• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

Salaadin

Lore has led me to look for something like the episodes "Echoes" or "The Castle", except that's like every episode. Less mythology, more real/unexplained/creepiness/messed up stuff. Any suggestions?

I'm going to second this because I'm wondering the same.

Also want to add that Lore and Sword and Scale are two new favorites of mine thanks to gaf. I'm also spreading the word and got some family and friends hooked. Great stuff.

wetwired

I'm going to second this because I'm wondering the same.

Also want to add that Lore and Sword and Scale are two new favorites of mine thanks to gaf. I'm also spreading the word and got some family and friends hooked. Great stuff.

I was looking for something similar, less dramatised and more straight facts. I tried last podcast on the left and really like it. It's part comedy though so not for everyone, it's factual in that they repeat was was reported or experienced but they do Gi over some of the theories proposed. It covers all sorts though, serial killers, mass suicides, aliens, ghosts etc etc

gaiages

Banned
An update on my Podcasting adventures, to bump the thread and all :3

So, I've changed my podcast player to Podcast Addict, and it's going great. So yeah, I give that one a thumbs up, way better than Podcast Republic. All of the recent podcasts I've tried have gone well, too! :D I'm about to try a new wave of podcasts, too.

I'm sort of thinking about dropping Stuff You Should Know. Not because I don't like it, but it's a bit difficult to listen to when I'm working. Essentially I can't keep focused on it for the whole 45 minutes, and I tend to miss stuff. But, I still find it interesting. I'll think about it.

The list:

On my rotation:
Retronauts
VGMpire
Planet Money
Turbo Game Podcast
Stuff You Should Know
NPR's Story of the Day
NPR's World Story of the Day
Top Score
Legacy Music Hour
Hardcore History

Trying Out:
Classical 101 (Much like the stories of the day, these are short, like 5-10 minutes)
Final Games
The Short Game
Common Sense with Dan Carlin

Dropped:
USGamer Podcast
Axe of the Blood God

So I've been hooked on Bracket lately. It's a group of friends doing 16 spot brackets for a variety of topics. Anything from best Marvel villains to best cancelled TV show to best action movie one liners. It's really fun

RiamuBME

I'll certainly give it a listen once I'm through my current podcast backlog! :D

Hey!
Thanks very much for trying it out, I had a few issues with the feed so I have had to update it on iTunes. If you search for "Final Games" you should find it easy enough now (It has a nice new blue logo, instead of yellow).

Let me know what you think when you get around to it :)

gaiages

Banned
Hey Guys,

I actually recently started my first podcast and the first episode has just gone live on iTunes. It is a gaming podcast with a similar theme to the one used in the BBC show "Desert Island Discs", it centers around my guests choosing what eight games would they take with them to a deserted island, if they could only play those games for the rest of their days.

It is called - "Final Games" and my first episode features Pete Donaldson one of the members of the popular Soccer podcast "Football Ramble".

finalgameslogoitunes1.jpg

Please let me know what you think, feedback would be great! If you liked it please feel free to share it around :) Thanks for listening.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/final-games/id1023236966

Alright, I got to listen to it!

I really like it a lot! :D First, Your voice = <3. Second, for a first episode, your production values are actually quite good--from my experience, podcasts for the first few episodes either have volume/audio issues, or the structure is a bit of a mess. I didn't hear much of either in there :D

My only suggestions would be to get some sort of theme song at the beginning, and when using audio as breaks between the games you two are talking about up try to fade it into your talks instead of just cutting it in/out. Granted, I say this without any knowledge of audio editing and how this works and how easy/hard it is.

But awesome work! I'm definitely subscribed :D

This: http://www.scroobiuspip.co.uk/distraction-pieces-podcast Distraction Pieces Podcast.

Scroobius Pip (British Rapper/Spoken Word Artist) doing long form interviews with some really interesting people. The people will be more known to Brits, but still good wherever you're from.

Russell Brand, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran, Riz Ahmed, Stewart Lee - to name a few.
It's on all the main Android and Apple podcasting apps and services.

gaiages

Banned
I'd like to recommend a podcast:

http://www.theshortgame.net/

Basically it's a podcast about shorter games, like games that you can beat in a day or weekend, or games that are easy to pick up and play for a bit, and set down again. Wonderful for those that have full-time jobs or other responsibilities. :3

They got me into Hearthstone (finally), and have gotten me to look at a few other games I haven't already played. They're pretty great :3

obin_gam

After listening to it for a couple of weeks now, I have to recommend to add to the OP With special guest Lauren Lapkus in the list of comedy.
Hjp5iR4.jpg

A comedy improv show where her guests plays a host and she herself plays a guest as a character the guest has decided. The series has some duds, but most episodes are fun and enjoyable. And even in the duds, the returning ending segment "Help Me Rhonda with Traci Reardon" will save some of your enjoyment :)

To start off I would recommend the episodes:
Ep #1 - Paul F. Tompkins: Public Domain
Ep #14 - Thomas Middleditch: Talking with Tommy LIVE from RIOT LA

and easily the best one:
Ep #33 - Paul F. Tompkins: The North Pod with Santa Claus

RiamuBME

Alright, I got to listen to it!

