• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon US/UM From Famitsu Interview

Also up the trainer count pls because the number of actual battles in SM was hella low. I really miss long routes and paths with a decent number of trainers. But I guess that wouldn't be as much of a problem if the battles themselves weren't brain-dead easy (yes, even the Totem battles were largely straightforward).

Just break down and add the fuckin "Easy/Normal/Challenge" Modes back from BW2. That was such a godsend and should have been standard for the series going forward, especially considering how little effort it requires to implement.

Also hoping there's a proper Victory Road this time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Also up the trainer count pls because the number of actual battles in SM was hella low.

They also need to up the Pokémon count as they only held two but seeing footage of Hau having four Pokémon in Paniola Town, in Sun and Moon he only had two, plus with the statement of the game being more expanded gives hope that they will do that.

Just break down and add the fuckin "Easy/Normal/Challenge" Modes back from BW2. That was such a godsend and should have been standard for the series going forward, especially considering how little effort it requires to implement.

Honestly I don't mind Game Freak taking steps in making the series more accessible for new comers however I wouldn't mind the return of Challenge mode for veteran players who have no interest in the meta game and would like a bit more challenge in their game.

Who here didn't nickname Nebby "Nebby"? Why?

I didn't in Moon as in my head story that was "Nebby" but a new Cosmog that was found at the end of Pokémon Sun, nicknamed Meggy by Lillie.

Let's start from the villain, Lusamine is a lot better because she doesn't just want world domination. She had her husband disappear because of his research on Ultra Beasts, then entered in contact with one that started intoxicating her slowly driving her mad and her children stole the Pokémon she was using to presumably try to get him back. Awesome interactions between her and Lillie.
Ghetsis just wanted world domination and didn't really have much going on besides that.

Next up, Bianca and Cheren vs Lillie and Hau. Lillie obviously goes through much more character development than basically any other character in the series, Hau also felt more alive as a rival than Cheren for example in the way he expressed emotions, but was probably simpler overall.

Kukui and Guzma were both awesome characters, same as Nanu and others such as Acerola and Hapu.

Gladion was a bit underdeveloped and N was probably the best in BW.

At the end of the day SM had way more memorable characters and most of them were also written better, I feel.

Lusamine and Lillie are some of the most laughably written characters in a jrpg, and im not giving it extra credit for being an E rated game.

Lusamines living collection is meant to be wrong and villainous but we have done the exact same shit in every previous game, to a much larger degree with PC Boxes.
Lillies preachy shit about pokemon not being tools or things to collect is even more laughable when right after that you can collect creatures and gods that the game tells you want to go back to their world, or are required to govern the region. (or even worse, how we are encouraged to breed Pokemon over and over until you get a good one, and the rest are 100% disposable)

Give us a simple and funny story and not these messy melodrama and cataclysm plots. Whoever thinks a "serious" or "realistic" Pokemon is a viable angle is off their rocker.

They also need to up the Pokémon count as they only held two but seeing footage of Hau having four Pokémon in Paniola Town, in Sun and Moon he only had two, plus with the statement of the game being more expanded gives hope that they will do that.

This was an issue for me too. Made me feel like there was always more trainers out there somewhere and... nope.

Same here, but that was actually part of the "Challenge Mode" in BW2. It was baked right in. Some trainers had more Pokemon.

Honestly I don't mind Game Freak taking steps in making the series more accessible for new comers however I wouldn't mind the return of Challenge mode for veteran players who have no interest in the meta game and would like a bit more challenge in their game.

The beauty of the difficulty modes in BW2 is that there were three tiers. Easy, Normal, and Challenge. It was a very easy way to pretty much accommodate all skill levels (of course I wouldn't mind an even higher difficulty than what Challenge offered but it's okay).

SoulUnison

Banned
After how barebones yet disgustingly handhold-y Sun and Moon felt this feels a depressingly large amount like "The game you thought you were getting last year, only $40!"

And even them, I'm not convinced there's anywhere near the refinement they're trying to pretend there is.
It's basically going to boil down to a couple new Mons, a string of new cutscenes, a few new environments, and some tacked on QoL improvements that have no excuse for missing the first version, anyway.

PS_GUY

I've given up on hope for any new Pokemon (not UBs) and Alolan forms. New Pokemon is such a huge selling point that it would be really unwise of the Pokemon Company to not showcase them by now to promote the new games...

I've noticed that the Pokemon Company has been advertising USUM really aggressively on Twitter. Didn't see that many sponsored ads for XY and SM back then. I wonder how the preorders are going...

Madao

hm, learning these are alternate stories of SM instead of a direct sequel like B2W2 to BW sort of reduces my excitement for the games.
i hope these story changes are good.

Gen 5 still the best gen

So its confirmed US/UM is twice the length of S/M? If so I might buy it as I only did one playthrough of S/M back when it released and haven't touched the game since.

