• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys get weapons over level 150? I see some people here has 155 or 160 weapons. I didn't even know they existed until today. I currently have a level 150 +6 weapon with 1320 damage.

Raybunny

Awesome thanks.

My body should be there.

It's not showing your revenant for some reason.

Sometimes the friends revenant graves are not sparkly. Check the names. Best case scenario is restarting the game to refresh the revenant list.

My God anyone have that close combat weapon mod? 20% is absurd.

The best I got was 15.1%. Will check my weapons again. might have been lucky meanwhile.

RexNovis

Banned
My body should be there.

Sometimes the friends revenant graves are not sparkly. Check the names. Best case scenario is restarting the game to refresh the revenant list.

The best I got was 15.1%. Will check my weapons again. might have been lucky meanwhile.

It's not loading any revenants for me at all here for some reason. Gonna try quoting and reloading

RedFury

It's not loading any revenants for me at all here for some reason. Gonna try quoting and reloading
Yeah I had the same issue. Don't know really. Only saw his grave twice, wasn't enough to get what I needed but I can pass items between me and my brother now atleast.

The guys from Red Letter Media didnt really like the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmchZRyeDU&t=1404s

They think From Soft's games are much much better it seems. They think Nioh is too similar to Soulsborne but not as good. Epicnamebro really love Nioh from what ive seen on his stream and dont think it is that similar to those games and think Nioh is more similar to Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden.

On the other hand, am up to 80% done of my trophies. Slowly progressing to platinum.

Just got a smithing text for Hino Enma Kabuto, I didn't know you can get those, I thought it was only available for people that played beta. Looks really funny but kinda cool at the same time :D

mark-of-the-conqueror.jpg

The guys from Red Letter Media didnt really like the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmchZRyeDU&t=1404s

They think From Soft's games are much much better it seems. They think Nioh is too similar to Soulsborne but not as good. Epicnamebro really love Nioh from what ive seen on his stream and dont think it is that similar to those games and think Nioh is more similar to Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden.

On the other hand, am up to 80% done of my trophies. Slowly progressing to platinum.

It's their opinion and they have the right to not like it. But i disagree. I think this game is a diablo type ARPG with dark souls element in here. Anybody played this game extensively knows the that the dark souls comparison fades out quick as it turns into a loot grinding and character building game.

Zesh

Finally got every title. Most annoying ones were the ones for killing humans with different weapons, as I hadn't used some weapons much at all. The rest were pretty simple to get.

Rocwell

what stat should I be stacking to improve drop rates on smithing manuals? Item drop rate or equip drop rate? It's taking me quite a few attempts to get texts from the Dojo bosses and any tips would be great.

The end is really dragging for me, I pretty much mastered both Katana and Kursurigawa(sp?). I really dislike the way the up the difficulty by just throwing multiple high level dudes at you. Most bosses are ok but I hate it when some don't follow the rules of the game. For example I fucken hate when you destroy a huge yokai Ki meter and they can still pull off a combo that will wreck you.

Don't know if I'll finish the final region since Horizon and Zelda are coming soon. I'll probably end up finishing it after I'm done with those two.

It's their opinion and they have the right to not like it. But i disagree. I think this game is a diablo type ARPG with dark souls element in here. Anybody played this game extensively knows the that the dark souls comparison fades out quick as it turns into a loot grinding and character building game.

Sure, but there's something wrong when they're obviously not even understanding the basic knowledge of the game.

Baalzebup

Most bosses are ok but I hate it when some don't follow the rules of the game. For example I fucken hate when you destroy a huge yokai Ki meter and they can still pull off a combo that will wreck you.
There is nothing in the Yokai rules of Ki and Ki usage that would prevent them from pulling off a combo that will wreck you even at zero Ki.
My God anyone have that close combat weapon mod? 20% is absurd.
Yes, it was among the pool that we farmed around during the first big "share you cool fransferables" thing. Can't remember who originally deposited it, but a bunch of us have it by now.

Different Youkai behave differently when you deplete their Ki.

'Weak' Youkai - Skeletons, Zombies, Blobs, and even Wheelmonk will get knocked out if you deplete their Ki.

'Strong' Youkai - Yoki, Onyudo, Cyclops, Tengu will still fight even without Ki, but are easily staggered.

Rizzi

Well, guess I'm done. This Yuki and Nobunaga fight can eat my ass. Add a mage to one shot you from across the room while you fight an actually cool boss? Sure sounds like a well balanced fight!

Different Youkai behave differently when you deplete their Ki.

'Weak' Youkai - Skeletons, Zombies, Blobs, and even Wheelmonk will get knocked out if you deplete their Ki.

'Strong' Youkai - Yoki, Onyudo, Cyclops, Tengu will still fight even without Ki, but are easily staggered.

I never fully thought about strong and weak Yokai. Thanks!

Hey,

Finished the game yesterday night and it was really great. The impressions here on GAF really sold me on the game and i have zero regrets. I have a few questions :

- I'm level 137 in my post game, what is the quickest way to gain some levels (I'm about to have a ton of work so imma try to do as much as i can today) ?

- Is there a place where i can see some builds ? I tried some ideas i had but it wasn't really good :x

Also, i'm up all day if someone need a partner for " A meeting on the other shore" or "Two Kings" (By partner, i mean i'll probably run everywhere and do almost no damage with my shitty stuff)

myco666

So I need to finish 150 missions to get enough money for the trophy? Yeah I am not sure if I want to do that. Also this coop trophy is kinda annoying.

Well, guess I'm done. This
Yuki and Nobunaga
fight can eat my ass. Add a mage to one shot you from across the room while you fight an actually cool boss? Sure sounds like a well balanced fight!

Might wanna spoiler that. It is a messy fight but it is still balanced and not that bad.

Rizzi

So I need to finish 150 missions to get enough money for the trophy? Yeah I am not sure if I want to do that. Also this coop trophy is kinda annoying.

Might wanna spoiler that. It is a messy fight but it is still balanced and not that bad.

Please explain how literally getting one shot from across the room because whoops mage shot you with ice when you dodged out of the way of getting one shot by the guy that can one shot you with a sword is balanced in any way.

myco666

Please explain how literally getting one shot from across the room because whoops mage shot you with ice when you dodged out of the way of getting one shot by the guy that can one shot you with a sword is balanced in any way.

I don't remember anything being OHK in that fight but even if there was you are supposed to only attack when you know what both are doing. If other one isn't on the screen you will always be at risk of getting hit by something off screen. Thats how duo fights always go in every game. And it is not like you are constantly bombarded with projectiles.

edit.

Seriously this blacksmith trophy is the worst thing ever. No way I am going to get it. Sold bunch of green and purple gear I've been hoarding and even that gave me only 500k.

Baalzebup

Please explain how literally getting one shot from across the room because whoops
mage shot you with ice when you dodged out of the way of getting one shot by the guy that can one shot you with a sword
is balanced in any way.
You keep using the oneshot complaint in a game where being oneshot means you and your gear aren't up to the task. Get better armor, get more HP, get elemental damage reduction, get protective charms. AFAIK there is literally nothing in this game that is a guaranteed oneshot.

Your boss in question has some really distinct sound cues for the various attacks. If you pay attention, you can tell exactly what is coming, and when. You don't even need to see anything do dodge it.

And again, FFS, put some damn spoiler tags on your ranty posts.

Grassy

what stat should I be stacking to improve drop rates on smithing manuals? Item drop rate or equip drop rate? It's taking me quite a few attempts to get texts from the Dojo bosses and any tips would be great.

Item drop rate is for smithing texts and other usable items, equipment drop rate is for armour and weapons. This is how I farm texts - I change my Guardian Spirit to Itokuri(spider) which gives you a +30% boost to Human/Yokai item drop rate and +50 to Luck, I equip any armour with Luck bonus, I change my two "Accessories" slots to two fans I have with +20% Human Item drop rate and Luck, and hope for the best.

I've obtained most texts within ~10 kills, although it took me ~30 kills to get
Tachibana's Warrior of the West Bow smithing text(got his armour and sword text within 5 kills).

Freeman76

You still posting this shit? Its laughable how adamant you are about this when its 100% clear that Nioh uses souls blueprint in many, many ways. The Dark Souls influence is there from the tutorial to the end of NG+ and I have to wonder what your agenda is trying to say otherwise.

The main point of contention (in people who actually see the game for what it is) is whether it successfully built on those foundations and improved them, or fell short of the mark (which the article clearly felt they didnt improve it)

myco666

You keep using the oneshot complaint in a game where being oneshot means you and your gear aren't up to the task. Get better armor, get more HP, get elemental damage reduction, get protective charms. AFAIK there is literally nothing in this game that is a guaranteed oneshot.

Your boss in question has some really distinct sound cues for the various attacks. If you pay attention, you can tell exactly what is coming, and when. You don't even need to see anything do dodge it.

And again, FFS, put some damn spoiler tags on your ranty posts.

While there isn't straight up one shots outside of the one attack already mentioned there are attacks that can lead to certain death if your dodge is timed badly. If you dodge and your timing is off it is possible to get your entire Ki destroyed and get killed by whatever the boss does after it because you can't recover fast enough. Happened to me ton of times in certain boss fights.

SkylineRKR

Finally continued the story after crafting a whole Iga set. Again,
Nue
was more difficult than the level boss. Best sub boss ever. Levels are awesome once you're past Region 2.

Baalzebup

Umi-beamu
~
I actually have a theory on that that I want to test, but it would require an armor transferable that I've yet to see. It will likely be the last attack to retain OHKO status for sure, but I think even that can be broken.
Saved by that one extra point in body.