I really like it a lot! :D First, Your voice = <3. Second, for a first episode, your production values are actually quite good--from my experience, podcasts for the first few episodes either have volume/audio issues, or the structure is a bit of a mess. I didn't hear much of either in there :D

My only suggestions would be to get some sort of theme song at the beginning, and when using audio as breaks between the games you two are talking about up try to fade it into your talks instead of just cutting it in/out. Granted, I say this without any knowledge of audio editing and how this works and how easy/hard it is.

But awesome work! I'm definitely subscribed :D

Holy Shit! So awesome!

I am really glad you liked it! I really appreciate the comments and I am just glad that you enjoyed it, I tried my best to get the audio as best as possible with what setup I had. I am glad that it sounds good to you!

Thanks also for your suggestions, I want to after a few episodes maybe ask someone to make an intro piece but will have to see about that. I did actually have an exit of the show with fades inbetween the music and talking but I must have actually uploaded the wrong version. Will make sure to do it for the next episode.

I am currently in the process of moving to Japan, I am looking into some future guests as well. Hopefully when I am up and running in Japan I can make this a lot more regular, so please bear with me for now. But thank you so much for subscribing :)

Shameless plug, Living the Gimmick podcast. Please check us out if you are a wrestling fan, only two episodes so far!

http://livingthegimmick.podbean.com/

As for other wrestling podcasts,

Solomonster Sounds Off is great, especially for a one man show.

Wrestling Soup is dumb, but can occasionally be funny.

Live Audio Wrestling is hit or miss depending on the hosts. Wai Ting is awful.

We Watch Wrestling- Avoid like the plague. A vengeful ex-WWE writer who couldn't even last a year, complains about how awful WWE is, and puts down any promotion that isn't PWG (since its his local indie). They also constantly beg fans for tickets to sold out events. Its terrible.

Cheap Heat- Peter Rosenberg from Hot 97 radio station in NY hosts this with his friends. A very enjoyable show, that runs a wide range of topics including humorous interactions between Peter and wrestlers he's interviewed.

The Lapsed Fan- My personal favorite, two guys review shows from the Attitude era and the 80's. They did all 29 Wrestlemania's leading into 30, and have continued to review past PPV's. Really enjoyable if you have WWE network, to watch the show before listening to the podcast about it.

Hey Gaf!

I just wanted to spread the word about Ryan Stevens (GameTrailers) new podcast which is kind of kick ass. It's in the vein of A Life Well Wasted and This American Life, but it's about gaming. G4LW or Gaming is a Four Letter Word is a theme based podcast, and the first episode about the word "Pink" is pretty damn cool. You'd be surprised how deep that word ties into gaming. Anyway, check it out and subscribe. And tell a friend!

Fantomas

Hey Gaf!

I just wanted to spread the word about Ryan Stevens (GameTrailers) new podcast which is kind of kick ass. It's in the vein of A Life Well Wasted and This American Life, but it's about gaming. G4LW or Gaming is a Four Letter Word is a theme based podcast, and the first episode about the word "Pink" is pretty damn cool. You'd be surprised how deep that word ties into gaming. Anyway, check it out and subscribe. And tell a friend!

Wow, this was really good! Loved it, looking forward to new episodes for sure.

Hey Gaf!

Looking forward to hearing more episodes! This podcast is really interesting. (Also, my brother is the co-host so it makes even more awesome).

mr.beers

I absolutely love The Adventure Zone. The McElroys playing D&D... What could go wrong? It is a fantastic mix of humor, storytelling, and shenanigans wrapped up in a fairly true game of D&D.

I only wish it was a weekly podcast, I can't get enough.

Stuff You Should Know, My Brother My Brother And Me, and the Beast/Bombcast are my other go to podcasts.

I'm with you on the love for Adventure Zone as I have re-listened to the series twice and there are only 20ish episodes.

tw1164

Here's my suggestions:

/

The host is able to get people to talk about thing you normally wouldn't hear talked about. The production is on par w/ the NPR podcasts.

