• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 ships over 2 million copies

ChouGoku

This is the only Tekken I haven't bought. I probably will down the line but its so odd how I'm not interested like I used to be, I was a Tekken fanatic.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This is the only Tekken I haven't bought. I probably will down the line but its so odd how I'm not interested like I used to be, I was a Tekken fanatic.

I feel you, kind of. I followed Tekken 7's unprecedentedly long arcade release closely, but I grew skeptical of the game as the console release drew near. In the end, I was disappointed with the final package, and chose not to buy it, which really sucked after waiting all that time. I'm still holding off until the content is up to snuff and I can get a version that has the season pass included, but I find myself tempted whenever the vanilla game goes on sale. When I read of the game doing well, I have mixed feelings. I love the series and I want it to thrive, of course, but I come into conflict with a lot of the decisions they made with Tekken 7, so for this game to be the one that sells well worries me that they might double down on those decisions in the future, reinforced by financial success.

decisions

Tekken 7 is the best fighting game I have ever played.

Happy to hear this. Just hope the series doesn't lose its roots, if you ask me Tekken 7 is a perfect mix of the core fighting with modern fighting game elements. Wouldn't like to see any more of those pushed in, such a good balance rn.

Audioserf

Fighting game events themselves are (or were in the past, anyway) designed to be completely self-sustainable -- generally the venue fees paid would go directly into paying for the venue and other production costs.

As for how Namco can front the production and marketing budgets to begin with? You should go take a look at how much money their Dragonball or Idolmaster mobile games make. :V

And I think they're making more from the sponsorship than you may realize. Going off the leaked Capcom presentation for the CPT pitch for MvCI, the top sponsorship spots are going for millions of dollars. Fighting game tournaments generally do decent numbers on Twitch even if the day-to-day numbers tend to be anemic.

It's good to hear - I've been watching and enjoying pretty much all of the premier CPT events and there tends to be some overlap with Tekken Master's events happening at the same venue at the same time. Hopefully these won't just be centralised around the release of a new game in the franchise and we'll still be getting Tekken 7 events 4, 5 years into the game's lifespan.

Top Bottom