Huh, I've forgotten how comparatively weak the NG version of it actually is. Didn't even need the prep I though it might need.
While there isn't straight up one shots outside of the one attack already mentioned there are attacks that can lead to certain death if your dodge is timed badly. If you dodge and your timing is off it is possible to get your entire Ki destroyed and get killed by whatever the boss does after it because you can't recover fast enough. Happened to me ton of times in certain boss fights.
Yeah, but now were back to sheer numbers, the RPG side of the game and the possibility of stacking up ability to tank shit either via Blocking or just taking it on the chin. You get enough HP, armor, damage reduction etc and you will survive it. I play a very quick and fragile build myself, but the game does allow some rather spectacular tanking if you pile it up.

Whats the most fun Ultimate arts outside Dual Katanas and Axe? I am gaining a lot more points (finished all the skill trees with those two) so now I can invest in other ultimate weapons arts. I do have a fondness for the normal Katana but maybe a Spear would be more unique?

Izuna

Banned
I don't get why people are so defensive on this. I'm a huge fan of both games, but they're very similar. It's not a bad thing.

I'm not defensive, just think that the similarities are like say, Virtua Cop to Panzer Dragoon.

Combat systems are as different as any two action games, level structure, encounter design etc.

Outside of Amrita=Souls, except since it isn't used to buy stuff, that's it really.

Nioh is NGB + Diablo. Both of those games existed before Souls.

I don't get why people are so defensive on this. I'm a huge fan of both games, but they're very similar. It's not a bad thing.

I think the reason is, that Nioh takes just as heavy of an inspiration from say, things like Diablo and such, with incredibly involved loot system, and such, but people focus on Souls inspiration specifically. Yes, there are some heavy notes taken from Souls, like, it's 100% undoubtful AND devs openly mention that themselves. But game is ultimately an amalgamation of numerous concept from numerous sources.

I do find it funny how before souls games, the game from this same devs had the same reputation as souls. Yeah, peoples, back in the day, Ninja Gaiden was that one game with reputation of being tough as nails game for true hardcore gamers blahblahblah hotwings challenge or something

I can't for the life of me seem to parry. I seem to be pressing L1 half a second before I get hit, but it doesn't count as a parry? Maybe it's a full second ...

Outside of Amrita=Souls, except since it isn't used to buy stuff, that's it really.

Nioh is NGB + Diablo. Both of those games existed before Souls.

You unfairly underplay the similarities and I dunno why. Are you like secretely embarrassed by it?

Revenant system is clearly a spin on the bloodstains.
Ambush heavy encounter design that rewards cautious approach and allows for pulling enemies one by one. This is NOT from NGB, in that game you dodgejumped everywhere like a maniac.
Sandboxey level design with shortcuts instead of checkpoints used as means of permanent progress within the level. Sure, there are games doing this aside from souls, in fact, in some ways it comes straight from Metroidvania, but you have to intentionally close your ears and sing "lalala can't hear you" to pretend that one game series that was getting massive spotlight for doing this thing for the last how many years now isn't Souls.

Nothing is new under the sun, but you can't jus say "this game has nothing to do with souls, because x was done 10 years ago in y game. ". Cuz you have to be delusional to think that this company, interested in making money, made decisions to take inspirtation from x because of Y and not this massively popular and well selling series right in front of their noses.

I do agree that just calling Nioh "samurai souls" while a useful shorthand, is unfair both to the game and to consumer. We had people here burned by non-permanent level design and mission based structure in this very thread, mislead by it. And it does produce morons that claim this is a shameless clone, we've seen those too. As I stated, the game is amalgamation of numerous inspirations, and dev team's past expertise in action games, but it is clear, Souls played a large role in shaping the game.

Kudo

I assume for the Highest Quality Materials Trophy you need to farm each boss until they drop their respective material? Only got like.. 4 during my playthrough.

Baalzebup

I assume for the Highest Quality Materials Trophy you need to farm each boss until they drop their respective material? Only got like.. 4 during my playthrough.
Bosses and other rare Yokai drops, like the Writhing Tongues etc. The NG+ Twilight missions can net you quite a few of them, but you'll still need to luck out with some bosses.

Kudo

Bosses and other rare Yokai drops, like the Writhing Tongues etc. The NG+ Twilight missions can net you quite a few of them, but you'll still need to luck out with some bosses.

Alright, guess I'll be running NG+ with some Luck items on, hoping for the best.
Thanks!

Izuna

Banned

Revs are not like Bloodstains. They tell you how someone has died, but you also get to fight them and they drop loot.

All of the encounter design you mentioned is straight up Diablo, which the loot system itself is based on.

This game is so far from Souls that you can't guarantee a fan of this game will like Souls nor vice versa.

And why would I be embarrassed? It's just not a good comparison and it's partly why I was weary about Nioh before trying it. It doesn't help describe the game play.

--

Also, the souls parts are the worst parts of Nioh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom