• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

awp69

I used to use AppZapper Pro. Guess I’ll give Notify a go.

Yeah, I used to use Pro as well. Think you’re right that it no longer works. Don’t really understand why since Notify works but whatever. It does have ads that you can remove with an IAP. But they aren’t terrible so I just live with it.

killercow

That looks promising. Also found an article built into the App Store about AR games that also mentions a few more that don’t seem to be available yet: AMON and YuMe: Alice’s Dream.

Oddly, I cannot find anything on the Internet about either of those games.

Seems like even their list about AR games is getting updated every minute. Pretty cool that they can now do that, I’ve never seen a live update on a category in the old appstore.

So yay or nay for iOS 11? Think I might do it for my phone, but not my iPad yet

Are all these games good on 11:
- Dream Quest
- Blockwick 2
- Card Thief
- Linelight
- Shadow Fight 2 Special Edition
- The Guides/Axiom
- A Dark Room/The Ensign
- Imbroglio
- 868-Hack
- Swapperoo
- 99 Bricks
- Hadean Lands
- Zombie Exodus

awp69

Seems like even their list about AR games is getting updated every minute. Pretty cool that they can now do that, I’ve never seen a live update on a category in the old appstore.

Yeah, since they mentioned ARise, which then popped up later as a linked app, I figure I’ll wait and see if the other two show up and see what they look like before I bite on one.

The Warhammer: Freeblade AR update looks kind of cool so I’m redownloading that to check it out.

awp69

- Dream Quest
- Blockwick 2
- Card Thief
- Linelight
- The Guides/Axiom
- A Dark Room/The Ensign
- Imbroglio
- 868-Hack
- Swapperoo
- 99 Bricks
- Hadean Lands
- Zombie Exodus

Personally I’d say “Yay” on your phone. I split the difference and kept my Mini on iOS 10.3.

That way I can still access anything older. And I really do like 11.

killercow

- Dream Quest
- Blockwick 2
- Card Thief
- Linelight
- The Guides/Axiom
- A Dark Room/The Ensign
- Imbroglio
- 868-Hack
- Swapperoo
- 99 Bricks
- Hadean Lands
- Zombie Exodus

For iPad this is a really huge update. As for the games you mentioned I’ll take a look later but they should all work (or most of them). It’s only about the 64bit rule and here’s how you know:
- If the app was released after February 1st, 2015, it's 64Bit
- If the app was updated after June 1st, 2015, it's 64Bit

awp69

For iPad this is a really huge update. As for the games you mentioned I’ll take a look later but they should all work (or most of them). It’s only about the 64bit rule and here’s how you know:

Yeah, it maybe good on iPad but for a Mini 2? (Think that’s also what MB still has)

killercow

Yeah, it maybe good on iPad but for a Mini 2? (Think that’s also what MB still has)

Oh! In that case it might be best to hold on and see reactions online about that particular device after the upgrade. The Mini 2 is indeed getting a bit old.

awp69

Looks like some AR apps are going to require the 3D camera on the new iPhones. The Zombie Gunship AR and a Mammoth Mini Golf AR game both state that it requires “features not available on this device”.

A bummer since I read th AR kit does work on iPhone 6/7.

Guess probably the perspective to make things smaller based on distance is just on 8 and X.

baconcow

- Dream Quest
- Blockwick 2
- Card Thief
- Linelight
- The Guides/Axiom
- A Dark Room/The Ensign
- Imbroglio
- 868-Hack
- Swapperoo
- 99 Bricks
- Hadean Lands
- Zombie Exodus

Based on their latest date of update:

- Dream Quest (yes, updated Aug. 20, 2017)
- Blockwick 2 (yes, updated Mar. 21, 2016)
- Card Thief (yes, updated Sep. 8, 2017)
- Linelight (yes, updated Sep. 7, 2017)
- Shadow Fight 2 Special Edition (yes, updated Sep. 11, 2017)
- The Guides/Axiom (yes, updated Sep. 8, 2017)
- A Dark Room (yes, updated Aug. 2, 2017)
- The Ensign (yes, updated Nov. 20, 2015)
- Imbroglio (yes, updated May 26 '17)
- 868-Hack (yes, updated Jul. 24, 2017)
- Swapperoo (yes, updated Jun. 14, 2016)
- 99 Bricks (yes, updated Nov. 18, 2016)
- Hadean Lands (“Hadean Lands: Interactive Alchemical Fiction”?; yes, updated Jan. 10, 2017)
- Zombie Exodus (yes, Oct. 22, 2015)

awp69

Not sure why those other games may require a 3D camera. Just tried Warhammer Freeblade and it doesn’t use it in game. But has this AR “photo mode” and even though it’s just to take a picture, it’s really cool. And it *does* take into consideration distance.

