• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Interesting idea for trackpad gameplay, thanks! I'll try it. For some reason I never considered turning off trackpad delay to make it work well, that's definitely the issue I had.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is it still worth getting a Pro 4 or a Book off of a site like Swappa? Has MS fixed all the issues this thing was facing earlier in it's life? I want a good device for comics, drawing, emulators, Office, and possibly some CAD work.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
dude it's great

But the issues surrounding the product at launch are fixed? I bought a Pro 4 a while back but returned it due to the "wake from sleep", blue screen, pen errors, battery issues, etc. I'm assuming they've fixed it?

And is it "safe" to buy one of these from a place like Swappa?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Soooo...when we getting Pro 5?
Every time this thread is bumped Im hoping it's an announcment.

From the rumors I've read people are saying announcement in march. Apparently MS discounted the pro 4 and book earlier this month. Leading some to speculate that the new models were coming soon.

Im so ready for a surface book 2, as long as I can shove 32gb of ram in it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
There was a march event rumor last year. But March is here and no one got anything yet. Listening to Paul thurott and Sam, they dont even mention it. I dont know whats going on.

Futureman

The one guy from the Verge seemed to have inside info on the SP4/SB announcement last time (Tom Warren). So maybe follow him on Twitter. I haven't come across any rumors lately but it has been awhile.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I've been doing a fair amount of basic graphic design work at my job lately and although I'm currently ok with the laptop I am using I have always been interested in the Surface Pro.

I am entertaining an excuse to purchase one and I'm curious if anyone uses their Surface solely for work and if they do any design and autocad work on it and looking for feedback on it.

Dinjooh

I've been doing a fair amount of basic graphic design work at my job lately and although I'm currently ok with the laptop I am using I have always been interested in the Surface Pro.

I am entertaining an excuse to purchase one and I'm curious if anyone uses their Surface solely for work and if they do any design and autocad work on it and looking for feedback on it.

I have been using both a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface book for design work, using primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects, Premiere, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D and 3DCoat.

I also have several colleagues who use one as their work-at-home PC for whenever they're not at the office.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have been using both a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface book for design work, using primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects, Premiere, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D and 3DCoat.

I also have several colleagues who use one as their work-at-home PC for whenever they're not at the office.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

What specs are the ones you're using for this stuff? Trying to weigh all the options.

Dinjooh

What specs are the ones you're using for this stuff? Trying to weigh all the options.

The Pro 4 was an i5 8gb ram, and the Surface Book was an i5 dGPU.

But your experience will vary extremely as there's a lot of programs and they all stress the machine in different ways.

The 3D stuff wasn't enjoyable on the Pro 4. It was tolerable on the Book.

Both machines handles Illustrator and Indesign with ease. Photoshop depending on what you do. I found that documents with very large number of artboards and tons of layers tend to bog them both down. But hey, they bog down my desktop work pc as well at times.

The biggest issue with the Book was for me, that I couldn't connect an external GPU to it, which would make it perfect to bring to work as well.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think that the Surface Pro 5 may be in my future. I believe that it is coming, based on rumors and with my educator discount, it may make for an inexpensive purchase, all things considered.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think that the Surface Pro 5 may be in my future. I believe that it is coming, based on rumors and with my educator discount, it may make for an inexpensive purchase, all things considered.

I'm very, very happy with my 4, so I won't be upgrading, though I do wonder what they will improve on it. More power, of course, but I wonder if the design will change substantially.

Paganmoon

Latest update broke touch on my device, I think I'm done. Great hardware ruined by rubbish software stability.

Really? how so? The software was pretty rubbish the first 6 months, but I haven't had any major issues in a very long time with the SP4.

You sure your problems aren't hardware related? maybe get an RMA?

Kysen

Really? how so? The software was pretty rubbish the first 6 months, but I haven't had any major issues in a very long time with the SP4.

You sure your problems aren't hardware related? maybe get an RMA?
I'm on my second device already. The first had sleep of death, this one has only had a problem waking twice in 8+months. However every now and then the touch driver crashes requiring me to attach the keyboard to restart and then it works again.

I just cant deal with the bugs anymore. What is even more alarming is that I'm currently using it as a glorified ipad. It sits on my bed and I use it to watch YT every night to sleep. Such a simple use case to totally break down.

Latest update broke touch on my device, I think I'm done. Great hardware ruined by rubbish software stability.

I don't even think the hardware is great. Simple youtube watching turns my i7 model into an aircraft turbine and I also got a replacement model.

Paganmoon

I'm on my second device already. The first had sleep of death, this one has only had a problem waking twice in 8+months. However every now and then the touch driver crashes requiring me to attach the keyboard to restart and then it works again.

I just cant deal with the bugs anymore. What is even more alarming is that I'm currently using it as a glorified ipad. It sits on my bed and I use it to watch YT every night to sleep. Such a simple use case to totally break down.

I had tons of problems with the device not waking up correctly, both docked and undocked, or not being able to wake external screens up through the dock. Or Windows Hello failing to start properly, requiring a reboot. But all those issues were solved with firmware and driver updates during the first 6 months I had the device I think.
Not had those issues since.

Edit: My i7 SP4 also goes into turbine mode at times if browsing youtube or other media heavy sites on Edge. Haven't really thought about it since I installed ad-blocker, but I'm guessing it's still the same.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Surface Pro 5
=
Ryzen CPU (probably 15~25W quad core with 8 threads)
+
4K display
+
Win 10 Creators update
???

That along with the new dual protocol Wacom pen would make the SP5 the best content creation tablet EVAR. Hope they offer a 32GB RAM option.

That's not the rumor mill. That's your febrile mind.

AMD for Sp5 would be a giant wat

In initial thought, yes, but with the fact that Intel can't seems to offer a quad core i5 or i7 under 35W makes it a no brainer for AMD to slide in and steal that shit. I'm personally tired of paying over 1K for dual core Intel CPU tablets. Same goes triple for AWESOME CONTENT CREATION BLAH BLAH Wacom Mobile Studio Pros.

Ryzen offering 8 core i7-6900K competitor for half the price and 2/3 of the TDP makes this rumor more than just an amusing thought.

I'm waiting for Surface pro 5. when are they gonna announce it?

Same thing. I have an old MacBook Air and a Windows computer for work, but thinking about ditching Apple all together and moving to Surface. I think iPhone connectivity and iTunes with Windows computers is suppose to work just fine these days? If anyone has any experience on that I would like to hear about it.

Maximo

Initially yes, but with the fact that Intel can't seems to offer a quad core i5 or i7 under 35W makes it a no brainer for AMD to slide in and steal that shit. I'm personally tired of paying over 1K for dual core Intel CPU tablets. Same goes triple for AWESOME CONTENT CREATION BLAH BLAH Wacom Mobile Studio Pros.

Ryzen offering 8 core i7-6900K competitor for half the price and 2/3 of the TDP makes this rumor more than just an amusing thought.

Hopefully cheaper, Surface Pro line is expensive AF in Australia same with the competitors.

Well AMD is sponsoring the movie so...

Also, MS is desperate to move on from dual core CPUs in both Surface Pro and Surface Book.

Not officially no.

I hope this is true but I highly doubt it, they could've just used the tablet portion of a Surface Book in that video just to get the look they wanted. If this was true I'd expect to see a Microsoft logo somewhere in there but it looks like they've purposefully hidden it.

gamz

Brian Hall‏ @IsForAt Mar 26

Boy, I know surface stuff I can't share. I keep being asked. But I hope you respect I won't. It's just right not to. But it is the sht.

Protein

Banned
I bought a sp4 recently. Started working on an essay and ran Scrivener and Word, then started seeing a bit of 3-second lag-hitches every now and then. 4gb ram model, is this normal?

Arttemis

I bought a sp4 recently. Started working on an essay and ran Scrivener and Word, then started seeing a bit of 3-second lag-hitches every now and then. 4gb ram model, is this normal?

I've never experienced anything like that on my 8GB i5 model using software like Solidworks and massive excel spreadsheets (multiple worksheets with thousands of data points, VBA-based equations, and dozens of graphs).

gamz

dock

I've had about 18 happy months of surface ownership now. I continue to carry it to work every day and I often draw with Clip Studio Paint at lunchtimes. I haven't used my laptop since getting it. Lots of photos of my Surface Pro 4 on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/dockydraws/

I get the occasional input hiccup on my 4GB RAM SP4, but I never thought much of it. Are you using anything greedy like Chrome? I had problems until I switched to Opera for all of my SP4 browsing.

btrboyev

AMD if they have a mobile chipset ready wouldn't be a bad idea. They could get more better dedicated graphics for cheaper I think.

AMD if they have a mobile chipset ready wouldn't be a bad idea. They could get more better dedicated graphics for cheaper I think.

The reason to switch to AMD won't be for better GPU (dedicated is out of the question for tablet like SP5 anyways). It's to get more cores on the CPU without jumping to 35~45W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom