• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Havoc2049

Yeeeeeah I started typing something up and then just said fuck this and closed the tab. Not worth it.

They need to realize that gun ownership was and should still be a core liberal tenant. :/

That ship sailed many moons ago and it's never coming back to port.

appaws

Banned
This home defense thread is going to give me an aneurysm.

Yeeeeeah I started typing something up and then just said fuck this and closed the tab. Not worth it.

They need to realize that gun ownership was and should still be a core liberal tenant. :/

That ship sailed many moons ago and it's never coming back to port.

Yeah, I used to wade deep into those. But it just isn't worth posting anything in GAF OT if you disagree with the majority.

Picked up a Glock 43 today and went to the range and was going good until my last few and a round jammed in the barrel. Was eventually able to get it out but didn't shoot it again. I'm a little pissed since I've never had an issue with the ammo, Federal Aluminum, in my 17 or 19.

Piggus

Was it the case that got stuck or the actual bullet? If it was the bullet, then it was probably just a squib round that maybe didn't get a powder charge (the primer has enough energy to force the bullet into the barrel).

Was it the case that got stuck or the actual bullet? If it was the bullet, then it was probably just a squib round that maybe didn't get a powder charge (the primer has enough energy to force the bullet into the barrel).

It was the actual bullet. Had to get it out with a brass rod

Piggus

Yeah that's almost definitely ammo-related then and not related to the gun itself. At least you caught it before firing another round!

SpecX

This thread and a friend finally convinced me to go to a shop yesterday and take the test for California. Passed first try with only 1 question missed, messed up on the age requirement for long rifles, but good to go.

Held a few handguns and really like the feel of the Glock 35. I know it's more of a competition gun, but it felt comfortable in my hands, easy to operate, and was priced good at a discount. I want to go to a range and try it, but might go buy something in a week or 2.

Definitely taking the classes they offer and looking at safes so everything is as safe as I can make it in our household. Any recommendations for safes? The shop said stay away from biometric models due to reliability.

Used-ID

First off, congrats.
Second, you're off to a good start. You seem to be doing everything 'right'. Though I'd like to offer up some advice: keep trying out how pistols feel in your hand. Nothing wrong with your choice, but I'd hate for you to find something that fits your hand better right after you bought one.

Now I have a question for everyone:

I have a Kel-Tec KSG shotgun that I keep ready for home defense. The cheek rest keeps trying to rust on me. I know that living near the Texas gulf coast makes rust an inevitability, so it may be a listing battle but... Anyone know of a good product that'll protect metal from rusting? I want to have the firearm ready at all times, but also don't want it to rust away.

Now I have a question for everyone:

I have a Kel-Tec KSG shotgun that I keep ready for home defense. The cheek rest keeps trying to rust on me. I know that living near the Texas gulf coast makes rust an inevitability, so it may be a listing battle but... Anyone know of a good product that'll protect metal from rusting? I want to have the firearm ready at all times, but also don't want it to rust away.

CLP, 3-in-1 oil, WD-40, silicon spray lubricant, furniture wax.

What is this gun??

PDXHWh1.png

Used-ID

What is this gun??

I don't know, but it looks like it uses 5.56/.223 ammunition from the size of the magazine.

It looks like an old design, or something from an Eastern European maker - I'm guessing from the look of the charging handle.

Oooo and it ejects from the left side too, that could make it easier to hunt down as well.

I don't know, but it looks like it uses 5.56/.223 ammunition from the size of the magazine.

It looks like an old design, or something from an Eastern European maker - I'm guessing from the look of the charging handle.

Oooo and it ejects from the left side too, that could make it easier to hunt down as well.

I saw it on the silencer co website. It almost looks like a galil upper on a scar lower.

despire

Looked like a FAL so I figured it would be from FN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FNC

The FN FNC (French: Fabrique Nationale Carabine) is a 5.56×45mm NATO assault rifle developed by the Belgian arms manufacturer FN Herstal and introduced in the late 1970s.

