• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

Timeaisis

I think the beginning hard, but fun. I almost quit as well, but not far lack of interesting gameplay, I just kept dying. There's a certain point I reached where I fell in love, however.

If you are enjoying yourself I recommend trying to make it to the first boss to be able to start levelling, which will help a lot. If your find yourself being more frustrated than entertained, maybe BB isn't for you.

Good luck.

I always try to pull the one who is last in their group so the others don't notice. Sometimes they just do for some reason. Yeah, obviously body pulling needs a lot of practice, but I'd hope you don't need that in the starting area.

Isn't that boss with that Insight optional? Stumbling into him seems to be the accurate term. I just think gating the ability to level up behind an item you might encounter way too late if you're new and unlucky seems to be a bad idea. The item I was taking about seems to be called Madmans Knowledge and I recall getting the first takes a guide if you want it fast enough.

Yeah i already acknlowledged that I might have problems adapting to the new combat, but still that first corridor without the ability to level up is some really offputting stuff, and it seems I'm not alone with that opinion, some people who beat the game seem to share it.

I really appreciate the help people offer me in this thread and I'll try to follow it but outside of that I would like to avoid that kinda stuff for my first playthrough and I hope after I overcome that dumb beginning I can go on my own.

Yeah someone else gave me the same advice. Will definetly try the axe. And thanks!

If no one mentioned it, run past the wolves on the bridge.

Then turn left down the stairs, dodging past the hunter, into the building. Down the stairs, through the building and outside again, run up the stairs that turn to the right and unlock that gate for a huge short cut.

That'll make your run back to the boss a lot easier.

psychotron

I just stayed on the stairs and would let one person see me then fall back. I'd lure them out in groups of one or two. Section is easy as balls if you're patient.

Futaleufu

I didn't like the fact that in the beginning one of the weapons is way better than the other, and that the "estus flasks" don't refill when you die. Once you get the strats down It was faster to just restart the game with the improved setup.

Ydelnae

As a newcomer, the first two hours of constant dying and not knowing what to do to improve myself at the game were straight up trash (I think the game expects you to already be familiar to its systems, and as a person who had not touched a single Souls game before, it was very confusing). Thankfully, the game comes together once you can buy more weapons and level up, but I fully understand anyone who could feel frustrated by the beginning of the game if they hadn't played any other Souls game before. I ended up loving it, but I didn't see what was so amazing about this game until I kept playing.

MTC100

Banned
Started playing the game today too, you get save points when beating bosses I think. I also encountered my first boss and he rekted me quite hard, it's an ex-hunter I think, after a long bridge. Luckily the game has short cuts, I now have one that leads directly to said boss which is about a 1-2 minute walk from the only save point I too have so far, so it's not that bad. I had to beat a huge Swine in the sewers to reach him though, lol...

I think I will be able to beat him tomorrow but now I have to sleep ^^

As a newcomer, the first two hours of constant dying and not knowing what to do to improve myself at the game were straight up trash (I think the game expects you to already be familiar to its systems, and as a person who had not touched a single Souls game before, it was very confusing). Thankfully, the game comes together once you can buy more weapons and level up, but I fully understand anyone who could feel frustrated by the beginning of the game if they hadn't played any other Souls game before. I ended up loving it, but I didn't see what was so amazing about this game until I kept playing.

Yeah, the start was rough as hell, the game didn't even bother to tell me how to equip a gun, I figured it out after about half an hour in the game, so yes, I played without countering attacks, just trying to dodge everything. Luckily it still worked well enough, I've played Dark Souls 1 so I already kinda knew the drill.

I didn't like the fact that in the beginning one of the weapons is way better than the other, and that the "estus flasks" don't refill when you die. Once you get the strats down It was faster to just restart the game with the improved setup.

Well, the cane absolutely destroys the first two bosses, so that's the best starter in my opinion.

Oni Jazar

Challenge is one thing but I just think it was a mistake putting such a massive test of skill so early in the game and giving the player no other real options besides just beating it. Again the rest of the game doesn't have this issue since there's usually plenty of shortcuts that makes travelling back to the bosses not as tedious and if something is really giving you grief it can be put off so I think it's a problem that the very beginning of the game where people are trying out the game they aren't given those luxuries.

