• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita TV Already Sold Out on Amazon Japan

I don't get this thing.

Wouldn't it be better for gamers if Sony offered up a better Vita package (price and contents) combined with Vita games for download on PS3 and/or PS4.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only thing this offers remote play on a second TV with the PS4?
It is like an Ouya with better games which also can stream from a PS4.

Sandfox

KH1.5 and/or 2.5

IT IS NOT TOO LATE SQUARE!

I was refering to original content, but KH HD will probably happen eventually.

There is a lot of games that makes sense. What works for the 3DS would work for the Vita when the install base builds up.

SE really doesn't support handhelds anymore outside of the DQ ports we've been getting and BD. Capcom on the other hand pretty much just has AA which wouldn't be likely and it would be a bad idea to split up the MH fanbase between two devices.

Toki767

There is a lot of games that makes sense. What works for the 3DS would work for the Vita when the install base builds up.

I would love Theatrhythm on the Vita. Hell, even the iOS version of The World Ends With You would be great.

As for Capcom's output, I kind of wonder what they feel the install base needs to be for them to seriously consider putting Monster Hunter on it.

hamchan

I don't get this thing.

Wouldn't it be better for gamers if Sony offered up a better Vita package (price and contents) combined with Vita games for download on PS3 and/or PS4.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only thing this offers remote play on a second TV with the PS4?

This thing is $100. That's really cheap for PS1, PSP and Vita compatibility, as well as PS4 remote play.

SgtCobra

I don't get this thing.

It's a "cheap" console which can do well for families who don't have a lot of money for a next gen console/ xbox 360 (which is cheap though) or PS3, they could also try to sell this in developing countries.
It plays PS1, PSP and PSV games, it's also a mid/low tier media box (no 1080p..sigh Sony..)

Noshino

Monster Hunter 4 and Bravely Default
/puts on flamesuit

EDIT: great.. top of page
but seriously though, I wonder how the 3rd Parties think of this change.
I do hope that Sony x Playsim Indie event coming up means more Japanese indies too

Given how many of them are already supporting dual release (and some of them going as far as supporting YOBO) I think they'll love this move.

As much as I want one of these now, I feel like it would be smart for SCEA to wait for the DS4 to come out, and pair it with that, not to mention more games will be patched to be functional by then (hopefully). The vita is in such a tenuous spot in NA, and the set top market is so competitive, that they really need to get it right out of the gate.

Why wait?

People already have DS3s, sure they might not be able to play many Vita games, but the price of entry is low.

If users want to play games that only work with DS4 then they'll either use one that came with their PS4 or buy extra ones, which they are more likely to do now that they already have the Vita TV.

This is by far a pretty smart move by Sony

I would love Theatrhythm on the Vita. Hell, even the iOS version of The World Ends With You would be great.

As for Capcom's output, I kind of wonder what they feel the install base needs to be for them to seriously consider putting Monster Hunter on it.

Never enough ;)

They would actually have to make new non PS2 era assets

mujun

It's a "cheap" console which can do well for families who don't have a lot of money for a next gen console/ xbox 360 (which is cheap though) or PS3, they could also try to sell this in developing countries.
It plays PS1, PSP and PSV games, it's also a mid/low tier media box (no 1080p..sigh Sony..)

I suppose so.

Seems like it could be confusing to the average consumer.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Not surprised, I think a lot of the sales would be people who were previously on the fence with the Vita but didn't want to risk the investment.

Plus... it's REALLY cheap for what it does. Glad to see it kick off so well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh I know, but I fear that Vita TV will simply outsell Vita several times (10x20 times) more during the same time frame

I don't understand how people don't understand, anyone of the 2 sold is a good thing, so throwing random numbers out

vita sells 50,000 units
vitatv moves 250,000 units

Developers think, well damn there's 300,000 more units right there that could potentially buy my game. Vita software sales will skyrocket. Hell I expect Golden Abyss sales to spike a fair amount (or at least ps+ downloads), given the fact that if you don't have a vita, you haven't had a chance to play it. I made a thread trying to clarify how there is nothing bad about this for vita... any sale is a good sale.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
I don't understand how people don't understand, anyone of the 2 sold is a good thing, so throwing random numbers out

vita sells 50,000 units
vitatv moves 250,000 units

Developers think, well damn there's 300,000 more units right there that could potentially buy my game. Vita software sales will skyrocket. Hell I expect Golden Abyss sales to spike a fair amount (or at least ps+ downloads), given the fact that if you don't have a vita, you haven't had a chance to play it. I made a thread trying to clarify how there is nothing bad about this for vita... any sale is a good sale.

This thing is brilliant. I really had no interest in Vita, but now I am planning on buying a Vita and a VitaTV.