The rifle was developed between 1975–1977 for NATO standardization trials.[1] The rifle's design is based on the FNC 76 prototype, which itself originated from the commercially unsuccessful FN CAL rifle.[1] This prototype was soon withdrawn from the NATO competition after performing poorly due to its rushed development. Later trials for the Swedish Armed Forces held between 1981–1982 using updated prototypes proved the utility and efficiency of the design, impressing both the Swedish military and Belgian Army staff back at home.[1] The FNC was finally adopted by the Belgian Armed Forces in 1989, as a service-wide replacement for the 7.62×51mm NATO FN FAL, after having been issued in small numbers to airborne infantry units for several years.[1]

Indonesia purchased approximately 10,000 rifles in 1982 for its air force, and later acquired a license to manufacture these rifles for all branches of the armed forces.[1] These are built by the Indonesian firm PT Pindad as the Pindad SS1 and Pindad SS2. A version of the FNC adapted for arctic conditions was adopted in 1986 as the standard service rifle of the Swedish Armed Forces (with the designation Ak 5) and is used in relatively small numbers by a number of other armies and police organizations.

Looks the same to me.

SpecX

First off, congrats.
Second, you're off to a good start. You seem to be doing everything 'right'. Though I'd like to offer up some advice: keep trying out how pistols feel in your hand. Nothing wrong with your choice, but I'd hate for you to find something that fits your hand better right after you bought one.

Definitely, I tried out a Springfield 1911 and it felt like a beast it my hands. Very solid build and heavy compared to the Glock, but the price was double the Glock 35. Friend ended up getting a Sig P2022, but has to wait for it to come in. Once it arrives, I plan to go back in with him and by then I should have my mind set on what I want.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I'm looking to buy a 12 ga semi auto shotgun for trap/skeet shooting and eventually duck hunting down the line. $600 max. MSRP new is my budget. I'm open to buying used.

A coworker got a Weatherby SA-08 and seems to like it. I've also gotten recommendations for Mossbergs and Berettas, no specific model mentioned.

Any recommendations? I'll be checking out some guns after work at Gander Mountain, but I have no timeline.

Edit: I checked out a Stoeger M3500 and thought it was chintzy and a Beretta A300, which was nicer but cost more than I'd like and I didn't much care for the brass dot sight.

I am looking into purchasing a new firearm by this summer. I own a 10/22, AR-15, and a M&P Shield 9mm currently. I was debating on a .357 revolver around $700 or an AK around the same price. My local shop has Century Arms AK's but have been told they can be hit or miss. For a revolver was looking at ether a S&W or possibly a Ruger. I have shot all mentioned and enjoy them all but they where rentals . Any advise/ opinions would be great.

I am looking into purchasing a new firearm by this summer. I own a 100/22, AR-15, and a M&P Shield 9mm currently. I was debating on a .357 revolver around $700 or an AK around the same price. My local shop has Century Arms AK's but have been told they can be hit or miss. For a revolver was looking at ether a S&W or possibly a Ruger. I have shot all mentioned and enjoy them all but they where rentals . Any advise/ opinions would be great.

Ruger GP100 is a hell of a revolver. Built like a tank, extremely reliable springs and mechanism, accurate, comfortable. And you can save money by shooting .38 at the range.

I am looking into purchasing a new firearm by this summer. I own a 10/22, AR-15, and a M&P Shield 9mm currently. I was debating on a .357 revolver around $700 or an AK around the same price. My local shop has Century Arms AK's but have been told they can be hit or miss. For a revolver was looking at ether a S&W or possibly a Ruger. I have shot all mentioned and enjoy them all but they where rentals . Any advise/ opinions would be great.

If you can find one in good shape for a good price, I would highly, highly suggest a pinned and recessed Smith and Wesson Model 19. Anything from the 70s or 60s is a wonderful gun. Mine is a 19-3 from the early 70s and the trigger is truly outstanding. Firing .357 from that feels kinda like 9mm.

