• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Talk ‘Confederate’ Controversy, Defends Slave Drama, Not The Way It Was Announced

Eumi

I wanna know what they mean by 'nuanced' here, because without knowing anything it sounds like they're talking about making slavery out to be some morally ambiguous thing?

Like, where's the nuance in owning another person as property?

The south had 0 major industry. They had no natural metals of any abundance, no real ability to mine or refine steel, no major metropolitan areas compared to the north, no real cohesion of government, etc etc.

Alternative history is only interesting if it's at least semi plausible, nothing about the Confederacy being a stable, economic and political entity 150 years and a series of wars later is plausible. So if this has ANY chance of being good, they'd better have fucking nailed that background information.

But I won't see it regardless, I have 0 interest in propagating more slave shit.

KingK

You shouldn't so easily discredit the fact that modern slavery could have been a very real outcome if the North lost the civil war.

If anything, this show is going to be intense as fuck to watch and could even be cancelled because of it.
See, this response kind of encapsulates the problem I have with the premise. The Union winning the civil war didn't end sharecropping, or Jim Crow, or prison labor camps...all ways in which many aspects of institutional slavery were able live and thrive well after the 13th amendment. Hell, reconstruction ended up a farce where the Confederates were largely allowed to resume control of the South anyway. I'm concerned that this show will aid in whitewashing real American history for the sake of contrast with the fictional history. Hope I'm wrong, but again I have almost no faith in D&D.

Shit you could do a show on the failures of the reconstruction era south and say basically everything you could say with this shit AND give people some actual history to learn

All but guaranteed plot lines from this show:

Young son of a long time slave owning family is conflicted, has second thoughts about the whole institution when he falls in love with a very attractive slave

Samuel L Jackson type character from Django Unchained as one of the villains

Female slave owner who uses her male slaves for sex

Some form of either gladiator or competitive sport where the participants are all slaves. These slaves enjoy perks others don't and even enjoy fame, but they're still bound to slavery and the paradox is devastating!

Slave rebellion at some point

It's going to be awful.
You forgot, have a John Brown-like figure that is portrayed as the villain because he's/she's not trying to have a nice and peaceful discourse with all the slave owners.

You forgot, have a John Brown-like figure that is portrayed as the villain because he's not trying to have a nice and peaceful discourse with all the slave owners.

And you forgot the villianous Northerner who is secretly aiding Southern slave owners because he has financial investments there.

Deepwater

This really summed up my issues with the premise

Uj2XGQz.png

Slayven

Shit you could do a show on the failures of the reconstruction era south and say basically everything you could say with this shit AND give people some actual history to learn

It is a period that is largely skipped over. Even in white washed history. You would think nothing really happened in between the civil war, and WW 2. Except for the little dusty up in Europe inbetween.

KingK

Exactly. I feel like I wouldn't have as much of an issue with the show if white America's understanding of the real history of this issue wasn't so goddamn whitewashed and insufficient. As it is, I'm worried this show will just be there making other white people feel good about how things turned out compared to "how it could have been," while ignoring that things didn't really turn out too well in many ways.

This really summed up my issues with the premise
Yeah, that's a good, succinct summary of my main issue with this. Plus D&D having a shitty record when it comes to original content.

DrZeus

If this actually makes it to air I'm unsubscribing from HBO. Can't support a network that is willing to produce this kinda content in the current climate.

jett

D-Member
The premise struck me as rather bizarre because the wording read like the South was actually very wealthy, whereas they would be in North Korean levels of poverty if they were still running slavery in the modern era from all the embargos and sanctions.

That's before we even get to the reality that they most likely would have been getting nuke by civil war 2.

Nothing about this alternate timeline makes any sense when you start slightly digging beneath the surface. Knowing D&D I doubt they've put much thought into it.

LowRoller

Why would that be a selling point for anyone.

Premise I can see, but the writers staff is the most damming thing about this whole project.
Well I'm mostly talking about David here. Weiss is good too, but David's book City of thieves is one of my favorite books of all time and they've been adapting someone else's material for a TV show for several years, which probably restricted them a lot. I'm excited to see what original stuff they come up with for this show.

El Topo

You could even make Andrew Johnson basically Trump FFS it writes itself.

I assume you're gonna have a much harder time to sell a historical Civil War show to international audiences? Mind you, I'm not sure how important this is to HBO, but looking at CBS and Star Trek, I wouldn't be shocked if such considerations played into it.

The Confederacy would be North Korea levels of poor because the south would have quite literally 0 useful or valuable industry beyond crude oil. And even then, only Texas would benefit given how defederalized their government was.

Might seem like this is stupid to harp on. But when the core premise of your entire show makes no fucking sense you've already lost.

They could at least get Turtledove to consult
Amazed he isn't getting cut a check tbh

Whompa02

The whining seemed so misguided. That debut thread was an embarrassment.

that being said, I'm not jumping out of my seat off the premise. I need to actually see something.

