• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita TV Already Sold Out on Amazon Japan

Sandfox

Minecraft.

Minecraft is popular but its just one game that's available on other popular devices and it doesn't have a release date on the Vita yet. This device could be popular with Children but I don't see Sony trying to repeat the attempt at children they did with the PSP.

I really hope they make significant investments into ensuring ps4 streaming latency is bearable. Especially once things start to hit 1080p 60fps. Really makes me wish ps4 had wifi direct like xbone. That signal bouncing around through my router to ps4 and back must create some issues.

You don't need wifi direct to have ad-hoc connection between devices. Hopefully, sony will be smart enough to provide that option.

TheChaos0

no seriously im not convinced either, maybe because im not handheld gamer or whatever, but me saying that meaning you don't need a vita for this thing to work right?

sorry i might have missed something.

Vita TV is a Vita, Vita 2000 is a Vita. It doesn't mater which one is selling more, because they are both Vitas. A 2DS selling more than 3DS XL is only better for 3DSs.

Bottom line is more Vitas sold = better. They are not going to discontinue the handheld version as that's currently the primary market in Japan. Vita TV is just another idea to try to make Vita's user base grow. And I think it's a good idea however how effective it's going to be is yet to be seen.

crinale

No. Not the game, I'm talking about 1080p netflix or local media server play.

I meant since game (PS4 streaming) have 1080i limit, they may have just put it as the universal limit to all outputs from Vita, so it doesn't change output format depending on what you are doing.
Just my speculation so I may be wrong.

On a 1080p TV any 1080i signal gets automatically converted to 1080p. Unless the content is more than 30hz, at that point the image on screen would be indistinguishable.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The only downside is it might limit taking advantage of the differences between the Vita and the Vita TV.

they are dumb smartphone gimmicks that if game developers really feel like their game needs something like that they will make it so that you can't play on Vita TV.

it doesn't preclude any game from including touch capabilities as long as the game can be played without them.

touch should only be a convenience unless that is the sole factor. in which case, they are probably going to want to stick to their laurels and design for a touch screen exclusively anyway

Would ad-hoc have enough range and bandwidth though?

Bandwidth will be sufficient. As for range, as long as the distance between your ps4 and vita is no larger than the distance between your ps4 and your router, I don't think it would be a problem.

The thing is, I'm not sure if ps4 can operate in ad-hoc mode while accessing the internet through the router as well. That may be a problem.

$h@d0w

I really hope they make significant investments into ensuring ps4 streaming latency is bearable. Especially once things start to hit 1080p 60fps. Really makes me wish ps4 had wifi direct like xbone. That signal bouncing around through my router to ps4 and back must create some issues.

You don't need wifi direct to have ad-hoc connection between devices. Hopefully, sony will be smart enough to provide that option.

The PS3 can already connect directly (without a router) to a PSP or Vita.

Direct, device to device: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/remoteplay/remotewireless.html

Via router: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/remoteplay/remotewired.html

AkIRA_22

Sony needs to sort out their product boxes. They are way too busy and far too 'Japanese' making a high end console look like a cheap digital camera.

The PS2 box was a work of art.... get to work Sony.

they are dumb smartphone gimmicks that if game developers really feel like their game needs something like that they will make it so that you can't play on Vita TV.

it doesn't preclude any game from including touch capabilities as long as the game can be played without them.

touch should only be a convenience unless that is the sole factor. in which case, they are probably going to want to stick to their laurels and design for a touch screen exclusively anyway

They don't have to be just dumb smartphone gimmicks. Tearaway is an example of this.

Oh I know, but I fear that Vita TV will simply outsell Vita several times (10x20 times) more during the same time frame

But the Vita plays the same games, so it would benefit from Vita TV's success. It will always be there for those of us who want it and like it, and it will become even more useful once the PS4 launches.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They don't have to be just dumb smartphone gimmicks. Tearaway is an example of this.

Which is fine. They can make it for touch screens then. Most games don't need them maybe so they can just be played with a normal controller

Gyros are going to be standard since dual shock 3 has them

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member

Thanks for the links, but I have doubts this works at 1080p 60. I really hope it does but a ps4 is only $300 more so I would be more inclined to just grab a second ps4 and not have the worry. I really really love the idea though, hope they start building it into TVs and Xperia phones as well!

Nisa65

Both the Vita and Wii U sold out within minutes when pre-orders went up on Amazon.jp so I wouldn't get too excited.

Holy shit the playstation ad (the one with the Killzone party lol) already has 850 000 views. I know views don't mean sales but its already the second most watched video on their channel.

Holy shit the playstation ad (the one with the Killzone party lol) already has 850 000 views. I know views don't mean sales but its already the second most watched video on their channel.

is multiple viewing counts in youtube views? I've replayed that video a couple times, love the music, it's really hyping you up

romulus91

with this, gakai, psn, vita, ps4 and mobile, sony have a beast in the making - an ecosystem that should be a must by the time next gen rolls around.... well done

see this is how you do it MS, with lubrication, not full force

One bad thing, depending on how you feel about this stuff, is if this thing becomes huge then you can probably say goodbye to future Vita games using more functions than what's found on a DS3. I think devs not using this stuff is far more likely than them coding in alternate control schemes.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Doesn't matter for Sony. A Vita TV sale is like a regular Vita sale for them.

That would be like saying that the 3DSXL selling more than the original model is bad for the 3DS.

The vitaTV is not a handheld though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Does the packaging come with an hdmi cable?

Yes.
uhfCDYr.jpg

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We really need to get away from this idea that Sony bastardise their sales of one device because of another. It doesn't matter at all if the VitaTV takes off and the Vita sales don't. What matters is the content because content is what garners more support and makes Sony the money. Whether it's the VitaTV or the Vita, it's still a Vita sale anyway.

Vita tv was the smartest idea Sony had in ages.The future definitely looks brighter for Vita now.

I only care about this if it translates into more Vita game sales. I love my Vita for the ps1 games but it wouldn't hurt to have some new devs create new games.

I doubt VitaTV will be successful at that though. I just don't see Sony devoting the necessary marketing effort for this device.

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member
I only care about this if it translates into more Vita game sales. I love my Vita for the ps1 games but it wouldn't hurt to have some new devs create new games.

I doubt VitaTV will be successful at that though. I just don't see Sony devoting the necessary marketing effort for this device.

Agreed but it at least makes the $499 vita (tv) pack in bundle a possibility, which is a very compelling proposition.

bakedpony

Games like Muramasa Baby would probably not work with the Vita Tv. After all, the premise of the game is to guide the character by your hand/finger.

Top Bottom