I think it's great. Welcome to Bloodborne: It's not going to lull you into a false sense of security it's going to slap you in the face until you learn to GIT GUD. That's a souls game for you. Harsh but fair.

As a newcomer, the first two hours of constant dying and not knowing what to do to improve myself at the game were straight up trash (I think the game expects you to already be familiar to its systems, and as a person who had not touched a single Souls game before, it was very confusing).

The first game (Demons) was like that as well. Most all the Souls games are. They expect you to struggle and to surmount. That's the epitome of all soulsborne.

*Splinter

Was my first Souls game too, I agree the beginning was the most difficult part (problem with all Souls games it seems) but I strongly disagree about it being "trash". Take your time, explore fully. Appreciate that progress is being made by shortcuts found and becoming more familiar with the controls, rather than just getting to the next bonfire or levelling up.

I didn't run past enemies btw, except for the two werewolf things on the bridge. You learn pretty quickly not to fuck with those.

I can't quite remember/figure out where you are. It sounds like just past the bonfire surrounded by enemies including snipers and dogs, but I don't think I had to do that section more than once or twice, maybe you're missing a shortcut?

People are just going to say "git good" but honestly the first stretch of Bloodborne until the Cleric Beast turned me off of the game for a while, and this is coming from someone that had beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a very long segment and the werewolves near the boss are really tough until you get used to them due to how hard they hit and how much punishment they can take. There's tons of shortcuts through the game but to my knowledge there's none that let you get to the Cleric Beast any easier from the first lamp.
The run from the lamp to the Cleric Beast is one of the shortest ever other than something like Maria.

The shortcut gate is directly behind the lamp, you go down the stairs, in to the house, up the stairs, turn left and you're there. It must take about 10 seconds to get there and the wolves shouldn't even notice you because they are to your right, Cleric Beast to your left.

I feel you OP, but I think once you know the area more, your initial frustrations will probably be forgotten. There are a lot of enemies in that first area, with the central bonfire, but they're all in groups of only 3 or 4 - unless you run in and get them all on your tail. Even if you do, all or most will leash as you pass through into the next section, with the giant banging on the door (who conveniently turns around perfectly timed so that you can run up and do a fully charged R2 for a one-hit kill visceral attack).

Whatever starter weapon you have, you should have some crowd control options, with the cleaver (the best weapon imo) it is the transform attack (L1) which is great for hitting multiple enemies and staggering them giving you breathing room.

Wamb0wneD

I edited my post heavily on Page 3, really hope it helps, OP.

I have Platinum Bloodborne twice on both Taiwanese and Japanese version of the game, and sink more than 600 hours into it. It is absolutely incredible. A must play for Souls fans.
Don't give up on it, you are tougher than this.

Also, if you are just exploring around the map and not really trying to progress further then I suggest you not waste any bloodvials at all, sometime it's better to just die if the lamp(bonfire) is near. Too many Bloodborne player waste their bloodvial without actually thinking, some people even heal right before they return to the Hunter's Dream, which is utterly moronic.

If you are about the die and you are right next to the lamp, then It's better to just die, as you can pick up your bloodstain right after you spawn. There's no loss whatsoever. Don't waste your bloodvials like that.

I have never even once farmed bloodvials during my 600 hours, because I never waste them, therefore I never actually run out of bloodvials.

Thank you for the effort, really appreciate it! I really like Souls and always was interested in the vibe Bloodborne has, including the faster paced combat, but it seems I have quite a bit of problems adapting to that pace after 300 hours of DS. Maybe I'm just getting old haha.

Yeah I guess after you have a lamp, used up your xp and go explore casually without thinking of progressing much or survival the game will get a bit more forgiving. The fact I can't level up until I beat a boss is just kind of offputting i guess.