Raonak

Banned
no seriously im not convinced either, maybe because im not handheld gamer or whatever, but me saying that meaning you don't need a vita for this thing to work right?

sorry i might have missed something.

A lot of people seem confused. VitaTV is just a normal vita without the screen or controls, but supporting dualshock3/4 and having hdmi out.

It's the exact same hardware, exact same OS, exact same library (ps1, psp) and a few less PSV games than normal vita.
Vita already has the media streaming apps, it already has/will have the remote play for PS4 extending. Essentially everything the vitaTV can do at a software level, the Vita normal can do too.

It is literally a vita in a box. If you have a VitaTV. you have a vita. thus the name. comparing this to the Vita is like comparing the 3DS to the XL, or the 2DS.

That's why it's such a genius move by sony. The vitaTV doesn't compete with the Vita. it targets a totally different market. And if successful, will expand the audience greatly.meaning more vita games. and thats a good thing.

Right now, 7 out of the top 10 on Amazon.jp video game list are Vita related. Apparently someone is interested in this stuff. I asked in the media create thread last week if anyone else thought the Sony presentation would boost Vita sales, but had no takers. The TV thing was a little unexpected though.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Why are you buying both rather than just the TV if you don't care about the Vita?

Well, it would be nice to have access to my new Vita games on the go. I haven't paid any attention to Vita (not really a portable gamer), but with the synergy between PS4, VitaTV and Vita, I can easily justify the $200 for it.

In my opinion the Vita TV is a great idea.

PS4 - Next gen
PS3 - Current Gen
Vita - Hand held
Vita tv - Budget console for children.

Nintendo missed a trick here....

Sandfox

In my opinion the Vita TV is a great idea.

PS4 - Next gen
PS3 - Current Gen
Vita - Hand held
Vita tv - Budget console for children.

Nintendo missed a trick here....

This device is probably going to appeal more to hardcore gamers than it is to children given the games on the device.

klee123

Well, I'm mainly just thinking with regards of DQ and MH, which are S-E's and Capcom's most popular franchises in Japan. I just don't see them being any of Sony's platforms at all since Nintendo pretty much have both IPs on full lockdown.

Of course other IPs shouldn't be an issue.

wilflare

imagine
Gravity Rush on that big screen
Final Fantasy Type-0 on that big screen

hopefully it allows some kind of instant resume to the Vita to play on the go but oh well

hmm I wonder how this will affect multiplatform titles like Rayman Legends for example
will people opt to buy the Vita version that is cheaper and well almost as good

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
So do we know how many units Amazon had allocated for pre-orders?

My goal is to get a PS4 and Vita TV before December. Looks like Play-Asia is my only choice.

imagine
Gravity Rush on that big screen
Final Fantasy Type-0 on that big screen

hopefully it allows some kind of instant resume to the Vita to play on the go but oh well

hmm I wonder how this will affect multiplatform titles like Rayman Legends for example
will people opt to buy the Vita version that is cheaper and well almost as good

If we'd get patches for local multiplayer with two dualshock 3 controllers in fighting games like MVC3 and Mortal Kombat it will be amazing but also very unlikely.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
isn't it incompatible with vita tv though?

With all the vita TV threads it's hard to remember what I posted and didn't lol. Yeah that is being discussed a lot, but I imagine this and any other big title will be patched when given the opportunity to reach a larger audience. The charcoal rubbings are tough, but for the most part everything else was optional anyways. The swipe QTEs just become buttons, the paddling in the canoe becomes analog based, the grenades go to the regular UC grenades, etc. It's a very simple patch, with the potential for tons of sales. I'm sure sony gave the heads up to their studios about this anyways, and probably are well underway for a solution to it. It's also good, because going forward companies can bear in mind that they have to include a way to control it on the vitaTV.

kuroshiki

Vita hardware wise is more than enough to pull 1080p stream. I don't know why it got omitted there. Perhaps future firmware update can fix that.

cluderi

Fantastic idea IMHO.

For supported games Sony just sold me a PS1 ( hopefully PS2 in the future ) PSP, PS vita that allows me to remote stream PS4 games and stream media to another screen.

crinale

Vita hardware wise is more than enough to pull 1080p stream. I don't know why it got omitted there. Perhaps future firmware update can fix that.

I think it's due to bandwidth of streaming.
The 1080P requires double bandwidth compared to 1080i or 720P.

ProcrasDANation

Neo Member
I really hope they make significant investments into ensuring ps4 streaming latency is bearable. Especially once things start to hit 1080p 60fps. Really makes me wish ps4 had wifi direct like xbone. That signal bouncing around through my router to ps4 and back must create some issues.

Top Bottom