I put my mech on the floor and it was smaller than on a table due to it being further away. Then there’s a cinematic that you can play where your mech attacks a flying mechanical bird and it’s awesome how cool it looks flying around your room.

Just a demo of the tech but cool nonetheless.

—

Alright, being sold on the tech now, I decided to grab ARise. Very neat game. There’s an island you have to navigate around. To do so, you need to keep your little character moving by walking around the island and repositioning your camera to make bridges, ramps, etc. align. There are NO onscreen controls. Everything is done by moving around and aligning perspective. Starts out very easy but gets a bit harder.

Haven’t finished it but probably not very long so that may factor if you want to spend $2.99 on it. There’s only one chapter or island. You’ll see more islands in the distance marked “coming soon”. Doesn’t appear to let you save either, which I guess makes sense if you are playing somewhere new.

Based on their latest date of update:

- Dream Quest (yes, updated Aug. 20, 2017)
- Blockwick 2 (yes, updated Mar. 21, 2016)
- Card Thief (yes, updated Sep. 8, 2017)
- Linelight (yes, updated Sep. 7, 2017)
- Shadow Fight 2 Special Edition (yes, updated Sep. 11, 2017)
- The Guides/Axiom (yes, updated Sep. 8, 2017)
- A Dark Room (yes, updated Aug. 2, 2017)
- The Ensign (yes, updated Nov. 20, 2015)
- Imbroglio (yes, updated May 26 '17)
- 868-Hack (yes, updated Jul. 24, 2017)
- Swapperoo (yes, updated Jun. 14, 2016)
- 99 Bricks (yes, updated Nov. 18, 2016)
- Hadean Lands (“Hadean Lands: Interactive Alchemical Fiction”?; yes, updated Jan. 10, 2017)
- Zombie Exodus (yes, Oct. 22, 2015)
Thanks! Much appreciated

Mik2121

Looks like some AR apps are going to require the 3D camera on the new iPhones. The Zombie Gunship AR and a Mammoth Mini Golf AR game both state that it requires “features not available on this device”.

A bummer since I read th AR kit does work on iPhone 6/7.

Guess probably the perspective to make things smaller based on distance is just on 8 and X.
Not true. Unless iPhone 6S has a 3D camera that I wasn't aware of. I just played Zombie Gunship AR and I had no issues.

awp69

Not true. Unless iPhone 6S has a 3D camera that I wasn't aware of. I just played Zombie Gunship AR and I had no issues.

Right. I don’t understand the warning on the App Store either. Maybe it’s a little better on the newer models? Have no idea. But all the ones I’ve tried so far, including Zombie Gunship AR, seem to work.

I’m also on an iPhone 6S Plus.

Rlan

RIP My list:

DKHuLuiVYAABM6A.jpg:small
DKHuLuhUIAEb6iU.jpg:small
DKHuLulV4AAhVen.jpg:small

DKHuLuiUMAEjC-7.jpg:small
DKHuPnVVYAYltG4.jpg:small

Incidentily, the main issue I've had with iOS11 is the sharing system for Twitter. I've yet to actually get it to work - either games that were focused entirely on the native share don't show Twitter anymore, or the new Twitter share comes up, but doesn't include a screenshot that the game would normally share. And then when I try to tweet that it will always respond with "Tweet Failed to send" "Your tweet couldn't be sent right now and has been saved as a draft".

DKIAkp4UEAAbl9K.jpg:small

Anyone else having that issue?

PittaGAF

There might be a big game coming this week or next week to the App Store... Something that you’ll need to Witness...

They did it again with the video (this time in iOS 11 New AppStore).
But then again....last year they did it too with the icon and nothing happened...

I’m hopeful tough :)

sheaaaa

RIP My list:

There's a lot of 2009-2012 stuff on that list (roughly, this is from memory, Adult Swim's games, Flight Control, et al) that takes me right back to that period, buying and playing tonnes of random 99c games on my fiancee's iPhone. The platform seemed full of promise, a totally new frontier where developers were throwing everything at the wall and seeing what stuck.

