• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

Presently at 41 keys with an 'investment' of about 20 keys. With ~5 keys or so worth of inventory I could sell.

Yea, I can definitely see why the "market" is the way it is. It's somewhat of a rush. Buying an item 1-2 keys below "true market value" and flipping it 5 minutes later. It makes you feel a bit dirty, but damn it, the small high is too good. Of course, this is small fry compared to the dudes who buy and sell Zombas, Dracos, etc. It's wild out there, folks. It does suck, though, that trading is now "how much profit can I make?" rather than "wow, those wheels are cool. I'll trade you my cool wheels for yours!" :/

But I have no room to speak.

Noobcraft

I traded away 24 crates on Xbox for some wheels because I hate having them in my inventory lol. I'm pretty sure we both left happy, though I wouldn't be surprised if the person I traded made out like a bandit on the trade.

This new reward system is bad for my health. I don't care too much about rank but I have to get those champ end of season rewards and I'm stuck at 10/12 wins. Dropped all the way to diamond 2 and now I'm at diamond 3 div 3. Congrats Psyonix, you found a new way to hook me on the grind! As if the game itself wasn't enough...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can you get goal explosions as random drops? I only have the standard in a few different colors. Are all the cool ones in crates?

Remember when you could get cool stuff without gambling your money (and getting useless shit 99% of the time)? Man, I fucking hate crates. I've bought 10 keys or something, and got fuck all from any of them. Done with that trash.

If they had an actual in-game market for this shit I wouldn't be as mad. But the way it is now it only makes RL a worse game.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This game has the worst match making I've ever experienced - even worse than Battlefield games.

How is it possible to be constantly paired up the with players who have no idea how to play, score on their own net, ball chase, all rush to faceoff, don't defend, crash into teammates, and constantly quit. Etc.

Sometimes I want to strangle the developers...

Can you get goal explosions as random drops? I only have the standard in a few different colors. Are all the cool ones in crates?

Remember when you could get cool stuff without gambling your money (and getting useless shit 99% of the time)? Man, I fucking hate crates. I've bought 10 keys or something, and got fuck all from any of them. Done with that trash.

If they had an actual in-game market for this shit I wouldn't be as mad. But the way it is now it only makes RL a worse game.
Yeah, all four non-standard goal explosions are from the new crate.

Opening crates is a waste of money most of the time, like you said. It's sad but it is what it is. The best way to get stuff is to trade for it but that's not ideal either, which you also mentioned. The problem is a lot of the really cool stuff is outrageously expensive.

I have accepted the crate system as a necessary evil to support this great game but it is a bummer sometimes. I still wish I could earn keys by playing somehow.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Opening crates is a waste of money most of the time, like you said. It's sad but it is what it is. The best way to get stuff is to trade for it but that's not ideal either, which you also mentioned. The problem is a lot of the really cool stuff is outrageously expensive.

I have accepted the crate system as a necessary evil to support this great game but it is a bummer sometimes. I still wish I could earn keys by playing somehow.

Yeah, if they had something like one key for every 10 or 20 ranked wins or whatever. Then you'd at least have a tiny chance to get cool stuff without blowing real money on useless crap. It would also give people an incentive to actually play well instead of standing motionless and spamming "TRADE". And those who want to get their bling faster (and without having to be good at the game) can still pay for it. The current state, again, is shit.

Alternatively, make the crates not contain 80% trash. If I could open a crate knowing that I would get something cool, just not which cool thing, I'd be happy to pay for it. Now, as I said, the money I've spent on keys has been an utter waste.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
How is it I win 3 games and my division does nothing - sits there. Lose 1 and immediately down?

Fuck this game.

I mean, you can trade your crates for keys for the most part. Even now you can trade the old ones in bulk, but when a crate is new, especially, you can usually trade for keys 1:1.

So my advice is try to play a fair amount when new crates drop and sell, sell, sell as soon as you can.

I mean, you can trade your crates for keys for the most part. Even now you can trade the old ones in bulk, but when a crate is new, especially, you can usually trade for keys 1:1.

So my advice is try to play a fair amount when new crates drop and sell, sell, sell as soon as you can.
Yeah I've been doing this since the beginning. Never spent money on keys and I have a decent inventory. Good luck trading enough crates for something like a good goal explosion though, heh.

The most expensive item I've traded for was my heatwave which I paid 15 keys for I think. Took a long time to accumulate that many keys just from trading crates.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I've never done any trading (so I have a fuuuckton of crates I will never open since I refuse to buy a single more worthless key), but I'm assuming I have to find people who have what I want and want what I have on some external site, add them as friends on PSN (or can you just invite by name maybe?), find a time when you'll both be online, party up, and then do the trade? What a fucking chore. And I don't really want to be one of those people who spam "TRADE" in every match.

Like I said, if there was an easy to use in-game market for this I'd give it a go, but this shit I just can't bother with. It's amazing how Psyonix added this horrible crate system without providing any real way to do the trading. Unless they only intended you to trade with friends. Lol. I really hate how all cool stuff is in crates now. Let me just outright buy the damn car bodies and wheels and shit! I'd happily support Psyonix that way, just as I have with premium cars before. But I can't, and I'm not wasting any more money on a 5% chance of getting what I actually want, so instead they get NO money from me.

I've never done any trading (so I have a fuuuckton of crates I will never open since I refuse to buy a single more worthless key), but I'm assuming I have to find people who have what I want and want what I have on some external site, add them as friends on PSN (or can you just invite by name maybe?), find a time when you'll both be online, party up, and then do the trade? What a fucking chore. And I don't really want to be one of those people who spam "TRADE" in every match.

Like I said, if there was an easy to use in-game market for this I'd give it a go, but this shit I just can't bother with. It's amazing how Psyonix added this horrible crate system without providing any real way to do the trading. Unless they only intended you to trade with friends. Lol. I really hate how all cool stuff is in crates now. Let me just outright buy the damn car bodies and wheels and shit! I'd happily support Psyonix that way, just as I have with premium cars before. But I can't, and I'm not wasting any more money on a 5% chance of getting what I actually want, so instead they get NO money from me.
It's actually really easy.

www.rl-trades.com or https://rocket-league.com/trading
Set it to PS4
In the 'Have' field, put Crates or put the specific series of crate(s) you have.
In the 'Want' field either put keys (easiest) or the specific item you want.
You'll see many matches pop up. Click in the offer, you'll see the PSN name of the person looking to trade, and simply invite them to your in-game party.

It doesn't take much effort tbh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's actually really easy.

www.rl-trades.com or https://rocket-league.com/trading
Set it to PS4
In the 'Have' field, put Crates or put the specific series of crate(s) you have.
In the 'Want' field either put keys (easiest) or the specific item you want.
You'll see many matches pop up. Click in the offer, you'll see the PSN name of the person looking to trade, and simply invite them to your in-game party.

It doesn't take much effort tbh.

Ok, thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot. How do I know what's a fair price though? 4xoverdrive crate for a key, for example. I have no idea.

Ok, thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot. How do I know what's a fair price though? 4xoverdrive crate for a key, for example. I have no idea.
Usually I'll go to that second site Khalifa linked and just search for the item with "I have this item" selected. You can quickly scan the first page of trades to get an idea what an item is going for, especially if it's something common like a crate. At the end of the day value is most important to you. Do you mind giving away four crates for a key? Do you mind paying x keys for y item? That sort of thing. I agree that an in-game marketplace would be ideal but it's really not too bad of a system to deal with.

If you have anything you think might be really valuable you might want to ask around first. I'm sure we could help you out if you're curious about anything.

MUnited83

For you.

No need to open any crates all. Trade them for keys, and use keys to trade for whatever you want. Gambling isn't required.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My God, the new find match UI is so fucking broken. If you start a new search for a match right after finishing one (as you do), but it doesn't find one until you get kicked from the server after the countdown, the UI completely stops working. "Find match" doesn't bring up the dialog again, so all you can do is wait and hope for the best. If you then get stuck trying to join a server or something (which just happened to me) there's nothing you can do. You can't cancel and search again, you're just fucked. AFAIK the only thing you can do is restart the game.