I also like the Bret Easton Ellis podcast, but I could see why it's not over everyone. The opening monologue can be pretty tiring.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Adventure Zone is the best, such a charming show.

Hey Gaf!

word, i'll give it a shot for sure. always looking for a more academic / high brow gaming podcast.

jon bones

all caught up on MBMBAM, looking for another podcast to plow through.

been trying to give Violence Island a spin, but it seems their servers have been offline for a while :/

Fewr

I'd like to recommend a podcast:

http://www.theshortgame.net/

Basically it's a podcast about shorter games, like games that you can beat in a day or weekend, or games that are easy to pick up and play for a bit, and set down again. Wonderful for those that have full-time jobs or other responsibilities. :3

They got me into Hearthstone (finally), and have gotten me to look at a few other games I haven't already played. They're pretty great :3

Gave it a go yesterday, I liked it a lot. I'll listen to some older stuff to see if they stay in my regulars list. Thanks for the recommendation.

(mat)

Just stumbled upon this thread. Figure I should throw in some of my favorites. (Sorry if some of these have been posted already) It should be noted that all of these may be considered NSFW.

Distorted View Daily (Definitely NSFW)
cover170x170.jpeg

Tim Henson scours the internet for strange audio, and reports on bizarre news stories from around the world. Not safe for work.

If I Were You
cover170x170.jpeg

Jake Hurwitz and Amir Blumenfeld offer up advice in areas they're qualified to talk about. Also in areas they're not qualified to talk about.

The Comedy Button
cover170x170.jpeg

The Comedy Button is a weekly comedy podcast full of ridiculous conversations, nerdy outbursts, a little bit of awkwardness, and some occasional life perspective.

Factory Sealed
cover170x170.jpeg

The golden era of gaming may be gone, but it certainly hasn’t been forgotten!

Nerd Out Loud
cover170x170.jpeg

Nerd Out Loud talks about the things that we nerd out about and you nerd out about and everybody nerds out about.

The One Word, Go! Show (full disclosure, this one is my podcast. :3)
cover170x170.jpeg

Each week the One Word, Go! Show takes one word, sent in by our listeners, and uses it to jump-start a conversation!

sheamus

I would really like to recommend godfall to everyone. It's a custom DND campaign in a world of which magic is gone. It's highly edited to cut out a lot of the boring parts of DND.but it still has a fantastic cast with a great chemistry.

Other one is Cthulhu and friends. Which is set in the Lovecraft universe,it's incredibly tense and often times funny tabletop game where people can die very quickly and people go crazy. With a interesting pace a cool with a cool story line.

Fantomas

I would really like to recommend godfall to everyone. It's a custom DND campaign in a world of which magic is gone. It's highly edited to cut out a lot of the boring parts of DND.but it still has a fantastic cast with a great chemistry.

Thanks for the Godsfall recommendation, I've listened to the first few episodes now and it's a lot better than the other DnD podcasts I've checked out in the past.

The editing is really well done so far, it keeps things focused but there are still funny tangents here and there. The music and sound effects have been good so far too.

I'll pimp my 'cast again in here, in case there are any indie developers reading. My last two episodes had some interesting discussions about business, taxes and marketing for indie game developers! Check them out - there's more to come in the next few weeks, too. Also, I've started a Patreon, since I'd like to get some funds going for hosting and video content.

The Legal Moves podcast - business and legal discussion for tabletop and video game developers

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Has anyone here good resources on how to make good podcasts that do not focus on the technological aspects, but more on how to structure and organize a podcast, how to prepare show notes, how to properly narrate and use your voice, how to edit properly, etc?

dsp

You should add Astronomy Cast to the science section, OP.

Has anyone here good resources on how to make good podcasts that do not focus on the technological aspects, but more on how to structure and organize a podcast, how to prepare show notes, how to properly narrate and use your voice, how to edit properly, etc?

I don't think such a thing exists. Most of the things you're talking about are kind of personal and you should probably be suspicious of anyone trying to tell you how to structure, narrate, use your voice, etc. This isn't radio, however, if you really think you need some guidelines then that might be a good place to start, I guess. I do think you're better off just finding your own way to go about it, though.

OP needs to add The Last Podcast On The Left as well!
bW9F0vb.jpg

Three dudes talking about paranormal events and serial killers - of which they don't take seriously at all :D (Be prepared for strong language and really (no, really) dark jokes)

This is my favorite podcast out there.

