• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 – Official PC Launch Trailer

tci

Not really feeling the trailer. It was just messy and badly put together.

I was suppose to get this at launch, but might wait a bit for now. The trailer didn't really excite me in any way.

They've lost me with the delay. Was really excited about it thinking it'd be fine but I've seen some of the stuff and streams including the raid and just lost interest. Also so many other games are coming out.

dmix90

Don't even want to launch it tbh after hearing honest/post honeymoon impressions from full game and playing the beta + mt/lootbox bullshit on top. At least it was pretty cheap...... oh well.

Blam

Steamworks integration and even Steam DRM are entirely optional.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm almost certain Destiny 2 is sitting in the Steam registry.

Who knows. Maybe Bungie was wary of developers with a recent history of successful MP titles going through the games with a fine-tooth comb and taking notes.

Yeah that's not Destiny 2 that's Destiny 1. Microtranscations were never cataloged so there was no way of seeing what games had what. So once that was happening just coincidentally Destiny Silver showed up.

BraXzy

I ended up grabbing the PS4 copy initially to experience the first raid blind. The lack of cross save would've stopped my PC purchase if I didn't snag a cheap copy. I did downgrade from an LE though.

Admittedly I don't think I'll actually bother with it till first DLC, I'd done pretty much everything on PS4 already. But it'll be nice to have 144hz when the time comes.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Idk why everyone is so down on the game. It has its issues but the first 50-70 hours are sublime lol. in all actuality the problems aren’t anything bungie can’t actually solve easily as we’ve seen with d1 every dlc came with major design change(s). I feel at this point that if you’re letting impressions of people who have played 100+ hrs of the game change your mind you weren’t really interested in the game to begin with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah that's not Destiny 2 that's Destiny 1. Microtranscations were never cataloged so there was no way of seeing what games had what. So once that was happening just coincidentally Destiny Silver showed up.

I'm aware it's "Destiny Silver" and the app is old enough to be Destiny 1 (it was reserved at the end of January 2015), but, well, to quote the post I should have quoted in the first place:

There's been an interesting development on that front. The TL;DR version:

- Destiny items were attached to the app earlier in the year but weren't uncovered until recently as SteamDB previously wasn't polling the Steam Inventory Service for item data
- Deej inadvertently confirmed the app is indeed Bungie's when he said the items being purchasable was a mistake
- The app has been updated by Bungie more than a dozen times since the Battle.net announcement, most recently a couple of weeks ago (or three-and-a-half weeks ago if we just assume that was Bungie making the items unpurchasable)
- A port of Destiny this late makes little to no sense, which suggests it's Destiny 2

Throw all that together and you have the possibility that Acti will release the game on Steam, presumably with Uplayesque Battle.net client integration.

Here's what I think:

- There was virtually no activity to speak of until October 2015, so the app was reserved for Destiny 2 early into development
- Fast-forward through many months of regular activity to earlier this year, and to test Steam Wallet integration, which must be used for microtransactions, Destiny 1 Silver items were quickly created by just copying the descriptions and assets from elsewhere
- (Fact) Bungie continued tinkering with the app until the items were outed -- there has been no activity since they were rendered unpurchasable

It's certainly possible the app was and still is Destiny 1, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

AaronMT86

Cancelled pre-order. Not doing the grind all over again. If I could login with my characters on PS4, I'd hop onto PC in a heartbeat.

Idk why everyone is so down on the game. It has its issues but the first 50-70 hours are sublime lol. in all actuality the problems aren’t anything bungie can’t actually solve easily as we’ve seen with d1 every dlc came with major design change(s). I feel at this point that if you’re letting impressions of people who have played 100+ hrs of the game change your mind you weren’t really interested in the game to begin with.
QFT...

I guess it would be nice if I had these issues where I could quickly sink 100 hours into games all the time, but thats just not the case. I’m happy where I am with Destiny and eagerly await updates with new missions and challenges.

Strakt

Looking forward to playing this despite the complaints about the endgame. As long as I get a good 40-80 hours of co-op fun I'll be happy with my purchase. Not looking for the game to be a massive second job like WoW anyway.

This is why i see destiny doing decently well on PC

WoW players have gold they can buy game with; theres downtime between patches + raid, etc... Why not play destiny during that downtime?

Overwatch players rage from OP Junkrats and one trick mercies @ high SR, why not try destiny to cool off? Why not play one when you're raging in the other!

Diablo players rage about Blizzard not making any diablo announcements the past 2 blizzcons about future expansion or d2 remake or diablo 4... why not play both casually?

This is why i see destiny doing decently well on PC

WoW players have gold they can buy game with; theres downtime between patches + raid, etc... Why not play destiny during that downtime?

Overwatch players rage from OP Junkrats and one trick mercies @ high SR, why not try destiny to cool off? Why not play one when you're raging in the other!

Diablo players rage about Blizzard not making any diablo announcements the past 2 blizzcons about future expansion or d2 remake or diablo 4... why not play both casually?

I disagree with your WoW and Diablo scenario. Why would they want to play a substitute game that is so shallow on both of those ends? Why wouldn't the Diablo player try PoE or Warframe? Both of those games are magnitudes better (and free) than Destiny when it comes to the power fantasy that Diablo provides. Why wouldn't the WoW player play FFXIV or something else that actually has a meaningful loot treadmill systems?

I guess I just don't see where Destiny is a good substitute for those games. Unless the person playing those games wants a shallow version of the game they love mixed with some shooting, I don't see the appeal for that player.

That being said, I think it will do fine on PC. I don't think it'll do amazingly well, but by no means bad either.

Its a Destiny thread, homie, the one-stop shop of opinions of people who were never interested, to begin with.

So is the implication that those with criticisms about the game haven't or won't ever actually play the game? Is that really what you're going to go with? There are some shitposters, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that criticism should be swept aside because we are assuming everybody that criticizes this game (or any game, really) has no interest in actually liking the game. I criticize Destiny because I want to love it, but I think Bungie just keeps making decisions that I don't love. The reason why I criticize Bungie is because I am interested in their game.

Destiny will be amazing on PC. Do the minimum requirements jump over to Overwatch for more serious competitive PVP.

I am excited. I just want to know when Pre-load is.

Bold One

Its a Destiny thread, homie, the one-stop shop of opinions of people who were never interested, to begin with.

Strakt

I disagree with your WoW and Diablo scenario. Why would they want to play a substitute game that is so shallow on both of those ends? Why wouldn't the Diablo player try PoE or Warframe? Both of those games are magnitudes better (and free) than Destiny when it comes to the power fantasy that Diablo provides. Why wouldn't the WoW player play FFXIV or something else that actually has a meaningful loot treadmill systems?

I guess I just don't see where Destiny is a good substitute for those games. Unless the person playing those games wants a shallow version of the game they love mixed with some shooting, I don't see the appeal for that player.

That being said, I think it will do fine on PC. I don't think it'll do amazingly well, but by no means bad either.

Because theres always downtime in any game you play? Ive played both and there was always a time where i was done with diablos current season and/or waiting for a new WoW content patch. Destiny is on the same launcher, so i can see it being a second game people try out during downtime in their main game.

EDIT: Also a lot of people don't want to try out Path of Exile and/or Warframe due to how complicated their systems are. I play Path of Exile every now and then and prefer it over Diablo but i can see 100% how it can be an intimidating game to most. Same with Warframe.

J_Viper

Yeah after playing this on PS4, I have not the slightest inclination to double dip. And that PC beta blew my mind when I played it.

I mean the game itself is fine, but it's kinda just there. Coming off such a great year of releases, D2 felt underwhelming by comparison.

I've seen a lot of feedback regarding the "no end game" complaint in other threads. How long does it take to get to that point?

I'd say about 30-40 hours. Story missions, adventures, exotic quests and the raid. I'd say strikes but the truth is there's no point to doing strikes. And pvp sucks so I'd avoid that.
People who are saying 60+ are people who played multiple characters. You don't need to do that.

Struct09

Haven't touched the console version and my friends are waiting for the PC version as well, so I'm ready. Please RNG gods treat me better than you did in Destiny 1!

Strakt

For those who aren't aware:

Game launches at 1 pm EST on the 24th ( globally ) and here are specs:

PC_Launch_MAP.jpg

2N2GTa9.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Couldn't wait so bought it on PS4. Will still be buying it again.

A lot of people are hating on it but I think it's much improved and I'm enjoying it way more than I ever did the first game.

Probably 30-40 hours if you are focusing on getting to max level and getting everything done.

Maybe even longer actually.

I'd say about 30-40 hours. Story missions, adventures, exotic quests and the raid. I'd say strikes but the truth is there's no point to doing strikes. And pvp sucks so I'd avoid that.
People who are saying 60+ are people who played multiple characters. You don't need to do that.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll move forward with grabbing it.

Strakt

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll move forward with grabbing it.

Don't listen to people who say PVP sucks. Its more of a try it out yourself type of thing to form an opinion. If you do happen to enjoy it, it will add a lot more gametime to the 40 people are reporting

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've waited for years to play Destiny on PC. Alas, I don't think there's enough in D2 to keep my interest after the initial leveling.

Xyber

Sorry Bungie, console impressions and being so slow with this release lost you a sale from both me and my friend. Started playing Warframe instead, 80 hours in and I'm not even close to running out of stuff to do (especially with the new patch).

Might buy it when it hits 20-30 bucks in 3 years. *shrug*

JWiLL

Banned
Sorry Bungie, console impressions and being so slow with this release lost you a sale from both me and my friend. Started playing Warframe instead, 80 hours in and I'm not even close to running out of stuff to do (especially with the new patch).

Might buy it when it hits 20-30 bucks in 3 years. *shrug*

I already owned D2 thanks to the Nvidia promotion...but yeah. If you're not a Warframe vet there's going to be a ton of game left for you. Plus, with that game, you feel like you're making real meaningful progress each time you log on.

I think some big economy changes will be needed to retain players on PC. Content drops also NEED to be frequent and meaty or people will go back to their old faithful PC titles. Bungie has the budget to do it and they certainly have enough feedback to know where improvements need to be made, now it's up to them to act on it.

120v

i think a lot of people will be surprised... it's Destiny. on PC.

easy to get caught up in the current narrative but when the dust settles it'll be a pretty big deal. will it absolve fundamental problems? no. will it give pubg and overwatch a run for its money? no... but i really doesn't have to

UberLevi

Can't wait, already had mine pre-ordered for over a month now. Played during launch week with an Xbox One rental but I'm definitely excited to play it on PC, which is where I always wanted to play Destiny to begin with even back when I bought TTK. The beta felt smooth as butter, too.

Foxxsoxx

Ugh, this looks so much smoother on PC but after playing the hell out of it on Pro I don't think I'm going to double dip, at least until a major expansion comes out. The game is fun for sure, but it wears off pretty quick, the weak story, and lack of RPG elements hurt it as well.

I was going to build a PC for this game a month ago, but now I don't even want to play D2. I got burnt out on it way faster than I ever did in D1.

I'd say if you haven't bought it though, the game is great fun for a few weeks, but it's that sort of stupid fun, no real depth though.

Really enjoyed my time with Destiny 2 on the PS4, and had originally been looking forward to the PC version - but if I can't muster the energy to even log into the PS4 version anymore, I'm not going to bother with the PC release.

Thankfully was able to get my pre-order backed out!

Also, word to the wise - the collectors edition stuff is useless. The sword is outclassed by other items and the emblem is fucking ugly. (The emote is whatever.. neat but I found the other ones more fun to use.)

scoobs

I've been playing on PS4 since launch off and on and I originally planned on double dipping, but unfortunately I've already lost all interest in the game. All I really do is the weekly nightfall now that I'm 300 power, and even then its really not even worth it unless its a really fun one (however most have been annoying thus far). I'd have a hard time recommending this to anyone that isn't an absolute die-hard Destiny fan. Having said that, if you're the kind of person that is OK with playing 30-40 hours and never wanting to play it again, then this is the game for you. Fans of loot games beware, this is about as shallow as it gets.

Hugstable

Banned
Couldn't wait so bought it on PS4. Will still be buying it again.

A lot of people are hating on it but I think it's much improved and I'm enjoying it way more than I ever did the first game.

Same I've actually been really enjoying it. Strikes are really fun this time around, Pyrmidion was really cool. And the raid was intense, finally went through it yesterday and even beat Calus! Gonna be playing it on PC again and co-op the campaign since I originally went thru it solo on ps4

Top Bottom