damage to crits. I can pretty much win any fight through sheer attrition.

I've still got some skills I don't really care for, though. I really want some of the buffs to Taunt (damage and increased speed) and I want to get to the end of phase 8 so I can get Minamoto no Yoshitsune in order to get several of the boosts I want on one mitama.

Oh yeah, I cleared that too. All parts broken!

I got all the parts broken, too! Considering it was a 35 minute fight, it was kind of difficult not to break everything. I probably could have shaved off 5 or so minutes if he didn't spend most of the end of the fight running around the room

Here's my setup (though at the time I wasn't using this weapon):

3WGFcEd.jpg

Also there are two more skills but I didn't want to post another screenshot just for those. They're just the set bonus from my armor, and the set bonus for my three mitama.

I'd rather have Devastation than Ebullience, and something else instead of Verity Lv. 3, but since getting rid of those two would screw up the rest of my passive skills, I'd say this is pretty much my final form as far as gauntlets go.

wilflare

3WGFcEd.jpg

Also there are two more skills but I didn't want to post another screenshot just for those. They're just the set bonus from my armor, and the set bonus for my three mitama.

you guys are making me feel really bad about my underpowered character lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am at chapter 7 phase 8-5 and no fight, *NO* fight, is as annoying as Pyrogrinder + Terragrinder combo. Fuck that shit. The only time during a boss fight I don't even bother trying to break all their parts.

JimPanzer

I am at chapter 7 phase 8-5 and no fight, *NO* fight, is as annoying as Pyrogrinder + Terragrinder combo. Fuck that shit. The only time during a boss fight I don't even bother trying to break all their parts.

yep, that fight is annoying as hell. made me rage so much and mess up even more lol.

does anyone know how much the devastation mitama increases the damage of your precision strikes? I'm not to sure if it's worth to go for it with a crit build.

I'm suprised since i hated it in the demo but in full version i'm starting to like bow.

Only one question - how do i use curse arrow effectively ?

And can someone tell me how is leveling mitamas working ? I got one to lvl 3 and he now have 3 abilities - do i need to reset him to gain diffrent abilities ?

Where do i find dark aurwing? Some mission requires that i kill 200 of it!

You can only level your mitama above level 3 after a certain chapter. Once you get it up to level 4, the mitama will gain a new ability.. But it can only hold 3 abilities, so you gotta choose one for it to be replaced.

JimPanzer

And can someone tell me how is leveling mitamas working ? I got one to lvl 3 and he now have 3 abilities - do i need to reset him to gain diffrent abilities ?

You will gain more abilities once you level up further, but you have to swap out one of the older abilities if you want to have the new one. This is not set in stone though, as you can always pacify and reset your mitamas to lvl 1.

wilflare

You can only level your mitama above level 3 after a certain chapter. Once you get it up to level 4, the mitama will gain a new ability.. But it can only hold 3 abilities, so you gotta choose one for it to be replaced.

lol. >< i'm not looking forward to that for sure

Seil

Only one question - how do i use curse arrow effectively ?

If you're aiming for damage, charging destroyer and weakening multiple parts, hit a few parts with curse arrow and break em all with homing arrow(circle). It's fast and high damage per explosion. Curse + fully charged square when you're after a specific/annoying part.

As for effectively aiming it... that will vary per boss and it's sometimes a HUGE pain. A lot of the more mobile ones love to get out of range or decide to walk up to your face when charging, reducing the number of hits. Still working on getting better with this x.x

Bonus tip: 2x Triangle at point blank is one of your fastest damaging attacks. If all 5 arrows hit, it's similar to a fully charged square(only true when not cursed, though, triangle's explosions are meh). So, when dealing with trash, this is often your best option.

A "kill 100 in x mins" mission should appear soon after acquiring that quest. Just do that twice when it unlocks.

Shengar

I'm mostly just built to outlast stuff. Using a defense mitama with Tranquility, increased Shield stock and Protection (Lv.3). I have Swordsmanship and Expert Destroyer for breaking parts, and I have Devastation for increased damage to crits. I can pretty much win any fight through sheer attrition.

I've still got some skills I don't really care for, though. I really want some of the buffs to Taunt (damage and increased speed) and I want to get to the end of phase 8 so I can get Minamoto no Yoshitsune in order to get several of the boosts I want on one mitama.

I got all the parts broken, too! Considering it was a 35 minute fight, it was kind of difficult not to break everything. I probably could have shaved off 5 or so minutes if he didn't spend most of the end of the fight running around the room

http://i.imgur.com/3WGFcEd.jpg[IMG]

I'd rather have Devastation than Ebullience, and something else instead of Verity Lv. 3, but since getting rid of those two would screw up the rest of my passive skills, I'd say this is pretty much my final form as far as gauntlets go.[/QUOTE]

LS and gauntlet huh. I wonder if Hayatori's Dual Knives can do the job for me with the right setup. Time to look into that Mitama's detailed spreadsheet.

Top Bottom