• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Grinchy

Banned
Pep sucks. I have beat him every time I've played him.

Just don't ask any follow-up questions about this statement.

Soulflarz

Banned
its funny how much you improve in rl

a year and a half ago I was amazed I could do stuff like this, I laugh about how bad this was now. https://gfycat.com/ImprobableNeedyGilamonster

in feb I was amazed I could do stuff like this https://gfycat.com/RecentSelfishGaur
Now I'm just annoyed by how soft that first touch was.

https://gfycat.com/BlackBadEasteuropeanshepherd in march I was shocked at these

even in april (reminder I quit all of may) I was gif'ing this stuff https://gfycat.com/GloriousEmbarrassedBustard

now I can literally get more than half my 1v2 dribbles in against champs and can basically backboard anything consistently- I don't even bother gfying 90% of the things I click save clip on since most 'squishy' shots are kinda getting repetitive for me
it's kinda funny, almost surreal to me since I wouldn't have believed it a few months ago
Kinda wanna grind ranked to find out where I truly am- just took plat 3 guy to champ 1, which my main happens to be at. Still awkward since I can largely 1v2 dribble solely by spacial awareness- people REALLY don't like reaction saving.

played diamond 3s with friend and this is basically it in a nutshell every time https://gfycat.com/AdmiredDelectableGoose

Also diamonds give so much space and it's sooo enjoyable to ruin them off it- fake jump->flick works 99% of the time.

Not really brag post just ridiculously happy with improvement and how it feels. Dribbling and how to beat people of higher ranks (like uhm, I ran into a s3 top...well actually was #1 on leaderboard many times?) and ruined him in dribbles, so
wew

Ball control is so much fun.

Sooo much fun to safely go "oh wow they've given me space" and ruin them without needing to simply hit the ball hard (because lets be honest that doesnt work in a lot of situations besides 'pressure')

like my favorite two of playing offhand on my smurf for an hour and a half were
https://gfycat.com/EmbarrassedLeafyApe (winning 50-50 spot forcing him to panic, light hit to get by, then fake a trash wallhit that's impossible so he thinks he has a free hit and then backflip flick over him after a perfect catch for a great pass)
and https://gfycat.com/MisguidedFatCrownofthornsstarfish (they accidentally gave space after a failed challenge, so I faked an air dribble to make guy 1 think he had to defend backwards and then let it fall to make guy 2 think he had a free hit on the ball, then instaflick)
idk these options are waaay better than strong hits imho

Shot 2 with some freestyling thrown in is me on a good day -_-

On a bad day like today..

tumblr_n91kkbtL4D1trbh6do1_400.gif

Not that it matters since I gotta a leave for a party in a couple hours and have a bottle of jagermeister and a crate of beer to work though, don't think RL was ever gonna be good today lol. No doubt I'll try a game when I get home and spin out immediately.

Gratz though, it is rewarding as all hell feeling that improvement and though I've not come as far having at least some grasp of every mechanic other than ceiling shots (I try damnit) has really had some satisfying results from time to time. I do often wonder if I've plateaued but I guess some are just slower to adapt. At around 1700 hours now but I just drop the game even if I'm not improving XD

Too much fun and too easy to load up for a quick match. You should probably look for a team or something though.

Vyse24

Question: Can I trade from Xbox to PC? Just wondering since I have a bunch of stuff I feel like trading(mostly certified toppers) but about 90% of the people I know who play this play on PC.

Yeah Soulflarz you should just go pro or something.

I finally got back to champ today and got 5 of the wins I need for season rewards. Definitely tougher competition though, especially when I get matched up against champ 2s. Champ 1 div1/2 feels like my hard ceiling right now.

Still kinda hate solo queuing.

Soulflarz

Banned
^id need to do tournaments
And get good

Ask pep- its like 10000x as hard to do mechanics in high pressure situations against top tier players.

Legit my wall clears upside down that require flying straight out are a whole second slower than top tier players or such.

Noobcraft

Working my way up the rankings. Finally got to plat 2.
I can't break Gold III. I got up to division IV then lost a ton of matches and ended up in Gold II division II. Finally got back up to Gold III again today. I don't know how some people do it playing with randoms, some teammates and I just don't click.