You'll have to look used since they haven't been made for some time and the ones with the desirable features are older ones anyway.

I've got a GP100 for home defense too and I like it quite a bit. It's a mean looking revolver that definitely looks and feels the part in hand. It's not as smooth a shooter as the Model 19 I have, but it's certainly not bad. You can also change up the sights and work on it with a larger aftermarket compared to the 19.

I would suggest either of those over a Century AK, though I might be biased because I loathe the feeling of seeing what looks like a beautiful milsurp rifle or pistol and then finding all the markings scrubbed off and a big ugly CAI dot peened on the receiver.

Bandit1

Thread's been kinda slow, so I figured I'd give it a bump. Got a Dara IWB holster for my Walther PPS M2 a few weeks ago. Random pic that isn't mine:

walther_pps_m2_holster.jpg

Been wearing it around the shop in about the 4 o'clock position, just far enough back where it's not against my hip bone and it's pretty comfortable. The holster fits the gun very well and has a screw for adjustable retention which is nice. However after wearing it for a day or more, the screw seems to loosen a bit. Think I'll put something on the threads to see if it holds better. Overall I really like it though.

hwalker84

Thinking about shaking things up.

Someone offered me a Scar 16s FDE with the Giessle Super Scar trigger for $2000. Thinking about buying it.

Then trading my Colt LE6940 for a Kriss Vector SDP with sig brace and 5 33-round magazines.

Hmm. Thoughts?

Someone offered me a Scar 16s FDE with the Giessle Super Scar trigger for $2000. Thinking about buying it.

Then trading my Colt LE6940 for a Kriss Vector SDP with sig brace and 5 33-round magazines.

Hmm. Thoughts?

SCAR for $2000 with an upgraded trigger is a bargain. Vectors are sweet but trading it is up to you.

Hmm. Thoughts?

The SCAR is for sure a buy. Usually you see them in the $2500-$3000 neighborhood for the 16, which I think is ridiculous for a 5.56 rifle. I'm still kicking myself for not putting out on a similar deal I saw with a SCAR 17.

The AR for a Vector would be a good one too, in my opinion. I think new both of them are about the same value. So I guess it really depends on if you're bored with your AR and want to try something new.

Thinking of getting a g19. Wanted a g43, but not CA legal. I really want an AR but refuse to get one as neutered as it needs to be in this state. Will wait til I move to Oregon for that. Any reason not to get a g19? I am not finding any...

Hmm. Thoughts?

I would be all over that SCAR and that Kriss. Go for both of them!!

hwalker84

The SCAR is for sure a buy. Usually you see them in the $2500-$3000 neighborhood for the 16, which I think is ridiculous for a 5.56 rifle. I'm still kicking myself for not putting out on a similar deal I saw with a SCAR 17.

The AR for a Vector would be a good one too, in my opinion. I think new both of them are about the same value. So I guess it really depends on if you're bored with your AR and want to try something new.

Yeah I never really shoot the Colt I'm more of a Tavor guy and the next AR I get I want in a SBR.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of getting a g19. Wanted a g43, but not CA legal. I really want an AR but refuse to get one as neutered as it needs to be in this state. Will wait til I move to Oregon for that. Any reason not to get a g19? I am not finding any...

Seems like a pretty stable platform. Great for target shooting and home protection.

Piggus

I ordered a Beretta 92S Italian police trade-in for about $300. The heel mag release is a little weird, but that's a pretty great deal for a classic pistol.

I ordered a Beretta 92S Italian police trade-in for about $300. The heel mag release is a little weird, but that's a pretty great deal for a classic pistol.

I love the Beretta 92, and I've come close to getting a 92S or a 92D(?). But I can't see myself being satisfied with a Beretta missing some features of the 92fs.

