• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon US/UM From Famitsu Interview

23 years old here. I don't know if that's too young for y'all but I greatly enjoyed the story of Sun and Moon. I hope we get better stories too.

Call me part of the problem if you want.

I had fun with it too. At least the Lillie side of it. Still felt like the mc was just there and a lot of the events were not really involving me, but I liked Lillie having an actual arc and changing for the better. Pokemon doesn't need an edge lord story just a nice one.

Don't worry about anything Gen 4 and onwards :p
Boo...

Articuno? Mew? Celebi? My boy Ho-Oh?
I had fun with it too. At least the Lillie side of it. Still felt like the mc was just there and a lot of the events were not really involving me, but I liked Lillie having an actual arc and changing for the better. Pokemon doesn't need an edge lord story just a nice one.
Yeah it was basically the Lillie parts that I loved. She really surprised me with her arc. MC must have seen some dark stuff before the game since he never changed emotions that much.

Hopefully US/UM fixes the poor MC.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Boo...

Articuno? Mew? Celebi? My boy Ho-Oh?

Yeah it was basically the Lillie parts that I loved. She really surprised me with her arc. MC must have seen some dark stuff before the game since he never changed emotions that much.

Hopefully US/UM fixes the poor MC.
The MC is supposed to be me though, if they show a smiling MC and I'm really not, it would be messed up.

spad3

Would love a Mexico themed Pokemon...

Lies I just can't wait for mexican food tomorrow night, super rare here

hYTEub6.gif

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Yeah, XY is what we get when the story is kept "simple". 5 seconds of you and your stupid friends visiting a spooky haunted house, then suddenly Ganondorf wants to blow up the region with a superweapon with no buildup.

I would have liked the friends a lot more if they attacked you much more often like the rivals of old and Calem/Serena. Imagine what Gamefreak could do with four recurring rivals! Every new area could be a potential encounter spot!

Oh man I thought you actually liked all of them!

Oops I didn't mean to derail this thread but I am curious now. Which is your favorite Legendary?

Kyogre, the primordial god of the sea!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Its true!

Jirachi? That's cool. I like the little wish maker!

But that's what I said isn't it? The MC didn't display that many emotions at all. Usually he or she looked pretty chill while everyone else was freaking out.
I think you read what I wrote wrong?
I don't want the game to be telling me what I'm supposed to feel, so blankness is the correct way.

Another short interview with Iwai and Ohmori went up: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...uld_all_play_pokemon_ultra_sun_and_ultra_moon

Most of it covers similar ground to the famitsu interview, but this part stuck out to me a bit:
What element of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon do you think will surprise fans the most?

Iwao: There are lots of features and one in particular that I'd love to be able to talk about, but unfortunately I can't right now. Something that's really great is that after you finish the story, there's a big post-story scenario that the players can really get into and enjoy

What I'm wondering is if the postgame story focuses on new locations, or if it mostly revisits previous locations like the Delta Episode.

What I'm wondering is if the postgame story focuses on new locations, or if it mostly revisits previous locations like the Delta Episode.
Zinnia gonna make me go on another quest to clean up her antics that could have easily been avoided if she actually made sense about what she was talking about? Noooooooo! Do your own work Zinnia! I'm not helping you again so you can impress a dead person again.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Ha ha, Ironically though Game Freak are capable of making the player character express some emotion as they managed it in the Hoeen remake.

Though some footage of Ultra Sun and Moon did show some element of it.

Zinnia gonna make me go on another quest to clean up her antics that could have easily been avoided if she actually made sense about what she was talking about? Noooooooo! Do your own work Zinnia! I'm not helping you again so you can impress a dead person again.

Zinnia is unlikely to come back as she is widely hated within the fan base.

Personally I feel sorry for Zinnia as she clearly has some mental problems, probably triggered by the death of her friend/sister.

Crayolan

Notice how the player character has no dad? They left Kanto because they saw their father get brutally murdered right in front of them. Now nothing phases them--they are dead on the inside. All they can do is smile and pretend everything is okay.

23 years old here. I don't know if that's too young for y'all but I greatly enjoyed the story of Sun and Moon. I hope we get better stories too.

Call me part of the problem if you want.

32 here and I loved the vibe, characters and story in Sun and Moon. Was honestly planning on skipping US/UM, but if it's even more story and dialogue heavy, I'll be there day 1.

Zinnia is unlikely to come back as she is widely hated within the fan base.
Wait she is??? I thought it was just me being a grumpy guy. I honestly believed that people liked her. I thought she looked cool until I played the Delta Episode. She kind of annoyed me with what she did until the very end.

