• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lem0n

If you are into driving, cycling, or motorbikes at all, it is a must. Even if you just want to take a leisurely cruise to the top, it is gorgeous. I am sure camping would be fun too, if you are into that kind of thing. However, I just like to haul ass to the top, eat ice cream and fudge, and drive back down. If you are in a sports car or on a motorcycle, cars know what you're there for and get out of the way to some extent.

Edit: This picture does it some justice, but not really

Yeah definitely into driving. I'd be taking my Miata up, briskly. South Mountain is fun but I can't really go too crazy because of the park rangers, plus those drops

karobit

The Teharu location in Ahwatukee makes me sick every time I go. Really a shame.

It never made me sick so I kept braving Teharu, especially because they're only a couple miles away from me. But finally, a couple months ago, I realized that even for a dollar a plate, their salmon nigiri wasn't even worth it. Sushi Station on Camelback is pretty good (and I'm usually down that way every few weeks since I shop @ All About Books & Comics) and Akita Sushi on Via Linda and 90th in Scottsdale has a ridiculous All-You-Can-Eat setup. I also really, really enjoy Sushi Ken in Ahwatukee, but they're comparatively pricey.

I know someone mentioned Brunchies, but is there really no love for Serrano's here? :(

Chuckl3s

Arizona Gaf reporting in.

Yes its fuckin hot, but its better than snow.

I'm the head midget at Giligins Bar Scottsdale. Mention GAF and I'll buy you a drink.

Nephtis

Arizona Gaf reporting in.

Yes its fuckin hot, but its better than snow.

I'm the head midget at Giligins Bar Scottsdale. Mention GAF and I'll buy you a drink.

bq2yixcnfrxqdkzu1tuxqrfw1.1000x750x1.jpg

blackflag

D-Backs choke again.....fuck me.

Seriously, you lose to the fucking Rockies.

I have the benefit of living here since before there was a baseball or football team. So I'm not a fan of either.

Unfortunately when I was a kid I'd watch Raider games and became a fan so.....same end result.

RetroMG

Hey, AZ Gaf, can anyone recommend a good resort to go to? My wife and I usually go to the Arizona Grand near Phoenix, but we're looking at other places. We'd prefer something outside of Tucson, and something with a lazy river or other nice water options.

Any suggestions?

Eiolon

Hey, AZ Gaf, can anyone recommend a good resort to go to? My wife and I usually go to the Arizona Grand near Phoenix, but we're looking at other places. We'd prefer something outside of Tucson, and something with a lazy river or other nice water options.

Any suggestions?

I stay at Kierland Westin once a summer. Rates are good since no one wants to be out here during the heat. Has a wave simulator for surfing and lazy river.

lem0n

I don't even want to do anything today. I'm gonna be a hermit the rest of the day I think. I know we've established the hot weather and all but JESUS CHRIST

It's actually not too bad today though. I might go outside and work on my atv. I need to get it ready to sell.

By the way, anyone want to buy an atv?

Anyone going to Rockstar Mayhem Fest on Friday? Think I may be going solo, can't decide if I should go when they open at 1 and then bake in the sun or just show up after the sun goes down cause I really only care about seeing Slayer and King Diamond

holy shit this storm is amazing. South scottsdale here. Went into el dorado park with the dog just to take it all in. The lightning, the rain, we are completely soaked!

There are very few things sweeter than desert rain. I love it!

RetroMG

holy shit this storm is amazing. South scottsdale here. Went into el dorado park with the dog just to take it all in. The lightning, the rain, we are completely soaked!

There are very few things sweeter than desert rain. I love it!

On Sunday I drove to a church building down a bone dry street in full sunlight, then less than an hour later I drove back in the middle of a thunderstorm, with the street flooded like it had been raining for days.

I love Monsoon season.

I was born and raised in the valley (East Mesa) I moved to Utah in 2004. One of the things I miss the most is Monsoon season, Desert rain and Pete's Fish and Chips.

Anyone else getting cockroaches the size of New Jersey outside their homes due to the recent rain? Fuck man, I swear they have health bars requiring at least 3 hits to kill them.

Corven

I just recently moved out of yuma, AZ last year, used to live in flagstaff as well ( I always did find it fun telling people about the snow we would get in flagstaff, when people assume all of arizona is a desert).

There are a few things I'll miss about arizona, like Bookman's, and not getting crazy sales tax on my steam purchases. On the flip side I won't miss the heat, or the inability to drink tap water.

My nieces are coming into town for a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do with like 8 year olds besides the children's museum?

My nieces are coming into town for a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions for stuff to do with like 8 year olds besides the children's museum?

co-worker of mine took his daughter to the Musical Instrument Museum and said it was a great time. maybe a day trip further north to Sedona or Payson?

I'm sure some of you have seen the Parker & Sons plumbing commercials. I wonder if they have a policy banning people named Melvin from applying for a job.

It's not bad. Definitely a relaxed location compared to most bars.

I usually don't venture that far into mill these days. I do miss getting Long Island iced tees from the cue club though. Usually spend my time at The Yard, Casey Moores, or Copper Blues

Need help. Which city does AZ gaf prefer, Mesa or Tempe. I am thinking about moving back to Maricopa county as I want to go to ASU for law school. I used to live in Glendale but never ventured that much to the south east side. I am a single 29 year old with a 1 year old son, and I will be buying and not renting; if that matters.

Need help. Which city does AZ gaf prefer, Mesa or Tempe. I am thinking about moving back to Maricopa county as I want to go to ASU for law school. I used to live in Glendale but never ventured that much to the south east side. I am a single 29 year old with a 1 year old son, and I will be buying and not renting; if that matters.

If I had a kid I would probably say Mesa just because Tempe is a lot of college kids renting.

There are parts of Tempe that aren't too college-y. I'd much rather be there than Mesa.

Any particular reason that you would favor Tempe over Mesa? It seems like there is a lot more to do in Tempe so I am inclined to agree with you, but I just wanted your thoughts on the matter.

AntoneM

The law school is moving to downtown Phoenix. Might want to look around that area. I live near 36th St and Thomas which is about 15 minutes from downtown by car, houses around here are $150-200k. They just rebuilt the two elementary schools in the area from scratch so they are band new.

nomster

Any particular reason that you would favor Tempe over Mesa? It seems like there is a lot more to do in Tempe so I am inclined to agree with you, but I just wanted your thoughts on the matter.

More to do, closer to the center of the valley, more interesting neighborhoods in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom