• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ta-Nehisi Coates on HBO's Confederate

Yea I can't imagine why black folks would get bent out of shape of being called PC "thugs", not like thug in the last 8ish years has become the go to dog whistle for nigger or anything.

I thought the go to term was urban Americans.

I got the pc thugs term from the simpsons. When Lisa is researching Jebediah Springfield and miss hoover calls her a PC thug. And homer was like "I've been called a greasy thug before!"

I think maybe your confirmation bias as to where my argument was coming from is you, and the majority of the respondents to my posts are perhaps creating your own narrative. Just a guess.

I got the pc thugs term from the simpsons. When Lisa is researching Jebediah Springfield and miss hoover calls her a PC thug. And homer was like "I've been called a greasy thug before!"

I think maybe your confirmation bias as to where my argument was coming from is you, and the majority of the respondents to my posts are perhaps creating your own narrative. Just a guess.

What a fucking crock of horseshit

kswiston

First off, amazing article as always Atlantic that shows why this show is pointless and disingenuous as fuck.

Two, I didn't know about all what happened with the Haitian Revolution and now I hope someone does a "what if" series where the Haitian Revolution spreads to the rest of the Americas.

The conditions of Haiti at the time of the revolution were quite a bit different than those in the United States at the same time. Haitian/African slaves outnumbered white people in Haiti 10 to 1 (slaves made up about a third of the population of the confederate states going into the Civil War). The French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars led to a muted response to the revolt from the French military, as they were focused on matters they deemed more pressing. There was a large outbreak of yellow fever, that killed a lot of the white French in Haiti in the midst of the revolution. And even given that, close to half of the Haitian slaves were killed during the revolt. It was a bloody mess. They did win independence though.

A lot of leaps of logic would be needed to set up a similar scenario in the United States, given differences to demographics, political interests, etc.

Granted, government sanctioned slavery persisting in the US up until 2017 is far-fetched as well, even if the confederates somehow won the civil war. That was my major issue with the Underground Airlines. A US/Confederate state-branded apartheid system, as seen in South Africa in the second half of the 20th century? Sure. Actual chattel slavery in a post-industrial, post-globalization United States? International relations would have forced an end to that, even if they turned a blind eye to civil rights abuses that are inherent in racial caste systems.

EDIT: I remember seeing that we are getting a show where emancipated slaves were given ownership of land (a couple of states?) and self-determination as reparations for slavery. I think that is a more interesting concept. It requires you to buy into a mass expropriation of land and property from many wealthy families at the conclusion of the civil war, but similar things have been done in history.

It's obvious he's just butthurt about his precious white entertainment being criticized and wanted to deliver that zinger of an "intellectually dishonest PC thugs" insult.

You get your proving my point right? The "white entertainment" isn't being criticised, as there is no script. It's the historical context around it. Or that's what everyone has been saying.

Do what you want, I don't care enough about you to really have a conversation at any length tbh.

Do what you want, I don't care enough about you to really have a conversation at any length tbh.

That's ok you could just not reply in the first place since you didn't care.

I'm just replying to people quoting me.

Ah the playful just trying to understand disingenuous racist act.

Boy that's a new one.

Yeah that's what it is, you keep creating that narrative son. Or read the thread as I'm not gonna go through the same argument.

Famassu

You get your proving my point right? The "white entertainment" isn't being criticised, as there is no script. It's the historical context around it. Or that's what everyone has been saying.
What you perceived as an attack on white entertainment. Doesn't matter what the article was actually about, you took it as an unfair "WAAH, WAAH, EVUL LIBERTARDS R ATTACKING MUH ENTERTAINMENT UNFAIRLY" attack on your precious entertainment and resorted to terminology mostly used by alt-right morons to dismiss the pursuit of equality & fair treatment for POC & other minorities.

You'd have to be intellectually dishonest to use a term like PC thug and think that's the kind of term to use in a discussion about black people & slavery

Out of curiosity, in a thread about minority, particularly Black, criticism of this show and the culture surrounding it, were you unaware how people might perceive your usage of "thug" even if you take it from The Simpsons? I think it's ok to say you didn't know the loaded usage for that term.

Lowmelody

That's ok you could just not reply in the first place since you didn't care.

I'm just replying to people quoting me.

Yeah that's what it is, you keep creating that narrative son. Or read the thread as I'm not gonna go through the same argument.

You aint slick, everyone sees you.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Guys I have an idea:

I want to make a series on HBO. It will be beautifully shot and edited. Really cool score and sound design. The premise is that it's just me sniffing dog turds for an hour each week.

Positive feedback only please it's not finished

Out of curiosity, in a thread about minority, particularly Black, criticism of this show and the culture surrounding it, were you unaware how people might perceive your usage of "thug" even if you take it from The Simpsons?

Considering the point I'm trying to make in this thread I can definitely see people wanting to create their own narratives that's for sure.

I'm also sure people have been trawling my post history getting sad faced at the fact they can't go "all your posts are dog whistles" at me too.

And if people had been fucked to of read my first post in the thread instead of following their own bias down the rabbit hole then this would of been a lot shorter.

PC thug is a thing it's from the simpsons. And within the context of the rest of my posts? It's your guys problem not mine. The useage is frankly apt. Perfectly cromulent useage.

Considering the point I'm trying to make in this thread I can definitely see people wanting to create their own narratives that's for sure.

I'm also sure people have been trawling my post history getting sad faced at the fact they can't go "all your posts are dog whistles" at me too.

And if people had been fucked to of read my first post in the thread instead of following their own bias down the rabbit hole then this would of been a lot shorter.

PC thug is a thing it's from the simpsons. And within the context of the rest of my posts? It's your guys problem not mine. The useage is frankly apt. Perfectly cromulent useage.

Did you know that thug has negative connotations for minorities, particularly African Americans? That was my real question. Because, again, it's totally ok if you didn't.

Sunster

Guys I have an idea:

I want to make a series on HBO. It will be beautifully shot and edited. Really cool score and sound design. The premise is that it's just me sniffing dog turds for an hour each week.

if the script is tight and right, it will work.

Lowmelody

Guys I have an idea:

It could be done properly, don't judge! I don't have a fetish for dog shit and if I did it would have nothing to do with it!

Merc_

Guys I have an idea:

How many PC Thugs will be involved with the production of this program?

The conditions of Haiti at the time of the revolution were quite a bit different than those in the United States at the same time. Haitian/African slaves outnumbered white people in Haiti 10 to 1 (slaves made up about a third of the population of the confederate states going into the Civil War). The French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars led to a muted response to the revolt from the French military, as they were focused on matters they deemed more pressing. There was a large outbreak of yellow fever, that killed a lot of the white French in Haiti in the midst of the revolution. And even given that, close to half of the Haitian slaves were killed during the revolt. It was a bloody mess. They did win independence though.

A lot of leaps of logic would be needed to set up a similar scenario in the United States, given differences to demographics, political interests, etc.

Granted, government sanctioned slavery persisting in the US up until 2017 is far-fetched as well, even if the confederates somehow won the civil war. That was my major issue with the Underground Airlines. A US/Confederate state-branded apartheid system, as seen in South Africa in the second half of the 20th century? Sure. Actual chattel slavery in a post-industrial, post-globalization United States? International relations would have forced an end to that, even if they turned a blind eye to civil rights abuses that are inherent in racial caste systems.

EDIT: I remember seeing that we are getting a show where emancipated slaves were given ownership of land (a couple of states?) and self-determination as reparations for slavery. I think that is a more interesting concept. It requires you to buy into a mass expropriation of land and property from many wealthy families at the conclusion of the civil war, but similar things have been done in history.

Yea when I read a bit more about it, it definitely was just the perfect now or never scenario for Haitians and for it to work in the US would be tricky without more alterations.

Did you know that thug has negative connotations for minorities, particularly African Americans? That was my real question.

I do now but the genesis of where I got it from was the Simpsons.

I haven't heard the term thug being used against black people why wouldn't I use pc"gangsters" or pc n words or literally anything else if I was going for it.

I hear urban Americans a lot more. "Pc thugs" is a thing man you people don't watch the simpsons?!

And when you weigh it against my arguments, hard left post history. I'm looking good you guys are the assholes story boarding narratives off your confirmation bias. Not me, so.

Chichikov

If you don't go to threads where people are excited about future projects based on limited info and complain that they should "wait and see and not pass judgment" but you're doing it here, you gonna have to ask yourself what's the difference.
I'm gonna have to ask you that too.

Lowmelody

I haven't heard the term thug being used against black people why wouldn't I use pc"gangsters" or pc n words or literally anything else if I was going for it.

I hear urban Americans a lot more. "Pc thugs" is a thing man you people don't watch the simpsons?!

And when you weigh it against my arguments, hard left post history. I'm looking good you guys are the assholes story boarding narratives off your confirmation bias. Not me, so.

Great. Coy, racist and illiterate.

It's good that you now know, but if you then take the next step and apply it to this thread, can't you see the problems minorities might have against these particular show runners creating this show? You didn't mean malice when you used a very charged term for minorities and African Americans, but you did because you didn't know. Apply that to a much larger platform like a flagship television program run by people who may make similar mistakes and see the damage that could be caused, especially considering the subject matter of said show.

Even good intentions can be foiled by ignorance.

Edit: My attempt at entrapment was to hopefully get him to apply his ignorance to good use. Oh well. At least something came out of all this.

Enzom21

Well folks have this thread now.

Knowing this, we do not have to wait to point out that comparisons between Confederate and The Man in the High Castle are fatuous. Nazi Germany was also defeated. But while its surviving leadership was put on trial before the world, not one author of the Confederacy was convicted of treason. Nazi Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop was hanged at Nuremberg. Confederate General John B. Gordon became a senator. Germany has spent the decades since World War II in national penance for Nazi crimes. America spent the decades after the Civil War transforming Confederate crimes into virtues. It is illegal to fly the Nazi flag in Germany. The Confederate flag is enmeshed in the state flag of Mississippi.
This section ignites my rage because of how true it is. How the South got away with/gets away with this shit is mind boggling. "It wasn't about slavery!"

I'm not a bad person for immediately viewing someone in a negative light who has a confederate flag on their truck/belt/house, am I?

kswiston

Welp, there goes another one.

I never get why people attempt to fight entire threads, even if you assume some brand of problematic ideology as a motivator. Is it a ploy for attention on a slow evening? Because the end result is pretty much always a grey name.

If your saying a word you got from a TV show and the reaction has been mostly negative, maybe think twice about saying it again instead of, "What? You guys haven't heard of 'insert show name'?"

LotusHD

Banned

Haha, sure

Breads

Banned
Glad to see people taking a proper stance against the wait and see arguement.

Also good to see people bringing up man in a high castle. I'm tired of these reprehensible flirtations with alt-history. Now is not the time for that shit. Not like this. Not by these people.

Sunster

Glad to see people taking a proper stance against the wait and see arguement.

Also good to see people bringing up man in a high castle. I'm tired of these reprehensible flirtations with alt-history. Now is not the time for that shit. Not like this. Not by these people.

yea something needs to actually be history first, done, over, in the past, before you can make altercations to it. everything except legal chattel slavery is still alive and well in the American South.

it's called whitesplaining here are some pics of it in action.

i5M7YQU.jpg

B4qRAQT.jpg

LtJ2S1H.jpg

6ZHwkQP.jpg

Oh god... the last pic, I spit out my water

entremet

Funny thing about article, Coates never says Confederate should not exist. He just explains why the pushback has been fierce and why the premise is weak.

I think this is where people who complain about PC culture gone amok get it wrong. Criticism is not censorship.

Nairume

Banned
If your saying a word you got from a TV show and the reaction has been mostly negative, maybe think twice about saying it again instead of, "What? You guys haven't heard of 'insert show name'?"
"Bububu south park, the smartest and most real liberal show ever, said fag now means annoying people, so it's okay for me to say it. Perhaps you are the true bigot for accusing me of being bad."

KevinRo

Funny thing about article, Coates never says Confederate should not exist. He just explains why the pushback has been fierce and why the premise is weak.

I think this is where people who complain about PC culture gone amok get it wrong. Criticism is not censorship.

This thread is a microcosm of what you just denied. Look at that one poster that got banned.

I've read Coates before and I detest how he can't seem to like something simply because it doesn't check all the boxes on his list. Read his *non-criticism* on the T.V. show 'Dear White People' if you want a short example.

Coates as an author of articles tries to rile up passions by castigating people as racists simply because they disagree with them. Not only that but how the author can take a simple innocuous statement and extrapolate it beyond reason is dangerous.

One of his most egregious examples of my last statement is when he starts flinging around the word 'racist' and 'racism'. There is an article in The Atlantic where he takes a harmless paragraph from a speech of HIllary Clinton and somehow portrays her as a racist for retelling history 'wrong' from his point of view. It's really insane if you stop to think about it. We're all racists because, according to Coates, we're retelling history wrong according to him. Because I believe that, I just simply ignored his criticism of this show and you should too.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

His argument is that it should not be produced since it would be morally degenerate and will cause damage to people, and the producers who have developed it are blind to this because they are morally deficient themselves.

Top Bottom