• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Micro Machines World Series First Gameplay Trailer (PS4, Xbox One & PC)

"I've been playing the heck out of it on Android, this looks and plays much smoother."

Micro Machines on Android is just a rebranding of Toybox Turbos (which was an homage to the original Micro Machines games). This is a brand new game.

Am I the only one who has never been a fan of the top-down racers? Like where you aren't tracking behind the car.

It's weird, because I love R/C racing in real life, and top-down multiplayer combat games.

Skyzard

Banned
Another one to check into. Nice to see the isometric style stay even with proper 3D, models and cameras.

It works really well for making the vehicles look like toys (especially with the graphics these days) but also for the combat - to see people behind you who may plan to attack you, or you them. And to see everyone's mishaps.

BlazeRush also incorporate the camera into gameplay with deathraces where if you get too far behind a bulldozer takes you out, pushing people to keep boosting and stay infront. Works really well for short burst rounds that are intense.

And it's easy to control in BlazeRush anyway with only having to worry about the direction you're going in to control the vehicle, while still feeling great to drive. Even the time trials are fun.

edit:

-Definitely check it out. I've been having an absolute blast with it and it's cheap. Honestly, it's a somewhat hidden, gem of game.

Also, I can't blame people for hoping these make their way to switch eventually (though come on waluigilicious :p). I was thinking blazerush would be absolutely fantastic on it as I've been playing it mostly handheld by streaming from my pc to phone with moonlight (fantastic solution with low latency) and it's such a great boot up and play handheld game.

Very fast to get into games and keep playing. Even the rounds themselves are short bursts of fun. It's all on a single screen too and controls great with 2 buttons and an analogue stick so it's perfect for setting it up on a table and having people race with joycons (the bots are great fun and can be added to the custom games no problem).

I didn't see them mentioning split-screen here so I wonder if it works the same way. It would be too small with split screen imo.

Wait a minute. Only the UK version is narrated by Brian Blessed? Wtf is this. What about us Brits overseas?

It better not be region locked.

Tizoc

Welp, I got my PC copy for $20, just gonna wait a while and then grab the PS4 ver. from UK PSN as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does it support two players on one controller?

Going to wait for impressions on this. We've had several iterations of micro machines style multiplayer games in 3D - circuit breakers, mashed, fuel. The key will be how it feels to play and how the online works - these games have always been a bit more sofa based where you need to see the faces of your opponents as you smash them

Seems to have lots of modes but I assume the main modes are 'everyone on the same screen' rather than split screen?

Eiji

Can't wait for this. The game I played the most in the series back in the day is Micro Machines V3 on the PS1.

There is pretty much no info / coverage for this game, it will be a shame if it turns out to be good but gets buried by bigger releases.

It looks like a blast from the trailers and it's cheap, so even if it's not the best game ever, it should be worth checking out for some old school fun.

Bydobob

This game's supposed to release in 19 days but I hear very little of it. Anybody else looking forward?

Have this pre-ordered for me and the kids and can't wait. Like you I'm surprised there's been so little coverage other than that short trailer. Preview from Gamereactor translated from german seems positive if not very informative.

I'm always surprised when a single video game company manages to hang onto the rights for a licensed property for THIS LONG. Codemasters were making these back when they were cranking out unlicensed NES cartridges!

Shaneus

I'm always surprised when a single video game company manages to hang onto the rights for a licensed property for THIS LONG. Codemasters were making these back when they were cranking out unlicensed NES cartridges!
It has to be the single longest held non-gaming specific license for a developer ever. Assuming they never let it go since the series debuted in '91.

Bydobob

Looks like release date has been put back to 30th June. Email from Amazon:

"Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier:

"Micro Machines: World Series (Xbox One)"
Estimated arrival date: June 30 2017"

Oneself

It has to be the single longest held non-gaming specific license for a developer ever. Assuming they never let it go since the series debuted in '91.
They actually didn't have it not too long ago, that's why "Toybox Turbos" existed.

Okay, so this is out on friday (30/6). Anyone have tried it and have impressions?
Looks really good in the trailers, and I am really craving 4-player couch racing game for my PS4....

*Splinter

Okay, so this is out on friday (30/6). Anyone have tried it and have impressions?
Looks really good in the trailers, and I am really craving 4-player couch racing game for my PS4....
Same day as Crash, that's unfortunate.

I'll pick this up at some point, but probably not until it's cheap. Have fond memories of MM but don't play much local multiplayer these days.

Hostile_18

Banned
Add me to the group that is concerned it appears very weapons focused. Don't mind so much if it's on Race tracks but if it's like Mario Kart's Battle Mode I'm not really a fan.

Loved Micro Machines 96, back in the day :D

krae_man

I got my copy in the mail today. I'll give it a go when I get home.

Loved Micro Machines on the SNES.

krae_man

Played a little bit today.

There's no single player other then a practice mode. Everything is online or co-op battles.

Race Mode is basically Mario Kart.

Elimination mode basic premise is the camera follows whoever is first and you have to be the last one alive via everyone else either getting blown up or getting so far ahead they fall off screen. After someone wins a stage or whatever, there's a line chart at the top of the screen and everyone's line either moves ahead, backwards or stays put depending on how well you did and you win by getting your line to the finish line.

Battle mode is 3 on 3 and you have to get a bomb and take it to your opponents base and stay alive in the base with the bomb for a period of time to blow up their base.

There was nobody online but me so every game was waiting 90 seconds to find other players, only to not find any and be thrown in a room with nothing but bots.

You level up and get loot boxes. There's skins and taunts and stuff that unlock.

AI basically kicked my ass since I don't know the tracks/arenas yet.

krae_man

Online has quick play and ranked matches. You need to be level 10 to do ranked matches so I don't know what that's like.

There's also events, but first one doesn't go live until launch day.

Hmmm. So far we have:

1. No single player

2. Region locked content (Brian Blessed)

3. Loot boxes (microtransactions?)

4. May be wrong on this one, but the camera looks way too close now, not sure if it has camera options, but based on how elimination works, I doubt it.

It's not looking good for a massive fan of V3.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Was really keen for this but no single player or campaign mode is kind of a deal breaker. I wonder what the online will be like...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hmmm. So far we have:

1. No single player

2. Region locked content (Brian Blessed)

3. Loot boxes (microtransactions?)

4. May be wrong on this one, but the camera looks way too close now, not sure if it has camera options, but based on how elimination works, I doubt it.

It's not looking good for a massive fan of V3.
The thing I really don't like is how slow the game looks. Some of the advanced V3 vehicles had an out of control feeling that the camera amplified. I hope that they're taking that into consideration.

Darhkwing

This is pretty much an exact port of the Mobile game.

The mobile game is FREE and actually pretty fun. The only thing the console version has is the 12 player races i guess instead of 4.

Top Bottom