• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to move out of Pittsburgh and get to AZ. Can't stand the weather and need to ride my bike year round. Searching for jobs in another city is rough.

Fantastic thread.

I've been thinking of moving to AZ but I just don't know where.

I've lived almost my entire 41 years in southern Indiana and I am done with winters. If I never see another snowflake in my life I would be ecstatic. I have developed seasonal depression during the winter and it gets worse every year. I can no longer take dreary day after dreary day for months on end. I was almost suicidal this past winter because of it.

I lived in Evansville for 18 years and just went back for a wedding. I know that feel.

I miss snow, which lets be honest, Southern Indiana doesn't really have that much. I just can't stand the constant overcast skies during the winter.

mreddie

Carolina's is the shit.

yeb1kVr.jpg

Also, try to avoid South Mountain at all costs. It's gotten better...but then it's nighttime.

yeb1kVr.jpg

Also, try to avoid South Mountain at all costs. It's gotten better...but then it's nighttime.

Dude I love Carolina's! Also, I don't hike the "touristy" side of South Mountain - I can't stand going there because of hipster hikers and bikers. I hike the south side of South Mountain (there are multiple trail entrances off of Ray down past 40th). The trails on the south side are just as nice and they're never crowded - not even the paved trail that leads up to the road by the radio station.

theJwac

AhwatukeeGAF here. I've lived in the Phoenix area my whole life and moved to the hood south of South Mountain about ten years ago. I'm an engineer by trade and ASU graduate from 2005.

Also, just to put my 0.02 with regards to Mexican food: El Bravo on 7th Street, north of Northern is the best Mexican food in the city. Has been since the eighties.

mreddie

Dude I love Carolina's! Also, I don't hike the "touristy" side of South Mountain - I can't stand going there because of hipster hikers and bikers. I hike the south side of South Mountain (there are multiple trail entrances off of Ray down past 40th). The trails on the south side are just as nice and they're never crowded - not even the paved trail that leads up to the road by the radio station.

Carolina's has the best burritos, no contest. Also, I should have been clearer, avoid South Phoenix in the nighttime.

Hi. I live in Phoenix. I've been here since '06. I'm ready to move out :) From Michigan originally.

If you dig Teharu, check out Sushi Station - there's one on camelback and one up north. Hands down best revolving sushi in Phoenix. And their rolls aren't just variations of a California roll like Teharu's is :-/

Cornish Pasty is one of the biggest hipster places around - which is why a good friend of mine and I are there every week :D Also, all the dudes have beards so I get to drool over them. Chino Bandito is amazing. If you're in Glendale or N. Phoenix, for Mexican, my family LOVES Popo's. There was also La Tolteca that was around for like, 100 years or so but it burnt down :( That was in a Super Seedy Area too. Loved it!

I have been to Sushi Station and I did like it. Its just I live in east Mesa, so its not often I'm out there.
I go to teharu often mostly because its a half mile from my work.

As for Cornish Pasty, I went there for the first time a month ago and it was quite good. It's a place I'd definitely go back to.

AntoneM

Fantastic thread.

I've lived almost my entire 41 years in southern Indiana and I am done with winters. If I never see another snowflake in my life I would be ecstatic. I have developed seasonal depression during the winter and it gets worse every year. I can no longer take dreary day after dreary day for months on end. I was almost suicidal this past winter because of it.

I was in AZ back in 2007. Visited my sis in law in Scottsdale and drove up to the Grand Canyon.

I'm just not sure where to live. My wife is a small town kind of girl. But she's also an ER doctor and the breadwinner. I don't believe they have hospitals in the middle of small desert towns so I'm not sure where she would work. I work in real estate and can always get my license out there to keep doing what I am doing.

I've looked at a lot of the smaller towns that look appealing, like Sedona or Prescott. Somewhere in the central of the state in a valley where you can escape the oppressive heat.

Any suggestions ?

Small towns that might work and would also be snow free would be the likes of Casa Grande, Lake Havasu, and Yuma (after that they get REALLY small). Way far out Suburbs that might work would be like Queen Creek, Buckey, Cave Creek arounf Phoenix or like Oro Valley around tucson.

Other small towns (which are nicer in my opinion) that might work would be like Flagstaff, Prescott, and maybe Sedona and Payson; however they will get snow in the winter. They may not be so dreary, but, keep that in mind.

Lots of good hospitals in the Phoenix area, and Tucson has the University hospital.