The fact that these games are obsolete now really bums me out. This is a real blow for game preservation.

Oynox

I never updated to 10.3; is there a way I can see what apps I'm going to lose or am I screwed?

You won't have access to the app compatibility screen so you have to go the hard way. Either start every app installed on your phone and note which ones give you a hint about compatibility or look through their App Store pages and determine their compatibility by their release and last update date:

here's how you know:

There is no way to search your past purchases list by the way.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any payed games similar to Pearl's Peril (find "hidden" objects kinda game) on iOS/Android? Currently playing that game, but having to wait 20 minutes for each life is a bit much i think. And 10 lives (that can be used in less than 5 minutes) costs ~$3.

Are there any payed games similar to Pearl's Peril (find "hidden" objects kinda game) on iOS/Android? Currently playing that game, but having to wait 20 minutes for each life is a bit much i think. And 10 lives (that can be used in less than 5 minutes) costs ~$3.
Have you played Hidden Folks?

killercow

There is no way to search your past purchases list by the way.

In iOS 11? If you tap the little profile bubble on the top right you can go to "my purchases" and search from there.

I never updated to 10.3; is there a way I can see what apps I'm going to lose or am I screwed?

I think 10.3 is still being signed by Apple so technically you could download the ispw on the Internet and update manually to iOS 10.3 to see.

test_account

XP-39C²
Have you played Hidden Folks?
No, i'm basically brand new to mobile gaming (not counting old Nokia games and other old Java-based mobile games). I had a Galaxy S2 until a few weeks ago, then it stopped working, now i have a Galaxy S7, so i'd thought i'd check out some games. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Indeed, that’s pretty weird. Maybe you need to use the account first then switch to your regular one? Or it only works for new updates? I guess I’ll experiment a bit with this.

Edit: it doesn’t tell you now when you’re switching countries so there might be something there.

Hmmm, I definitely didn’t sign in to the Japanese account first as it’s not my main account. I am at a loss as to what I might have done differently. It was the very first updates that came through! Very strange.

Also I could see the English Store when it all updated. So I definitely wasn’t connected to the Japanese Store.

Edit: I wonder if it can see I’m connected to a Japanese carrier and allows it because of that...? That’s all I can figure.

There's an easy solution to the "swapping-between-accounts-to-update-foreign-apps-that-you-have-installed-all-at-once" situation.

Add each of your Apple ID's emails to the Mail app. That way iOS can retain the authentication to the Apple ID in perpetuity and should display any apps that are associated with it in the Store without the need to micromanage which region you're viewing via the Main Apple ID you've signed in with in the "iTunes & App Store" section.
Also add your device as a trusted device via appleid.apple.com.

I've had this setup since probably iOS 7 and it's been working like clockwork for me as far as I can remember.

killercow

There's an easy solution to the "swapping-between-accounts-to-update-foreign-apps-that-you-have-installed-all-at-once" situation.

Add each of your Apple ID's emails to the Mail app. That way iOS can retain the authentication to the Apple ID in perpetuity and should display any apps that are associated with it in the Store without the need to micromanage which region you're viewing via the Main Apple ID you've signed in with in the "iTunes & App Store" section.

I've had this setup since probably iOS 7 and it's been working like clockwork for me as far as I can remember.

Never heard of this, interesting! Though since I use a Gmail account I just used the multiple email trick by placing dots in it so technically most of them are under the same email but i’ll try a few things and see what works. Thanks!

In other news Vincere Totus Astrum has been updated for iOS 11.

heringer

Surprised there's so little talk of Iron Marines. I thought it was supposed to be a big release, as it's from the Kingdom Rush devs.

The game is really, really good. I hope they add skirmish multiplayer game later so it can become the de facto mobile StarCraft.

I also love the art in their games. I don't know what is, but it's just so charming.

Surprised there's so little talk of Iron Marines. I thought it was supposed to be a big release, as it's from the Kingdom Rush devs.

The game is really, really good. I hope they add skirmish multiplayer game later so it can become the de facto mobile StarCraft.

I also love the art in their games. I don't know what is, but it's just so charming.
Most of the discussion is in the OT for it.

So I'm about halfway done with the second level in Iron Marines, and while I like it quite a bit, I think it's a little lacking in content and depth, at least at the moment.