Curufinwe

People are just going to say "git good" but honestly the first stretch of Bloodborne until the Cleric Beast turned me off of the game for a while, and this is coming from someone that had beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a very long segment and the werewolves near the boss are really tough until you get used to them due to how hard they hit and how much punishment they can take. There's tons of shortcuts through the game but to my knowledge there's none that let you get to the Cleric Beast any easier from the first lamp. Sure once you're skilled you can get through it no problem but for someone getting used to the game it's a really challenging section and unlike later parts of the game your only options are either beat the Cleric Beast or take out the even tougher Father Gascoigne. (Although I actually found him way easier then the Cleric Beast) Later on the game opens up quite a bit and if one area is giving you a hard time there's other areas that you can check out so you can level up a bit while still making progress through the game. But Bloodborne gives you a a massive roadblock almost instantly in the game and locks the entire rest of the game behind it. Sure you can just run past everything but for new players running past them means that you don't get blood to level up and have a better chance against the boss so until they just get impatient killing the torch dudes for the 50th time they're probably going to keep killing them so they can buy more vials and moltovs to help with the Werewolves and the boss.

Challenge is one thing but I just think it was a mistake putting such a massive test of skill so early in the game and giving the player no other real options besides just beating it. Again the rest of the game doesn't have this issue since there's usually plenty of shortcuts that makes travelling back to the bosses not as tedious and if something is really giving you grief it can be put off so I think it's a problem that the very beginning of the game where people are trying out the game they aren't given those luxuries.

You don't have to fight the wolves to get to the cleric beast.

*Splinter

Started playing the game today too, you get save points when beating bosses I think. I also encountered my first boss and he rekted me quite hard, it's an ex-hunter I think, after a long bridge. Luckily the game has short cuts, I now have one that leads directly to said boss which is about a 1-2 minute walk from the only save point I too have so far, so it's not that bad. I think I will be able to beat him tomorrow but now I have to sleep ^^
Don't read this if you care about spoilers:
That's actually the "2nd" boss :p

Floody

I think I watched someone getting the first Madmans Knowledge as fast as possible. He was running through all and everything for 5 minutes or so. I don't think that's how new people are supposed to play.

Yeah, they expect them to run into the Cleric Beast instead. But if you like to explore you're likely to find it just as easily.
New people should learn running past enemies is a viable option though, especially at the start of BB when there's about 20 enemies in 1 area. I usually just force myself to clear a area once, then running past it is fair game.

MTC100

Banned
I don't think the bonfire part where there are about 20 or so enemies around was that hard though. I just threw two molotov and killed 6 or more of them, then the others came in groups of 2 mostly and were ready to die by my hands.

The tricky part are the Gunners, you will want to killt hem asap, they are to the left and right of the bonfire you reach them by going up the stairs, the right one is the easiest to reach, just go to where the doggy is hiding besides the wagon, kill it and get up there.

MTC100

Banned
Don't read this if you care about spoilers:
That's actually the "2nd" boss :p

Yeah, thought so, everyone was talking about some kind of beast as the first boss and as the swine wasn't really strong enough to be a boss I'd figure that this guy must be the second or third one. I wonder though where the first boss is but well, I'll figure it out I guess, after killing that guy first. -By the way, the game knows that I've encountered him as my personal first boss as the "doll" mentioned him and I think finding the boss was needed to trigger her to be seen.

III-V

Yeah, thought so, everyone was talking about some kind of beast as the first boss and as the swine wasn't really strong enough to be a boss I'd figure that this guy must be the second or third one. I wonder though where the first boss is but well, I'll figure it out I guess, after killing that guy first. -By the way, the game knows that I've encountered him as my personal first boss as the "doll" mentioned him and I think finding the boss was needed to trigger her to be seen.

Yes, that is correct. If you check your inventory, you will see something else has changed as well.

Tuck

Coming from DS, I had a ton of trouble with the beginning of BB - must of died half a hundred times in the first opening areas. It gets easier. Alter your strategy, learn to parry. May need to rewire your brain - this aint DS.

Wamb0wneD

If no one mentioned it, run past the wolves on the bridge.

Then turn left down the stairs, dodging past the hunter, into the building. Down the stairs, through the building and outside again, run up the stairs that turn to the right and unlock that gate for a huge short cut.

That'll make your run back to the boss a lot easier.

Thanks! I think If I can circumvent that huge corridor with the giant bonfire via shortcut I'll be a happy camper. And once I'm able to level up all will be fine (lol nah, but It will be less frusttrating for sure.)

The run from the lamp to the Cleric Beast is one of the shortest ever other than something like Maria.

The shortcut gate is directly behind the lamp, you go down the stairs, in to the house, up the stairs, turn left and you're there. It must take about 10 seconds to get there and the wolves shouldn't even notice you because they are to your right, Cleric Beast to your left.

I feel you OP, but I think once you know the area more, your initial frustrations will probably be forgotten. There are a lot of enemies in that first area, with the central bonfire, but they're all in groups of only 3 or 4 - unless you run in and get them all on your tail. Even if you do, all or most will leash as you pass through into the next section, with the giant banging on the door (who conveniently turns around perfectly timed so that you can run up and do a fully charged R2 for a one-hit kill visceral attack).

Whatever starter weapon you have, you should have some crowd control options, with the cleaver (the best weapon imo) it is the transform attack (L1) which is great for hitting multiple enemies and staggering them giving you breathing room.

Seems like I missed one shortcut. Let's hope I can figure that stuff out. By the way are there no visceral attacks from behind? I tried with one hunter who always had his back to me and never managed. Countering and finishing them off works just fine though.

Experien

Does the OP just overlevel his characters in these games?

The beginning was a bit of a road block for me too but nothing that seemed awful. The only difference with this and say the beginning of Demon's Souls is this you can't block and have to be more mobile. Otherwise, both games threw a ton of obstacles at once at you.

In place of putting "git gud," I will say try to learn the finer points of attacks, the bullet parry, and the dodge mechanic. Especially the dodge since I beat the game before I figured out how parrying really worked with guns. This is a fast game so you need to be comfortable with the dodge and not just tank it.

Wamb0wneD

Coming from DS, I had a ton of trouble with the beginning of BB - must of died half a hundred times in the first opening areas. It gets easier. Alter your strategy, learn to parry. May need to rewire your brain - this aint DS.

Yup, seems to be the core issue i have.

Does the OP just overlevel his characters in these games?

The beginning was a bit of a road block for me too but nothing that seemed awful. The only difference with this and say the beginning of Demon's Souls is this you can't block and have to be more mobile. Otherwise, both games threw a ton of obstacles at once at you.

In place of putting "git gud," I will say try to learn the finer points of attacks, the bullet parry, and the dodge mechanic. Especially the dodge since I beat the game before I figured out how parrying really worked with guns. This is a fast game so you need to be comfortable with the dodge and not just tank it.

Overleveling is not my intention no. But wailing through 30 or 40 enemies, learning where people try to sneak up on me and then not being able to level up until you beat a boss just sucks. I guess having that shortcut I didn't find yet helps a lot with this but it's just tedious af If you don't have that.

I'm already doing ok with parrying, at least with the standard enemies, though I have a bit of problems with the finishing move sometimes.

The first area was indeed confusing at first. Though I don't think the trash mobs were that intimidating. The only hard part of that area for me was the big wolves couple on the bridge. After some exploring, I found Father Gascoigne as my 'first boss' and I got reckt hard. But then I found out that he's not actually is and there's a 'true' first boss. I upgraded my weapon to+3, leveled up a couple times, beat that boss, leveled up again, then I can finally get my revenge.

Seems like I missed one shortcut. Let's hope I can figure that stuff out. By the way are there no visceral attacks from behind? I tried with one hunter who always had his back to me and never managed. Countering and finishing them off works just fine though.
Backstabs can be done by holding R2, after a charge animation there is a flash and sound effect and the enemy is staggered, then walk up and backstab with R1, similar to Souls.

Thank you for the effort, really appreciate it! I really like Souls and always was interested in the vibe Bloodborne has, including the faster paced combat, but it seems I have quite a bit of problems adapting to that pace after 300 hours of DS. Maybe I'm just getting old haha.

Yeah I guess after you have a lamp, used up your xp and go explore casually without thinking of progressing much or survival the game will get a bit more forgiving. The fact I can't level up until I beat a boss is just kind of offputting i guess.