I can't break Gold III. I got up to division IV then lost a ton of matches and ended up in Gold II division II. Finally got back up to Gold III again today. I don't know how some people do it playing with randoms, some teammates and I just don't click.
I play pretty much exclusively with randoms. It can be really rough sometimes. I've actually started my games lately with typing "please rotate." because if a team actually rotates correctly it makes a major difference.

I'm Diamond on and off playing alone. It's doable. Just strive for consistency and be confident.

Soulflarz

Banned
^
diamond same as gold but more consistent positioning+strong hits

(after playing with a plat for a week like...50hr or so, I can confirm it's almost all hits- they're prone to hit grounders when a powershot is a free net and a grounder is a free countergoal on you, etc)

So I think I'm getting better at the ground game. I just took a 3v1 in doubles since the guy on my team decided to play against me and came out on top 6-2 by just dribbling it round them and doing long powerful flicks to the top corner net. I really need to work more of this into my game. Just exposes so many weaknesses for so many players.

^
diamond same as gold but more consistent positioning+strong hits

(after playing with a plat for a week like...50hr or so, I can confirm it's almost all hits- they're prone to hit grounders when a powershot is a free net and a grounder is a free countergoal on you, etc)

This is truth. High(er) level play involves a lot of aerials, counter-aerials, and knowing when to powershot. What's funny, though, is that the skill level in Plat 2 range is so hit and miss that you will often find they are more challenging than diamond 1 ranks.

Soulflarz

Banned
This is truth. High(er) level play involves a lot of aerials, counter-aerials, and knowing when to powershot. What's funny, though, is that the skill level in Plat 2 range is so hit and miss that you will often find they are more challenging than diamond 1 ranks.

As both pep and I have said, we have literally 0 idea how to play with diamonds or below, it's so hit or miss

Then again don't ask me I'm only playing 2s with tizz nowadays (1300 MMR, champ 1-4 atm?) and we just sit on the ceiling as back man for the lols.

As both pep and I have said, we have literally 0 idea how to play with diamonds or below, it's so hit or miss

Then again don't ask me I'm only playing 2s with tizz nowadays (1300 MMR, champ 1-4 atm?) and we just sit on the ceiling as back man for the lols.

Nice.

I find myself (largely in part due to your influence) calling out [Go for it!] so damn much lately. I just need to find two consistent players in the Plat 3 - Diamond 2 range and stick with them, methinks. Go into party chat and have at it...

Soulflarz

Banned
Finally threw together old (and mostly new?) clips. I'm sure I've posted half of these here before.

Avoided posting boring baits/flicks/tornado flicks/ w/e, because at diamond-champ 3 (where these were gotten) I can literally reaction flick it in every single time, so...yeah congrats you got a tornado flick on whats basically an empty net.

So yeah this is just my 'interesting' or favorite shots video, lel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vVGZdt2a8&feature=youtu.be

Double touches are getting REALLY boring on open nets.

edit: pep teach me to get faster so I can actually get good situations set up for my insane conversion rate :V

Finally threw together old (and mostly new?) clips. I'm sure I've posted half of these here before.

Avoided posting boring baits/flicks/tornado flicks/ w/e, because at diamond-champ 3 (where these were gotten) I can literally reaction flick it in every single time, so...yeah congrats you got a tornado flick on whats basically an empty net.

So yeah this is just my 'interesting' or favorite shots video, lel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vVGZdt2a8&feature=youtu.be

Double touches are getting REALLY boring on open nets.

edit: pep teach me to get faster so I can actually get good situations set up for my insane conversion rate :V
Good stuff. :)

That last shot was nuts, no idea how you got that angle.

Courage

Is there a RLGAF discord? I've been playing on PC and was looking for more people to play with since I mostly play on Xbox, where I vary high Plat/low Diamond.

Is there a RLGAF discord? I've been playing on PC and was looking for more people to play with since I mostly play on Xbox, where I vary high Plat/low Diamond.

I don't think you'll find many people on GAF devoted to RL enough to populate a third party chat service, tbh. I use Discord to find rare trades here and there. Maybe join a general RL Discord server and you can hope for some better luck.

Top Bottom