It's worth checking out their networks other podcasts as well, the brigher side of life and roundtable of gentlemen is good and cool.

http://cavecomedyradio.com/

I didn't know we had a postcast thread. This is great!

While I've been listening to two or three podcasts for a long time, I've gotten serious with podcasts about a year go. I'm using my Nexus 5 and iPad to listen to them, so Pocket Casts is really the perfect app for that, as it syncs subscriptions and progress. I only with it would sync the playlist as well, but that might be coming later.

Right now I have 30 subscriptions running, but only a few of them are on auto-download and the others are either new or I listen to the episodes based on the topics that are being discussed. Most of the podcasts I listen to and love have already been mentioned in the great OP or in the thread (99% Invisible, Love + Radio, Serial, Daily Tech News Show/DTNS).

But there are still some other podcasts I love and would definitely recommend.

We Hate Movies

"Each week the WHM gang force themselves to watch bad movies that were better left forgotten to fuel off-the-wall tangents, inane impressions and unabashed comedic siliness. This is a comedy podcast for movie lovers that can't help but relish pure trash."

It's not a serious podcast at all and they obviously don't hate all movies they watch. It's mainly some dudes ripping on "bad" / bad movies, as well as some cartoons and I enjoy it a lot. It's not a crazy new concept, but I think they have great chemistry together. They also have a 10 year rule in place that prevents them from making an episode about a movie that is younger than 10 years, just to mix things up a bit (but they still make exceptions every now and then). The episodes are relatively long, as you can imagine (1 hour+), but to me it's really worth the time.

One of my favorite episodes is the Butterfly Effect episode

GT Time

"GameTrailers’ uniquely talented and knowledgeable panel discuss everything they care about on a given week in the world of video games."

The GameTrailers.com crew is podcasting! With Kyle Bosman, also known from "The Final Bosman", as the host. It's the only gaming podcast I listen to, because it's not super long (usually 1 hour or less), the discussions aren't always super negative and cynical or off-topic and the people on it usually enjoy the games they play. It's great!

Internet of Things Podcast

"So, the Internet of Things Podcast is a new podcast that will feel very familiar, with Kevin Tofel still coming on as my co-host, a weekly format, and my continuing quest to understand the technologies, use cases and business effects of the internet of things."

As the name suggests, this is a podcast about IoT and everything that surrounds it. Connected light bulbs, automated door locks, HomeKit, all that stuff. It's hosted by Stacy Higginbotham and her co-host Kevin Tofel. Each episode is an hour long and usually contains half an hour of news and discussion and another half with an interview. It's pretty good, if you are into IoT.

Coolluck

Do any of the paid apps allow the app to be completely on the SD Card? Podcast Addict seems to eat up way more space than it should despite trying to store the files on the SD Card.

Sch1sm

First time seeing this thread, whoa. Subbed.

This is all I'm currently listening to:

Citizen Radio
Undisclosed
Criminal
Milennial
Lore
The Truth
Giant Beastcast

Sorry, guys, been kind of busy with school and other stuff. Will update the OT over the weekend

The stuff I've been into lately

Tanis

From the people behind The Black Tapes, it's a mystery about...Tanis. While The Black Tapes has a paranormal theme, this is more cosmic horror and conspiracies

The Short Game

A great podcast about shorter games, mostly indies. The show has covered everything from Cave Story and Limbo to The Beginner's Guide and Her Story

Revolutions

A podcast about revolutions, from Mike Duncan of The History of Rome

Sorry, guys, been kind of busy with school and other stuff. Will update the OT over the weekend

The stuff I've been into lately

Tanis

From the people behind The Black Tapes, it's a mystery about...Tanis. While The Black Tapes has a paranormal theme, this is more cosmic horror and conspiracies

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm not a huge fan of audio books and radio stories, but Tanis got me hooked so far. The only thing I can't stand at all, is the intro. The technobabble is a bit much sometimes, but I can look past that. I like it more than Limetown so far (2 episodes in on both). I hope it doesn't get too crazy.

Fireblend

Banned
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm not a huge fan of audio books and radio stories, but Tanis got me hooked so far. The only thing I can't stand at all, is the intro. The technobabble is a bit much sometimes, but I can look past that. I like it more than Limetown so far (2 episodes in on both). I hope it doesn't get too crazy.

If yo haven't read it yet, I suggest you pick up a copy of House of Leaves. Tanis "esoteric horror" tone has some not-so-subtle nods to that.

If yo haven't read it yet, I suggest you pick up a copy of House of Leaves. Tanis "esoteric horror" tone has some not-so-subtle nods to that.

Thank you for that suggestion. I'm not sure yet if I shhould order the book, as the reviews seem to be really polarized. You either hate it or love it. Kind of interesting.

Anyway, I checked out the Black Tapes podcast and I have to say, it's not terrible. It rips off Serial a bit too heavily and there's still that awful intro song, but it's mostly well produced. While it was able to give me some chills when I listened to it (mostly in the night), it lost me a little, when it started to include Slenderman. But the absolute worst part of the podcast, and Serial did the same thing, is the unresolved ending. Holy fuck, how I hate that. I obviously can give Serial a pass for that, but The Black Tapes is entirely fictional, there was absolutely no need for that. And I'm not saying they should unravel every mystery, but come on. At least have one or two cases solved and wrap it up in a neat way that still makes sense for the story. Instead you have all these loose ends. It's very annoying and makes me feel like I wasted my time. It almost doesn't make me want to listen to another episode and I really, really hope that Tanis doesn't pull the same shit.

Thank your u for that suggestion. I'm not sure yet if I shhould order the book, as the reviews seem to be really polarized. You either hate it or love it. Kind of interesting.

Anyway, I checked out the Black Tapes podcast and I have to say, it's not terrible. It rips off Serial a bit too heavily and there's still that awful intro song, but it's mostly well produced. While it was able to give me some chills when I listened to it (mostly in the night), it lost me a little, when it started to include Slenderman. But the absolute worst part of the podcast, and Serial did the same thing, is the unresolved ending. Holy fuck, how I hate that. I obviously can give Serial a pass for that, but The Black Tapes is entirely fictional, there was absolutely no need for that. And I'm not saying they should unravel every mystery, but come on. At least have one or two cases solved and wrap it up in a neat way that still makes sense for the story. Instead you have all these loose ends. It's very annoying and makes me feel like I wasted my time. It almost doesn't make me want to listen to another episode and I really, really hope that Tanis doesn't pull the same shit.
Yeah over in the other Lore/Black Tapes/creepy podcast thread, the general consensus was that TBT had a pretty anticlimactic ending, I am eager to see where things go next season

Personally I felt it was more reminiscent of RadioLab than Serial, and I think that out of the fictional nonfiction narrative podcasts I've listened to, The Black Tapes sounded the most real.

Yeah over in the other Lore/Black Tapes/creepy podcast thread, the general consensus was that TBT had a pretty anticlimactic ending, I am eager to see where things go next season

Personally I felt it was more reminiscent of RadioLab than Serial, and I think that out of the fictional nonfiction narrative podcasts I've listened to, The Black Tapes sounded the most real.

I didn't know we had a more fitting thread for comments like that, thank you.

I'll cross-post it there, since I also listen to all the other shows.

Lexad

I listen to Tanis and Black Tapes and Limetown for the great fictional podcasting pretending to be real.

I listen to GT Time/Beyond/PS I Love You XOXO for my gaming podcasts

I listen to WDW Radio with Lou Mangello for Disney News/History/etc.

Nerdist with Chris Hardwick has some great guests time to time.

I just started listening to Adventure Zone ( a D&D podcast with 3 brothers and their dad playing). It is super funny and they never take it too seriously.

jon bones

I listen to Tanis and Black Tapes and Limetown for the great fictional podcasting pretending to be real.

I listen to GT Time/Beyond/PS I Love You XOXO for my gaming podcasts

I listen to WDW Radio with Lou Mangello for Disney News/History/etc.

Nerdist with Chris Hardwick has some great guests time to time.

I just started listening to Adventure Zone ( a D&D podcast with 3 brothers and their dad playing). It is super funny and they never take it too seriously.

The Adventure Zone is the best - do you listen to the brothers' "main" podcast My Brother, My Brother & Me? it's pretty incredible

Marc Maron's interview with Lorne Michaels was kind of disappointing. I don't know what I expected, but I was hoping to get more into the dirt behind SNL than they did. Maybe Lorne just isn't that interesting.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Started listening to podcasts since I got a 6S+ and I found out about Overcast being free thanks to a topic here. Now I'm hooked and wondering how I'm going to focus on learning programming or reading on my kindle with my phone being such a massive distraction lol. Since aside from podcasts I'm usually playing an app on my phone while listening to them.

newjeruse

Marc Maron's interview with Lorne Michaels was kind of disappointing. I don't know what I expected, but I was hoping to get more into the dirt behind SNL than they did. Maybe Lorne just isn't that interesting.
I was disappointed with Maron focusing so much of the interview on his own failure to get on the show.

Top Bottom