Yeah, the begining of the game is a bit brutal, it's like throwing a gold fish (that will never die) into a tank full of piranhas and watch it survive.

I guess it really is a trial for Hunters.

You can do it.
Don't give up, and don't give in (aka summoning help and ruin your first playthrough), embrace those deaths and learn from them.
Praise the Sun, my fellow undead.

Floody

Thanks! I think If I can circumvent that huge corridor with the giant bonfire via shortcut I'll be a happy camper. And once I'm able to level up all will be fine (lol nah, but It will be less frusttrating for sure.)

You can.
Once you get past it there'll be a bunch of wooden coffins straight ahead and next to a house you can interact with, break them and explore.

Roshin

There's nothing anybody can say besides "git gud" lol. This part is not even the most difficult part of Yharnam.

I dislike that phrase, but yes, OP has not even scratched the surface yet. It gets harder from here.

My only advice is to take a look at what you're doing. Why do you die? Can you approach it differently? Bloodborne does not play quite like Dark Souls. You need to be quick on your feet and a bit more aggressive.

Kyuur

The first section of Bloodborne was amazing. An ode to old school difficulty without tutorials, even if you have played Souls before.

By the way are there no visceral attacks from behind? I tried with one hunter who always had his back to me and never managed.

You have to do a fully charged R2 on an enemy's back, it works as long as you land the hit on their back.

I guess they changed it because they are tired of R1 backstab fishing in Dark Souls.

I dislike that phrase

As a long time Souls fan I hated the term ''git gud'' too.

The Souls community used to be very helpful during the Demon's Souls and even early Dark Souls days. People used to be super kind to new comers and always provide tips and helps.

I don't know what the fuck happened to the community, and I have no idea why people keep yelling ''git gud'' at someone who is clearly frustrated and need help.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Lol, that long street you're talking about it is kind of hard at first. But you're lucky. When the game launched, dying there was so fucking annoying with the 40 second + load times between deaths, lol. Those black screens were the real challenge.

Wamb0wneD

Backstabs can be done by holding R2, after a charge animation there is a flash and sound effect and the enemy is staggered, then walk up and backstab with R1, similar to Souls.

Ohh alright. In souls you just had to do one command to do it. Again thank you!

Yeah, the begining of the game is a bit brutal, it's like throwing a gold fish (that will never die) into a tank full of piranhas and watch it survive.

I guess it really is a trial for Hunters.

You can do it.
Don't give up, and don't give in (aka summoning help and ruin your first playthrough), embrace those deaths and learn from them.
Praise the Sun, my fellow undead.

Haha will do so. And yeah I played Ds without summonings the first time as well. Buffed Ornstein was a b*tch but it was worth it.

You can.
Once you get past it there'll be a bunch of wooden coffins straight ahead and next to a house you can interact with, break them and explore.

Yeah next to that crazy laughing woman at the door, someone told me already. Thanks again!

Servbot24

Banned
If it hasn't been mentioned, you can retreat if you're about to be beat and go back to hunter's dream to use your blood echoes. Unless I'm forgetting a limitation in the first area.

Wamb0wneD

I dislike that phrase, but yes, OP has not even scratched the surface yet. It gets harder from here.

My only advice is to take a look at what you're doing. Why do you die? Can you approach it differently? Bloodborne does not play quite like Dark Souls. You need to be quick on your feet and a bit more aggressive.

Seems like people said a lot of other stuff than just git gud though.Thanks anyway!

If it hasn't been mentioned, you can retreat if you're about to be beat and go back to hunter's dream to use your blood echoes. Unless I'm forgetting a limitation in the first area.
I'll gladly do that when I get to that second lantern or open up some actual useful shortcut to the first haha.

CHC

I do have criticisms of the beginning but they aren't the same as yours.

One is how the narrative of the intro is VERY unclear, like they're not sure how to start the story. It evens out later, of course, and it doesn't change the fact that Bloodborne probably has my favorite lore of all the From games. It's just a... weird start. Not nearly as confident as any of the Dark Souls games.

