• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Gartooth

Ha, so much for "family sharing" since Microsoft would only let your family member play your game for 1 hour and then expect that person to buy a separate copy. What a load of horse shit, would have been fun to see the reactions had this come out before yesterday's news.

Chaos17

This seems really werid? Why even have an hour limit in the first place then - to get money from lazy people or the uninformed?
It's something that you usually get for example in Bigfish games.
After one hour when it ends you will want or not to buy it and so you have directly the button "buy" on your screen.
Also they probably think that since is one of your friends who "showed" it to you you will be more tempted to buy it too : the power of trust/friendship.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
1 hour of unabridged gameplay which is saved is better than a restricted demo.

Uncharted 3 = 43.5GB File

I'm not DLing and Installing (need another 43.5GB allocation) just so I can try it for 1 fucking hour, it's pointless

What the hell do you think next-gen games were going to be? 5-8 GB's?

Yeah I'll DL Halo 5 @40GB and play for a hour, yeah I hear Halo is something special!

Bandwith caps be damned!

Hung_real

This news just killed any hope i ever had for Xbone and MS.

Maybe will pick it up at the end of this gen, I can't justify spending 500 on this machine atm.

Cutebrute

1. I feel like I've seen posts suggesting that CBoaT's additional bad news was that XBLG was either required or that virtually everything was behind the Gold paywall. I may just be going crazy though.

2. I imagine Gies was right about publishers making agreements with MS for this Family Sharing plan- it's just trials as we have had before, but now they would be very restrictive and only available after a game sale has been made. This is a BS way of getting around those statistics that claim that game demos hurt sales- now no one can play demos without the pubs getting money back, guaranteed!

So what's next, will I only be able to view movie trailers after my friend purchased his movie ticket and preordered his special edition bluray disc?

Fuck this box, and fuck this company. Never again.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

I'm not DLing and Installing (need another 43.5GB allocation) just so I can try it for 1 fucking hour, it's pointless

Yeah I'll DL Halo 5 @40GB and play for a hour, yeah I hear Halo is something special!

Bandwith caps be damned!

Next gen consoles will allow you to play while it's downloading, so it probably make sense

syko de4d

Bandwith caps be damned!

you know ps4 games can be played while they get downloaded (and you can choose between SP and MP download) and there is gaikai too

Ok MS has no features like this but yeahe... mhhh... yeahe you are right when it comes to X1 xD

Next gen consoles will allow you to play while it's downloading, so it probably make sense

is this confirmed for X1?

Soler

Banned
That's the thing. I was one of those thinking it was the good version, because frankly, it was made to sound that way.

Ragging on people who were simply accepting what they were hearing isn't fair (not saying you were).

I'll still miss discless gaming though. That was my number one feature I was looking forward to.
Buy digital
Problem solved

Zebra

No reason for them to drop this, due to dropping DRM, except out of passive aggressive spite.

It really is bizarre. Unless they come out and clarify their reasons or someone here can come up with something logical, spite is the only way I am able to interpret it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
That's the thing. I was one of those thinking it was the good version, because frankly, it was made to sound that way.

Ragging on people who were simply accepting what they were hearing isn't fair (not saying you were).

I'll still miss discless gaming though. That was my number one feature I was looking forward to.
Yeah, it was incredibly misleading. Going back and reading that interview you can see him conveniently side stepping the question with typical shady PR talk. No hard answers. What an ass.

The 'install from retail disc' thing was actually a pretty cool idea (on paper), and I could see where they were going with it or at least they were trying to change things. But they couldn't even explain what the benefits were for their DRM and other measures, instead just saying 'wait and see'. Sorry, that's not how it works when people are putting in pre orders for $500+ consoles. Their obnoxious, arrogant attitude just sealed the deal for a lot of people, me included.

I'm just surprised that in the fallout form the whole thing noone thought - 'ok - let's get our story straight' but instead resorted to more obfuscation and misleading PR speak to smooth things over instead of just being open and honest about what they were doing. I wonder if they even had a company wide understanding of what the Xbone actually is/was. Not once did someone say 'the benefit is X. You will be able to do Y.'

I'm hardly one to be openly trusting of a company anyway - their motivation is money afterall - but MS come off as particularly shady over all this.

Kunan

It really is bizarre. Unless they come out and clarify their reasons or someone here can come up with something logical, spite is the only way I am able to interpret it.
Yea I fail to see any real reason why future owners couldn't, and shouldn't, have this feature. Used games wouldn't open any flood gates here.

KarmaCow

Bandwith caps be damned!

The worst part is that a lot of the bigger games are so huge because of shitty pre-rendered cutscenes. It's annoying as is to download a 10+ GB game on Steam only to find out that over half of it is some horribly compressed 720p video that looks worse than the ingame graphics being rendered at a higher resolution.

Honey Bunny

Microsoft exceeded expectations... in this being something with little to no value whatsoever. I at least thought it would be the ability to lend your library to one other person, who could play a different game from you concurrently.

This glorified demo/marketing scheme... I don't even.

I'm just laughing my ass off at people who thought they'd be able to split the cost of games between 10 people and all play different games simultaneously. People who talked about it being the #gamechanger that made all of the DRM and no real lending, unrestricted resale or gifting. The "this is the future" "get with the times" "this is worth it" people.

Just lol.

And the kicker is that even without all the DRM and restrictions they could still implement this scheme.

Yupp. I have no trouble admitting that if schadenfreude were as caloric as this drink I'm downing right now I'd need multiple bypass surgery after these past few weeks. The game sharing plan was the dangling rope in the sinkhole of anti consumer bullshit that was the Bone's DRM policy, and man did some people latch onto it. And MS couldn't even deliver that.

Nafai1123

Banned
This makes that butt hurt thread about sharing all the more hilarious. I can't believe how many people actually believed Microsoft was going to implement the most restrictive drm we've ever seen while also pulling magical gaming leprechauns out of their ass to allow people to beat the system easier than ever.

demolitio

This is why you never get hyped based on PR statements when they leave out all the drawbacks to deceive people. Their word is as about as good as a 5 year old telling you he didn't eat the cake sitting in front of him even though the cake is gone and he has icing all over his face.

Hard to trust them on anything they say but this sure did make some of the other threads more humorous in retrospect.

jdmonmou

Yeah, it was pretty obvious that the family share "feature" was a pie in the sky dream. If Microsoft went to such lengths to please publishers by placing restrictions on used games, did you really think that they would let you share a complete game with 10 different people? I was skeptical since they didn't do much to really sell it. They could have announced this at E3 on stage to counteract all the negative publicity, but they didn't and now we know why. This feature wasn't a feature at all.

Also why not offer incentives on digital downloads by letting people sample all digital games on Xbox live for an hour? They could still do this if they really cared about taking us to the future. My guess is that they won't because all they cared about was nickel and diming consumers.

MogCakes

The people trying to discredit CBOAT are hilarious. Cry harder!

There's no way this is true. Otherwise, they wouldn't have limited it to one user accessing the shared library at a time.

Hell, they wouldn't limit it to 10 family members. What would be the point? If they're just demos, let your entire friends list access it.

You guys are freaking out about something that isn't true. Anyone with a shred of logical thinking should see this.

Hey, look, it's on pastebin and its written with some degree of competence, it must be true.

Can't believe people actually believe this stuff, but hey I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

The source to this article is pastebin! Are you kidding me people? This is nothing more than some posters stupid story to get attention.

Where's my Prince of Persia CBoaT?

Hey, I loved the Halo trailer but I want a PoP 2008 follow-up!

Special props to Deadly Cyclone for trying to attack CBOAT on one of the very, very few rumors he was wrong on. You get a D for effort.

seanoff

thank god they backtracked and took this out on the way past.

GAF would have melted, literally. the servers would have just been overpowered by vitriol and number of posts.

MS may never have recovered. this is on a whole other level than Sony's 2006 $599, get another job debacle.

GraveRobberX

Talking X1 Wario

I know about PS4 and you can DL sections either MP or SP first and start playing @5-20%

I haven't seen X1 info, I might have missed it

How hilarious would've been, the file hasn't fully DL'ed yet your 1 hour is up LOL

It still took me 1.5 hour to DL Hitman Absolution 17GB on a 150Mb/75mb connection, then 2 hours to install @_@ on my PS3

Cutebrute

I haven't seen X1 info, I might have missed it

How hilarious would've been, the file hasn't fully DL'ed yet your 1 hour is up LOL

This thought has crossed my mind as well lol. At this point, I'm sure the MS response to this would have been: live in US, don't be poor, get better internet, or just get a Xbox 360.

Tratorn

Didn't CBOAT say something like "the restrictions are even worse than we all think" some weeks ago?

So he probably talked about this....

nampad

Totally reasonable.

Yes, I can understand his reason. Still, we will never hear anything from Microsoft.

Other sites praised the gamesharing without knowing the exact rules. Now they can't report on a rumor based on a known insider? I have seen much worse rumors being posted as news.

No reason for them to drop this, due to dropping DRM, except out of passive aggressive spite.
Sweeping it under the rug. Bad press is something MS can't afford right now, and keeping this plan would require detailing it to the media, which would in turn expose how much of a horseshit fest that was their initial vision, which would pretty muh kill all the good press they got from backpedalling.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The people trying to discredit CBOAT are hilarious. Cry harder!

Special props to Deadly Cyclone for trying to attack CBOAT on one of the very, very few rumors he was wrong on. You get a D for effort.