Aleh

Lusamines living collection is meant to be wrong and villainous but we have done the exact same shit in every previous game, to a much larger degree with PC Boxes.
Lillies preachy shit about pokemon not being tools or things to collect is even more laughable when right after that you can collect creatures and gods that the game tells you want to go back to their world, or are required to govern the region. (or even worse, how we are encouraged to breed Pokemon over and over until you get a good one, and the rest are 100% disposable)

Give us a simple and funny story and not these messy melodrama and cataclysm plots. Whoever thinks a "serious" or "realistic" Pokemon is a viable angle is off their rocker.

But Lusamine herself points out how it’s supposedly hypocritical of us since we collect and remove Pokémon we can’t use from our party as we please (her exact words). In regards to catching the ultra beasts, Looker says they are scared and are attacking civilians and need to be stopped and the only way to do that is catch them (preferably) or eliminate them. We are also not encouraged to breed for perfect Pokémon in any way outside of the competitive scene and that really goes beyond the normal gameplay.

If you want to play the same non-story over and over again that’s fine, but let’s not pretend everyone wants that. Many people myself included really enjoy these stories and they have shown they are capable to improve on them. To me especially, the fact the games started off with simpler stories only really makes these crazier ones shine more. To find out about different worlds and dimensions and legends in a game that continuously builds its world feels a lot more exciting than say a game that is clearly sci-fi from the get go. It actually feels special, there are mysteries that actually feel like mysteries and sometimes they don’t even give you answers which I think is awesome when not overdone (looking at you XY).

Yeah, XY is what we get when the story is kept "simple". 5 seconds of you and your stupid friends visiting a spooky haunted house, then suddenly Ganondorf wants to blow up the region with a superweapon with no buildup.

Yeah, XY is what we get when the story is kept "simple". 5 seconds of you and your stupid friends visiting a spooky haunted house, then suddenly Ganondorf wants to blow up the region with a superweapon with no buildup.

You don't need multidimensional end of days to have a good story, that comes down to the quality of writing so im not sure why you're conflating XY as being the end result of that.

But Lusamine herself points out how it's supposedly hypocritical of us since we collect and remove Pokémon we can't use from our party as we please (her exact words). In regards to catching the ultra beasts, Looker says they are scared and are attacking civilians and need to be stopped and the only way to do that is catch them (preferably) or eliminate them. We are also not encouraged to breed for perfect Pokémon in any way outside of the competitive scene and that really goes beyond the normal gameplay.

If you want to play the same non-story over and over again that's fine, but let's not pretend everyone wants that. Many people myself included really enjoy these stories and they have shown they are capable to improve on them. To me especially, the fact the games started off with simpler stories only really makes these crazier ones shine more. To find out about different worlds and dimensions and legends in a game that continuously builds its world feels a lot more exciting than say a game that is clearly sci-fi from the get go. It actually feels special, there are mysteries that actually feel like mysteries and sometimes they don't even give you answers which I think is awesome when not overdone (looking at you XY).

Nobody said they want the same story over and over.
Yes I know Lusamine makes that point and its supposed to differentiate the player from her, but it ends up falling completely flat just like the moral dilemma in black and white. Pokemon always had fantasy science elements, but it was flavor in an otherwise fantasy world rather than what we have reached now rather than "its clearly always been sci-fi"

You can claim we're not encouraged to breed spam, but they make it readily apparent when your Pokemon is deficient. You're also going to be trading those ultrabeasts since they give you 2 of each for each game version so its laughable to say you're doing them or the world a favor by sending supposedly dangerous aliens to an anonymous kid on GTS. I know the target audience isnt supposed to notice or care about the dissonance between story and gameplay but that doesnt mean it has to be that way.

Aleh

You don't need multidimensional end of days to have a good story, that comes down to the quality of writing so im not sure why you're conflating XY as being the end result of that.

Black and White didn't have any multi dimensional plot going on, no other worlds or anything, but the story was still quite good. Did you like that one?

Black and White didn't have any multi dimensional plot going on, no other worlds or anything, but the story was still quite good. Did you like that one?

Its the best of Pokemon, but thats not really saying much. It was kind of hard to take a Pokemon ethics debate seriously.
Worse is in S/M they drag you into a dialogue about conservation and corsola being torn apart in detail, and im just playing it like "wtf am i even playing?"

In the same world ill be talking to charicature NPCs with wildly crazy and funny dialogue, kind of like Earthbound or Mother 3, and that part is great

Danielsan

I'm still not sure why people think the story in Black and White was good. I played it for the first time last year and while I agree that they're great Pokemon games, the story definitely did not stand out to me

Aleh

I'm still not sure why people think the story in Black and White was good. I played it for the first time last year and while I agree that they're great Pokemon games, the story definitely did not stand out to me

To me it's mostly the last bit at the Pokémon League that was done really well, maybe because of the amazing music that you only hear there or the fact we got the first taste of 3D cutscenes, or the way they cut to the credits. It was pretty memorable.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I can probably play this and not feel like I missed anything if I skipped S/M, yeah?

Sorry if dumb question. Haven't been near this franchise since 2013. The double script thing just kinda caught my attention.

JoeM86

I can probably play this and not feel like I missed anything if I skipped S/M, yeah?

Sorry if dumb question. Haven't been near this franchise since 2013. The double script thing just kinda caught my attention.

Yeah you can :)

It's like how Platinum was to Diamond & Pearl but with far more changes. It can stand on its own as opposed to Black 2/White 2 which were sequels

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah you can :)

It's like how Platinum was to Diamond & Pearl but with far more changes. It can stand on its own as opposed to Black 2/White 2 which were sequels

Thanks, Joe! Always answering my questions, be it on NeoGAF, GateWorld, or anywhere else. :p

Macka

I have to imagine that many of the people praising the stories of Gen V and VII are fairly young and just haven't had much exposure to other games, let alone books and film, etc. Either that or they exclusively play Nintendo games (which rarely place much emphasis on story) and so the Pokemon series stands out as a result.

It's honestly the only explanation for how people could defend the vapid dialogue of Sun & Moon.

I have to imagine that many of the people praising the stories of Gen V and VII are fairly young, and just haven't had much exposure to other games, let alone books and film, etc. Either that or they exclusively play Nintendo games (which rarely place much emphasis on story) and so the Pokemon series stands out as a result.

It's honestly the only explanation for how people could defend the vapid dialogue of Sun & Moon.

I liked Rosalinas optional story in Galaxy because it was optional. If it were forced on me at regular intervals id have been too annoyed to care about any of it.

Aleh

I have to imagine that many of the people praising the stories of Gen V and VII are fairly young and just haven't had much exposure to other games, let alone books and film, etc. Either that or they exclusively play Nintendo games (which rarely place much emphasis on story) and so the Pokemon series stands out as a result.

They are good for Pokémon standards. What we’re saying is we want to see them keep on improving on this front and not go back to simple/non existent stories

Macka

I liked Rosalinas optional story in Galaxy because it was optional. If it were forced on me at regular intervals id have been too annoyed to care about any of it.
Yeah. I mean obviously Pokemon is always going to require a greater degree of story that that so that you know where you're going and why things are happening, but Gen V and especially VII took it way too far. Couldn't play for more than fifteen minutes without another cutscene/dialogue section.

I actually thought X&Y found a decent balance tbh. I've replayed them a few times now, and the story is nowhere near as prominent or gameplay interrupting as in Gen V.

LotusHD

Banned

Are we really going to act like people can't like "good" stories, and stuff that aren't as "good"? A lot of people found S&M to be charming, it's as simple as that. I look at this gen and Gen V and think "Neat, please continue to improve in this regard."

Regardless of the media, people like things of varying quality all the time, so please get off that high horse.

The stories in Pokemon games are written to be understood by 8-10 year old children. Of course they're not going to super complex.

But I'm someone who more or less has no care at all about story, and heavy story bits in any game, good or bad, generally bore me. I found Gen V's and VII's stories to be enjoyable, not too heavy handed, and fun to follow along with.

Or you have no idea what you're talking about and these posts get it

They are good for Pokémon standards. What we’re saying is we want to see them keep on improving on this front and not go back to simple/non existent stories

Are we really going to act like people can't like "good" stories, and stuff that aren't as "good"? A lot of people found S&M to be charming, it's as simple as that. I look at this gen and Gen V and think "Neat, please continue to improve in this regard."

Regardless of the media, people like things of varying quality all the time, so please get off that high horse.

Its not an improvement to everyone to have twice the script in a game a lot of us thought had too much dialogue. You can have less intrusive, smaller scale plot lines that would benefit the series greatly, kind of like some of the better episodes of the anime, whether its funny or emotional.

The overarching goal of being the best trainer is fine as long as everything in between is charming. Just like its fine for Zelda games to feature ganon and mario games to have bowser.

Macka

The stories in Pokemon games are written to be understood by 8-10 year old children. Of course they're not going to super complex.

But I'm someone who more or less has no care at all about story, and heavy story bits in any game, good or bad, generally bore me.
I'm not expecting (or wanting) a complex story from these games. I'm with you - I'd prefer for the games to return to having simple, near non-existent stories. GameFreak seems intent on making them a focus now though, so that's never going to happen. And if that's the direction they're taking the series...well I'll just have to deal. Ideally they will find a better balance than they did in SM though. I hope they realize that a good chunk of the fanbase didn't love how forced and all-encompassing the story was.

They are good for Pokémon standards. What we're saying is we want to see them keep on improving on this front and not go back to simple/non existent stories

I feel like there's a difference between finding the story of Sun & Moon 'charming' and the genuine praise for it that I often see in these threads. Regardless - I probably was too harsh there. Different strokes for different folks and all of that.

LotusHD

Banned
Most likely they're praising it in comparison to past games, which is entirely fair. Or they just subjectively liked it more than other games they played. Regardless, like you said, really doesn't merit such a response.

PSqueak

Banned
BTW has it been confirmed if trading/battling with Sun and Moon will be possible?

Feels like it has to be in the game but i haven't seen confirmation.

23 years old here. I don't know if that's too young for y'all but I greatly enjoyed the story of Sun and Moon. I hope we get better stories too.

Call me part of the problem if you want.

Top Bottom