My more major complaint with the whole beginning half is just how long it takes for builds to differentiate themselves. There are VERY few weapons early on, and even fewer Hunter Tools and guns. As such, no matter what build you're aiming for later, your time in the first major sections of the game is probably going to be VERY similar to any other build's.

E92 M3

I had no issues with it - BB was more an action game than Souls and I've always loved those.

After Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master, everything else pales in comparison.

The first section of Bloodborne is maybe the best level design in the history of gaming.

It's hard. So is the beginning of "Ulysses."

I do have criticisms of the beginning but they aren't the same as yours.

One is how the narrative of the intro is VERY unclear, like they're not sure how to start the story. It evens out later, of course, and it doesn't change the fact that Bloodborne probably has my favorite lore of all the From games. It's just a... weird start. Not nearly as confident as any of the Dark Souls games.

I agree, the absence of a CG story intro was quite disappointing for me as well.

Unless you count the title screen CG an ''intro'' which is really just the CG trailer of the game.

ghibli99

Love that first area. Got owned so many times, but up through the second boss will teach you just about everything you'll need to know to get through the rest of the game. The first time those screaming birds attacked me in the courtyard where the OP had trouble, I literally almost crapped myself. Such brilliant sound design.

Against crowds: If you have the axe, use the 2-handed charged spin. If you have the cane, use whip mode's range. If you have the saw cleaver, abuse the damage, range, health regen of the transforming attack.

Another important thing is that you have a LOT more moves per weapon than in Souls.

Experiment with dodge attacks, back-step attacks, running attacks, forward R2s, etc. Find the hidden gems of your weapon's moveset

For example, the Saw Cleaver's dodge R1 in its extended form is a horizontal sweep, effective when you're surrounded by angry townsfolk.

Zetta

The beginning of Bloodborne is quite possible to hardest time I had with a SoulsBorne game but it was such a great feeling when I got through it. I think the reason for this is just how my playstyle had to adjust from the Souls series but never did I think it was awful.

I quit Bloodborne after 20+ attempts on the Blood Starved Beast. I too had a really tough time with the beginning. The wolves on the bridge were excruciatingly difficult. Namely because there are two of them. I couldn't get them to separate.

After 20+ attempts on the BSB, I quit and deleted the game. I simply wasn't having any fun.

sn00zer

I think its needlessly unfriendly to new comers since its jard almost immediately. DS1 gave you a fairly long time to explore and travel before things got too difficult.

Just curious OP, do you have the DLC?

I think it's one of the best DLC in the entire Soulsborne series, for me it's as good as the Artorias DLC. Also, about 40% of the weapons are in the DLC, and the weapons are PRETTY GOOD.

I quit Bloodborne after 20+ attempts on the Blood Starved Beast. I too had a really tough time with the beginning. The wolves on the bridge were excruciatingly difficult. Namely because there are two of them. I couldn't get them to separate.

After 20+ attempts on the BSB, I quit and deleted the game. I simply wasn't having any fun.

BSB isn't even a mandatory boss, you can fight it later when you are better equiped at a higher level.
Rememebr, Bloodborne is also an RPG. It's not like Megaman where you are forced to beat something or get stuck.

I spent a good whole afternoon getting to and beating the first boss. Those two werewolves on the bridge!

But the game is great. I knew it was training/teaching me. And I got better and eventually beat & platinumed the game

Hear me out here please. I played through Dark Souls three times, it was challenging but manageable, NG++ as well. Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up.

I die everytime at the spot where the giant thing is pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people are and then I have to beat that way too long corridor with way too many enemies again and again. Dark Souls 2 was critizied for that, but it's nothing against this POS corridor. Somehow half of them always notice me when I try to sneak past them as well.

Those people at the well also manage to spot me even tho I only try to lure one of them via a pebble. The detection system is janky af.

After the 7th time running along that corridor I'm close to giving up and it's a shame because I would actually enjoy the game if I would find that second save spot and if the game would let me invest my freaking xp.

hate to be that guy OP but you gotta git gud

also props for not complaining about blood vial system subbing estus

Top Bottom