It might have more levels right now compared to the Kingdom Rush games did at launch (they all got a bunch more as free updates), but each level in Kingdom Rush has three alternate "missions" with different enemy waves and tower requirements which basically gives you a whole bunch of levels to play.
Iron Marines doesn't seem to have this (or maybe it unlocks after beating it? But I doubt it), instead it has Spec Ops that are basically the same thing, but there's a lot less than 2 per main level, so regular stages+spec ops is only about 24 missions. The last two Kingdom Rush games with three missions per stage adds up to about 45 missions, not including the stages they added later.
You also don't unlock all the units until the second world, so less than half the levels in the game let you use everything at your disposal.

Another thing I'm a little disappointed with is that there doesn't seem to be as much strategy required in this game compared to the Kingdom Rush games, which is surprising since this is a RTS compared to the static towers in TD games. I'll definitely try Iron Marines on a higher difficulty after I beat it, but I don't seem to need to use all the units to succeed or even vary up my usual "go-to" units much either. I just kinda rush all my units ahead, kill everything, and move on. Occasionally I'll need to retreat or leave a unit back at a base to help defend it, but once you start filling out the tech tree and leveling up your Hero, you and your units are pretty powerful.

The tech tree unlocks so many powerful upgrades, that the middle levels of the first world are some of the hardest, because your hero isn't very high level yet, and your units don't have many of their advanced abilities (grenades for the soldiers, snipers ignore armor, towers build faster, etc.).

And the heroes (at least the 4 free ones) all feel a little meh, and it's mostly to do with their powers and upgrades. I wish their tech trees were more advanced, or you could customize them more, like choose 2 powers from several options, or have more passive abilities.
  • First hero: only attacks one enemy at a time, has a shield power that doesn't last long, and the other power is more powerful bullets that doesn't last that long either.
  • Second hero: probably my favorite, she shoots rockets that do some splash damage, and both of her powers are offensive (close range area attack and a stronger rocket attack).
  • Third hero: a Melee hero, but that makes it hard to get them in range of enemies without hurting your other units and you have to watch his health really closely. His attack power is OK, and he has a healing power.
  • Fourth hero: a sniper with good range and an impressively strong close range attack. But one of her powers is a cloak that's only really good to escape and to use her second ability which is a remote mine. Probably my second favorite hero, but she is harder to use since you need to micro manage her to use her effectively.

I know I sound down on the game overall, but I'm still really enjoying it; I've been playing it almost every day since it came out. It's got that great Kingdom Rush look to it with a ton of personality packed in all the animations and levels. Even if the RTS gameplay is a bit simple (in that Halo Wars "ALL UNITS" kinda way) it's still fun, and the tech tree is very satisfying to fill out (it's one thing that does feel like an improvement over Kingdom Rush's tech trees, which are pretty basic). And even though I'm disappointed that it seems to be lacking content, I know we'll get at least one more world for free (it's even greyed out in the world selection screen) and probably another free hero too.

colinp

Banned

Awesome, thanks!

The Today section of the App Store is giving a ‘Sneak Peak’ for The Witness and announcing ‘Surprise! The Witness just hit the App Store.’

But there’s no link yet... so very soon anyway but not just yet. I wonder how much it’ll be.

Awesome, thanks!

The Today section of the App Store is giving a ‘Sneak Peak’ for The Witness and announcing ‘Surprise! The Witness just hit the App Store.’

But there’s no link yet... so very soon anyway but not just yet. I wonder how much it’ll be.
Not seeing that yet, but that probably means it’s coming tonight or tomorrow

Pachimari

I dislike The Witness on PC.

But I'm probably gonna buy it or some other new game just to "celebrate" iOS 11 lol.

Wonder how much it'll cost. $10?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The Witness is the single best video game I've ever played.

I am not ready to replay, but maybe next year with an iPhone X...

awp69

I personally preferred The Talos Principle over The Witness. Honestly couldn’t get into the latter on PS4 so not planning to double dip on it.

—

Mech multiplayer battler The Machines, which was the big AR demo at the Apple event, is out for $4.99.

Wonder if it has a single player component?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-machines/id1280682965?mt=8

—

Morphite is also out. Played some of the beta a ways back, but enjoyed what I played. Honestly much better than No Man’s Sky IMO. $7.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/morphite/id1125093361?mt=8

Probably pick it up at some point but need to curb spending.

Top Bottom