• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Hesemonni

Banned
Just found this solo project from the Enshine singer. It's the debut album.

id67V5U.png

https://coldinsight.bandcamp.com/album/further-nowhere-2
https://open.spotify.com/album/5yCEz6Hk9NlkQdTq3ed34t

Awesome Atmospheric Doom/Post-Metal album.
Thanks for the heads up! Kinda reminds me of Slumber's sublime Fallout album. Good stuff.

A band called KÂHLD released their debut album, "No Fertile Ground For Seeds" earlier this year and I like it a lot.

It's got a lot of unconventional sounds for black metal, such as a fucking sax(!) that surprised me but it's got a great element of atmosphere to it with how it's played and recorded and not over-used either.

Same goes for some of its chords and other sounds, it's still got that black metal sound but it attempts and succeeds in making their own new sound of an extension to the black metal sound without exaggeration.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-ODb778SM
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/3W1MPLbODHpUqk2CFzhWPD
Bandcamp: https://kahld.bandcamp.com/album/no-fertile-ground-for-seeds

uMzuVe9.jpg

Danzig is playing How The Gods Kill in full at Riot Fest

Dreams becoming reality

That should be pretty awesome, dude.

I'm seeing and this is decidedly not metal, Xiu Xiu play the Music of Twin Peaks next Thursday then seeing Pallbearer the following Tuesday,

Should dust out the mental cobwebs at the very least.

Also the first 30 seconds or so of this is the most desolate shit ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP76MMW6yWo

Couple of vinyl pick ups.

Inverloch - Distance/Collapsed
Remnants of the old obscure sounding death metal band diSEMBOWELMENT reformed as Inverloch. Just as weird...except slower and heavier.

Kerasphorous - Compilation
Pete Helmkamp/J. Read worship. Bestial war spooky as fuck death/black metal.

And since Mezzo Forte posted his Morbid Angel pick up:
My Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness collection. All original first pressings from the UK. Have a couple of t-shirts from that era somewhere.

My Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness collection. All original first pressings from the UK. Have a couple of t-shirts from that era somewhere.

That totally sparked a 28 year old memory for me. i remember tripping out over the cassette insert back then. Was 14 and was one of my first dm tapes.

O0EzCKs.jpg

Couple of vinyl pick ups.

Inverloch - Distance/Collapsed
Remnants of the old obscure sounding death metal band diSEMBOWELMENT reformed as Inverloch. Just as weird...except slower and heavier.

Kerasphorous - Compilation
Pete Helmkamp/J. Read worship. Bestial war spooky as fuck death/black metal.

And since Mezzo Forte posted his Morbid Angel pick up:

woohoo. I have the separate Kerasphorus albums on vinyl already but still want that comp, really cool artwork. This project had so much goddamn potential.

very nice Altars stuff. Total band/album worship always makes for cool posts. Phrases like "this is one of my favorite albums of all time" have lost their meaning to me. Show me.

Ravager61

I haven't heard Formulas in ages, can't remember. Gateways is solid though.
The correct answer is always Altars, though

Altars is my favorite DM album of all time so no argument there. I've just been revisiting and rediscovering these 2 albums this week. They are both great but I can't decide which one I like more. Right now I lean towards Formulas because I like the production more and I think it's a little weirder and more interesting I guess. Gateways is fucking great too though. I'm not sure the Tucker era gets enough love.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Re-listening to Formulas now. It's OK, but it's not really grabbing me much. I think Gateways was stronger. But I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. The first 3 are all better than both anyway. ;)

I used to prefer Gateways to Formulas, but lately I've been way into Formulas. More variation in tempos, way more blasting. The ultra lurching nature of Gateways rules though

Altars is of course the easy winner, but I prefer G and F to the rest of the Vincent albums

I think Oceanborn is the best.

Floor is a better lead than Tarja was. I wasn't super impressed with her when I saw them in a tiny club in Seattle. Floor is the best in that scene: much more versatile and understands how to be a frontwoman.

Still, I don't think EFMB is quite as good. Their next album will probably beat it in my eyes.

Anette was okay but I'm glad she's gone.

I kind of hope Tuomas tones down the theatrics on the next album but there's no way in hell that will happen.

I think Oceanborn is the best.

Floor is a better lead than Tarja was. I wasn't super impressed with her when I saw them in a tiny club in Seattle. Floor is the best in that scene: much more versatile and understands how to be a frontwoman.

Still, I don't think EFMB is quite as good. Their next album will probably beat it in my eyes.

Anette was okay but I'm glad she's gone.

I kind of hope Tuomas tones down the theatrics on the next album but there's no way in hell that will happen.

Really? For me Nightwish's over the top, baroque theatricality is why they're such a joy to listen to.

Really? For me Nightwish's over the top, baroque theatricality is why they're such a joy to listen to.

I think I'll be happy with whatever they release as long as Floor is singing on it. I just think it would be interesting to have a change of pace and something more raw like their first three albums.

Are Nile still around? Still doing the Egyptian theme?

I think I like In Their Darkened Shrines best out of their first three albums. Ramses Bringer of War is probably my favourite song by them though. Anything I've listened to since then has been utterly forgetful.

Top Bottom