• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita TV Already Sold Out on Amazon Japan

$h@d0w

Someone needs to read the faq

I bet Sony have a dude reading all the Vita TV threads right now, who's just copy and pasting all the questions and answers for the website material for the western release of this.

2369727-62202_10151337857506834_488826307_n.jpg

RaikuHebi

Banned
This will do well to market handheld Vitas as well. People will buy the Vita TV, like the games and then think "I could play these games ANYWHERE?" and bang.

In the future they should look towards making a Vita Xperia. Then things will get really spicy.

Games like Muramasa Baby would probably not work with the Vita Tv. After all, the premise of the game is to guide the character by your hand/finger.
Murasaki Baby and Tearaway are designed from the ground up to be portable experiences, hence the extensive use of touch.
One of the knocks against Vita used by detractors is that they don't want gimped console games with useless gimmicks like charcoal rubbing.

If they can patch out the awkward touch stuff in Gravity Rush, VitaTV with Ds4 could end up the best way to play that game.

Theonik

True, but how hard can it be to source 2-3 year old components and put them into a little $100 box.
Not a sourcing issue, I would guess Sony isn't going to be making 200k of those things for launch considering how bold a move it is even if they can. That being said, their final allocation might be orders of maginitude more than they expected depending on demand. But avoiding stuffing retailers is smart.

Would doubt they could at $99... Apple TV does not include one.
PS Vita TV actually incudes the HDMI cable though. (scroll to the specs where it lists package contents for both SKUs) Apple is just cheap, though to be fair HDMI cables are cheap and a lot of people have plenty of spares.

On a 1080p TV any 1080i signal gets automatically converted to 1080p. Unless the content is more than 30hz, at that point the image on screen would be indistinguishable.
Considering this is a game system though including 1080p would probably have been smart. Also the Vita should scale a lot better at 1080p than in 720p so that's another thing to consider.

Applecot

Honestly I don't care if this does well or badly as long as it means more Vita support going forward.

I can definitely see the value proposition in the VitaTV but it's just not something I want at this point in time.

Drek

I only care about this if it translates into more Vita game sales. I love my Vita for the ps1 games but it wouldn't hurt to have some new devs create new games.

I doubt VitaTV will be successful at that though. I just don't see Sony devoting the necessary marketing effort for this device.

It will obviously result in more Vita game sales, as that's what the thing plays. If it sells at the exact same sluggish rate as the Vita handheld you're still effectively doubling user base and software sales.

The level of it's success and therefore level of it's software sales will dictate just how much appeal the platform will have to developers, but you'd be crazy to think that this hasn't made all publishers sit up and take notice of the platform again. It's a very compelling new angle with a killer price point.

Taker666

It will obviously result in more Vita game sales, as that's what the thing plays. If it sells at the exact same sluggish rate as the Vita handheld you're still effectively doubling user base and software sales.

The level of it's success and therefore level of it's software sales will dictate just how much appeal the platform will have to developers, but you'd be crazy to think that this hasn't made all publishers sit up and take notice of the platform again. It's a very compelling new angle with a killer price point.

Not really.

It may well be that the primary consumer who will buy Vita TV is someone who already owns a Vita and just wants the ability to play those games on tv. If that's primarily the case you're not doubling the userbase or selling more software..you're simply giving existing users a new way to play.

Not really.

It may well be that the primary consumer who will buy Vita TV is someone who already owns a Vita and just wants the ability to play those games on tv. If that's primarily the case you're not doubling the userbase or selling more software..you're simply giving existing users a new way to play.

Not going to happen hahaha

Baki

Not really.

Developers won't know that though. :p Also its incredibly unlikely to have a 100% attach rate between Vita owners and VITA TV owners. Even something as significant as 30% is very unlikely.

So from 5m a year to about 10m. Its a nice increase.

I'd love to know what Sony's sales expectations for this thing were and what they are now.
For as far as we know they may of just thrown this out there and don't have any intention of releasing it outside of Japan.

Baki

I'd love to know what Sony's sales expectations for this thing were and what they are now.
For as far as we know they may of just thrown this out there and don't have any intention of releasing it outside of Japan.

I don't think you bring out the President of SCE just to announce a throwaway product.

StiLt

Would/will snap one of these in a heartbeat for UK. Could grab this and a launch PS4 for the price of an X1. Its crazy how well this cheap little device will compliment the capabilites and ecosystem. Even just in the second tv streaming for PS4 is worth it, let alone being a standalone console + streaming media box.

Would be maximum awesome if you can use it to stream local multiplayer feeds to a second screen rather than using split screen. Would be a game changer for me.

Sami+

I'm not personally interested in one at the moment (I'm playing Dokuro on my Vita right now, haha), but I'm excited to see it doing so well. I really hope this means it'll get more support in the future. Let's see that Japanese support. :D

Not going to happen hahaha

I honestly wouldn't mind. I've kind of gotten used to playing things on a bigger screen and only want to use my Vita on planes now (if I'm not preoccupied by my iPad). Truthfully, I may not have ever bought a Vita (despite its great hardware) if I knew this was coming. But hey, if you don't canabalize you're own market, someone else will do it for you, right?

Agreed and that's primarily why I wish it success.

But it feels like people will be purchasing this as an accessory to the PS4 which means it might not necessarily lead to Vita software sales. And gave devs have already shifted their attention to nextgen platforms while also creating games for the current gen. How they can make some time, space and free up some money for a decent AAA Vita game is beyond me.

$100 is a brilliant move. But I want to see some Sony marketing muscle behind this.

Would/will snap one of these in a heartbeat for UK. Could grab this and a launch PS4 for the price of an X1. Its crazy how well this cheap little device will compliment the capabilites and ecosystem. Even just in the second tv streaming for PS4 is worth it, let alone being a standalone console + streaming media box.
I'm the same in NA, and I don't think we're alone. I'm not surprised Amazon Japan sold out of the initial shipment, because at a $99 I think these things will sell like crazy. I'll buy two at launch for the household TVs that won't have a PS4 attached, but the huge PSX/PSP/Vita library combined with Netflix access in a tiny little box makes this a tremendous value. I think Sony has a winner here. They absolutely need to release a conventional AV style remote for it, though...

Midou

I'm curious whether they will start patching/updating games that are major to be compatible with it specifically. I'm sure with the L2/R2 buttons and L3/R3 clicking, it can remove the need for the touchscreens for most games. I realize some of them work off specific actions, but it's not always absolutely necessary, if the Vita TV did really well, they could probably make more specific modifications to the games too.

Hell, if the Vita TV ends up being more popular than the Vita itself, most games will probably just stop making heavy use of touch screens, which is great as far as I'm concerned. :p

Kind of seems like a huge waste to not use the PS4 controller though, but I know it would make bundles more expensive. They could have offloaded certain touchscreen functionality to the PS4 controller, even if it would not be quite the same.

wilflare

I'm curious whether they will start patching/updating games that are major to be compatible with it specifically. I'm sure with the L2/R2 buttons and L3/R3 clicking, it can remove the need for the touchscreens for most games. I realize some of them work off specific actions, but it's not always absolutely necessary, if the Vita TV did really well, they could probably make more specific modifications to the games too.

Hell, if the Vita TV ends up being more popular than the Vita itself, most games will probably just stop making heavy use of touch screens, which is great as far as I'm concerned. :p

Kind of seems like a huge waste to not use the PS4 controller though, but I know it would make bundles more expensive. They could have offloaded certain touchscreen functionality to the PS4 controller, even if it would not be quite the same.

DS4 support will be patched in later so I guess it's still pretty awesome :D

RPGCrazied

Hope it makes it here, though there isn't to many Vita games that I must play, except for maybe Persona 4 golden. There is however a slew of PSP games I'd like to play, question is if they are even compatible. Like Crisis Core isn't. That should get the HD treatment anyway, some year.

Midou

DS4 support will be patched in later so I guess it's still pretty awesome :D

Yeah I suspect it will be, it just seems like, say they release it now, it sells well, everyone goes and updates their games so they are compatible, then DS4 comes out, all of a sudden you got touch screen, though obviously would not work identical to the Vita ones, does everyone go back and modify their games again?

Though I think it's wishful thinking anyone will change anything... I really want to play Gravity Rush with a nice standard controller though, everytime I go to play I fall in love with the feel and look of the game but those controls always turn me off.

Arthea

It's kinda weird that there was no mention of western release so far.
Or I missed something?
Sony should ride the hype wave and release Vita TV in the west really fast, I think.

Mung

This thing has massive potential at that price.

A huge number of games from:
Vita
Ps1
Psp
PS mobile
PS+

This plus netflix and other non gaming aspects cover the casual crowd nicely.

Add in ps4 streaming and that brings in the hardcore.

Add in future potential Gaikai support for ps3 plus possibly even ps4 and this thing could be amazing.

StiLt

I'm the same in NA, and I don't think we're alone. I'm not surprised Amazon Japan sold out of the initial shipment, because at a $99 I think these things will sell like crazy. I'll buy two at launch for the household TVs that won't have a PS4 attached, but the huge PSX/PSP/Vita library combined with Netflix access in a tiny little box makes this a tremendous value. I think Sony has a winner here. They absolutely need to release a conventional AV style remote for it, though...

Indeed. It's well under the impulse buy price threshold, and it's appeal and conveniences are both tangible and readily apparent. Particularly for families or those in share houses. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Midou

This thing has massive potential at that price.

A huge number of games from:
Vita
Ps1
Psp
PS mobile
PS+

This plus netflix and other non gaming aspects cover the casual crowd nicely.

Add in ps4 streaming and that brings in the hardcore.

Add in future potential Gaikai support for ps3 plus possibly even ps4 and this thing could be amazing.

Yep, if they market it right, it's a box you attach to your TV for $100 and turn it into a sort of Smart TV. One that also plays a huge library of games.

Oppo

They absolutely need to release a conventional AV style remote for it, though...
Well you wouldn't necessarily need one with HDMI-CEC... I use my Panny TV remote to control the PS3 all the time.

Then again the PS3 dedicated AV remote is Bluetooth, wonder if that would just work on Vita TV as-is...

Jotaka

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...shes_why_is_Sony_still_gunning_for_indies.php
As part of the company's (sony) fiscal forecast for the current year, it predicts that in total around 5 million PS Vitas and PSPs will be sold combined.

DigitalOp

Banned
Not really.

You both are forgetting the thing is 100 bucks...

Its pretty much selling itself at that price.. even the 150 for the full package isn't a big difference

Anyone preorder + tenso.com it to the US? Thinking about doing so... Not sure what retailer to pick now that Amazon is sold out though, as I see it's available at Yodobashi and Bic. Anywhere else?

Roubjon

Jeez, if they attach Gaikai streaming to this thing, which they probably will, then it will basically be the Netflix of all Playstation games. But it's even more than that because you can stream your PS4, play your vita, and use every digital psx game you own. That's so insane.

BadWolf

Jeez, if they attach Gaikai streaming to this thing, which they probably will, then it will basically be the Netflix of all Playstation games. But it's even more than that because you can stream your PS4, play your vita, and use every digital psx game you own. That's so insane.

Wonder if they are waiting on Gakai to launch in NA before bringing VTV over.

Things I've learned from VitaTV threads so far:

Gonzo and randiangamer are goofballs

I like toast
I like waffles (I see a pattern here)
For the most part, everyone sees it as a really good idea, but its potential depends on Gaikai

And yeah, not surprised Amazon Japan sold out. It's probably a Chromecast situation of 'I want it! I didn't know I wanted it, BUT I DO'

Top Bottom