Not to discredit him as he is clearly an insider and knows what he leaks, but he was 'wrong' before on Dead Rising 3 as well. It ended up getting scooped up and took way longer to reveal than he anticipated, which just shows that in the gaming industry a lot can change quickly to even throw insider info off. He said ME3 and PoP were at the MS conference, neither were, and PoP didn't show up at all. But I'm sure it exists like he said.

The xbox one originally WAS always online, then after orth was made 24 hours. So I have no doubt that at one point the game share was 60 minutes, but the vaugeness from MS seems more to me that they were still figuring if they should expand the feature as it was the one thing that people liked the sound of. But it all got dropped now anyway, likely due to preorders.

Jim Sterling said this on twitter.
Won't cover it tell more concert proof in his eyes.

Wow, people are saying this is responsible journalism?

Uh, MS has proven time and time again that "straight from the company mouth" is a bold faced lie.

You want the truth, you go to buttocks.

Thats truthfacts.

If the video game press were "real" journalists, imagine how theyd cover watergate!

"These files are interesting and all, but I think we'll trust the white house pr on this one"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Uh, MS has proven time and time again that "straight from the company mouth" is a bold faced lie.

Thats truthfacts.

It's gaming journalism, man. For most of them, the only reliable facts are what comes in the press release from a company's PR department.

Then again, I rather like Jim Sterling as of late...

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm instantly having flashbacks of all those dumbass images showing the superiority of family sharing over regular sharing/selling. *smacks forehead*

The one last good thing the Xbox One had, that people clung to with dear life by the way, was just a farce. I'm sorry but I can't help but lol

MS was HELLBENT on pissing off everyone.

you know ps4 games can be played while they get downloaded (and you can choose between SP and MP download) and there is gaikai too

Ok MS has no features like this but yeahe... mhhh... yeahe you are right when it comes to X1 xD

is this confirmed for X1?

you can download and play for XB1... it was confirmed.

Thats truthfacts.

If the video game press were "real" journalists, imagine how theyd cover watergate!

"These files are interesting and all, but I think we'll trust the white house pr on this one"

I think it's fair enough for Sterling, because he would want to blow MS the fuck up, but he needs a concrete verification to go down that road. Understandable.

hidys

Thats truthfacts.

I'm not questioning cboat who in this matter is almost certainly correct. But if you are a journalist you need a respectable source. Keep in mind that Jim didn't say that he didn't believe this, just that he wouldn't report it.

Jac_Solar

This is almost the same as PS+ trials, the only difference is that MS was toying with multiple sessions instead of just one 60 minute trial

And intentionally muddied the message to make it appear as if it would come with few restrictions, or that 10 people could play games with no/few restrictions.

Moosehole

I knew there was no way that family sharing stuff was what everyone thought it was going to be.

No way in hell any company would ever let 9 out of ten people who own their system to play games for free.

Shows you how fucked MS PR is though. Blatantly misleading everyone into thinking this policy was way better than it actually was.

AniHawk

see, this is the sort of shit that guarantees microsoft will not see a cent from me this gen. i don't need to fuel their crazy view of the industry.

spookyfish

If this is accurate, then they knew exactly what they were doing by off-handedly mentioning it as they were folding up their E3 tent.

I'm having a hard time knowing what to believe from them anymore. I know most companies try to obfuscate when they're hyping products, and I accept that, but this was beyond the pale for me.

GraveRobberX

you can download and play for XB1... it was confirmed.

Oh OK, so my comments were moot then, I seriously didn't know if this was available or not

I'll take your word on it junior

It would've been ass backwards if those files were the for fucking ever PS3 method

nampad

Not to discredit him as he is clearly an insider and knows what he leaks, but he was 'wrong' before on Dead Rising 3 as well. It ended up getting scooped up and took way longer to reveal than he anticipated, which just shows that in the gaming industry a lot can change quickly to even throw insider info off. He said ME3 and PoP were at the MS conference, neither were, and PoP didn't show up at all. But I'm sure it exists like he said.

The xbox one originally WAS always online, then after orth was made 24 hours. So I have no doubt that at one point the game share was 60 minutes, but the vaugeness from MS seems more to me that they were still figuring if they should expand the feature as it was the one thing that people liked the sound of. But it all got dropped now anyway, likely due to preorders.

Yes, things change all the time. But do you really think a switch from limited trials to full access would have been viable? It just can't be.

I'm not questioning cboat who in this matter is almost certainly correct. But if you are a journalist you need a respectable source. Keep in mind that Jim didn't say that he didn't believe this, just that he wouldn't report it.

Then you write "reports from a highly reputable source who prefers to remain anonymous state that...."

Nakiro

There was no way that 10 people would be allowed to play the same copy of the game, even if not at the same time. That was just ridiculous to assume they were showing all their cards when this came up.

Top Bottom