Not only did they mess up a perfectly fine and smooth UI for no good reason - the new one is both less intuitive, more cumbersome, and that DAMN LAG before the Options button becomes responsive - but they didn't even bother testing it properly.

Usually I'll go to that second site Khalifa linked and just search for the item with "I have this item" selected. You can quickly scan the first page of trades to get an idea what an item is going for, especially if it's something common like a crate. At the end of the day value is most important to you. Do you mind giving away four crates for a key? Do you mind paying x keys for y item? That sort of thing. I agree that an in-game marketplace would be ideal but it's really not too bad of a system to deal with.

If you have anything you think might be really valuable you might want to ask around first. I'm sure we could help you out if you are curious about anything.

Alright, thanks.

Started playing about a week ago and having an absolute blast. My win ratio is only like 40% but even when I'm losing I'm having a fantastic time.

Managing a goal is so satisfying. Every time.

Playing with friends is the most fun I've had in years. It's funny how much I still suck and yet, compared to last week I'm amazing. Still so far to go. Got a hilarious 2 second goal today.

https://youtu.be/4taLAZjDVds

I get so much joy from beating shittalkers. Especially when they start talking shit when they're up 3-0. Like my random and I never said a word to them. Then I find out I'm a pussy faggot. My mate ties it up with 7 seconds left and we win in OT. And of course they bust out 1 second after our winner.

Started playing about a week ago and having an absolute blast. My win ratio is only like 40% but even when I'm losing I'm having a fantastic time.

Managing a goal is so satisfying. Every time.

Playing with friends is the most fun I've had in years. It's funny how much I still suck and yet, compared to last week I'm amazing. Still so far to go. Got a hilarious 2 second goal today.

https://youtu.be/4taLAZjDVds
You have no idea how much better you can get. I was actually watching some old saved replays earlier and some of the shit I did back then was just plain terrible

RoadHazard

Gold Member
FUCKING STUCK ON JOINING AGAIN. No way out except restarting the game. Fix your broken fucking UI, Psyonix.

I'm worried about this game. I feel like Psyonix is more concerned about making items for their little crate scam than making sure the basic game works correctly.

Damn so I switch back to the octane after using the mantis for months and I'm just a whole Other player. Think I'm on a 9 game win streak in doubles.

Soulflarz

Banned
Learning 99% of the time diamonds have no idea how to play second man.

Kinda wanna upload a replay where I made a few minor errors and show what to do and not to do in response to them.

Why? Cause I think it's important to learn what to do when someone doesn't get a great touch- usually, the answer is DON'T GO. However, people...tend to go anyways.

Went 4-1 with a diamond 3 friend but last game all 4 goals were solo goals effectively (1 kronovi backboard redirect continuing off me making a questionable decision and then 3 1v2 goals)

Noting it because this is how I learned- I didn't watch pros maime pros, since that only taught me how to play top 200s. Instead, I wanna say I learned proper rotation by watching road to gcs and soloqueue such- seeing what pros did in awful situations- since unless your lobby is a "good lobby", you're going to have bad situations showing up. And yes, I do make some mistakes in this :p

Soulflarz

Banned
k did...iffy analysis from my perspective and his, will rewatch or redo tomorrow with proper things :V uploading now but longish

questionableness at times, I wasn't the best because 1 shot @ 3am, etc.
BUT I did go over the key parts of defense and not creating panic situations and not doing awful habits that most diamonds DO have. It'll probably help you on some level there. The key thing is rotating far post and NOT JUMPING ON MISSED SHOTS AS LAST MAN FROM BAD ANGLES. Also- when it's your turn to go, stop hesitating, it never helps and only fakes your back man. If you think you're front man incorrectly, stick with your decision. Faking your teammate into bad positioning is a worse idea than getting called a ballchaser in a single situation.

probably was slow as f to pep because he actually plays proper rl unlike me :p

description has some things I did wrong and didn't inherently note, but ye, might help people who are confused in diamond with most mechanics- notice good positioning leads to good hits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfcrEykMg8&feature=youtu.be

Edit: stuff to look for- what I do on complete misses, what my teammate does on complete misses, what we do on bad touches, what the end results of these things are, and most importantly- why we got scored on. Not why we scored usually, since most of my goals aren't "viable" in diamond 3 level of car control.