I think I'll hold out for a 92 or 96 Inox.

Edit: post picts when you get it, Love me some Beretta

hwalker84

hwalker84

Another pistol that I'll never get to see in Cali....

How was the vector??

It's a very interesting gun. Has barely and recoil. The trigger is pretty decent for this design. Just doing a mag dump people thought I had a full auto. I can see the issues people have when they don't use a vertical foregrip. Your thumb or palm can easily hit the bolt release and lock the bolt to the rear. I had to find a different grip that still felt natural. I didn't have any of the magazine release issues some people did nor did my friend.

Just bought a piston so that when my silencer finally gets here I can run this thing suppressed.

Piggus

Beretta 92S arrived, and man... I lucked out big time. This is a nicer looking example than any of the guns in reviews or even example pics that I've seen of it.

0Vw3WHW.jpg

hEdfHQP.jpg

Props to the Italian police bro who didn't use it as a hammer or drag it through the dirt.

Just purchased my first AR15...the S&W M&P 15 Sport 2. I've been aching to get one for a while and I found this dude on gunbuyer.com for 498.00 free shipping, price seems ridiculous for a solid entry level AR, just couldn't pass it up. Anyone else have one of these? I was contemplating the Ruger 556 and it seems like you can't go wrong with either, but looking around, people generally seemed to favor the S&W.

Chorazin

Just purchased my first AR15...the S&W M&P 15 Sport 2. I've been aching to get one for a while and I found this dude on gunbuyer.com for 498.00 free shipping, price seems ridiculous for a solid entry level AR, just couldn't pass it up. Anyone else have one of these? I was contemplating the Ruger 556 and it seems like you can't go wrong with either, but looking around, people generally seemed to favor the S&W.

I have the same rifle, it's fantastic. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a MAGPUL hand guard for it, the one stock on the rifle is a cheap plastic POS that doesn't guard your hand from any heat whatsoever, and has no rails for attachments.

You'll need to look up how to install it, because it requires removing the front sling attachment point (which you can replace via a MAGPUL sling point attachment to the hand guard). It's stupid easy to do.

I have the same rifle, it's fantastic. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a MAGPUL hand guard for it, the one stock on the rifle is a cheap plastic POS that doesn't guard your hand from any heat whatsoever, and has no rails for attachments.

You'll need to look up how to install it, because it requires removing the front sling attachment point (which you can replace via a MAGPUL sling point attachment to the hand guard). It's stupid easy to do.

Thanks! I'm actually going to do that, the MAGPUL one also looks better aesthetically so win win. Plus it's cheap. I have a feeling I'm going to be sinking some cash into this puppy lol. My next buy will probably be a red dot.

Piggus

Thanks! I'm actually going to do that, the MAGPUL one also looks better aesthetically so win win. Plus it's cheap. I have a feeling I'm going to be sinking some cash into this puppy lol. My next buy will probably be a red dot.

Welcome to the world of upgrades. My $550 AK has about $800 in extras, even without a super expensive optic. A lot of people spend $1200+ on a Trijicon ACOG alone.

Welcome to the world of upgrades. My $550 AK has about $800 in extras, even without a super expensive optic. A lot of people spend $1200+ on a Trijicon ACOG alone.

Haha, damn. I don't think I'll go that far, I don't shoot often enough. Indoor gun ranges make shooting in the city a pretty expensive hobby (that's expensive enough expending all that ammo). From what I've read the stock furniture is pretty good. I picked up the recommended Magpul handguard, besides that I may upgrade my buttstock, add a grip, and get a sight. So I may put 300-400 more into it overtime, but I've never been much of a bells and whistles guy.

I still can't believe you can get a solid AR from a reputable company for 500 bucks these days, talk about market saturation. I guess it benefits me that the paranoid gunbuyers load up during political doubt in regards to the 2nd amendment. I remember 5 years or so ago when you couldn't find a decent AR below a grand.

Top Bottom