• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Talk ‘Confederate’ Controversy, Defends Slave Drama, Not The Way It Was Announced

It disturbs me that you base what people should and shouldn't be able to write about on their race.

They can write whatever they want. Doesn't mean it will be handled well. There is a reason they ran to two black people to tack onto to the writing staff.

You think these sams writers would have been chosen for literally anything else. Have they even worked with black directors/writers for Got?

That's fair. I have to imagine that HBO will be sensitive to how this will look (if they weren't before they will be now!) moving forward, assuming it does move forward, but until we see or hear anymore it's just going to be an awkward elephant in the room for the network.

I'm not going to argue for or against this series given that we know next to nothing about it except for a brief description but I can see your point of view.

My response was in response to your post about that GOT image. I love GOT but that scene was absolute nonsense. It also speaks about why people are so Skeptical about these two making a show like this, since their current show has an almost exclusively white cast and most of the POC on it are slaves/background characters.

Syrus

Banned
I dont get the daenerys hate. This was written and adapted from the source material. Hate on GRRM not GoT producers or HBO.

Id like to see a trailer of this first before slamming it

jmood88

I dont get the daenerys hate. This was written and adapted from the source material. Hate on GRRM not GoT producers or HBO.

Id like to see a trailer of this first before slamming it
They've changed all kinds of stuff from the books but they just have to get the white savior stuff as perfect as possible, huh?

royalan

They've changed all kinds of stuff from the books but they just have to get the white savior stuff as perfect as possible, huh?

Yeah.

Benioff and Weiss have put enough of their own stamp on the material that the "Blame GRRM" line doesn't cut it.

Y'all don't have faith in the men who perfected "rape as a plot device" to handle a show that's literally entirely about slavery?

Well shit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can people stop bringing up Wolfenstein the New Order and its sequel like its at all comparable. Machine Games, the developers of those games, has in no way tried to humanize the Nazis. If anything they turned them into even bigger caricatures of the worst regimes of recent history as they have cyborg monsters and giant robot death machines that subjugate entire populations. They don't try to make them more human or make you sympathize with. No, they want you to go around murdering them in the most brutal way possible. Seriously its a shitty comparison that shows a total lack of understanding of either the game or what people's complaints about this show are.

jmood88

Can people stop bringing up Wolfenstein the New Order and its sequel like its at all comparable. Machine Games, the developers of those games, has in no way tried to humanize the Nazis. If anything they turned them into even bigger caricatures of the worst regimes of recent history as they have cyborg monsters and giant robot death machines that subjugate entire populations. They don't try to make them more human or make you sympathize with. No, they want you to go around murdering them in the most brutal way possible. Seriously its a shitty comparison that shows a total lack of understanding of either the game or what people's complaints about this show are.
Only one person mentioned the game and he said that he hopes the show is like it. What are you talking about?

Jkmetal

Banned
Have any of you seen the Confederate States of America tv special Satire?

I think it's on youtube but I'm not sure. Pretty much all that needs to be said.

Anyone ever see that HBO movie with Harry Belafonte and John Travolta, sort of a what the skin color roles were reversed? "The White Man's Burden"?

DonShula

I'm cautiously optimistic. The premise has my attention but I have zero feel for how they'd land this. I'm hopeful it will tie back to present-day institutions to make some points not so much about how far we've come but about how far we still have to go.

But in the back of my mind I'm really not sure where this will end up - HBO already has Westworld essentially showcasing a rebellion for freedom while questioning humanity, but with robots. This new show is going to have to hit some very different notes. I'll wait and see whether those notes are ones worth hitting.

KingK

D&D are just not talented people. They're the worst part of GoT and suck at making anything that's not lifted straight from the books. The topic of their next show is already questionable enough, but with those two heading the project and it all being original material, I have next to zero faith in it turning out well.

I think part of what bothers me about this project is that the very premise as they explain it, "modern day slavery," seems to understate/ignore the very real ways in which aspects of the institution of slavery managed to carry on in some form or another throughout post-civil war America (Jim crow, prisons, etc.). There's just a very damaging and prolific view in white America that the civil war definitively ended slavery, and MLK/civil rights act definitely ended what was leftover of racism, so it's not a really big problem anymore. I have very little confidence that D&D have any understanding of US racial history beyond the surface level, whitewashed shit taught in high school. And even less confidence that they would be respectful to that history (and modern day situation) in their portrayal of this show.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Only one person mentioned the game and he said that he hopes the show is like it. What are you talking about?

Its been brought up several times across the several threads about it and its a shitty comparison that I feel needs to stop already.

Last week I was upset but now I don't care. It's a tv show.

If it's not good it will be cancelled.

In a modern day setting will they have white characters dropping N Bombs?

Their interpretation of overwork and no compensation. Will there be featured black characters leading a revolution?

Their interpretation of Slave Patrol/ Policing?

I'm kinda in for some fuckery.

Slayven

Its been brought up several times across the several threads about it and its a shitty comparison that I feel needs to stop already.

I think the Westworld is an even worse, are black people in america so dehumanized that robots are an easy comparison?

Syrus

Banned

I just disagree. Maybe the lifting her around was a bit too much but it is what it is. It stayed in context of the books.

This new show could have a ton of badass black actors. Would that not be good? Or isnit the fact we are tired or black actors only getting good roles if its slavery related?

“The producers have said they’re not looking to do Gone With the Wind 2017,” he said. “It’s not whips and plantations. It’s what they imagine a modern-day institution of slavery would look like.”

So, a show about Amazon.

Lowmelody

Can't think of a worse premise for a show. Especially right now. Alt right will swarm to this show like cicadas in heat. Grosscity.

No fuckin thanks HBO

"Slavery was a very nuanced thing."

The initial act of capturing and selling people into bondage isn't some nuanced thing...maybe from the viewpoint of the enslavers but certainly not from a morality/human rights standpoint.

That is all I needed to read to confirm how tone deaf the showrunners are. The audience will be blamed for not being "open-minded" when the shit hits the fan.

Ivan 3414

Fingers crossed that this gets cancelled before it gets produced.

I am absolutely sick of slave and segregation stories in our entertainment media

I eagerly await their next "everything is fine" press release when they announce the smoking hot white guy playing the lead character, the Confederate with a heart of gold.

Fingers crossed that this gets cancelled before it gets produced.

Not me. At this point, I want to see Icarus fly as close as he can to the sun.

Seems to know it all.

I eagerly await their next "everything is fine" press release when they announce the smoking hot white guy playing the lead character, the Confederate with a heart of gold.

"You loved to hate him as Jamie Lannister..."

DonShula

I think the Westworld is an even worse, are black people in america so dehumanized that robots are an easy comparison?

I'd not even drawn the comparison until the topic of this new show came up, and that's mainly in reference to what I'd expect from the progression of the story arc. I always thought Westworld was just "can robots be humans" - kinda surprised to hear people jumped straight to slavery. I missed those conversations apparently.

jmood88

He's just so conflicted after he rapes one of his slaves and they later fall in love after she says that she forgives him.

Don't forgot the white lady protagonist from the Union that is the savior for all those poor defenseless slaves and speaks for them all the time. She also falls into a forbidden romance with the Confederate with a heart of gold because only she understands that he's a good person despite owning people like cattle.

Slayven

I just disagree. Maybe the lifting her around was a bit too much but it is what it is. It stayed in context of the books.

This new show could have a ton of badass black actors. Would that not be good? Or isnit the fact we are tired or black actors only getting good roles if its slavery related?

Hollywood can do better

black-panther-cast-sdcc-1500933399.jpg

WIG_5462-960x640.jpg

ZjZmNmQ2MzVjNSMvQjFTZXJVdm9OQnU4R0Z4SjV0TlZNbVJDR2pzPS8weDA6Mjk1NXgxNTYxLzE2MDB4OTAwL2ZpbHRlcnM6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL2UxbWM0OW1ocHo0ZTNpanE3YXpva2p1b244cHU5MHhxbWZveXlkb3dkcW5mb3huaHo5d21oenRwczk5a2I3YnkuanBn.jpg

gettyimages-614469734-h_2016.jpg

I'm not prescribing law. I'm disturbed by these white writers' fascination with imagining the continued enslavement of black Americans.

You shouldn't so easily discredit the fact that modern slavery could have been a very real outcome if the North lost the civil war.

If anything, this show is going to be intense as fuck to watch and could even be cancelled because of it.

Syrus

Banned
Im just open minded but im white so thats probably why.

I want to see a trailer first before yelling cancel.

You shouldn't so easily discredit the fact that modern slavery could have been a very real outcome if the North lost the civil war.

The premise of the show is not that the North lost. It was more of a stalemate where the South continued during "South" things. In fact, the show takes place leading up to the third Civil War.

Essentially, the North and South are divided by a DMZ.

If anything, this show is going to be intense as fuck to watch and could even be cancelled because of it.
No it couldn't have. The Confederacy fought to maintain the institution of slavery, this is fact. But that institution wasn't going to remain economically or even sociologically viable for more than a few decades at most.

Slavery was dead, no matter what had happened. There was never ever the possibility that it continued as an open and avowed institution, especially since without the great migration after the civil war, black folks would have far HIGHER population numbers to their white counterparts within a generation, they already were 50% of the total population of the south at the time.

I might add HBO to Vue to watch this show. Alternative History is one of my absolute favorite genres.

Side note, the 1632 series would make a great TV show.

No it couldn't have. The Confederacy fought to maintain the institution of slavery, this is fact. But that institution wasn't going to remain economically or even sociologically viable for more than a few decades at most.

Slavery was dead, no matter what had happened. There was never ever the possibility that it continued as an open and avowed institution, especially since without the great migration after the civil war, black folks would have far HIGHER population numbers to their white counterparts within a generation, they already were 50% of the total population of the south at the time.
Yeah, if we're going alt-history it would be more likely for something like the first successful Communist revolution to be in the Confederacy instead of Russia than for chattel slavery to persist to the modern day.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The premise struck me as rather bizarre because the wording read like the South was actually very wealthy, whereas they would be in North Korean levels of poverty if they were still running slavery in the modern era from all the embargos and sanctions.

That's before we even get to the reality that they most likely would have been getting nuke by civil war 2.

br3wnor

"Slavery was a very nuanced thing."

The initial act of capturing and selling people into bondage isn't some nuanced thing...maybe from the viewpoint of the enslavers but certainly not from a morality/human rights standpoint.

That is all I needed to read to confirm how tone deaf the showrunners are. The audience will be blamed for not being "open-minded" when the shit hits the fan.

All but guaranteed plot lines from this show:

Young son of a long time slave owning family is conflicted, has second thoughts about the whole institution when he falls in love with a very attractive slave

Samuel L Jackson type character from Django Unchained as one of the villains

Female slave owner who uses her male slaves for sex

Some form of either gladiator or competitive sport where the participants are all slaves. These slaves enjoy perks others don’t and even enjoy fame, but they’re still bound to slavery and the paradox is devastating!

Slave rebellion at some point

It’s going to be awful.

Beefy

We going to get bruvas and sistas with shock collars aren't we? Why need whips and shit when you can shock some slaves neck.

Top Bottom