Wait Aster was her sister??? I thought it was some person she might have had feelings for OR something.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Notice how the player character has no dad? They left Kanto because they saw their father get brutally murdered right in front of them. Now nothing phases them--they are dead on the inside. All they can do is smile and pretend everything is okay.

What you talking aboot, the player does have a dad, it's the Kanto Meowth...it's why they moved to Alola. ;p

32 here and I loved the vibe, characters and story in Sun and Moon. Was honestly planning on skipping US/UM, but if it's even more story and dialogue heavy, I'll be there day 1.

I am 30 and for years I wanted a female to be the leader of the evil villain and boy did Game Freak delivered with Lusamine, she was so twisted with a tragic story plus she was tough to defeat.

I really look forward to seeing how Sun and Moon flesh her out and how she tries to redeem herself to her children and whether she will be reunited with her Husband.

Pokémon may be a children games but Game Freak is not afraid to tell a story that kids may not understand but their older fans will.

Wait she is??? I thought it was just me being a grumpy guy. I honestly believed that people liked her. I thought she looked cool until I played the Delta Episode. She kind of annoyed me with what she did until the very end.

From what I have heard Japan didn't like her and some people within the fan base don't like her as she tell the player that the gen 6 games did not follow the same timeline as the original gen 1-5 games and was in its own universe and were in denial about it until Sun and Moon post game pretty much confirmed it that Zinnia was in fact telling the truth.

Wait Aster was her sister??? I thought it was some person she might have had feelings for OR something.

Not exactly sure as the game doesn't state it outright but she was Zinnia's presuccessor and was clearly close to Zinnia that they felt like that they were sister.

What you talking aboot, the player does have a dad, it's the Kanto Meowth...it's why they moved to Alola. ;p
Well Meowth DOES sleep on the mom's bed...
I really look forward to seeing how Sun and Moon flesh her out and how she tries to redeem herself to her children and whether she will be reunited with her Husband.
This is my biggest hope with US/UM. I know she's supposed to be the villain but I really hope she redeems herself and sees her husband again. Poor guy is alive and no one knows but the MC him/herself.

Lusamine looks like she's going to have a different role in these new games so I'm eager to see what will happen. I want to know if it's a red herring or is she really a different person.

Toxi

Banned
From what I have heard Japan didn't like her and some people within the fan base don't like her as she tell the player that the gen 6 games did not follow the same timeline as the original gen 1-5 games and was in its own universe and were in denial about it until Sun and Moon post game pretty much confirmed it that Zinnia was in fact telling the truth.
I wonder how much more blatant this is gonna get in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Anabel: "I remember... Something about a frontier of some kind... Kinda like this Battle Gazebo, but a lot bigger and better."

Blame some of the online boards making stupid theories about Pokemon and timeline before ORAS came out, and trying their hardest to force a square peg through a circle hole. I wonder people can't let a series have standalone games, and ALWAYS assume it has to have a timeline.

Toxi

Banned
Blame some of the online boards making stupid theories about Pokemon and timeline before ORAS came out, and trying their hardest to force a square peg through a circle hole. I wonder people can't let a series have standalone games, and ALWAYS assume it has to have a timeline.
There were clear connections between the games before ORAS. Most obvious with the Johto games. There was a clear chronology of the world and we saw things progress.

But the timeline got kinda wonky with the 5th and 6th generations already. And when we have remakes of entire games basically saying "No, this didn't happen, this did", I'm not that concerned with the sanctity of the story.

There were clear connections between the games before ORAS. Most obvious with the Johto games. There was a clear chronology of the world and we saw things progress.

But the timeline got kinda wonky with the 5th and 6th generations already. And when we have remakes of entire games basically saying "No, this didn't happen, this did", I'm not that concerned with the sanctity of the story.

The Johto games were direct sequels so it makes sense, but I would argue it gets vague around Gen III. Johto was dropped as a reference but iirc, the game doesn't really give an idea where Hoenn and Sinnoh fits in the timeline. I think most people were overthinking it when the connective tissue wasn't that substantial.

It's not explicit, but given the implications, FRLG and RSE take place at the same time because the machine you activate on the Sevii Islands allows you to trade with Hoenn. It's not a time machine, so the implication is that they take place within the same time frame. GSC (and by extension HGSS) and DP take place at around the same time because Pearl is inspired to go search the lake with your player character because of the Red Gyarados sighting in Johto. This reference was removed from Platinum for some reason, though.

Everything after that is just hints here and there.

PSqueak

Banned
As i understand it all main line games take place at the same time with the exception of SGC, BW2 and Sun/Moon.

Obviously, Sun and Moon being the end of the time line happening 10 years after RBGY.

Top Bottom