RefigeKru

Banned
3sFcwXJ.png

I think I'm actually done with Rocket League now, I love it but I honestly only get matched with someone who isn't as good as me by a long shot (and I don't even mind!), someone who calls me a noob the second I don't do what they want me to do or someone who instantly calls me a noob before the game even starts and doesn't want to play.

It's a shame because when I play with someone I feel I have a good rapport with and is near my skill level, it's amazing win or lose. But this shit, had enough.

Apparently my win streak for doubles is 2.

2! I've played 500+ games.

Soulflarz

Banned
Ehhh, see how you can improve, unless youre bubble level you probably have a key flaw still.

Theres a reason pros can carry all their games :p

RefigeKru

Banned
Ehhh, see how you can improve, unless youre bubble level you probably have a key flaw still.

Theres a reason pros can carry all their games :p

Absolutely.

I know my main flaw is air control, particularly from the walls like your gifs above. My ground game is legit however and I'm a team player. Sometimes you set up a pass and the other player doesn't go for it, that's okay, sometimes I'll get a set up and whiff or won't bury a crucial chance, that's okay.

It's just that everyone is a dickhead now, completely drained my will to play. Same reason I don't play Overwatch anymore.

Soulflarz

Banned
Absolutely.

I know my main flaw is air control, particularly from the walls like your gifs above. My ground game is legit however and I'm a team player. Sometimes you set up a pass and the other player doesn't go for it, that's okay, sometimes I'll get a set up and whiff or won't bury a crucial chance, that's okay.

It's just that everyone is a dickhead now, completely drained my will to play. Same reason I don't play Overwatch anymore.

ignore them and improve to the point where you're a hard carry tbh.

Ignore the average idiot- even grandmasters in OW don't know what they're talking about, so largely there aren't people to discuss optimal gameplay with unless you're watching pros :p

3sFcwXJ.png

I think I'm actually done with Rocket League now, I love it but I honestly only get matched with someone who isn't as good as me by a long shot (and I don't even mind!), someone who calls me a noob the second I don't do what they want me to do or someone who instantly calls me a noob before the game even starts and doesn't want to play.

It's a shame because when I play with someone I feel I have a good rapport with and is near my skill level, it's amazing win or lose. But this shit, had enough.

Apparently my win streak for doubles is 2.

2! I've played 500+ games.
Lol

YhTn9yD.jpg

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
Absolutely.

What's your rank/platform? If you're on PS4, I'd be down to play with you sometime as it sounds like we have similar mindsets. PSN ID is Ev_Rock if you're interested (or anyone else really around Plat levels on PS4).

This game has the worst match making I've ever experienced - even worse than Battlefield games.

How is it possible to be constantly paired up the with players who have no idea how to play, score on their own net, ball chase, all rush to faceoff, don't defend, crash into teammates, and constantly quit. Etc.

Sometimes I want to strangle the developers...

you're not constantly being matched with those players, you just don't notice it when those players are on the other team

What's your rank/platform? If you're on PS4, I'd be down to play with you sometime as it sounds like we have similar mindsets. PSN ID is Ev_Rock if you're interested (or anyone else really around Plat levels on PS4).
Add me.

RJN

I am anywhere from Platinum 3 to Diamond 2 depending on how my say has been going.

ZeroSuitSheamus

Neo Member
Add me.

RJN

I am anywhere from Platinum 3 to Diamond 2 depending on how my say has been going.

Will do. Highest I've ever been is Plat 3 for about three games, so sounds like you're a bit ahead of me skill-wise. But I'm still up for some games at some point--always good to have folks to party with to avoid the roller coaster that is solo queuing, haha.

RefigeKru

Banned
Don't misunderstand guys I'm not saying I should win every game or I'm hot shit pro >_<;

I'm tired of the community s'all. I'll add you Sheamus, pls b excited

Sorry for my ignorance, but I want to know how much is the fair value for the items (PC): ghost, fuzzy skull and netherworld. I did a little research in some trade sites but I don't sure... Thanks for any information on this

Top Bottom