Beefy

The whining seemed so misguided. That debut thread was an embarrassment.

that being said, I'm not jumping out of my seat off the premise. I need to actually see something.

Dude stop with the whining rubbish. It is pretty damn simple why POC aren't all jumping about being happy about this shit.

Siegcram

Well I'm mostly talking about David here. Weiss is good too, but David's book City of thieves is one of my favorite books of all time and they've been adapting someone else's material for a TV show for several years, which probably restricted them a lot. I'm excited to see what original stuff they come up with for this show.
I have not read that book, so I can't comment on it, but it is pretty universally agreed upon that their original writing on GoT is stinking up the joint.

So that "restriction" was probably for the best.

But different strokes and all that.

I think a better premise on alternate history would be if United States was still segregated and a great part of PoC communities were more well off than white people

"Great news, I got you a supporting role in a prestige drama on HBO" "My god as a black actor this is everything I wanted and more!" "Now here's your burlap sack and leg shackles" "God damnit, every time"

I still don't see how you can have a nuanced view of modern day slavery, unless they're going to "both sides" it up.

Like you literally can't make an alternate history show about the South still being a major institution today without being pro-South because they had nothing going for them. They aren't going to set up a situation wherein the South is all evil.

Whompa02

We saw a stock photo of two producers and a simple write up with absolutely ZERO direction of where the show is going, what the characters are motivated by, or the tone or ANYTHING. Give me a trailer. They're saying the messaging was poorly delivered. It was. If the premise doesn't please us within 140 characters, we get mad. I get it, but I need a little bit more before I flip my chair over with vitriol.

The setup can be viewed negatively, but the underlying messaging might be a little more progressive than we give it credit for. I'd like to think HBO and the writing team wouldn't run a campaign against black people, but I know some think otherwise.

inb4 "okay.jpg"

Will America be depicted as backward as fuck?
Like North Korea poor about tombe invaded by Mexico?
Slave economy does not make sense in a modern setting: less incentive to innovate, less competitive industry...

Whompa02

How is a show about modern day slavery supposed to be progressive?

Slavery is bad? No fugging way.

We live in a country full of idiots. Maybe people need a reminder of how bad our history was. Is that an interesting premise? Meh. I'm currently not sold on the show just off that. Get Out was a fantastic movie that used a modern setting to depict messaging that mirrored some themes of black history. Who's to say this wont mirror similar talking points?

Slayven

We saw a stock photo of two producers and a simple write up with absolutely ZERO direction of where the show is going, what the characters are motivated by, or the tone or ANYTHING. Give me a trailer. They're saying the messaging was poorly delivered. It was. If the premise doesn't please us within 140 characters, we get mad. I get it, but I need a little bit more before I flip my chair over with vitriol.

The setup can be viewed negatively, but the underlying messaging might be a little more progressive than we give it credit for. I'd like to think HBO and the writing team wouldn't run a campaign against black people, but I know some think otherwise.

inb4 "okay.jpg"
If the messaging is bad, it is completely on them. They are in an industry where 55% of their job is messaging. And considering how they handle some of the messages in GoT, it is not shocking they fucked it up and will fuck up the show

A show where modern day black people as cattle as progressive? In what way?

Beefy

We live in a country full of idiots. Maybe people need a reminder of how bad our history was. Is that an interesting premise? Meh. I'm currently not sold on the show just off that. Get Out was a fantastic movie that used a modern setting to depict messaging that mirrored some themes of black history. Who's to say this wont mirror similar talking points?

Get Out had decent writers

i'd love a sort of distorted and exaggerated sci fi story based on today's gender and race politics as a tv show (encompassing more than one minority too).

hire some minority writers and directors or consult with the communities or some shit.

partly why I enjoyed Get Out so much was that it felt like a 'black twilight zone'

We saw a stock photo of two producers and a simple write up with absolutely ZERO direction of where the show is going, what the characters are motivated by, or the tone or ANYTHING.

We do know the summary and we do know what the basic tone is from the writer interviews. We know they want to tell a nuanced story around a US with the institution of slavery intact.

The setup can be viewed negatively, but the underlying messaging might be a little more progressive than we give it credit for.

A modern day envisioning of the slavery of Black Americans is a flawed message to start, so progressive is a difficult message to wrap around that.

How about this? Would you expect people to be ok with a show with the premise being the Nazis didn't lose WW2 (and before you say, Man In The High Castle) AND the Jews were still subjected to experiments, torture and death camps as a major story point.

Would people be waiting around to see how progressive the underlying message might be before weighing in?

Should we wait and see how 'nuanced' the telling of the story is when the premise is so inflammatory?

I'll just go with the "let's see how it plays out" crowd(as I can't stop them, no use in already considering the worst), but in my mind, I can already see the Irish "modern slaves" and the shitstorm they'll cause.

Top Bottom