• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Rogue Galleries in Fiction

Do Rogue Galleries have to be recurring enemies?

Otherwise I'll probably put forth One Piece for manga and the No More Heroes series for videogames.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Metal Gear
Rising

I love the Winds of Destruction guys but the other Units in the MG universe are all great too.
420333_101505935878556iz2d.jpg

20130715161916_foxhou1llbz.png

2216083-dead_cell_by_zonnex.jpg

beautyandthebeastunit1lxwn.jpg

zelas

I'd want to say Xmen are right below Batman and Spiderman but because they battle so many guys a lot of their rogues are just trash. Many highs but so many lows.

Was it the Bombcast pod that talked about Injustice 2 and had zero idea who the Flash's enemies were? I can't remember, it was definitely one of the gaming podcasts. Regardless, the Flash's rogues gallery is decent, but its waaay less mainstream than Batman or Spidey.
Yeah, as a casual I have no idea who is a part of Flash's gallery besides Reverse Flash and Captain Cold. I think he fight's an Austrailian too?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
  1. Batman
  2. Spider-Man

There's the list. Hell, Batman's got more classics in his rogues gallery than than most superhero teams have between them.

zeshakag

The Phantom Troupe from Hunter x Hunter

Hisoka is legit one of the coolest anime characters to me.

Blonde kid creeped me the fuck out with his genuine smile while murdering many people.

Each of them have cool abilities, are prone to wildin the fuck out, but have a duty to each other.

Oddish1

I'd have to say Batman is number one, but I feel like Superman has to be right behind him or at least top 3. You got Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid, Zod, Mr. Mxyzptlk. Lex Luthor alone is one of the greatest and most recognizable villains in superhero fiction for good reason.

Seriously, The Powerpuff Girls have a seriously underrated rogue's gallery

HIM, Mojo Jojo, Rowdyruff Boys, Princess, Medusa, Ganggreen Gang, Fuzzy Lumpkins, the Amoeba Boys & Boogie Man

Yes boo! They are all unique in their own way and funny in their own way. Princess is probably my favorite out of the gallery. I love that rich spoiled archetype. Who's yours?

There's none outside of superheroes that I dig though. Batman is top notch. I don't really like Spider-man so I don't know a whole lot about his villains other than their costumes and to me they have the fucking worst costumes.

Superman should have better ones. All I think anyone really cares about are Lex Luthor, Darkseid, and Braniac.

Spider-Man and Batman by default

The X-Men have a decent one

Was going to say this! So many memorable villains!!!

I just watch the toons and movies. Who do y'all like?

All I'm aware of are Magneto, The Brotherhood of Mutants, The Murlocks, Mystique, Mr. Sinister, Dark Phoenix, Sabertooth, Juggernaut, and Apocalypse.

Out of those I don't like The Murlocks, The Brotherhood, and Sabertooth. Sabertooth might be because that costume in the 90s was terrible. He looks naked.

Edit: I forgot, fucking Xena! Xena had some good ones too: Ares of course, and then you have Callisto, Cesar, Aphrodite, and Hope. Alti was trash though.

This

But if I were to add a strong contender I would say FF has a pretty good one. Main reason I read FF is for the villians: Doom, Galactus (and his heralds), Skrulls, Annihilus, Namor (at times), Inhumans, Molecule Man, Physco-Man, etc
I agree. Too bad the movies have been dreadful. So much wasted potential. Especially with Doom.

Batjag

1. Batman
2. Star Wars

Little kids, old people, and people with no interest in pop culture can all name multiple villains from these properties.

zeemumu

I just watch the toons and movies. Who do y'all like?

All I'm aware of are Magneto, The Brotherhood of Mutants, The Murlocks, Mystique, Mr. Sinister, Dark Phoenix, Sabertooth, Juggernaut, and Apocalypse.

Out of those I don't like The Murlocks, The Brotherhood, and Sabertooth. Sabertooth might be because that costume in the 90s was terrible. He looks naked.

Edit: I forgot, fucking Xena! Xena had some good ones too: Ares of course, and then you have Callisto, Cesar, Aphrodite, and Hope. Alti was trash though.

I liked Magneto, Apocalypse, Juggernaut, Dark Phoenix, Wendigo, and the Sentinels

Fuchsdh

While it might be my Marvel bias (or at least familiarity) showing, I think Spider-Man has the edge over Batman's rogues in that they tend to feel more thematic and personal. Spider-Man has generally had more internal conflicts and the villains tend to mirror that, especially in regards to how they twist or refute the "great power/great responsibility" burden he's assumed.

Spider-Man and Batman are the obvious picks, but I'd also like to throw out Fullmetal Alchemist's homunculi and Sherlock Holmes' villains gallery. In fact, I'd say Holmes has the ORIGINAL rogues gallery.

Batman > The Flash > everybody else

I don't get the love for Spider-Man's rogues. Yeah, Doctor Octopus, Kraven and a few others are great but the Green Goblin is just a lame flying Joker imo.

LewieP

Lol at people saying Spider-Man.

Half of them are just dudes in an animal costume called [animal] or similar. Vulture, Lizard, Scorpion, Doctor Octopus. A lot of them have very similar origins too.

It's Batman.

Sephzilla

Lol at people saying Spider-Man.

Half of them are just dudes in an animal costume called [animal] or similar. Vulture, Lizard, Scorpion, Doctor Octopus. A lot of them have very similar origins too.

It's Batman.

The Penguin, Catwoman, Killer Croc, Man Bat, Poison Ivy, Firefly, Professor Pyg, Killer Moth...

Harmen

Fiction in general? I am going to go with the Yakuza video games. (almost) Every major enemy in the whole series gets a badass buildup and most of them have a clear own identity/motivation. To me, it is an impressive feat due to all of them being plain humans, rather than monsters/dressed up supervillains/robots/whatever. Yakuza 0 is an excellent example for any videogame on how to do villains.

Other bodies of fiction in which I enjoy many of the villains/enemies: Batman, X-men,, One Piece, Metal Gear, Bond, and The Witcher.

PSqueak

Banned
You know, people usually don't think about this, but Megaman, basically having a good rogue gallery is the foundation of the series.

Top Bottom