That people are opposed to this is kind of an accurate summary of AZ politics. Public transit lags for a reason. NIMBY people everywhere.

Yeah... seems pretty much like a no brainer. Whenever I visit SD, Denver, Seattle their public transportation is awesome and I envy it quite a bit.

lem0n

Fantastic thread.

I was in AZ back in 2007. Visited my sis in law in Scottsdale and drove up to the Grand Canyon.

I'm just not sure where to live. My wife is a small town kind of girl. But she's also an ER doctor and the breadwinner. I don't believe they have hospitals in the middle of small desert towns so I'm not sure where she would work. I work in real estate and can always get my license out there to keep doing what I am doing.

I've looked at a lot of the smaller towns that look appealing, like Sedona or Prescott. Somewhere in the central of the state in a valley where you can escape the oppressive heat.

Any suggestions ?

Check out Banner Ironwood online. It's a brand new hospital way out in the "countryside". It's 50 miles from Phoenix in Queen Creek. It's nice out here, and growing rapidly so we will see more stuff here in the coming years.

blackflag

yeb1kVr.jpg

Yes Carolina's is the real deal. Those huge tortillas.

Also, South Mtn. Isn't that bad. Mostly just Telegraph and the ones by Pima road.

Hardly anyone ever at Pyramid and some of the others. I've hiked every trail on South Mountain multiple times. My girlfriend hikes every single day at south mountain. Sometimes 12 miles. She crazy though. We live like right there though so it's by far the closest mountain. My favorite is Superstition.

Hi. I live in Phoenix. I've been here since '06. I'm ready to move out :) From Michigan originally.

If you dig Teharu, check out Sushi Station - there's one on camelback and one up north. Hands down best revolving sushi in Phoenix. And their rolls aren't just variations of a California roll like Teharu's is :-/

Cornish Pasty is one of the biggest hipster places around - which is why a good friend of mine and I are there every week :D Also, all the dudes have beards so I get to drool over them. Chino Bandito is amazing. If you're in Glendale or N. Phoenix, for Mexican, my family LOVES Popo's. There was also La Tolteca that was around for like, 100 years or so but it burnt down :( That was in a Super Seedy Area too. Loved it!

Damn, I loved the La Tolteca. One of the few places in Phoenix that had actual good Mexican food (I'm from so cal, and I'm Mexican, I'm picky when it comes to Mexican food that isn't my moms lol).

I use to go there like 1 every other week after class in down town.

Sad to hear that it's gone.

Yeah! AZ GAF!

I'm Sean, lived here for almost 26 years now. Originally grew up in Ahwatukee, spent some time in Gilbert, and currently live in the Chandler area. I work in Scottsdale. I run a blog with my wife called My Fair Gamer, where we do video coverage of cooperative gaming between couples/people of different skill levels.

I'm also the Co-President of the Phoenix Extra Life Guild (with my wife)! We're recently formed and have monthly meetings at Endgame. Trying to get a few event appearances lined up for the year so we can recruit more people to the Extra Life cause. If you're interested in joining the guild drop by the group page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ELGPhoenix/

As for food rec's, specifically sushi, the following places are pretty solid:

Hon Machi in Chandler
Shimogamo in Chandler
Sakana in Scottsdale

Good quality, decent prices. The Teharu location in Ahwatukee makes me sick every time I go. Really a shame.

Let's have a meet up some time! Endgame is a great space for it!

bill0527

I lived in Evansville for 18 years and just went back for a wedding. I know that feel.

I miss snow, which lets be honest, Southern Indiana doesn't really have that much. I just can't stand the constant overcast skies during the winter.

I live in Evansville now and we've had two brutal winters in a row. February was the worst we had as much snow as we had during th big Blizzard of 1976. This area normally doesn't get that much snow in the winter. I think maybe 10 inches on average, but the last couple of years have blown that out of the water and I am done. Mentally and physically done with it. I don't even so much if it's the snow, but it's definitely the constant dreary days from like November until March.

I need to see the sun and I need to see it a lot. Everyone says I will miss winter, but I know me, and I know that I won't. Been dealing with it for most of my life and I can't take it anymore.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

I'm trying to move out of Pittsburgh and get to AZ. Can't stand the weather and need to ride my bike year round. Searching for jobs in another city is rough.

Yeah I was on the same boat job search wise.i got fed up so I just hopped on a plane and came over here and got a job a few days later. i had a place to stay though. Do you know anyone here?

NeededSleep

Yeah, that's fine. So, with you, it makes 5 of us in Tucson.

Next weekend it'll be Jul 3-5, so I don't know about their availability, but I'm down for it. I'll PM them and see if we can get something started.

no can do, father is in hospital might be traveling out of state over the next month. :(

I lived there for three and a half years. It's a dry heat.

When I lived there, it was such a drag activity wise. But as I was leaving they built that shopping center, etc.

It was either go to San Diego, Vegas, Phoenix, etc.
heh, it's the "Big City" for me as I live in a really small and shitty town 40 minutes away from Yuma. The good part is that you have both Mexico and Yuma a few minutes away and thus you have California, Phoenix, etc, a little bit closer too.

Personally I think Yuma is really pretty and it has a Five Guys so it's like the perfect place for me :lol though I wouldn't mind living in L.A or Phoenix tbh

Yeah! AZ GAF!

I'm Sean, lived here for almost 26 years now. Originally grew up in Ahwatukee, spent some time in Gilbert, and currently live in the Chandler area. I work in Scottsdale. I run a blog with my wife called My Fair Gamer, where we do video coverage of cooperative gaming between couples/people of different skill levels.

I'm also the Co-President of the Phoenix Extra Life Guild (with my wife)! We're recently formed and have monthly meetings at Endgame. Trying to get a few event appearances lined up for the year so we can recruit more people to the Extra Life cause. If you're interested in joining the guild drop by the group page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ELGPhoenix/

As for food rec's, specifically sushi, the following places are pretty solid:

Hon Machi in Chandler
Shimogamo in Chandler
Sakana in Scottsdale

Good quality, decent prices. The Teharu location in Ahwatukee makes me sick every time I go. Really a shame.

Let's have a meet up some time! Endgame is a great space for it!

Fuck yeah bro that place is my fav. I always get the deep friend spicy tuna rolls

Didn't realize we had so many AZ peeps here, that's pretty cool. I live in the Chandler area so going to Tempe would probably be best

ST2K

Anyone else feel like Flagstaff is the secret best city in the state? Fortunately, it's pretty low key and doesn't seem to attract too much attention.

StoneFox

Anyone else feel like Flagstaff is the secret best city in the state? Fortunately, it's pretty low key and doesn't seem to attract too much attention.
I went to NAU for a few years. Loved the weather up there! Wasn't much to do unless you enjoy the hiking/biking trails or the art walks, but it's such a neat town full of history.

Plus Pluto was discovered there! The scientists took that cool factor away from us though. :(

What's up AZ, Tucson resident here (Tucsonan is not a thing please don't say it!). Just glad to see there is more than a few on GAF.

chino bandito is completely legit, I love that place!

I'm glad to see this thread getting some response =D

So, for a gaf meet-up... We can do the usual things like hit mill or what-not (didn't an arcade open up on mill not too long ago?) but honestly we need a lan party ;D

Who's ready for some quake 3!

I play quake live, I'm down for this!

lem0n

... why not both?

LAN and beer at Endgame or the campus like what was mentioned. I'm game for whatever. I plan on mainly shooting the shit, though. Maybe voice some opinions that would normally have me catch a ban. Heh

Do you mean motorbike or bicycle? For what it is worth, Tucson is a fantastic bicycle city, and Phoenix is great for motorbikes. Tucson is not bad for motorbikes, but Phoenix is better. Smooth roads, fast speed limits, etc. That said, you can't beat taking a motorbike up Mt Lemmon in Tucson. One of the best roads for twisties in the country imo.

lem0n

Do you mean motorbike or bicycle? For what it is worth, Tucson is a fantastic bicycle city, and Phoenix is great for motorbikes. Tucson is not bad for motorbikes, but Phoenix is better. Smooth roads, fast speed limits, etc. That said, you can't beat taking a motorbike up Mt Lemmon in Tucson. One of the best roads for twisties in the country imo.

I've been meaning to drive Mt. Lemmon for some time

I've been meaning to drive Mt. Lemmon for some time

If you are into driving, cycling, or motorbikes at all, it is a must. Even if you just want to take a leisurely cruise to the top, it is gorgeous. I am sure camping would be fun too, if you are into that kind of thing. However, I just like to haul ass to the top, eat ice cream and fudge, and drive back down. If you are in a sports car or on a motorcycle, cars know what you're there for and get out of the way to some extent.

Edit: This picture does it some justice, but not really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom