• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita TV Already Sold Out on Amazon Japan

wilflare

We're getting Dragon's Dogma Quest and PlayStation Mobile ports. What more could you possibly want? :p

Monster Hunter 4 and Bravely Default
/puts on flamesuit

EDIT: great.. top of page
but seriously though, I wonder how the 3rd Parties think of this change.
I do hope that Sony x Playsim Indie event coming up means more Japanese indies too

K.Sabot

I hope people consider playing games on this.

We need more vita games. I have enough Collaboration Battle Games.

Either some people here are stupid or just not understanding what this box is.

Guys, the more this sells, the better for Vita (that's both handheld and box for people not understanding somehow) in the long run. Market penetration. More devs. More games.

The only downside is it might limit taking advantage of the differences between the Vita and the Vita TV.

maybe sony intentions are what everyone is saying? kill off vita and go for another market, i can see this succeeding pretty well, if you look at it , gaiki will only make it easier for sony.

They won't kill off Vita if this thing is a success :lol. If this thing succeeds=more games for both Vita and Vita TV=OG Vita sales will be better.

Too bad I'm not convinced this will be a hit but oh GOD I hope it is.

xaosslug

IMO, PS4, Xbone, and WiiU are gonna have to watch out for VitaTV... it's basically a ridiculously affordable home console. LOL

VitaTV might end up eviscerating all home console gaming competition and resurrecting PSVita as an aside...

They won't kill off Vita if this thing is a success :lol. If this thing succeeds=more games for both Vita and Vita TV=OG Vita sales will be better.

Too bad I'm not convinced this will be a hit but oh GOD I hope it is.

no seriously im not convinced either, maybe because im not handheld gamer or whatever, but me saying that meaning you don't need a vita for this thing to work right?

sorry i might have missed something.

Sony doesn't really kill off platforms unless it's really old. PS1 and PS2 was sold for years after both became irrelevant. PSP is still not discontinued yet.

I think Sony is trying to mimic Apple in a good way. Making the PS3/Vita/PS4 and tablet ecosystem.

no seriously im not convinced either, maybe because im not handheld gamer or whatever, but me saying that meaning you don't need a vita for this thing to work right?

sorry i might have missed something.

?

Vita TV doesn't need Vita to work if that is what you are asking.

Eusis

Either some people here are stupid or just not understanding what this box is.

Guys, the more this sells, the better for Vita (that's both handheld and box for people not understanding somehow) in the long run. Market penetration. More devs. More games.
The only down side MAY be less serious use of the touch screen and back touch pad, but the former can be addressed with DS4 support (perhaps even skipping bundling DS3s in NA/EU at all?) and the latter... just let the L2/R2/L3/R3 buttons emulate that. And both of those can probably be handled by specific Vita TV modes anyway, IE an icon showing on the screen for where you're touching and requiring pressing down to activate as a touch perhaps.

Seriously though, yeah, the better this does the better the Vita does, so even if it ends up playing second fiddle I'd still want this to succeed wildly. Hell, given the state of AAA games it may well be what the industry needs in case the Android platforms don't or can't take off and Apple doesn't do anything worthwhile on their end.

Kuro

My extreme photoshop skills
245Alds.png

leroidys

As much as I want one of these now, I feel like it would be smart for SCEA to wait for the DS4 to come out, and pair it with that, not to mention more games will be patched to be functional by then (hopefully). The vita is in such a tenuous spot in NA, and the set top market is so competitive, that they really need to get it right out of the gate.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not surprising. Sony can just raise its own allowance for preorders if they exceed expectations (to a point). Amazon needs to request it to Sony before they can.

Though not exactly, since still an allocated number is an allocated number. As the prices are not that different you would imagine those who cant get one from amazon would head over to the official sony store. Its not like sony can make new units appear out of thin air for launch day pre-orders that are not produced yet.

$h@d0w

As much as I want one of these now, I feel like it would be smart for SCEA to wait for the DS4 to come out, and pair it with that, not to mention more games will be patched to be functional by then (hopefully). The vita is in such a tenuous spot in NA, and the set top market is so competitive, that they really need to get it right out of the gate.

I agree, maybe bundle it with software or PS+ like the Japanese one has (it has 3 months PS+).

Eusis

Sounds like an improvement to me.
There's a lot of utility for touch screens, else the DS and smart phones/tablets would've never taken off like they did, so while not depending on them in the stupid ways some games did (why the hell can't I use the D-pad/Analog stick for any of the menu stuff in some games that are mostly stick and button centric anyway?) it can be a shame to not support them entirely.

The back pad... yeah, I think that was kind of a bad idea in general. I just hope most games DO use the other L/R buttons to replicate the functions, they were usually just used like they were L2/R2 anyway.

I'm thinking that at $100, they can't include the DS4 with the Vita TV...

Man it is a shame Sony still hangs on to the memory cards now that they made this move. Imagine if they could release a Vita TV model with 16 gig internal memory or whatever, include a controller (DS4 probably at that point but DS3 is fine if it is cheaper) and have it for 99$ ect. That could potentially do great numbers if they play their cards right. While this model sounds good too it is a lil shame that it has still just a lil bit too high price point for people who do not own a DS3 or a Vita mem card. They should IMO drive the cost of this fucker down as fast as they can and bundle all the neccessities to get new customers instead of just old Vita owners.

Yeah Amazon is probably just being conservative in their cut off because they're still unsure of the exact allocation of units they'll be receiving from Sony. But at the very least this is an indication of fairly good consumer interest.

Abriael

Banned
Though not exactly, since still an allocated number is an allocated number. As the prices are not that different you would imagine those who cant get one from amazon would head over to the official sony store. Its not like sony can make new units appear out of thin air for launch day pre-orders that are not produced yet.

Which is why i said "to a point" production can definitely be increased to a point. Allocated numbers are absolute only if you aren't making a product.

Toki767

Man it is a shame Sony still hangs on to the memory cards now that they made this move. Imagine if they could release a Vita TV model with 16 gig internal memory or whatever, include a controller (DS4 probably at that point but DS3 is fine if it is cheaper) and have it for 99$ ect. That could potentially do great numbers if they play their cards right. While this model sounds good too it is a lil shame that it has still just a lil bit too high price point for people who do not own a DS3 or a Vita mem card. They should IMO drive the cost of this fucker down as fast as they can and bundle all the neccessities to get new customers instead of just old Vita owners.

If this thing fails to take off, their next strategy should be to enable portable hard drives or flash drives through the USB port.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Original Vita preorder was sold out after a few minutes after appearing on the Japanese Amazon iirc.

mujun

I don't get this thing.

Wouldn't it be better for gamers if Sony offered up a better Vita package (price and contents) combined with Vita games for download on PS3 and/or PS4.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only thing this offers remote play on a second TV with the PS4?

Top Bottom